didnt take my cap off

Ackers24

Reaction score
I rarely venture outside at all without my hat on, but thats mostly because im in the UK and are weather kinda sucks and with a bald head its really cold, but i wouldn't say i wear it to hide hair loss, ive worn hats for about 8yrs now, prefer beanies to baseball hats, cos yeah the visor kinda impairs my vision a little and it leaves a mark on your forehead which doesn't look great lol, but i only wear hats outside as soon as im in doors where ever iam it comes off or in the summer when the weather is good i keep it off outside so i can get a nice little tan, if people think im hiding something then so what, not my problem....i like wearing hats and i will continue to wear them aslong as i want too, i'd say the only major problem with wearing them when your bald,receding,thinning whatever is when it comes to women, because a girl might find you attractive and the thought of taking off your hat and her suddenly not being attracted to you anymore could be a little painful, but hey. if there like that then they aint worth the time anyway....hats FTW!!

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Ackers24 said:
I rarely venture outside at all without my hat on, but thats mostly because im in the UK and are weather kinda sucks and with a bald head its really cold, but i wouldn't say i wear it to hide hair loss, ive worn hats for about 8yrs now, prefer beanies to baseball hats, cos yeah the visor kinda impairs my vision a little and it leaves a mark on your forehead which doesn't look great lol, but i only wear hats outside as soon as im in doors where ever iam it comes off or in the summer when the weather is good i keep it off outside so i can get a nice little tan, if people think im hiding something then so what, not my problem....i like wearing hats and i will continue to wear them aslong as i want too, i'd say the only major problem with wearing them when your bald,receding,thinning whatever is when it comes to women, because a girl might find you attractive and the thought of taking off your hat and her suddenly not being attracted to you anymore could be a little painful, but hey. if there like that then they aint worth the time anyway....hats FTW!!

Yes i wear a lot of hats also. Ive met many women who like me and flirt with me when im wearing a hat yet often when im not wearing it, i get no interest or looks from girls and I believe 100% this is because of my hairline. I dont know what your stage of hairloss is at, but im still fighting it and have quite a bit of hair left but I just dont like woolie beanies because everytime I wear one and take it off there is like 50 or more hairs stuck to the wool everytime, yet if i wear a baseball cap for long periods remove it, usually i get no hair or very very few. Sounds ridiculous but thats just what ive noticed when wearing hats over the years. You noticed that?

Ackers24

Reaction score
My hair loss is i'd say a nor wood 3, i shave it with no guard so its just stubble, my hair is rubbish, receded alot at the temples and just starting to get a nice little bald spot on the crown, but hell so what it doesn't really bother me, if women don't like me because of it then there loss not mine, i actually get alot of looks from people when i venture out without my hat on, from men and women, i know there looking at my head but its kinda funny i think.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah I remember when I shaved my head little kids would look at it like it was some kind of deformity. :freak: :freaked:

satch5150

Reaction score
ok, few points here.

1. My female friend and I are getting haircut at the same hairdresser (nice chick btw). I once told her that my hair is thinning and possibly in near future I will need to buzz cut it. When my female friend when to her, she told her about me complaining about my hair. She said that many men complain about it but she personally doesn't see that much of a problem in it, just cut it short and live with it.

2. Never wear hats to cover sth, wear them if you want them/like'm/want to look different that day. If your hairloss gets really bad. Like a big bald spot in the crown or very thin. Buzz cut it or shave it. Don't hold on to your last straw of hair, if it looks like crap shave it. You won't hide you are balding because you're shaved, nothing to hide there:)

good luck

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A little off topic here but I prefer baseball hats because when I take the beaner off my hair looks like sh@t. Maybe if I had a shaved head or really short hair cut it wouldn't matter. I also notice I shed less with baseball hats though I doubt it matters because losing hair by wearing hats is just a myth.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
satch5150 said:
ok, few points here.

1. My female friend and I are getting haircut at the same hairdresser (nice chick btw). I once told her that my hair is thinning and possibly in near future I will need to buzz cut it. When my female friend when to her, she told her about me complaining about my hair. She said that many men complain about it but she personally doesn't see that much of a problem in it, just cut it short and live with it.

2. Never wear hats to cover sth, wear them if you want them/like'm/want to look different that day. If your hairloss gets really bad. Like a big bald spot in the crown or very thin. Buzz cut it or shave it. Don't hold on to your last straw of hair, if it looks like crap shave it. You won't hide you are balding because you're shaved, nothing to hide there:)

good luck

Some girls dont care, some care alot.

the shaved/buzz cut does suit everyone, but I agree with u, if you pass NW3, its better off just shave it or buzz it down.

satch5150

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
satch5150 said:
ok, few points here.

good luck

Some girls dont care, some care alot.

the shaved/buzz cut does suit everyone, but I agree with u, if you pass NW3, its better off just shave it or buzz it down.

yeah man, I know some care about it. I know it's not easy, it's not black and white, there's grey also in it. If you pass NW3 the only option is to shave it. You might look bad but at least you won't think about if someone is going to see you are balding. Either way NW3 and shaved head might look equally bad on you but at least you it will give you a slight boost in confidence IMO.
Also if we are talking only about girls... It also depends what are you looking for. A relationship? You want to get laid? etc. If you want steady relationship it can't be build on a apperance anyway, won't work. If the second, well that's gonna be a lot harder probably...

And yeah some girls don't like bald. But some don't like metalheaddudes either ;) having hair don't make your chances higher, in the end it all gets down to what are you gonna say. If you look like a million bucks but won't be able to say "hi" you will lose anyway.

just some random thoughts,

best regards,

satch5150

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree if you are getting too bald then you definetely need to buzz down but its hard man.

Sometimes its not even about building a relationship with some girl, its just about how you view yourself in the mirror. If I had a dream of a woman who loves me I would still care about my hair although it would make it easier to cope with the problem but not completely.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Nathaniel said:
I agree if you are getting too bald then you definetely need to buzz down but its hard man.

Sometimes its not even about building a relationship with some girl, its just about how you view yourself in the mirror. If I had a dream of a woman who loves me I would still care about my hair although it would make it easier to cope with the problem but not completely.

Yeah there is no doubt about that. You need to learn to be happy with your own appearance before you can feel comfortable with a woman. Which prob explains why ive never had a girlfriend longer than 1 month. Usually i get dumped because of lack of contact on my behalf, mostly coz im paranoid or having a bad hair day. I always call off dates if im not happy with my hair that day. Sounds extreme but i need to feel comfortable with myself first otherwise I just cant relax.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jimjohn said:
i met her yesterday then without the cap. she didnt seem to care too much about the balding. i didnt notice her act differently or keep looking at my head or anything like that. she did say in the beginning that she didnt recognize me without the hat. and she did ask me questions about my hair later on that did have me a little uncomfortable like where do u get ur haircuts, is ur hair straight or curly, did they use a blade or scissors and she even offered to help style it for me once my hair grows out. all in all, im happy. thanks again guys.

u may not have noticed her staring at your head..but she definately was checking out your hair. why else would she be talking about hair? wtf..there's so much other stuff to talk about...yet she's asking you hair questions. should've just said 'yeah, im balding so hair is neither straight nor curly...it's fading if anything!'. make some light humor about it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Maybe she did notice, but the point is there were no negative comments. But then again if she did notice you were balding why would she talk about hair knowing its likely to make you feel uncomfortable? Did she also talk about clothes? Because hair and clothes are something that women tend to talk about alot, Ive never been out in the company of women when the subject of hair has'nt come up at least once. Now do I take it that thats because seeing my hair gets everyone thinking about hair? Or maybe they're doing it on purpose to piss me off, I'm not paranoid enough to believe that.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
all im saying if she's asking questions about hair and offering style assistance...it means she doesn't like his hair the way it is. she's already looking to change it. it's common when someone doesn't like something about another person's appearance they'll ask questions around it to see if that person answers with something along the lines 'im working on it'..or 'im gonna change <insert topic here>'.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Ugh I hate when women im with start talking about hair. Just makes me squirm and I feel so uncomfortable, but i usually grin and bare it, then change the subject without making it to obvious. Most women are programmed to discuss hair and fashion. Its a bit like a guy talking about cars. Usually a girl only resorts to this kind of talk for the same reason a man would resort to talking about cars with a girl. Either because they are pretty dumb and not great conversationalists, or the conversation is dying and they are trying to save it.

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
thx for the congrats guys. yeah i didnt know why she was bringing up my hair that day. true maybe she didnt like it the way it was and that her saying she can help style it when it grows out is her way of telling me i need to grow it out long. but she is a hairstylist and is into hair so maybe thats why she was asking those qs. but either way, weve been on another date since then so as long as i know shes still interested its all good. she didnt talk about clothes at all but she does talk sometimes about the different kinds of styles and cuts she does at the salon.

s.a.f

Reaction score
jimjohn said:
thx for the congrats guys. yeah i didnt know why she was bringing up my hair that day. true maybe she didnt like it the way it was and that her saying she can help style it when it grows out is her way of telling me i need to grow it out long. but she is a hairstylist and is into hair so maybe thats why she was asking those qs. but either way, weve been on another date since then so as long as i know shes still interested its all good. she didnt talk about clothes at all but she does talk sometimes about the different kinds of styles and cuts she does at the salon.

Theres your answer. :agree:

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jimjohn said:

If she's a stylist than she knows you are going bald (i haven't seen ur pics but will go with what u say). A stylist can pick out your hair quality and potential just by looking at it. The same way a Dentist can assess the quality of your teeth and bite just by talking to you.

That's great you went on another date with you. You should feel assured that she is still showing interest in you even after knowing you are bald(ing).

So, did you hook up with her yet? If she wants to touch your hair or run her fingers thru it..let her. It's not as if she doesn't already know your bald(ing).

Good luck!

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I rarely ever go out in public without my beanie or a hat on. From the way things sound, I'm probably balder than most of you guys and therefore (in my opinion) have more to feel insecure about. I'll admit it- I use hats as a crutch. It helps me cope and function when I'm out in public, because without it I would feel so exposed, like everyone is staring at me then I feel like running away and hiding. Its sucks, but so does the way people look at me and treat me when I'm not wearing my beanie, so I would just rather people not know and avoid any uncomfortable feelings.
S.A.F., I too am 33 years old and am very curious too see what you look like. I've been reading your responses for some time and respect your level headedness.

Ackers24

Reaction score
The thing about wearing hats to cover up your baldness is that you begin to rely on them more and more, but you cant wear hats forever, when its sunny and warm outside i always go out without my hat on, i have my beanie in my back pocket though in case it gets cold, that's the only downside i find when having no hair, your head gets cold real quick and gives you headaches...anyway, when i go out without my hat on...people do look! ive had men and women both not staring but they'll have a glance, then walk on by...but you know what, who cares what they think, your never gonna see that person again most likely so big deal...and you cant meet women wearing hats, well you can, but seeing the look on her face when you have to remove it infront of her at some point will be alot worse than her just never being interested from the beginning....im happy ive got to the point now, where i can choose to wear or not wear my hat rather than thinking i need to wear it (i used to wear it 24/7 and i mean like even SLEEPING with it on!!...and when iam wearing my hat and i take it off in public, i actually feel really good about it lol like im a badass or something haha, i dont know lol...hats are cool though i will continue wearing them when the occasion suits :)