DOJ: Sexual assault is any sexual contact or behavior without explicit consent of rec

Reaction score
https://www.justice.gov/ovw/sexual-assault

Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.

That is for everyone. Whole country. All ages.

What do you think "explicit consent of recipient" means?
Also, what is included under sexual "behavior"?

Note: Just because they list some forced acts does not change the fact that they said you need explicit consent for all acts.
Also got to love the vaguness of the last sentence. It does not say those are the only activities, nor does it says it say it includes. It means "including", but is worded to trick those weak in English grammar into thinking that is all it means.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Reducing the incidence of rape and making the country safer for women is a worthwhile public policy goal.

Note: If the justice department and related authorities were serious about stopping/reducing rape, they could start by testing rape kits. Across the united states, blood and tissue samples from tens to hundreds of thousands of rape victims lie untested. Women come in, describe the crime, undergo a variety of medical tests, and then nothing happens. Nobody follows up.

The fact these samples remain in labs with nobody looking at them, that plenty of rape cases lie uninvestigated at all, tells you what you need to know about politicians, policy makers, police, etc and rape. They're more interested in grandstanding and appearing to help rather than actually helping.

Make sure you never take a piss along the side of a highway in the USA. You might end up on a sex offender registry.

jamesrav2

Reaction score
not to make light of this (well I guess I am), but there's a funny line from a very non-PC comic named Jimmy Carr:

"here's a piece of advice to all you guys out there: "
"before having sex with a girl make sure you always, always, always, ALWAYS .... ask first"

the crowd didn't really react, and he seemed puzzled. I thought it was quite witty. I suppose in some cases involving wealthy athletes, actually getting something signed might have been a good idea. There are pre-nup agreements, might as well be a pre-sex agreement. None if this has any bearing on the recent Stanford case, that guy was on course to being a major sex offender - getting caught and dragged thru the mud might be the best thing that could have happened to him.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the joke wasn't laughed at because basically that what you should do, ask. Or be told that it's OK, explicitly. It's the law, even if one thinks it's over the top. So it was actually sound advice.

that guy on course to being a major sex offender - getting caught and dragged thru the mud might be the best thing that could have happened to him.

Um... how is rape not a major sex offense?! What do you mean, "on course to being a major sex offender"? This is what has people so angry. What he did isn't "major"?? People don't want him to be caught and dragged through the mud, as some sort of lesson that will improve him as a person. People want him in jail for several years, for what he already did.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any act of violence and forcing our wills on people is not OK, it's downright immoral and reflects
on us in a very negative light. We all need to think before acting.
Practicing the golden rule is for everybody, but when we can't do that, don't write/speak. It's just
that simple.

Amen brutha.

Or is it "Jim" today.

Reaction score
They should database the DNA and look for guys who were accused by more than one woman. That would be suspicious.

As for asking, I'm OK with asking before putting it in. But in UK do you guys have to ask before every type of sexual touch including kissing? Are you asked in court whether you asked, and found guilty if you did not? Do people there ask?

Over here, if a guys asks, a woman thinks he is childish. If he does not ask, then she can hold that over his head. We can't win, at least on college campuses. So I just don't date.

- - - Updated - - -

Reducing the incidence of rape and making the country safer for women is a worthwhile public policy goal.

Note: If the justice department and related authorities were serious about stopping/reducing rape, they could start by testing rape kits. Across the united states, blood and tissue samples from tens to hundreds of thousands of rape victims lie untested. Women come in, describe the crime, undergo a variety of medical tests, and then nothing happens. Nobody follows up.

The fact these samples remain in labs with nobody looking at them, that plenty of rape cases lie uninvestigated at all, tells you what you need to know about politicians, policy makers, police, etc and rape. They're more interested in grandstanding and appearing to help rather than actually helping.

Make sure you never take a piss along the side of a highway in the USA. You might end up on a sex offender registry.

I don't think they want to end rape. The rapists give them excuse to keep crazy laws in place. What they want is men to be afraid they can have their life ruined at any minute just on anyone's word.

Over there, what if the guy says he asked, and she says he did not?

That Stanford guy is obviously a rapists, taking her behind the dumpster like that. But I read parts of the court hearing. He said he asked before each step and got a yes. Obviously he was lying, but it hints at how the trial went, and that they likely asked him whether he asked.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The USA has very little credibility on women's issues.

There are vast tracts of land where it's difficult or even impossible to get an abortion, or birth control pills.

Maternity leave, and subsidised daycare, don't exist for the most part.

Hundreds of thousands of rape kits lie completely untested. Women are raped, data is collected, and no investigator and no detective follows through.

Yet, somehow, we get all the nauseating BS from politicians claiming to care.

Solving rape would be a worthwhile goal, but politicians and media are not interested in this. They want to create a culture of fear.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also know a lot of people and have dated a lot of women, especially around the time that I was in college. And many of them had been assaulted or raped. These were not girls who put themselves into dangerous situations... these were serious students, girls who did not take drugs and didn't drink much. Almost all the time it was date rape, or a crime within the family. For example, one was forced to have sex in a car, she is still talking about it and affected by it now, decades later. One was molested by her uncle. Another by her cousin. And it goes on and on. So if you think rape and assault are not common in the west, you are flat wrong. Obviously some people lie, but many do not.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also know a lot of people and have dated a lot of women, especially around the time that I was in college. And many of them had been assaulted or raped. These were not girls who put themselves into dangerous situations... these were serious students, girls who did not take drugs and didn't drink much. Almost all the time it was date rape, or a crime within the family. For example, one was forced to have sex in a car, she is still talking about it and affected by it now, decades later. One was molested by her uncle. Another by her cousin. And it goes on and on. So if you think rape and assault are not common in the west, you are flat wrong. Obviously some people lie, but many do not.

Very few women talk about it. There's a culture of shame around it. They might tell 1 or 2 people in their lives. Other women tell everybody. It varies.

You are likely a good man that several women trust you with such personal information.

I don't directly know of any woman who's been raped, I have several close female friends, the worst I've heard is aggressive predatory stalking. Either they don't tell me, or it hasn't happened to the girls I know.

Some women openly scoff at the prospect, they argue the fear of rape is a mechanism to make women fearful (likely correct). Other women go the other way. A few years ago some female friends were travelling to Italy, and they would not stop talking about how scared they were, because Italian men are so dangerous and can't control themselves, they just walk up to women and grab them.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A few years ago some female friends were travelling to Italy, and they would not stop talking about how scared they were, because Italian men are so dangerous and can't control themselves, they just walk up to women and grab them.

Yep, that's very common in certain countries. I didn't know about Italy but I know of a few others.

I just asked a girl who grew up in a certain well known country in Asia. She told me that she took the train to high school and was grabbed all the time, starting from elementary school age until around age 25. I asked her to estimate how many times it happened in total in her life and she said about 50.

Reaction score
I think 50% of accusations are true and 50% are false.
I also think sexual assault is vastly under reported to authorities but maybe over-reported in campus surveys by strategic voters.
The super high penalties make jurors want extreme evidence to convict, and make family members not want to believe it happened. The damage a false accusation can make means people look down heavily on false accusers, making the real victims afraid to come forward.

Even real victims are not sure they want to convict a guy if they are not sure he deliberately raped them, because the penalty is so high.

We need much lower penalties so that a lower proof standard is possible. However, the lower penalties offend women and the lower proof standard offends men. Every forum I proposed that has said it was a bad idea.

As for abortion: What if she gets it early, before there is a brain? Not having an affordable clinic nearby means women don't get the abortion until later.

As for feminism, it starts in Sweden, goes to Canada and UK, and then hits the US. Apparently Belgium and Australia don't have it as much. So, the US is middle ground.

I think legalizing a regulated form of prostitution might reduce rape rates. Even if a guy can't afford it now, he might aspire to later and not rape.

Reaction score
I guess you do think a zygote is a person. After all, as men, it would be in our best interest to have more childless women to select from, instead of stretched out single mothers. The fact you would vote against your own best interest to protect another man's zygote only because it is a person is very commendable.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Zygotes are people if you believe that the bible is the word of God and that mass organized religion correctly interprets the bible.

There is no scientific case for arguing that zygotes are people.

Reaction score
Zygotes are people if you believe that the bible is the word of God and that mass organized religion correctly interprets the bible.

There is no scientific case for arguing that zygotes are people.

The Bible implies somewhere that life begins with the first breath, but it also says "before you were born, I knew you." Some interpret that to mean our soul is in heaven and is fused with the flesh at 4 months when the fetus starts kicking. Hundreds of years ago, one of the pope's saw a sperm cell under a microscope and thought he saw a tiny man inside, which started the Catholic believe that life begins at conception.

At any rate, many states and religions allow abortion in the case of rape but not without rape. So, if you don't want a woman having another motive to falsely accuse you of rape, please support abortion access at least in the early months. Please.

Back to rape politics, now.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
We need much lower penalties so that a lower proof standard is possible. However, the lower penalties offend women and the lower proof standard offends men. Every forum I proposed that has said it was a bad idea.

I cant speak for the entire forum, but to keep your streak going I'd like to state that yes, it's a very bad idea. "Much lower penalties" for rape is not only an offensive idea to women, but many men, including this one. Of course rape should be punished harshly.

Reaction score
I cant speak for the entire forum, but to keep your streak going I'd like to state that yes, it's a very bad idea. "Much lower penalties" for rape is not only an offensive idea to women, but many men, including this one. Of course rape should be punished harshly.

You misunderstood me. I do not advocate lower penalties for proven rapists. I advocate penalizing men who were simply accused and known to have had sex with a woman who plausibly claims she was raped. By plausible, I mean her story does not sound suspicious, but that neither does his. If his story sounds suspicious, then of course the penalties should be much higher for him.

There are many cases that are just his word against hers. In Belgium it seems they take the extreme of protecting the accused. So did the United States for a while at least for non-blacks. Now it seems they are taking the opposite extreme. They side with the accuser if female, and once they say they find it more likely he is guilty, they treat him as though they were 100% certain and ruin his life. For those pure he said, she said cases, I advocate a penalty that is high enough to deter rapists but falls way short of justice, so that the lives of the innocent are not ruined.

My plan is that rapists would know that at a minimum they might get that penalty, and if the situation has suspicious details,they'd get worse. Innocent men would know their life is not going to end after a single accusation.

I think the current all or nothing system is so harsh that even rape victims don't report most rapes because they are not 100% sure if he meant to rape them, and they know that given the seriousness of the stakes, there will be a huge investigation and huge trial, something they would like to avoid. Most rapists are serial rapists. It is hard to spot them because most of their victims don't report. If all of them did, we would see that some guys only got accused once by a woman who accused 5 other guys, and some men got accused by 2-4 different women who never accused anyone else. It would be very obvious who the rapists are, and we could pick them off just on probability.

The way things are headed, if any woman accuses a guy of rape, he is treated as guilty and his life ruined. This gives tremendous power of women over men in relationships. In many schools, if a guy even suggests he will break up with is girlfriend, that is considered coercion. So is acting sad or giving any indicator of disapproval about his rejection. We are not allowed to have emotions at all except those they approve of, or else it is rape and at full penalty.

- - - Updated - - -

yetti,

What should be the penalty for this perpetrator?
A perpetrator may use coercive statements to manipulate another person. Examples of these include:

“If you won’t have sex with me, I’ll find someone who will.”
According to http://studenthealth.emory.edu/hp/respect_program/consent_vs_coercion.html, he did not get consent, and thus is guilty of rape, or sex misconduct. Do you think schools should be allowed to regulate student's speech and sex lives on this level, expelling those who don't obey?

I'd never say that to a partner, but I think I should have the right to, otherwise it makes me wonder just want I can say at all. Relationships are give and take, and partners often give ultimatums about what they expect in a relationship. But when it comes to issues that give women power over men, all of a sudden our leaders are using rape accusation as the way to control men. This is like labeling public urination as a sex offense.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but it could apply to any serious crime. A jury must decide guilt or innocence, often based only on one person's word against another, or the testimony of a witness without physical evidence. You are advocating a "maybe guilty" verdict, and that doesn't exist in our justice system nor should it. It would immediately change from being applicable to a rape penalty, to every crime. ("Was he really guilty of stealing the money? Well, he was wearing a mask, so we can't be sure, and we don't want to ruin his life with life imprisonment if we're wrong, do we? Let's go for the half penalty.") Thus it could never and would never happen.

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but it could apply to any serious crime. A jury must decide guilt or innocence, often based only on one person's word against another, or the testimony of a witness without physical evidence. You are advocating a "maybe guilty" verdict, and that doesn't exist in our justice system nor should it. It would immediately change from being applicable to a rape penalty, to every crime. ("Was he really guilty of stealing the money? Well, he was wearing a mask, so we can't be sure, and we don't want to ruin his life with life imprisonment if we're wrong, do we? Let's go for the half penalty.") Thus it could never and would never happen.

You saw where I was going. Yes, I support it for all crimes. If there is something suspicious about someone's activities, I don't think it is unreasonable for us to ask them to explain themselves or else get some small penalty. When someone else is claiming they were wronged by them, even more so.

95% of cases are solved by plea bargain under threat of being charged with numerous far worse offenses for which they have little proof yet would look horrible on a record even as a charge. Numerous juries end up hung.

My proposal is that the prosecutor decides the what penalty s/he is going for, and a jury of appropriate size is selected for that maximum penalty. Life sentences require 24 jurors, and 1 year sentences require 12, etc. Each juror, after discussing observations with the other jurors, unilaterally decides in their own mind how confident they are the person is guilty and of what, and picks a penalty that seems reasonable. They each caste the penalties out on folded paper, and the judge, in view of them, arranges them in order from highest to lowest. The highest one such that 2/3 of the jurors feel it should be at least that high is the one that prevails. On a 12 person jury, that is the 8th harshest juror. They vote separately on jail penalty, fine, and how long it stays on the person's record, as well as which industries may see this on the record.

My idea replaces plea bargains, guaranteeing everyone a trial. It is almost a forced plea bargain, and encourages defendants to present evidence and answer questions.

Jacob

Reaction score
I guess you do think a zygote is a person. After all, as men, it would be in our best interest to have more childless women to select from, instead of stretched out single mothers. The fact you would vote against your own best interest to protect another man's zygote only because it is a person is very commendable.

You've gone from having a brain to a zygote. I guess the brain link got you going back as far as possible :cool: