Does Beta Sitosterol Regrow Hair?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is beta-sitosterol effective for hair regrowth, like this page claims? I suspect that it is not. Any expert opinions out there? :? :hairy: :?

http://www.altavahealth.com/studies/fda ... -study.pdf

Objectives
The goal of this study was to test botanically derived 5AR inhibitors, specifically the liposterolic extract of Serenoa repens (LSESr) and ß-sitosterol, in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Subjects
Included in this study were males between the ages of 23 and 64 years of age, in good health, with mild to moderate Androgenetic Alopecia.

Results
The results of this pilot study showed a highly positive response to treatment. The blinded investigative staff assessment report showed that 60% (6/10) study subjects dosed with the active study formulation were rated as improved at the final visit.

Conclusions
This study establishes the effectiveness of naturally occurring 5AR inhibitors against Androgenetic Alopecia for the first time, and justifies the expansion to larger trials.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
bETA-sIT GOT REALLY POPULAR FOR AWHILE (OOPS, CAPS, sorry) but then it came to light that a very few individuals experienced low libido side effects after using.

I took it for the longest time - didn't help me.

beaner

Reaction score
wookiewannabe said:
Is beta-sitosterol effective for hair regrowth, like this page claims? I suspect that it is not. Any expert opinions out there? :? :hairy: :?

http://www.altavahealth.com/studies/fda ... -study.pdf

Objectives
The goal of this study was to test botanically derived 5AR inhibitors, specifically the liposterolic extract of Serenoa repens (LSESr) and ß-sitosterol, in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Subjects
Included in this study were males between the ages of 23 and 64 years of age, in good health, with mild to moderate Androgenetic Alopecia.

Results
The results of this pilot study showed a highly positive response to treatment. The blinded investigative staff assessment report showed that 60% (6/10) study subjects dosed with the active study formulation were rated as improved at the final visit.

Conclusions
This study establishes the effectiveness of naturally occurring 5AR inhibitors against Androgenetic Alopecia for the first time, and justifies the expansion to larger trials.

I've heard of those taking it that experienced similar sides as propecia with zero benefit for their hair. You may find posts on it at regrowth.com. A lot of guys in that forum are giong the natural route. In my opinion, naturals are good for overall health, but don't really seem to cut it as hair loss treatments. That's just my opinion, I think you may find some that get benefit from them.

A

Administrator

This study has been cited and responded to numerous times. First off it was not an "FDA Regulated study" like the URL implies.

Secondly, it was conducted improperly, with insufficient test subject for a completely insufficient test period.

Thirdly, it was run by someone who stood to benefit directly, financially, from the findings of the study. The owners of an oral saw palmetto product conducted it.

Fourthly, this study was publicly debunked on national television on the TV show "20/20" in January of 2002. They brought the conductor of the study on national television and asked him why he conducted the study improperly, with so few people, for so short of a period, and he sat there without making a comment. It was difficult and embarrasing for me to watch, but it was nice that someone was knowledgeable enough to look at a study and determine whether or not it was properly run.

Now if only you guys could learn how to do this, we'd be in good shape. Studies done on hair loss must be run with a large quantity of people for a minimum period of 1 full year, preferrably two. Hair counts change naturally in 3 and 6 month periods. This study was done with a whopping 10 people, for a period of a whopping 3 months. It is an embarrasment to the medical community that it even got published.

There are no studies whatsoever showing serenoa repins or beta sitosterol are capable of stopping hair loss or regrowing hair. There are hundreds of independent studies showing that they can positively affect prostate health however. So when someone says there are no studies because its a "natural treatment" and you cant patent it, that argument, too, is wrong.

Admin

mu0325

Established Member
Reaction score
sublime said:
They should probably remove the study from pubmed then as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... &DB=pubmed

I doubt they saw the 20/20 episode either, but I could be wrong. How was it debunked in January 2002 when the study was not released until April of 2002?

Also who was the conductor of the study they brought on their show?

very good points i hope there be some good answers...or you will just sit there saying nothing just like the guy who did the study when they interviwed him on 20/20??? :wink:

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will actually thank the admin for clarification. The more knowledge I can gain in my fight the better. :)

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that Immortal says he no longer uses it and goes with Nettle Root and ground Flax seeds instead.

mu0325

Established Member
Reaction score
we are still waiting for the admin response............

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some disturbing information with regards to beta-sitosterol:

:freaked: :freaked2: :freaked:

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/1809820

Antifertility effects of beta-sitosterol in male albino rats.
Medscape Newsletters

J Ethnopharmacol. 1991; 35(2):149-53 (ISSN: 0378-8741)
Malini T; Vanithakumari G
Department of Endocrinology, Postgraduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Taramani, Madras, India.

The effects of beta-sitosterol on fertility, epididymal sperm counts and testicular and accessory reproductive organ weights were evaluated in male albino rats. The effects were studied at two dosages (0.5 and 5 mg/kg per day rat subcutaneously) for 16, 32 and 48 days. The antifertility effect of beta-sitosterol was pronounced only at the high dose level, but there was a significant decrease in testicular weight and sperm concentrations after long-term treatment with the low dose of beta-sitosterol. The weights of all accessory sex tissues except caput epididymis increased following low dose sitosterol treatment. High dose treatment reduced the sperm concentrations as well as the weights of testis and accessory sex tissues in a time-dependent manner. Withdrawal of treatment for 30 days restored only the weights of accessory sex tissues to near normal conditions.

CCS

Reaction score
i thought it did not match the pattern when it did not have an normal abstract or go into any detail like abstracts do. But I guess they can write it how they like.

if you guys want a natural 5ar inhibitor, you should look at the free fatty acids GLA, ALA and linoleic acid. Flaxseed oil is high in the second two, and cheap, and GLA is in borage seed oil, and a lot more pricy, though the strongest. You can buy oleic acid cheap, but it is very week. My advice is to buy flaxseed oil and break the ester bonds with water and head, like in a pressure cooker, or if you have sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid, you can do it faster at a lower temperature.

The fatty acids should be healthy for your scalp and well tolerated and block DHT very well. I'm going to make my own. Revivogen has them, but I don't know how much, and it is expensive. Bryan says the total fatty acid content is 40%, but I don't know how much is the cheap weak stuff. $33 dollars for 60mL is a lot more than $5 for a pint of flaxseed oil.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WW - Interesting information. Do you have a link that works as I would like to read the full study. :)

CCS - ALA is not a good choice for naturally inhibiting 5AR, you are more likely to tip the scales in the wrong direction. The issue is that your body may not convert the ALA that well into DHA and EPA causing an increase in AA. AA will increase inflammation which is not the what we want to do. In some cases things can get really bad on flaxseed oil if you have a D6D deficiency.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, it appears the the KING also got plenty of beta-sitosterol via bananas and peanut butter:

th_THEKING.jpg

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/re ... bsand.html

Elvis Presley's Grilled Peanut Butter
and Banana Sandwich

2 slices of white bread
2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
1 small ripe banana mashed
2 tablespoons butter

Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the mashed banana on the other. Press the slices gently together. Melt the butter (or to be truly Elvis-like, melt bacon fat!), over low heat in a small frying pan. Place the sandwich in the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides. Eat it with a glass of buttermilk.

Please note: Elvis tended to eat 12-15 sandwiches a sitting! So belly up!

http://www.peanutsusa.org.uk/index.cfm? ... ge&pid=130

CHEMICALS IN PEANUT PRODUCTS ATTRACT ANTI-CANCER AND PROSTATE RESEARCH ATTENTION

[...]

Investigators led by Dr Atif Awad of the Department of Physical Therapy, Exercise and Nutrition Sciences at the State University of New York at Buffalo, USA, reviewed the evidence for the anti-cancer role of phytosterols in the September issue of the Journal of Nutrition1. They singled out beta-sitosterol, the most common phytosterol, for its role in blocking and reducing human cancer cell growth. Previous work by Dr Awad's research team supported "the possibility of using peanuts and its products as a source of phytosterols in the American diet"2. For the everyday British diet, too, peanuts and peanut products are popular, inexpensive foods and are easily obtainable sources of protective phytosterols. Peanut oil available in most supermarkets for example contains more beta-sitosterol (153mg per 100g) than extra virgin olive oil (145mg per 100g). Peanut butter contains 134 mg per 100g and snack peanuts contain between 48 mg and 94 mg of beta-sitosterol per 100g depending on the peanut variety.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
sublime said:
CCS - ALA is not a good choice for naturally inhibiting 5AR, you are more likely to tip the scales in the wrong direction. The issue is that your body may not convert the ALA that well into DHA and EPA causing an increase in AA. AA will increase inflammation which is not the what we want to do. In some cases things can get really bad on flaxseed oil if you have a D6D deficiency.

We're not talking about the NUTRITIONAL aspects of these fatty acids, we're talking about using them topically as 5a-reductase inhibitors.

Bryan

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
The point of a "natural" 5ar inhibitor is? What's wrong with finasteride?

bolshy

Reaction score
FAO College...is this the sort of thing you mean? (GLA)

Barlean’s Lignan Omega Twin - Flax & Borage Oil Supplement
Lignan Omega Twin - Freshest, Most Nutritious and Best Tasting - Naturally!
"Unrefined :: Unfiltered :: Pesticide Free"
Barlean's OmegaTwin is a significant advancement in essential fatty acid nutrition. This product combines our organic flaxseed oil, the world's richest source of alpha-linolenic acid, (LNA) Omega-3 with our borage oil, the world's richest source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), Omega-6.

A special synergism exists between these two important fatty acids that may potentiate their effects. Both LNA and GLA are required in balancing the body's hormonal response to conditions associated with allergy, inflammation, pain and swelling.

Barlean's Omega Twin provides complete essential fatty acid nutrition supplying Omega-3, 6 and 9 fatty acids as well as Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA). Barlean's Fresh ExPressedâ„¢ extraction process gently liberates delicate flax and borage oil, while capturing lignan-rich flaxseed particulate

CCS

Reaction score
sublime. Bryan has been posting this stuff for the last few weeks. If you don't have time to read all posts, just search for his.

I'll look into that ALA turning into AA. Bryan did say topical fatty acids can provide your nutritional needs. I just wonder if the conversion would happen in the skin, and if it only happens in the body, I doubt such a low dose would do much for inflamation in the scalp. The fact is we need ALA, just not too much. This dose will do little for systemic levels. The vast majority of people don't get nearly enough. But oleic acid and linoleic acid are much cheaper.

My safflower oil is high in linoleic acid, if I can separate it. I'm about to just buy stuff from the sights old baldy posted, since they cost almost as much as my oil.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rage said:
The point of a "natural" 5ar inhibitor is? What's wrong with finasteride?

There's NOTHING wrong with finasteride, except that it's systemic. The advantage of topical fatty acids is that they work locally, without any systemic side-effects.

Bryan

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess I am curious as to why you would want to simply use these as topicals. If you are worried about inflammation then it would be wise to address it within your entire body. Topicals can be an important aspect of this but if you feel it is occurring within your scalp then you should be concerned about your joints.

Read the book "Inflammation Nation" about the issues with ALA. I would also check on D6D deficiency as well. If this conversation was specific to topicals it would be useful to state that.