Dhys' Story

Dhys

Reaction score
Honestly what can I say? I'm seventeen years old, I've been slowly losing my hair since I was sixteen and the only way I can really describe it is heartbreaking.

My hairloss isn't really noticable to anyone except me and the people I show my hairline but I know it's there and it kills me.
I keep my hair long, partially to cover the hairline but mostly because I love my hair long.

At the moment I'm really not using anything for my hair because meds are damn near impossible to access at the moment, propecia is incredibly expensive on the amount of money I earn and minoxidil would me to much of a hassle with my hair length.

I am however using 2% topical spironolactone lotion (Dr Lee) and T-gel.. but I haven't really had any results from it so I've been looking into Fincar from united pharmacies anyone have any experience with them?

Any input, advice or anything else would really, really be appreciated. I just want to continue being a teenager without staring at the mirror everyday, counting the hairfall in the shower and such.

Dhys.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
I've only been fighting the fight since last august, and it really takes a while to get a good idea of how far male pattern baldness has really progressed for you (took me a couple months to know how much thinning I had). I also have longer hair, and consequently I didn't even notice my temples were receding for a while, or that my crown had thinned a little.
Anyway, I got on propecia very soon after I realized I was balding because from what I researched, it seemed and still seems to be the best approach, especially for younger guys that haven't lost much yet. Propecia is expensive, but the patent has expired so you can expect a price drop in the semi-near future. However, the drug in propecia is just finasteride, and many people take fincar or cut proscar into 4ths or 5ths, which is really pretty cheap.
If you read a lot of the posts here, you'll find that the general consensus is to get on propecia (or proscar, fincar, etc.) and stay on it for a year before deciding to ditch it or not. You can always add minoxidil later or switch to dutasteride, but I would wait a year after starting propecia. But get on it NOW! Propecia is the best drug out there for male pattern baldness, but it's better known for maintaining hair, with a decent chance of regrowth. However, since you're pretty young, I would talk to your doctor first because it may mess with you if you're not done developing. I'm 19, and I figured I'm about as developed as I'm going to be, except for more facial hair and that sort of thing.

In summary, get on finasteride if you think you're safe to, stop counting hairs because it really has very little relevance on your particular situation and it can be extremely stressful, and TRY to not worry about it. This is the first time in history when men can actually DO something about hairloss, and new advances are coming. And hey, it really sucks being so young and losing your hair, but I've been up and down a lot since I discovered I had male pattern baldness, and I discovered that positive thinking is the single best solution.

good luck man! THINK POSITIVE!!!!

Dhys

Reaction score
I was considering using fincar (Quartered), topical spironolactone 5% on the hairline and alternating between Nizoral and American Crew's copper peptide shampoo.
I know there isn't a growth stimulator but to be honest i'd be happy maintaining what I've got for a few years... although I'd be overjoyed if I got back some of the half inch I've lost from my temples and maybe a little density.

lilltoolate

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there...
I had similar situations that u r describing here..my severe hairloss started in my late teens..i also didnt notice it much until a few months later when i got a hair cut and saw an obvious receded hairline....i too had long hair initially and stopped minoxidil after a couple of months bcos of all the hassle and my lack of knowledge...4 yrs down the line that is the thing i regret the most...i strongly recommend that u start minoxidil right away as it is a growth stimulant and u r more likely to gain from it in the long run than any other topical solution imo....

if u have signs of male pattern baldness i wud recommend that u start on propecia maybe after 1.5 to 2yrs considering ur age.....and u shud definitely consult a good Doctor and get his opinion abt this...

good luck to u...

u can c for urself how horrible my situation turned out few yrs down the
line without proper treatments...my story...
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=32167

Dhys

Reaction score
Ordered Fincar from United Pharms last night. Hoping it comes within the next week or two.
Photo updates when I get in from work.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dhys said:
Honestly what can I say? I'm seventeen years old, I've been slowly losing my hair since I was sixteen and the only way I can really describe it is heartbreaking.

My hairloss isn't really noticable to anyone except me and the people I show my hairline but I know it's there and it kills me.
I keep my hair long, partially to cover the hairline but mostly because I love my hair long.

At the moment I'm really not using anything for my hair because meds are damn near impossible to access at the moment, propecia is incredibly expensive on the amount of money I earn and minoxidil would me to much of a hassle with my hair length.

I am however using 2% topical spironolactone lotion (Dr Lee) and T-gel.. but I haven't really had any results from it so I've been looking into Fincar from united pharmacies anyone have any experience with them?

Any input, advice or anything else would really, really be appreciated. I just want to continue being a teenager without staring at the mirror everyday, counting the hairfall in the shower and such.

Dhys.

Get on Proscar. It is 5 times more potent than Propecia. Cut your Proscar pills into 1/4ths, and you can get the same 1 mg of finastride that protects your hair as you would with 1 Propecia pill.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dhys said:
Ordered Fincar from United Pharms last night. Hoping it comes within the next week or two.

That was a very smart move man.

Can you get ahold of 30 bucks so you can go to wallmart and buy "Equate?" It is generic Rogain you can buy for cheap.

Dhys

Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
Dhys said:

That was a very smart move man.

Can you get ahold of 30 bucks so you can go to wallmart and buy "Equate?" It is generic Rogain you can buy for cheap.

I'm thinking of spending a few months on finasteride alone, just to see how well I respond. minoxidil would be a real b**ch to apply twice a day, especially with my lifestyle.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
17? Losing hair at such a young age sucks.

I'm 21, and have long hair which I'm scared shitless of losing. Don't know when it started disappearing, but it became obvious as my hair started to grow: I realised I couldn't get the Thurston Moore fringe I was after, just not enough hair. :(

The Fincar should be fine, but you might want to leave it a year or so if you're only 17 and still have some growing to do. See what your Doctor says

Best of luck man.

Oh and astral week, A Velvet Underground fan I see? Awesome stuff!

Dhys

Reaction score
Stu85 said:
17? Losing hair at such a young age sucks.

I'm 21, and have long hair which I'm scared shitless of losing. Don't know when it started disappearing, but it became obvious as my hair started to grow: I realised I couldn't get the Thurston Moore fringe I was after, just not enough hair. :(

The Fincar should be fine, but you might want to leave it a year or so if you're only 17 and still have some growing to do. See what your Doctor says

Best of luck man.

Oh and astral week, A Velvet Underground fan I see? Awesome stuff!

My hair is about double the length of Thurston Moore. I supose I'm lucky in a way that I can still pull it off nicely.

I'm pretty sure I don't have anymore growing to do and my derm and doctor both recommended it.

SnowRider22

Established Member
Reaction score
I started losing at 17 man, there's alot of teens losing their hair lately it seems, I'm 19 now. Anyways, if I were you I would get on .5mg of Proscar, wait about 6-8 months and see how you are doing then. Have any pics?

Dhys

Reaction score
Propecia arrived this afternoon!

Took my first quarter of fincar about an hour ago. Must say I'm very optimistic, albeit a little nervous about sides.

Starting pictures to come as soon as I can find the camera.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dhys said:
Propecia arrived this afternoon!

Took my first quarter of fincar about an hour ago. Must say I'm very optimistic, albeit a little nervous about sides.

Starting pictures to come as soon as I can find the camera.

Doesn't taking the pilll seem like a great relief? You are actually doing something about your hairloss now.

Dhys

Reaction score
Well it is a relief, at the same time I'm a little paranoid about sides.

I made sure I didn't have any earlier on today with my girlfriend though. Twice, just to be sure. (Six hours after my first quarter of finasteride) You know, just to be safe and all. :lol:

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't research this site for info on sides, you'll just freak yourself out. these people can be very neurotic.
and complements on the jesus and mary chain, stu85

Dhys

Reaction score
astral week said:
Don't research this site for info on sides, you'll just freak yourself out. these people can be very neurotic.
The sides listed here are pretty mundane compared to the stuff I've heard from nutcases trolling the forums. I'm a little paranoid about sides, but not so much.

I do however love checking for them... my girlfriend seems to enjoy it too.

...Seems my libido is fine! :lol:

- Ninja edit. :ninja:
It's probably not a side effect as such, and to me seems really normal but my balls are kinda uncomfortable. Like someones squeezing them a little or a mild case of blue balls. Any opinions?

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dhys said:
astral week said:
The sides listed here are pretty mundane compared to the stuff I've heard from nutcases trolling the forums. I'm a little paranoid about sides, but not so much.

It's probably not a side effect as such, and to me seems really normal but my balls are kinda uncomfortable. Like someones squeezing them a little or a mild case of blue balls. Any opinions?

My balls have been extra saggy since I started finastride.

Dhys

Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
Dhys said:
astral week said:

My balls have been extra saggy since I started finastride.

I'll have to watch out for ball sag.

Day four. No sides whatsoever, not that i expect any this early but it =is- nice to know.

Dhys

Reaction score
Two weeks on quartered fincar, no really noticable sides apart from a barely noticable dull testicle ache (Which just reminded me to take my finasteride actually).

No reduced loss as of yet, but I'm optimistic.

Adding nizoral when I have some spare cash and possibly minoxidil in a few months depending on how well I respond to finasteride.

These be good times.

G

Good Luck, try to enjoy your youth you will regret it later if you don´t. Try not to let hairloss control your life. Good Luck!