Everclear/Grain Alcohol In the UK.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've actually went and shelled out for RU, and it came super fast, but now I'm having difficulty in getting 190 proof grain alcohol in which to mix it with PG.

Where can I get this (either online or offline) in the UK? I found one site, Hayman Speciality products. I sent them 2 emails and tried to ring and got no response from any method of contact, and it's the only place I can find.

Failing that is there an alternative?

Ende

Reaction score
Maybe it's easier to get hold of ingredients for the original vehicle;
propylene glycol (50%), isopropyl alcohol (30%), isopropyl myristate (2%), distilled water (18%)

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
After a quick search that does appear to be easier to source. Thanks.

When using these ingredients should the total amount of liquid in the finished supply be the same as when using everclear? (5ml or something? I can't recall exactly).

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, when mixing in that way is there a certain way to add the ingredients or do you just mix all the liquids then add the powder last?

Ende

Reaction score
I've never mixed a solution myself. I'm going to experiment with RU in Rogaine 5% solution. If I was going to mix everything, I would prepare the vehicle first, and then add the drug.

Compared to Rogain, 1 ml should be enough to cover the crown, and an additional 1 ml to cover the midscalp and front. A total of 2 ml daily. Some say RU degrades fast once it's mixed, but some have blended enough for one and two weeks without noticing any less effect. Storing it in the fridge, may preserve it longer, if it actually is a problem. The powder should be stored below 5C.

1 ml of this vehicle consists of 0.5 ml PG, 0.3 ml IA, 0.02 ml IM and 0.18 ml DW.

Example of 14 days supply, total of 28 ml, 2 ml a day;

- 14 ml propylene glycol
- 8.4 ml isopropyl alcohol
- 0.56 ml isopropyl myristate
- 5.04 ml distilled water
- daily amount of RU x 14 = total amount of powder

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

That reminds me, I recieved the RU about a week back and havent taken it out of the box yet, as I didnt have anything to prepare it with. Where should I store it until I do? It's been stored at room temp since it got here.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Just popped it in the fridge now.

It came in one of those child proof screw top bottles you get tablets in from the doctor, I'm assuming that's sufficient?

Ende

Reaction score
See if it has rubber or similar, inside the top. I guess it'll do anyway, but wrap plastic around it, if you're unsure. The powder is expensive.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Final ingrediants came today.

Anyone any idea how I mix this now, as in the order?

I know with the other vehicle you add the RU to the everclear first, whats the procedure this time?

Also I see I've been advised here to use 1ml liquid, but other instructions for the other vehicle have said to use 4ml?

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Added PG IA and IM first, then added the powder.

Not sure it went right as it didn't begin to dissolve, mixed it around myself and the liquid changed colour, but granules of powder were still noticible in the bottom of the glass. Added distilled water after and mixed again, no change.

Tried adding to my hair, went on scalp ok but small sand like grains could be felt on my head as I was rubbing it in.

So, pretty sure that didn't go right, has anyone any experience of this?

Ende

Reaction score
Just store it like this for some hours, and shake properly before using it next time. The "rocks" should dissolve too.

Ende

Reaction score
Yes, it's possible to do so if you store it in the fridge. I don't know if it's stable in room temperature for so long, but I've read about one guy at HLH who mixed a solution for two weeks, which was stored in room temperature without any issues. I believe that it's possible to mix for one month at a time, and even store the solution in room temperature, but I'm taking a careful approach because of the roumors. The powder is too expensive to be wasted.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Curious108 said:
Added PG IA and IM first, then added the powder.

Not sure it went right as it didn't begin to dissolve, mixed it around myself and the liquid changed colour, but granules of powder were still noticible in the bottom of the glass. Added distilled water after and mixed again, no change.

Tried adding to my hair, went on scalp ok but small sand like grains could be felt on my head as I was rubbing it in.

So, pretty sure that didn't go right, has anyone any experience of this?

Mix it in the Isopropyl Alcohol first. Then add the PG. Dont add the water or Isopropyl Myristate until it has dissolved. RU is insoluble in water.

Where did you get your RU from? Sounds like it could be Faith Eagle?

Are you mixing your bacthes in a small bottle with a lid? If so give it a good shake for a few minutes.

How much RU are you trying dissolve BTW? and how alcohol are you using?

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
I got my RU from Faith Eagle yeah, currently storing the liquid in the dark coloured bottle the RU came in, with the RU in its zip lock bag wrapped in heavy baking foil.

Currently I make a 10 day batch, did this due to Endens advice about it being possible to make two weeks worth, and since my scales don't measure milligrams, 1 gram (10 day supply) is the most powder I can measure out.

As for measuring, 10 days of liquid is 40ml, so I try to eye the mixture.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Just added RU to IA.

Still doesn't appear to dissolve. It's coloured the water nicely, but there are still rocks at the bottom which don't appear to be degrading.

Ende

Reaction score
Curious108 said:
Currently I make a 10 day batch, did this due to Endens advice about it being possible to make two weeks worth, and since my scales don't measure milligrams, 1 gram (10 day supply) is the most powder I can measure out.
I read about a guy at HLH who made enough RU solution for 2 weeks when he went on vacation. He didn't have access to a fridge, so it was stored in ambient temperature. He reported no problems. I've only mixed enough solution for one week at a time, with Rogaine 5% as vehicle, which is stored in the fridge. What I believe is possible is one thing. My recommendation is based on what I've observed so far, so I currently stand by one week.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
I read the same story as yourself.

It's hard to determine how long it'll last when I'm not even sure its being mixed right. Its been in IA for over an hour now and showed no signs of dissolving.

I have Xandrox 15%+ here, would that be a sufficient vehicle?

Ende

Reaction score
It would be considered as an experimental vehicle, since it's 80% ethanol and 20% glycerin. I recommend Regaine 5% if you want to mix RU with minoxidil.

You could crush the rocks to powder before you try to dissolve RU in the vehicle.