curcumin content of tumeric, and absorption

CCS

Reaction score

Trebor

Reaction score
That is a very interesting article

docj077

Reaction score
I use it for my chronic fatigue, as well. It's supposed to inhibit a few of the pathways that the Epstein-Barr virus uses to attack the immune system, which is good for me as I seem to be chronically infected. So far, it's working great and my hair is also maintaining its own with some vellus growth since I began using it.

From what I can see, it's a really good herb to take...hair loss or no hair loss.

CCS

Reaction score
where do you buy yours?

docj077

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
where do you buy yours?

A health store in the town I live in. I think I end up taking about 900mg/day. I get all my stuff from there. It's quicker than ordering online and it's relatively cheap. Like 5 or 6 dollars for 30 capsules.

CCS

Reaction score
what is the brand name? Maybe I can get it online. NOW is sold online and in stores, so maybe your brand is too.

As for the other guy's question, the same chemicals that damage hair follicles can damage other parts of the body, and this stuff stops that. Also, it is nice not to have sticky flakes in your hair all the time.

docj077

Reaction score
The brand I use is Solaray. 60 capsules for around ten dollars.

CCS

Reaction score
I just bought 50g for $9.50 on http://www.beyondacentury.com. Also got some other stuff that helps absorption. I read that tumeric is 5% curcumin. So I'll just eat 5g per day or maybe more. Easy to do when I flavor it with cinamon.

I got a bunch of other stuff there, too, 5 things for $35 including shipping.

I'll use the extract on my head, and eat the tumeric powder. I guess I can affort to eat the extract. It is a lot cheaper than apple poly.

Now I just need to distribute this RU and sell my share to someone. My hair is looking good, I think.

CCS

Reaction score
I got my curcumin today, and put it in my topical. It is VERY yellow. It will stain your scalp a strong yellow. I recommend it only as an internal. After looking at the total number of grams in my $3.50 big cube of tumeric powder, and multiplying by 5%, and looking at the price of my 50g of curcumin powder, the curcumin powder is a much cheaper source of curcumin. I'm going to take 300mg, three times a day. I'll also eat a little of the tumeric powder still, just in case it has other good stuff. 3g a day should be good. I might be taking more curcumin than I need. I'm taking this dose only because docj077 is taking there abouts and got good results.

G

wal-mart sells it, about $60 for a year's supply if you take 900 mg a day. i don't think you'll find cheaper than that online for 95% curcumin for tablets. Powder is cheaper as you said

docj077

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Should we be considered about this?

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WS ... dmtContent

"In animal studies, turmeric has caused hair loss, changes in blood pressure and liver damage. "

I searched and searched and searched for any link between tumeric, curcumin, or curcuma longa and alopecia/hair loss on pubmed and not a single study came up. Whereever that comes from, I can't seem to find the scientific study that backs it up.

If somebody found it, they either made a side note of it in a random study somewhere or it was a side effect in a very select few.

I can not vouch for this herb as a topical. It's used for sprains and strains topically, but it's also used to thin facial hair in women. My scalp hair has not thinned, but interestingly enough, my facial hair has become less course.

Just don't take more than a gram of the stuff everyday. I only take 500-600 mg of the stuff everyday and I haven't had any side effects.

Do not take huge doses of this stuff. The same goes for any herb.

G

Hey Doctor,

Is 450 mg of curcumin twice a day okay or should I cut back to 450 mg once a day? Will 450 mg once a day be effective enough do you think?

And is 1260 mg of GTE per day too much if I am on Avodart?

How about the 5 mg of Biotin and 100 mg of B6 and 200 IU of Vitamin E? Are those too much? I tried to mimic your dosages as much as possible with what Wal-Mart doses come in. I just want to take enough of each for it to be effective.

Thanks.

docj077

Reaction score
Jayman,

I only take 300 mg of turmeric with 285 mg of it being curcumin extract. I take one 300 mg capsule twice a day. Be careful with the Walmart stuff. One bottle I looke at had 450 mg of curcumin longa root, but only 50 mg of curcumin extract. I don't know if their is a different between the % root and % extract and how that applies to real life results.

As for the GTE, I don't know if their is such a thing as taking too much of it. If you find a study that says taking too much is bad for one's health, I'd like to know. I'm only taking 630 mg per day now (one 315 mg capsule twice per day).

Again, be careful with these herbs and try to only take what is recommended on the bottle. I'm taking the minimum possible right now and it seems to be working fairly well. I have a lot of vellus hair growth exactly where my hair line used to be before I ever started the male pattern baldness process. However, it will take a few months to a year to know if this treatment will allow those hairs to turn terminal as I expect that they will need to go through a few cycles. If it doesn't work, at least all these antioxidants will be healthy for me.

So, be careful and if you have any problems, do not use these herbs anymore.

....the biotin, B6, and Vitamin E are all fine. Any excess of B6 is urinated out and biotin is absorbed as needed. Your vitamin E amount should be fine, as well.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
curcumin is same as turmeric right. Is there harmful effects if you have too much. East Indians add turmeric to most of their food. Maybe that is why they have such low rates of balding.

So, How much turmeric powder is OK. Above what levels can be harmful ?

docj077

Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain,

I don't buy the powder (although I probably could), but instead, I buy the extract from my local health foods place. It comes in a capsule form. We only taking milligrams of the stuff. Doses of multiple grams can be detrimental to the immune system and/or inhibit the body's clotting system. However, you have to take a lot of the stuff for that to happen.

If you're going to use it, use it responsibly and realize that it is healthy both internally and externally....just not at incredibly high doses.

It's used as an anti-inflammatory and an anti-cancer agent among other things.

G

Doctor,

I'm going to cut back on my GTE to match yours. I misread your regimen thinking that you take 630 of GTE twice a day

Now I'm going to take 315 mg of GTE in the morning and 315 at night. And I'll take 450 mg of the tumeric(it comes in 450 mg caps) in the morning and none at night if you think it's real.

My Green Tea bottle from Wal-Mart says that it has 630 mg of Green Tea Exract(Camellia sinensis)(aerial)(standardized to contain 15% polyphenols, 95mg). Does that sound ok?

And my Wal-mart Turmeric says this on the back: Turmeric(Curcuma longa)(root) 450 mg, Turmeric extract 50 mg (Curcuma longa) (Standardized to contain 95% Curcuminoids). Is this similar to the stuff that you take or am I getting ripped off? Thanks.

Edit: I just realized that I bought the curcumin that you told me to be careful of. Lol. I guess I need to find real stuff when I run out of this? I think I found what you take, maybe I should just order this and take two a day?

http://www.smartbomb.com/slr3800.html

I also did one find more source that suggests hair loss with turmeric:

"In animal studies, hair loss (alopecia) and lowering of blood pressure have been reported. In theory, turmeric may weaken the immune system, and should be used cautiously in patients with immune system deficiencies."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... meric.html

docj077

Reaction score
JayMan,

That's exactly the same brand that I take for my curcumin.

As for the NIH stuff, from what I've read about the studies they tend to see problems when they give multiple grams of the stuff to mice or rats. Now, that's a lot of herb/kg and it would take a lot to match that in humans.

I think we should do more research, but until we do, stick with the recommended doses on the bottles. The Solaray bottles say that you can take three pills a day. That's almost a gram.