Defenton's Story - (end of year cosmetic shot)

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Defenton's Story - anniversary update

Ok here is my one year anniversary update special!

Just to explain. I shaved off my regrowth as an experiment on 20.12.07 so all regrowth is since then. The photos are, in order; front, new hair forward, front, hair back and then left and right temples and finally, all hair forward. Some of the photos are set against the ones I took before I left. They were taken in natural light and dry, with a new camera with a piss poor close-up capability, sorry.

As you can tell, my hair is pretty long at the moment, which hides the loss pretty well, at least to the non-follically challenged. It's also at a stage now when I get a few compliments every week from people about how good/much better it looks. I, unfortunately, get more about the watch :dunno:

My regimen, which I have steadfastly adhered to since 27/03/07 is :

1.25mg proscar (1/4 a 5mg pill)
5% Rogaine Foam twice a day
1% Nizoral 2-3 per week

10 weeks after I shaved the new hair, on 9.03.08, I measured the length of the regrowth at the front in line with my nose, and the centre of both temples. The results were:

LT: 3.8cm
RT: 3.5cm
F: 3.8cm

So over those 10 weeks I experienced a growth of 1.5cm/month approx. Which is about normal speed.

Just let me know what you all think:

Front, new hair forward

before
after

Front, new hair back

Left Temple

before
after

Right Temple

before
after

Hair Forward

ps. The images are a lower resolution because the internet is slow atm so holla if you need them bumped up a notch

pps. if you need the angles altered so they fit better with the older ones just tell me and ill take some more

safe

amsch

Reaction score
Re: Defenton's Story - (ANNIVERSARY UPDATE!)

Great success, what else could we say =D

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

*edit* photos altered to match last lot better and resolution bumped :jump:

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

thanks man :hump:

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

ok about time for an update. I'll do sets. First lot is with my hair fairly long, second lot will be with hair short. Let me know what you think. It still seems that alot of the new hair , although in a nw1 pattern, doesn't grow beyond about 6cm. Saying that, there is still alot of new permanent legit hair and it's thicker than day 1 and is night and day better than how it started, so don't interpret my comments as fatalism.

The photos are hair back; hair back with shorter hair forward; left temple; right temple; hair down. Oh and day 1 just for comparison.

hair back

hair back 2

left temple

right temple

hair down

day 1

Comments/Questions welcome

safe

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

oh and my hair was damp...

tgates209

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Defenton's Story - (25 JULY 2008 UPDATE)

I'm covetous!

Good for you. We can all only hope to have the hairline of Nick Diaz!

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

Or Joe Stevenson's

Obsidian

Reaction score

Amazing is all I can say. Your left temple filled in quite good or maybe just my imagination.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

You definitely respond well to minoxidil? How long have you been on it?

jake80

Reaction score

Hi Defenton,

I'm from the UK also and am new to all this as I have only just started to think about trying to stop my hair loss. Just wanted to ask a few questions. I have heard of a product called regaine is this in some way the same as rogaine. Also how long does it take for you to get your rogaine foam delivered because I want to start it as soon as possible. Can you get Regaine/Rogaine foam in the UK? When you went travelling did you take the Nizoral shampoo with you as well. Didn't taking all this with you for 4 months take up a lot of room and weigh your bags down. I really want to go backpacking for a while but the thought of taking all this stuff with me is making me think twice. Congratulations on all your success, your story has inspired me to try and give all of this a go.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

Obsidian: Yes I think it has definitely filled in closer to the rest of the hair as it was pretty difficult to seperate out what was old and new hair. Closer to the nw1 pattern, however, it is still quite clearly new hair. I'll take a photo of it if i can .

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

DoctorHouse said:
You definitely respond well to minoxidil? How long have you been on it?

since March 07 I'd say. Overall I have responded very well, only the very front of my vertex (about 1cm) remains unresponsive. Although alot of the minoxidil hair doesn't seem to grow very fast, if at all beyond a certain point. This is an issue I've never really understood or been able to get a clear answer on. So I cannot say for sure why it is. :dunno:

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

jake80 said:
Hi Defenton,

I'm from the UK also and am new to all this as I have only just started to think about trying to stop my hair loss. Just wanted to ask a few questions. I have heard of a product called regaine is this in some way the same as rogaine. Also how long does it take for you to get your rogaine foam delivered because I want to start it as soon as possible. Can you get Regaine/Rogaine foam in the UK? When you went travelling did you take the Nizoral shampoo with you as well. Didn't taking all this with you for 4 months take up a lot of room and weigh your bags down. I really want to go backpacking for a while but the thought of taking all this stuff with me is making me think twice. Congratulations on all your success, your story has inspired me to try and give all of this a go.

Hi jake80

I believe regaine has the same active ingredient, minoxidyl, as rogaine, it is simply a different brand name and is sold over here in shops instead of rogaine.

As far as i know regaine has no foam and rogaine foam is only available in america.

The foam takes no more than 2 weeks to be delivered. It may take less if you get it from eBay but I can't be bothered with the hastle of bidding etc.

I left the nizoral at home. The finasteride was about the size of a pack of paracetemol or valium, or xanax if you were lucky like this one pharmacy in a place called Siem Riep. I think i took 6 cans of rogaine but ploughed through those due to the humidity tending to liquify their contents (no fridges in £3 a night accomodation) i dont know if you have seen a can but its about an inch in diameter and 6 high so pretty small really. Overall they took up the place of maybe 2 books, say THe World According To Garp and Catch 22.

what is your current situation anyway? norwood etc...

Glad to know I inspired you, other people on here inspired me.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

tgates209 said:
Defenton said:
Or Joe Stevenson's
...but definitely not Randy's!

have you ever noticed how phil baroni seems to be on meds (other than steroids) ? when he faught Dave Menne (top5 knockouts ever) he was nearly see through in a way that suggested 'horse shoe incoming' but now, 6 years later, his hair looks alot better.

jake80

Reaction score

Hi Defenton,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah going travelling does seem like quite a possible option. I think that this was one of my main concerns. Usng all this stuff seems fine when you are at home and living the 9-5 but as soon as I started thinking about the logistics of being able to do this whilst travelling and going on holidays etc I started to think twice. I don't want to stop living my life and doing the things I want to do even if that does mean losing my hair. Anyway, I have just ordered some rogaine foam and I am taking a cheap generic brand of propecia which I ordered online, so I hope it is the real thing. I've just been reading about Avodart and from what I have read so far it seems that it blocks more DHT than propecia and so I was wondering if you know why more people don't take this instead. I aso don't know much about shedding. Does this happen often when you start using treatments or does it only happen at the start. What I mean is should I expect to see shedding every so often for the rest of my life when using propecia, Nizoral and rogaine. My hair looks very similar to how yours did in the first photo. No real hair loss at the back as yet but I am losing hair at my temples. I have read that nothing much seems to work for hair loss in this area so I guess the best I can hope for is to maintain and maybe thicken up the hair I have. I have long hair down to my shoulders so my hair loss isn't that noticible at the moment. I used to have short hair but the last time it was short I had no hair loss, so if I was to have it cut now I have no idea what it would look like or how I would go about styling it. Another thing I'm a bit concerned about is how putting rogaine on my hair is going to make my hair feel and look. Do you have any problems with this and do you use any other shampoos/conditioners with the Nizoral?

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

Avodart has stronger side effects that for most people tends to outweigh the benefits. Moreover, despite being excellent on paper, the avodart forums are full of morose people who claim their hairlines were eaten by it.

Shedding is equally enigmatic. Your typically prone to minoxidil and finasteride sheds. finasteride sheds tend to be over the whole head wheres minoxidil are more localised. Personally I endured both. The finasteride started within a fortnight of starting and made my hair overall alot thinner. I had a minoxidil shed about 6 months later and my temples became a lot thinner. After both sheds, however, the hair thickened up. Other people tend to have more consistent or persistent sheds. I was lucky.

The foam does make my hair feel a little dry :(