Doope's Story (16)

doope

Reaction score
Hi.

I posted about a month ago some advice thread but because i can't find it anymore, i make a new one here, with pics this time. So, i'm 16 years old and i'm afraid of male pattern baldness. Last months i've noticed some hairloss, both in the temples and crown too. The progression has been pretty fast :| I went to take a blood test for other reasons and it was normal. I have to ask couple questions. First: am i getting bald? To me it looks like it, but i'm not an expert. Second: if it's male pattern baldness, what should i do? i have read that i'm too young to take propecia. rogaine + nizoral?

here are the pics

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13 ... 1266522363

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13 ... 1266522363

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13 ... 1266522364

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13 ... 1266522364

Sorry if i'm overreacting but i just want to be sure about this.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Any hairloss in the family? Mother's/father's side?

Hoppi

Reaction score
Heya man :)

Erm, your hair... it looks a tiny, tiny, tiny bit thin in certain areas. but then so does many peoples - it very often doesn't mean they're going to loose any more or usually not for many, many years!

That does suck a bit if you are too young for finasteride and Nizoral and stuff, although it makes sense, and I wouldn't imagine you'll need it anyway!

Your father's hairline looks fairly good too, so you're lucky there!

Erm, I dunno really! Keep an eye on it, and there are things you can take to thicken up your hair and give it a bit more strength like B-vitamins, certain nutrients and also amino acids and MSM. That won't PROTECT against male pattern baldness per se, but it will make your hair look thicker and stronger and stuff :)

For now just keep an eye, but try not to worry too much, I would imagine it's pretty unlikely! :) Also, I would advise keeping a good diet if possible and a reasonably active lifestyle, just because (as much as I and other forum members disagree on this!) to me it seems to make a difference to many people, particularly if done before male pattern baldness has even started!

Take care man,

Hoppi! :)

Reaction score
Hey there. What is your diet like? Do you smoke? Do you drink?

This is off topic but...

I notice you also have bad acne, although not nearly as bad as mine at your age. Do you use anything for it?

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
You can inherit the hair loss gene from your grandfather and even from your great-grandfathers, so the fact that your father is not balding doesn't guarantee a thing if you inherited that gene from your grandfather for example.

I see that you have some thinning in the crown area and that your hair is thinning above your temples. Also your hairline is asymmetric which could mean that it's male pattern baldness. Don't do a thing until you are 18, the vitamins craps that Hoppi recommend will not help your hair look healthier at all. Are you losing a lot of hair at the moment? When you shampoo your hair how many hairs you lose? What about when you wake up in the morning - is there any hair on your pillow?

Hoppi

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
(as much as I and other forum members disagree on this!)

let-it-grow said:
the vitamins craps that Hoppi recommend will not help your hair look healthier at all.

See? lol

And I couldn't disagree with let-it-grow more on this if I tried! But anyway :)

It's true that it won't do too much for follicles that are suffering due to male pattern baldness, as that is caused by sensitivity to the hormone DHT, but amonst the hair that exists it is proven beyond argument that vits and nutrients thicken and strengthen the hair and make it look smoother and stronger :)

A good diet and lifestyle do this too.

So no, they won't completely protect you against male pattern baldness particularly if the gene is already active, but they are hardly a bad thing to incorporate!

But AGAIN I'm sure the two of us won't agree on this, so hey just listen to both of us and come up with your own conclusions :)

doope

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
SydneyLosstarot said:
Hey there. What is your diet like? Do you smoke? Do you drink?

This is off topic but...

I notice you also have bad acne, although not nearly as bad as mine at your age. Do you use anything for it?

Diet isn't very good, I have to admit that. And I don't smoke or drink at all.
I have antibiotics to acne now, and it seems to work pretty well.

let-it-grow said:
Are you losing a lot of hair at the moment? When you shampoo your hair how many hairs you lose? What about when you wake up in the morning - is there any hair on your pillow?

Am I losing or not.. Dunno. What is normal hairloss? I'm not losing much, but there's a change in that if you compare to last year. When I wash my hair, I lose maybe 5-15 hair, not so much. Same thing at the morning, just a few hair on pillow. I haven't had bigger sheds, which I find weird. When and where all the hair have gone? It's 100% sure that my hair wasn't in this situation year ago. Some random points and questions:

- Every member of my family (especially mom and sister) have thin and weak hair by nature
- My life have been little stressful in last 5 months
- Scalp is itchy all the time
- If this gets worse, do I have to watch from side without doing anything until I'm 18?
- What the f*** can I do? Stop worrying, take pictures every week and check if the situation has changed?

sorry if my thoughts are confusing, i'm not a native english speaker :p

moonbase

Reaction score
doope said:
Diet isn't very good, I have to admit that. And I don't smoke or drink at all.
I have antibiotics to acne now, and it seems to work pretty well.

I would suggest you do your very best to improve your diet and start taking a good pro-biotic each morning on an empty stomach. Anti-bionics kill both good bacteria and bad bacteria in the body. You need good bacteria to produce many of the essential vitamins your body requires to produce hair and keep your skin healthy. I would bet your hair will improve if you take these simple steps.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Oh, try ensuring you're getting plenty of vitamin B5 and Cysteine. You should have high levels of ATP anyway (as you're a teenager), and so those 3 combined will increase your levels of something called "Coenzyme A" which will decrease your sebum (this will also help to improve complexion, skin health etc etc). The fact you say your scalp is itchy implies that might help.

Maybe pop to the doctors if you have things like an itchy scalp? I mean, that might help to rule things out.

Honestly you may still find it's nothing but just keep an eye :)

moonbase

Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
the vitamins craps that Hoppi recommend will not help your hair look healthier at all.

I would disagree with every bone in my body! Especially for reasons I posted above. You put crap into your body.. dont expect much else in return. Taking a good assortment of vitamins can have nothing but benefits for your body... Combine that with a good diet and exercise and you not only will feel better, you will look it! Now this wont prevent male pattern baldness but it certainly will make your hair look a great deal better. Just ask any women who takes care of their body!

PS: Check my Reg, and Hoppi's for a baseline.

Hoppi

Reaction score
moonbase said:
let-it-grow said:

I would disagree with every bone in my body! Especially for reasons I posted above. You put crap into your body.. dont expect much else in return. Taking a good assortment of vitamins can have nothing but benefits for your body... Combine that with a good diet and exercise and you not only will feel better, you will look it! Now this wont prevent male pattern baldness but it certainly will make your hair look a great deal better. Just ask any women who takes care of their body!

PS: Check my Reg, and Hoppi's for a baseline.

Good man I'm glad we agree! :)

And thanks for putting up such an informative regimen, mine is a real mix of ideas from so many people I have met on here and information I have read all over the web! It's the result of about 3 weeks of heavy determined research! hehe

moonbase

Reaction score
Np. A lot of people neglect the importance of diet. There is a reason heart disease and cancer is so ramped in the 'developed' world. The healthiest places and longest life spans are the places with the most basic unprocessed diets with plenty of good daily exercise. Why not have better hair and live to 100! I understand in the developed world sometimes it's hard to eat perfectly with the rustle and bustle of daily life. Now with that said you can do your best to supplement what you miss.

Reaction score
Alright.

There is a ton of I want to say on this matter, because I believe you are all misinformed....but I won't.

Anyway, doope. Get off the antibiotics now. They are simply a temporary solution.

Which antibiotics are you on now? I took minocyclin, doxycyclin, and a few others over my years. They never really worked.

I also used topical creams, differin, tazorac, retin-a, retin-a micro, and a few other prescription grade medicines....

I'm 21, and when I was 19 it was still terribly bad, until I found a website called Acne.org.

I went on Dan's regimen and never looked back.

I do it daily, missing maybe once every month or so.

Its something that you have to dedicate your life to however. Just like using minoxidil/nizoral/finasteride.

I know you care about your hair at the moment, but why not kill two birds with one stone? Just go to Acne.org and order some now.

And the only supplements/vitamins you should take are

-Vit D
-Biotin
-Fish Oil
-Whole food supplement (like superfoods)

moonbase

Reaction score
Dan's Reg. is good (and helped me at the worst point) but BP is a very strong poison and just treats the symptoms, not the cause. If you eat well and exercise your body balances itself out. I suffered from the worst acne possible and i've been a member of acne.org since it started. As for being mis informed. This is around 8+ years of research. People don't eat well, that's why I suggest taking vitamins. I take them because I know I could eat better than I do. Such is life.

EDIT: I also agree that antibiotics for acne are too taxing on the body. (For reasons stated in my first post).

EDIT2: I would agree with you vitamin choices however.. there is a lot more to the puzzle :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
moonbase said:
Dan's Reg. is good (and helped me at the worst point) but BP is a very strong poison and just treats the symptoms, not the cause. If you eat well and exercise your body balances itself out. I suffered from the worst acne possible and i've been a member of acne.org since it started. As for being mis informed. This is around 8+ years of research. People don't eat well, that's why I suggest taking vitamins. I take them because I know I could eat better than I do. Such is life.

EDIT: I also agree that antibiotics for acne are too taxing on the body. (For reasons stated in my first post).

EDIT2: I would agree with you vitamin choices however.. there is a lot more to the puzzle :)

and Coenzyme A? :)

moonbase

Reaction score
I mean. His vitamin choices are fine (though extremely vague), but they don't cover the whole spectrum. CoA (Vitamin B5) is in B50 complex. I don't believe taking a super dose is really needed. It helps people w/ acne and sebum but it certainly isn't natural (IE. reported hairloss from excessive use).

Hoppi

Reaction score
moonbase said:
I mean. His vitamin choices are fine (though extremely vague), but they don't cover the whole spectrum. CoA (Vitamin B5) is in B50 complex. I don't believe taking a super dose is really needed. It helps people w/ acne and sebum but it certainly isn't natural (IE. reported hairloss from excessive use).

CoA isn't vitamin B5... CoA is made by the body using B5, Cysteine and ATP. It helps the body to regulate it's own sebum.

Teenagers have high ATP, so I speculate that B5 and Cysteine supplements could cure teenage spots :)

doope

Reaction score
Hmm.. this acne thing is harddd... I've tried many products, some worked well, some not so well. I want to get rid of acne finally, thats why I went to the antibiotics. And yes, I have read that they are a temporary solution to most people. But I also think that my chances are better, because I use benzoyl peroxide (like Acne.org says) at the same time. The antibiotics reduces the infection and bp keeps the situation stable. After I stop taking antibiotics (1.5 months), I jump to the Dan's regimen and start to eat all those vitamins. Sounds like a plan? 1.5 months of taking antibiotics can't be too bad. It's such a short time. Or then I take isotretinoin which seems to be an excellent medication. But thats enough about acne.

Thanks for the all advices. I'll try to eat better, exercise more and so on. I understand the importance of good diet. Those all different vitamins are just so confusing... maybe i'll figure it out from your posts what i should take.

Arggh, this whole thing gets me so hard. Even the idea of me getting bold is horrifying. Hopefully everything goes well.

moonbase

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
CoA isn't vitamin B5... CoA is made by the body using B5, Cysteine and ATP. It helps the body to regulate it's own sebum.

Teenagers have high ATP, so I speculate that B5 and Cysteine supplements could cure teenage spots :)

Tomato, tomato.. Your body breaks down lots of vitamins into different forms for different uses. Don't stress over the end result. There have been limited studies where people take a mega dose of B5 for acne. It does a damn good job at helping acne but It causes hair loss! So be very careful with what you're putting into your body. (http://www.acne.org/vitamin-b5-reviews/52/page1.html)

IMO: Stick to the basics if you're going to supplement. Since the basics are the forms found in food. All the micro vitamins are easily produced by your body from diet and other vitamins.

A,B,C,D and E!