Default Had two feet of long and curly hair..and now am I balding?

borntoexpire

Reaction score
Had two feet of long and curly hair..and now am I balding?

Back when I had long hair, i noticed that the hair seemed a little thinner in the front, but I had overall very uniform thickness. In the past two years, I've been shaving my head and I noticed that there was contrast between the hair in the front and the hair everywhere else. Now, I've grown it for a few months and I can see thinner parts on top of the head. I'd like some opinions from the board.

I am not sure if I am balding or not because I don't seem have the typical pattern..but maybe this is the start of it. Is there anything that I can do? Or am I hallucinating and everything is fine?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/10086_10151153059442050_1348001368_n.jpg

10086_10151153059442050_1348001368_n.jpgPC230423.jpg

Last edited:

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
um.you hair looks good to me..have you got a family history of hair loss?

borntoexpire

Reaction score
You really think it looks fine? I would appreciate the utmost honesty from anyone. I can't get offended. As for genetics, my grandfather on my mothers side had a complete horse shoe baldness pattern. My father however has a full head of hair, but his father was bald. So it's probably my fate to go bald..I just was hoping I wouldn't notice signs so soon. Towards the front of my head, you can see scalp, which I've never ever noticed before until the past year or two.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes I am telling you the truth! your hair looks fine to me! I am not an expert or anything but have a close look at your hair for the next 6 months and take montly picture. then you compare these pictures to decide whether or not your hair is actually thinning out!!!!

ldk13

Reaction score
I think you hair is fine. The lighting in the two pics is different but I could say this for almost everyone else here: I wish my hair was as full as yours!

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
have you a before photo to compare?, but in anyway
Now your goal could be mantain your hair, you have a dense hair in this moment.

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
How could we tell if you're balding from those pics? No comparison and your hair is long with no temples showing. Anyway looks fine now, just keep an eye on density and temple recession.

borntoexpire

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I would be very happy if I could maintain what I have currently for another 20 years. In the picture maybe it just seems like the front is significantly lighter/thinner due to the flash. In the second picture, there is less flash and the hair color is uniform.

Anyway, here is an update with new photos showcasing the front and back of my head. I circled the questionable areas. I am sorry to anyone that is offended by my posts. I understand I have more hair than a lot of people here, but baldness is in my genetics and I would ideally be happy if I could maintain what I have as long as possible. Anyway, I appreciate the input from anyone here. I didn't post pictures from my sides because I am honestly confident that my hairline has remained the same for the past four years.

PC240463.jpgPC2404631.jpghair-back1.jpghair-back2.jpghairtop1.jpghairtop2.jpg

The last two pictures have the same spot circled from different angles. I just noticed this now, never realized I had it and I wish I never took these pictures now.

Here's an update with my hair combed back fresh out of the shower. You can now have a better idea of my density.
The purpose of this is to seek advice from members. Do you still feel that I am not balding? If you do indeed think that I am balding, I would like advice. I really do not have a lot of money and I would not want to spend it on chemicals, but I really do not want to lose my hair until I'm at least 40 or so. I greatly appreciate any possible help.

Right out of the shower, combed back.

Front:

430839_10151155793012050_1535926769_n.jpg

Back straight:

16551_10151155792947050_39543729_n.jpg

Back slanted:

312695_10151155792812050_1424198195_n.jpg

Top:

480560_10151155793177050_1303752009_n.jpg

Side 1:
155857_10151155793162050_1402598372_n.jpg

Side 2:
521712_10151155793032050_546590184_n.jpg

Front Again, but this time about 10 minutes after the shower with less flash focused on the front

68958_10151155793027050_1611585766_n.jpg

Last edited:

HairGuru22

Established Member
Reaction score
The before pictures of your hair are crucial in order to give you a decent judgement whether you are thinning on the front or not. However, your hair looks fine now and I think there is no sign of male pattern baldness yet but if you think that there is then I suggest that you closely examine it from now on. As soon you notice thinning then you can do something about it.

borntoexpire

Reaction score
I have before photos, but all from a distance and none this close. From a distance, I look exactly the same. What do you think about the dry photos towards the end with the spot that I circled? Is that normal? Also, in the frontal wet photo, do is that normal? That very first wet photo worries me. Also, I'd liek to add that I've always had this very high hairline even as a teen. People used to tell me I was balding then....but the hairline was high since I was a kid. My forehead was always very large relative to others. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Do you guys think I should start doing something about this now? I don't want to take chemicals unecsesarily, but I'd like to avoid having a bald spot before I am 40. I am 24 now, so I hope it stays consistent until my 30's.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks fine. I see no male pattern baldness. I would continue to make pics and wait with treatment until you are sure. Or go to a dermatologist and let him/her inspect your hair and tell you if you have miniaturized hair anywhere.

borntoexpire

Reaction score
So I heard exactly what I did not want to hear. I have miniaturized hairs all throughout my hairline. My crown is ok but there are a small percentage of miniaturized hairs there, not terrible yet. However, I now have proof that I am not hallucinating. I am in fact thinning and I'm not sure what to do. The therapy they suggested costs $2100 and then $200 or so to maintain for however long I want. They recommended some sort of product called EXT which contains minodoxil. Anyway, they were telling me that I'd be the perfect candidate seeing as I still have a lot of thin hairs which could be potentiallly restored whereas those with more advanced baldness can't get an improvement as easily.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair is miniaturized at the first moment when appears over the scalp.
Did the doctor a phototrichogram?

BTW this is the product EXT
[h=2]What is the 5 Step Process of Extreme Hair Therapy?[/h]Step One: Moisturizing or Revitalizing Cleanser
This moisturizing shampoo is rich with vitamins and works to cleanse the scalp. Though it claims to revitalize and strengthen thinning hair, the ingredients are not listed on their website. Many hair rejuvenators and thickening agents (commonly referred to as volumizing shampoos) help to make hair appear thicker as they take on hydration and swell. Unfortunately, these thickening agents do nothing to stop the progression of male pattern baldness, even if it temporarily makes the hair shaft appear fatter.

Step Two: Enzyme Scalp Cleanser
Claiming to be a “new breakthrough”, this organic formula removes sebum oils that can sometimes hinder hair growth. Though sebum buildup, excessive dandruff, and scalp dermatitis are sometimes responsible for certain non-genetic types of balding such as diffuse alopecia or telogen effluvium, it does not promote androgenic alopecia (hereditary male or female hair loss).

Step Three: Energizing Conditioner
Adding nutrients such as proteins and wheat amino acids, this conditioner helps to promote a healthy scalp and hair growth. It should be noted that nothing in this step claims to stop hair loss or stimulate hair regrowth.

Step Four: Hair Revitalizing Complex
This dietary supplement containing Vitamins B3, D, and E, Biotin, saw palmetto and nettle root is taken twice daily, once in the morning and once at night. Some of these ingredients can also be found in several other hair loss products such as Provillus,Procerin, and Avacor.

Though some of these ingredients work to treat benign prostatic hyperplasis (BPH) in men by inhibiting DHT (the hormone responsible for female and male pattern baldness), no formal clinical studies have been performed on successful hair loss treatment. It should be noted that tocotrienol molecules in Vitamin E may effectively treat alopecia but its counterpart tocopherol (commonly found in alternative herbal hair loss treatments such as HairMax MD), is not supported. Additionally, because there are no regulations on herbal medications in the United States, the daily recommended value and dosage in Extreme Hair Therapy is based on something other than FDA regulation.
Step Five: Minoxidil (2% or 5%)
Minoxidil (the active ingredient in Rogaine and Xandrox) is an FDA approved hair regrowth formula and is used by many balding men and women with great success. Because Extreme Hair Therapy includes this, they are legally allowed to claim it to be FDA approved.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So I heard exactly what I did not want to hear. I have miniaturized hairs all throughout my hairline. My crown is ok but there are a small percentage of miniaturized hairs there, not terrible yet. However, I now have proof that I am not hallucinating. I am in fact thinning and I'm not sure what to do. The therapy they suggested costs $2100 and then $200 or so to maintain for however long I want. They recommended some sort of product called EXT which contains minodoxil. Anyway, they were telling me that I'd be the perfect candidate seeing as I still have a lot of thin hairs which could be potentiallly restored whereas those with more advanced baldness can't get an improvement as easily.

Did you see a doctor/dermatologist or did you go to a hair clinic? $2100 is an awuful lot of money and no sane doctor will ask you for that kind of money. Maybe get a second opinion?

borntoexpire

Reaction score
I saw a hair clinic. I definitely would like a second opinion, but he showed me zoomed in photos of my entire scalp. The hairline looked very bad with mostly thin hairs. My crown and middle looked pretty good only having a few thin hairs. However, my hairline was the worst. I understand that this clinic is not a doctors office, but seeing my hairline relative to the rest of my scalp, I immediately saw how I have a very large amount of miniaturized hairs at the hairline.

I scanned the brouchure and attached it to this post. I understand this is a little bit ridiculous, but after seeing my head on the big screen, I have visual evidence that I am indeed receding and thinning. I definitely will not be going this route...especially since I do not have this amount of money to throw out. The reason why I went to this hairclub clinic is because they offer free consultations. A doctors office would charge me a substantial sum just to tell me the same thing. After doing some research, a lot of people seem to report hairclub as a scam. However, with that set aside, I saw my head on the screen and the video/pictures do not lie. I guess I will see a dermatologist. I want to start taking vitamins and using organic shampoos as a start, but I definitely wil lnot be going with hairclub. I'm not a sucker, but I figured I would have nothing to lose from the free consultation.

02241202.jpg

02241201.jpg

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh, that's good that you are not sucked into it! anyway if you are serious about your hair loss thingy, just read and research a lot !! Good luck!

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
did you shave your scalp? If yes, have a photo?
how much time you have a shaved head?