Death of the internet?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
somone uk said:
the banks caused the recession because they got too greedy for their own good.
I shouldn't have said Brown caused the recession; we were still riding the last few puffs of his/our decade-long debt binge. But it's this profligacy during the 'good times' (and addiction to 'big' government) that left us in such a weak position to counter the downturn - and guaranteed that post-recession Britain will be saddled with a truly awesome level of Govt. debt - moving swiftly towards 100% of GDP, and higher still once you factor in his off-balance sheet PFI dealings & the unfunded public sector pension liabilities.

It wasn't all bad from Brown's tenure: the creation of an independent BoE saved us from a re-run of late-eighties Tory insanity - cutting interest rates (& taxes) as inflation & housing pushed higher - which culminated in our joining ERM, making a bad situation even worse.

On the plus side, the Tories (before & after the '90s recession) implemented an array of policies which transformed the flexibility & competitiveness of UK Plc; and many would argue those acts helped underpin the period of strong, low-inflationary growth which came from '93 onwards, and that much of this advantage has since been eroded by Labour.

somone uk said:
The banking sector is the largest sector of our economy which makes it hit Britain hardest so we aren't just going to just spring out of a rescission like that
Pre-recession, financial services (a broad category) accounted for 9 - 9.5 per cent of GDP, compared with 13 -14 per cent for manufacturing. I'm with you on not expecting a 'springy' recovery: public-sector retrenchment, subdued wage growth, household indebtedness, a toppy housing market, and interest rates that can only go one way all make a strong, consumer-led recovery (a la the early nineties) less likely.

somone uk said:
This graph also proves how under a fiscal conservative government of the 80's and early 90's caused massive unemployment during their recessions yet despite this being a "worse" recession than the 80's and 90's we somehow managed to keep unemployment to 2.5m not bringing it to exceed 3m
The number of economically inactive is at a record level; and I'm not convinced we've yet seen the peak on the ILO measure. Time will tell. That said, an extra 350,000 on the Govt. payroll, more mature students, and a welcome tendency for business to retain staff on reduced pay rather than sack them, have all helped keep the total down. Also, we seem to have avoided the retail sector meltdown of the 90s; credit to the BoE's savage rate cuts saving the housing market from total collapse and leaving the millions of variable-rate mortgage holders far better off.

I'm not sure why you slipped in the 'fiscally conservative' dig, as if to imply that adherence to this ideology sparked the '90 - '92 recession, there was nothing remotely fiscally conservative about what was behind the late-eighties Lawson boom.

somone uk said:
public spending cuts don't solve much, after all every cut you make is also a job cut and the last thing we need is a raise in unemployment
Actually, the last thing we need is a gilt's strike (and the high interest rates/currency instability that accompany it) brought on by excessive Govt. debt. We can't just assume that there will be willing purchasers - at least not at today's low (4% ish) yield - if there isn't a credible plan/timescale to reduce the deficit.

Given the lag between announced cuts and implementation at a departmental level, I think the post-election Govt. should get started as soon as - wage cuts across (most of) the public sector. Personally I'd use initial savings to cut employer NI contributions, try to get the private sector hiring again.

Some more reading in re our debt: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm ... -room.html

Slarti

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
oni, I work so close to home I don't even have to leave the front door to 'punch in'............................

Sunny down here. Still recovering from a stomach bug, but plan on hitting the beach this weekend for some truly outrageous ogling of the ladies...............................

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
back to the digital economy bill:
Stephen fry hit the nail right on the head
[youtube:2b817sr8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brfR1-WGkps[/youtube:2b817sr8]

HughJass

Reaction score
The FBI is asking Internet companies not to oppose a controversial proposal that would require firms, including Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, and Google, to build in backdoors for government surveillance. . . . That included a scheduled trip this month to the West Coast — which was subsequently postponed — to meet with Internet companies’ CEOs and top lawyers. . . .

The FBI general counsel’s office has drafted a proposed law that the bureau claims is the best solution: requiring that social-networking Web sites and providers of VoIP, instant messaging, and Web e-mail alter their code to ensure their products are wiretap-friendly.

“If you create a service, product, or app that allows a user to communicate, you get the privilege of adding that extra coding,â€￾ an industry representative who has reviewed the FBI’s draft legislation told CNET.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574280 ... sites-now/

yucky