Dr. Umar

Abedogg

Reaction score
I'm considering a transplant with Dr. Umar. I've seen great results of his procedures using BHT but I don't see many pics of his transplant work on a virgin scalp. I'm looking at getting about 2000 FUE per his estimate.

I like the idea of FUE but I'm also worried about potentially less growth than with a strip. I'm also considering rahal and hasson and wong but haven't received estimates from them yet.

I would feel more comfortable if I saw more results similar to mine. Can anybody help?

Thanks -
Abe

s.a.f

Reaction score
If you only need 2000 theres not much point in contacting H&W since they only do strip.
Yes it is strange that we've only seen Dr Umars BHT repair results, he should show some of his FUE work.

Abedogg

Reaction score
I've seen one or two of Umar's fue's and they looked good. However, I'd like to see more.

Also, I am probably going to go for closer to 3k grafts over a 2 day period with Umar. Some people have commented that FUE isn't great for larger sessions. So I would appreciate your input. I really like the idea of not having a strip scar showing weeks after surgery.

Below is a pic of my current hairloss.

Abe

Attachments

• Front 1.JPG
    Front 1.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 276

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pmill said:
yea dont get strip man it sucks to have a permanent scar

What does it matter if nobody can see it ?

FUE is not nearly as good as some would like you to believe.

BHT are a last resort for people who are out of donor hair IMO

pmill

Reaction score
HT55 said:
pmill said:
yea dont get strip man it sucks to have a permanent scar

What does it matter if nobody can see it ?

FUE is not nearly as good as some would like you to believe.

BHT are a last resort for people who are out of donor hair IMO

it matters because of your hairloss progresses worse then you can keep up with it and you dont want to go back for more work then you have to shave your head then you dont have a nasty scar in the back of your head,plus the healing time/pain post op is a breeze compared to strip

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pmill said:
it matters because of your hairloss progresses worse then you can keep up with it and you dont want to go back for more work then you have to shave your head then you dont have a nasty scar in the back of your head,plus the healing time/pain post op is a breeze compared to strip

First of all FUE leaves more scarring than strip does it just spread out and how the back of your head would be scared after maxing you donor out via 10K FUE grafts probably wouldn't be a pretty picture also.

If you are a good candidate for a hair transplant, use a responsible surgeon, respond to drugs, get a realistic mature hairline and wait until you are 30 years old I doubt your scar will ever be a problem,

FUE is simply not all it's cracked up to be ESPECIALLY when it comes to density and graft survival rate. Why do you think Armani quotes 25% more grafts on average than a strip DR does ?

I suggest you contact DR Feller and learn the REAL ins and outs of the procedure inlcluding it's scarring and limitations from a DR who performs FUE and strip

pmill

Reaction score
I disagree, i got FUE and ive shaved down with a razor and there is absolutley no scarring,go to a good doctor,get the right size mm punch and it will be very very hard to detect it,i see tons of patients that regret having that scar on the back of their head,,but lets say u do get strip then In my own opinion it still sucks cuz you can never shave your head or get a zero cut,,some patients even say the least they can go down to is a 4 which sucks ***.

Abedogg

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It seems to be an ongoing debate. It also seems that Dr. Feller is leading the charge against FUE - or posters that support him. I'd love to hear other doctors positions (ideally surgeons that offer both fue and strip).
The price is another big difference. I'm still waiting to hear back from Rahal and H&W for their quote, but it will cost me 18k for 3k grafts with umar (6 per graft). My next question, 'Is potentially a less noticeable surgery and the absence of a scar worth $8k (Rahals website quotes 10k USD for 3k grafts). I'm leaning toward it not being worth it.

Abe

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pmill said:
I disagree, i got FUE and ive shaved down with a razor and there is absolutley no scarring,

So basically you are saying you are correct and Dr Feller is wrong.

As I said, way more scarring, less visable because it's spread out. My question is how would you donor look if you maxed it out ( 8K -10K grafts) with all FUE ? I imagine it would not be a pretty sight.

Fellermedical.com

FUE

While this method will produce far more scarring than the standard strip technique, this additional scarring is far LESS VISIBLE and is therefore more attractive to many patients who chose to buzz cut their hair very short.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Abedogg said:
Thanks for the input. It seems to be an ongoing debate. It also seems that Dr. Feller is leading the charge against FUE - or posters that support him. I'd love to hear other doctors positions (ideally surgeons that offer both fue and strip).

Dr Feller performs both FUE and Strip. He charges $10 graft for FUE and less than $5 for strip so if he was lying I doubt he would be putting FUE down

Dr Ron Shapiro also now performs FUE and believes it has it's place is scar repair and small surgeries less than 1,000 grafts.

If you don't believe what these two Dr's are telling you I don't know what to say as they are 2 of the best ( top 5 in the world) and VERY ETHICAL.

There is only one Dr performing large FUE surgerys and let's just say his results are VERY hit and miss despite using 25% more grafts than strip to achieve a result that is not as good.

Abedogg

Reaction score
There are many different techniques and devices used in FUE. I know that both Shapiro and Feller are both great surgeons

Its my theory that some surgeons have had better results with different techniques than others. I believe Feller has had decent results but not close to his strip results. Strip is easier and his results are better - I would push strip too.

Surgeons like Dr. Cole and Umar have had good results with their FUE techniques. I guess there is no question here. I don't think you can disagree with what I've said above.

Anyway, I'm still leaning more towards strip b/c of cost. How long did it take to hide your scar in the back of your head? I'm assuming you had to cut your hair short to match the recipient area, exposing the scar?

Thanks for the info.
Abe

pmill

Reaction score
HT55 said:
pmill said:
I disagree, i got FUE and ive shaved down with a razor and there is absolutley no scarring,

So basically you are saying you are correct and Dr Feller is wrong.

As I said, way more scarring, less visable because it's spread out. My question is how would you donor look if you maxed it out ( 8K -10K grafts) with all FUE ? I imagine it would not be a pretty sight.

Fellermedical.com

FUE

While this method will produce far more scarring than the standard strip technique, this additional scarring is far LESS VISIBLE and is therefore more attractive to many patients who chose to buzz cut their hair very short.

first of all ive read some of the stuff dr feller says and they're outrageous,although i do think that 8k-10k fue would make the donor look very sparse, i still rather have that then an ugly *** scar on the back of my head,your thinking your going to see 8000 white dots but your not, really if done properly and with the right mm tool then you will not(depending on how someone scars) have you ever got FUE done? or have you seen pictures of donor after 1 of the top docs performed it? im guessing you have gotten strip or are going for strip? secondly abedogg looks like he just has a receding hairline which would not even need near 8k grafts maybe not even half of that,he looks fairly young,personally i would rather go bald then have a scar like that on the back of my head,cause like i said if you ever say fuk it and shave your head the fue will look so much better then that long ugly scar,.i've read TONS of posts about how patients said they wish they could go back in time and got FUE done,(even the ones that got the hyped up Trichophytic Closure.

pmill

Reaction score
abedogg dont let cost be the reason why you get strip,there's always more time to save up for something that wont leave that scar on the back of your head,plus dr umars prices are cheaper then most strip clinics.although i do agree that overall i've seen better strip results then fue i still think if you go to 1 of the top 3 docs for FUE you will have a good outcome also..just my personal opinion.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pmill said:
i've read TONS of posts about how patients said they wish they could go back in time and got FUE done,(even the ones that got the hyped up Trichophytic Closure.

It matters who you are talking about. I'm sure people who got plugs and mini grafts from the 70's,80's and early 90's wish they had FUE or maybe some bosley patients but I have never heard of patients who had FUT from a top surgeon in the last 8 or so years complain

I think you also need to look at how many Armani mega FUE sesions are failing and remember you only have so much donor

pmill

Reaction score
HT55 said:
pmill said:
i've read TONS of posts about how patients said they wish they could go back in time and got FUE done,(even the ones that got the hyped up Trichophytic Closure.

It matters who you are talking about. I'm sure people who got plugs and mini grafts from the 70's,80's and early 90's wish they had FUE or maybe some bosley patients but I have never heard of patients who had FUT from a top surgeon in the last 8 or so years complain

I think you also need to look at how many Armani mega FUE sesions are failing and remember you only have so much donor

first of all im not here to argue like you, i used to get 3's all the time and cut people's hair in my garage and that right there is longer then a 3(not saying that you cant get it down to a 2 or 3 with seeing the scar cuz on some people it still might not be visible,especially if you get fue into the scar) and secondly MY MAIN POINT was that people that got strip cant shave their head without seeing the scar,can you prove that it looks good shaved with a razor blade?also i never mentioned armani or suggested him going to armani after all the negative feedback thats been floating around,were talkin about dr umar,but on another note how many transplants have you had?which doctor? how was the outcome?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pmill said:
first of all im not here to argue like you, i used to get 3's all the time and cut people's hair in my garage and that right there is longer then a 3(not saying that you cant get it down to a 2 or 3 with seeing the scar cuz on some people it still might not be visible,especially if you get fue into the scar) and secondly MY MAIN POINT was that people that got strip cant shave their head without seeing the scar,can you prove that it looks good shaved with a razor blade?also i never mentioned armani or suggested him going to armani after all the negative feedback thats been floating around,were talkin about dr umar,but on another note how many transplants have you had?which doctor? how was the outcome?

Yes I'm here to argue !! Sorry I'm here to put things in perspective. The BIG ARGUMENT I had was with a guy who was SHOCKED that he was going to need another hair transplant after supposedly doing all this reasearch.

So if you are going to come on here and claim you know more about FUE and say DR Feller is riduculas then I'm going to call you on it. Go to a forum like HLH where DR Feller can post and debate him on FUE if you think you know more than him. Dr's like Shapiro and others agree with Feller on FUE.

That photo is a #2 shave 10 days after a haircut so I estimated it at #3. If you think I'm BSing you contact Matt from Dr Shapior's office becasue that;s who took the photo.

I have had 3 hair transplant's for a total of 2000 grafts over 8 years done by Ivan Cohen. Here is how my hair looks today at age 40 with 5000 donor still left plus FUE.

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc340/mikeb5555/

pmill

Reaction score
HT55 said:
pmill said:

Yes I'm here to argue !! Sorry I'm here to put things in perspective. The BIG ARGUMENT I had was with a guy who was SHOCKED that he was going to need another hair transplant after supposedly doing all this reasearch.

So if you are going to come on here and claim you know more about FUE and say DR Feller is riduculas then I'm going to call you on it. Go to a forum like HLH where DR Feller can post and debate him on FUE if you think you know more than him. Dr's like Shapiro and others agree with Feller on FUE.

That photo is a #2 shave 10 days after a haircut so I estimated it at #3. If you think I'm BSing you contact Matt from Dr Shapior's office becasue that;s who took the photo.

I have had 3 hair transplant's for a total of 2000 grafts over 8 years done by Ivan Cohen. Here is how my hair looks today at age 40 with 5000 donor still left plus FUE.

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc340/mikeb5555/

lol your funny,what would contacting matt have to do with finding out what # haircut that is?lol matt gave you the haircut?lol,ofcourse not.anybody with a brain could realize there is no way that is a #3 that is deff a 4 or higher but its not about what # it is,its about what the back of your head looks like when its shaved..and when did i say i know more about fue then dr feller?i said some of the things feller says are ridiculous and childish(which i can show u on other forums) i never said he was a bad doctor hes 1 of the top docs.WOW 3 strips for only 2000 grafts? ouch! that means you got stripped for a thousand grafts or less each time,thats unheard of these days,thats like early 90's ..and why havent you answered on how your head would look shaved compared to fue???????????which is what all my posts are regarding to abedogg,if you go back and read all my posts are telling him that if he got fue he could always shave down but with strip he will have a nasty scar.lets hope your next post will talk about how your head would look shaved after 3 strips compared to a fue case.

Abedogg

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I keep changing my mind. I'm thinking FUE again. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I'm 30 yo and been on the big 3 for about 7 years. Pmill, where did you get your hair transplant?

THX,
Abe