FingersCrossed's story

Reaction score
Let me just start by stating the obvious: Losing your hair sucks.

I started losing my hair when I was 20 years old. I didn't notice it in the mirror so much as on my bathroom floor. I didn't think anything of it at first. In fact, I didn't immediately realize I was losing my hair at all. But, within a short year or two, the hair was noticeably receding at my temples and I finally put two and two together. From the time I was about 22 until now, my hair hadn't really receded much further and I really didn't worry about my hair loss too much. I assumed my hair would probably stay the way it was until I was in my 40's, at which point it would start thinning and receding a bit more because that is what happened to my dad.

Recently, however, I have noticed my hair has started to thin out on the top. I've been wearing my hair pretty short the past couple years. I rocked the no-guard for awhile, but over the past year I have been using a #2 attachment all over. I think I pull it off nicely, but now I'm concerned that my hair loss is starting to progress further since I have noticed the thinning.

So I recently decided to take action. I'm not one to sit on my hands and hope something will change. First, I did a little research on the internet and purchased the trial kit for Nioxin #6. I guess I was still in denial about my hair loss at the time and was hoping that something mild would improve the appearance of my hair and I wouldn't need to fully invest myself in this fight. After having done more research, I realized that Nioxin didn't really prevent hair loss or help regrow new hair at all. What initially raised a red flag to me was where everything I read said that Nioxin helped make your hair appear thicker. Really it's just a very good shampoo that creates a healthier scalp environment, but that's about it.

Then, I stumbled upon this site and realized I was going about this the wrong way. If I want to win this fight, I have to come out with guns blazing. I need to send in the tanks, call in an air strike, and dispatch Optimus Prime on this deadly foe! I don't want to be 40 years old, bald, and full of regret that I didn't jump on this thing when I had the chance. So I read through the forums here trying to gather as much intel as I could regarding my enemy's weaknesses. I read through a lot of the news and research found on the site so that I could make the most informed decision. After seeing a lot of success stories with people on here using the Big 3, I decided it was time to take the plunge. I recently ordered Rogaine Foam (5% Minoxidil), Finpecia (1mg), and Nizoral shampoo (2% Ketoconazol). I will try to update this thread in the coming months for all those interested in following my progress.

1728_thumb.jpg
1729_thumb.jpg

1730_thumb.jpg
1731_thumb.jpg

1732_thumb.jpg
1733_thumb.jpg

Reaction score
Re: Starting My Journey

I should say that I am mostly satisfied with my current hairline. I am not hoping to recover any lost ground at this point, but I will consider it a huge bonus if it happens. My goal is simply to maintain what I currently have and I am hoping that the thinner areas will thicken up after prolonged use of this treatment regimen. Fingers crossed!

I should also note that I haven't actually started the treatment yet as I am still waiting on my products to arrive by mail. I ordered the Fenpecia from overseas, so it could be a few weeks before I actually get things started. I am thinking that I should start using the Rogaine right away and then add in the Fenpecia when it arrives. Thoughts?

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Starting My Journey

Well done man. You're doing the right thing. How old are you now? Your hairloss doesn't look too bad, very similar hair-line recession to my own, but it's good you're doing it now because hair line recession (especially advanced hair-line recession) is largely irreversible without hair transplantation.

Your regimen looks good, but I have some advice: Don't use the Rogaine Foam, it doesn't work very well, especially for the hair line. Instead, I would swap it out with a cream-based minoxidil-solution, there are many out there, you should probably do some research. Personally, I use Spectral DNC-L but I am researching alternatives right now as well; it works quite well for the most part, but it's rather expensive, smells a bit gross, and is very greasy in my long hair.

You'll find that cream-based minoxidil-solutions work much better than the foam, particularly for the hair-line. The foam dries too quickly, it's messy, and it isn't absorbed by the skin nearly as well.

Personally, I would also scrap the Nizoral. Like you mentioned about the Nioxin, I think you'll find that Nizoral is very similar in its function to the Nioxin; basically, if you have bad scalp conditions, and hairloss as a result of that, it will improve your scalp, and thus stop your hairloss. Otherwise, I wouldn’t expect anything from the Nizoral. I've used it for years with no results; been off it for years and haven’t noticed any difference.

Sounds like you’re on the right track. Good luck!

Reaction score
@Gene_Fighter: To answer your question, I'll be 26 in September. And thanks for the heads up about the foam. I'll keep it in mind but I guess I'll just have to see how I like it for myself. I don't want to shake up the regimen too much within the first year, and I've seen some very good results with the foam. Let me direct you to Peapoddy's Story. I guess it's all about what works for you, so I'm taking that same mentality. If I feel like it's not absorbing all that well, I'll go after some cream or the liquid after my supply of foam runs out.

As for the Nizoral, I've heard time and time again that it should be included in the treatment regimen. The following is directly from HairlossTalk.com:

"Male Pattern Baldness is hormonal and genetic. A sensitivity to DHT (dihydrotestosterone) which develops in the scalp. This sensitivity can cause tingling, inflammation, itching, and scalp pain. Controlling both the DHT sensitivity and calming the scalp are critical to successfully treating hair loss.

This is why no matter what treatment regimen you use, Nizoral shampoo absolutely must be included. Though it is marketed as an anti-dandruff shampoo, it effectively handles both the hormonal and inflammation-related causes of hair loss. It is the only shampoo that can do this.

In fact, your first order of business is to go out and get Nizoral today, whether or not you have any current itching. Use it once every 3 days, and let it soak for the duration of your shower. No legitimate treatment (below) will work without it."

It goes on to discuss the causes of male pattern baldness and treatment options. For now, I'm just going to play it safe and attack this thing from all possible angles. I figure I'll use the Nizoral 3x weekly and on the other days I'll use up my supply of Nioxin. I do appreciate your feedback though. I'm just starting my journey, so I need all the friendly advice I can get.

Reaction score
Just got my Rogaine foam and applied it for the first time today. Still waiting on the Nizoral and Fenpecia. Will update as I go along.

Reaction score
Just got my 2% Nizoral, which shipped from Auckland, New Zealand of all places! Going to try it out in the morning. Still patiently waiting on the Fenpecia, the one I've been most looking forward to using! Oh well... Patience is a virtue as they say.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
I would suggest just using the finasteride and Nizoral for about two years. If you are not happy then start using Rogaine. The reason is that Rogaine does nothing to stop androgenic damage to your hair. Rather it merely gives you offset growth or maintenance that would otherwise not exist. Therefore, the hair follicle is too damaged to produce hair on it's own and continued use of Rogaine is necessary or else these hairs fall out. I have been using Rogaine for over a year on my hairline and I really regret it.

Reaction score
@Lloyd Braun: Believe me, I understand what each product is for. I have done plenty of research. My intention is to keep what hair I currently have and to hopefully regrow some lost hair using Rogaine. My question to you is why would you regret your decision to give Rogaine a shot? I mean, you can't start using Rogaine expecting it to work miracles or of course you are going to be disappointed. I think you should in fact be happy that you gave it a fair shake. If your regrets stem from all the money you wasted on Rogaine, then just ask yourself if you would have regretted it had it regrown your hairline like you had hoped.

I can understand your reasoning behind only using finasteride and nizoral first, because you are suggesting I wait and see if the products slow or stop my hair loss before using a product intended to grow hair. Because if finasteride and nizoral don't do much to slow my hair loss, then Rogaine will be like taking one step forward and two steps back. However, I should mention that my hair loss is not rapid whatsoever. I pretty much went from a NW1 to my current state in a matter of a year when I was about 21. Since then, the hairline hasn't changed much at all and it's really only starting to thin out a bit. I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm going to stick to my guns. Money is not a big factor for me, so I figure I really have nothing to lose. Except more hair!

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
FingersCrossed said:
@Lloyd Braun: Believe me, I understand what each product is for. I have done plenty of research. My intention is to keep what hair I currently have and to hopefully regrow some lost hair using Rogaine. My question to you is why would you regret your decision to give Rogaine a shot? I mean, you can't start using Rogaine expecting it to work miracles or of course you are going to be disappointed. I think you should in fact be happy that you gave it a fair shake. If your regrets stem from all the money you wasted on Rogaine, then just ask yourself if you would have regretted it had it regrown your hairline like you had hoped.

I can understand your reasoning behind only using finasteride and nizoral first, because you are suggesting I wait and see if the products slow or stop my hair loss before using a product intended to grow hair. Because if finasteride and nizoral don't do much to slow my hair loss, then Rogaine will be like taking one step forward and two steps back. However, I should mention that my hair loss is not rapid whatsoever. I pretty much went from a NW1 to my current state in a matter of a year when I was about 21. Since then, the hairline hasn't changed much at all and it's really only starting to thin out a bit. I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm going to stick to my guns. Money is not a big factor for me, so I figure I really have nothing to lose. Except more hair!

I regret my decision to use Rogaine because now I have no idea where my baseline is. It has regrown tiny colorless hairs that fill in my corners but it may have also maintained some hair. I guess what I am trying to say is that you can go on and off minoxidil as you please--it doesn't really matter in the long run. Getting on finasteride as soon as possible is important in the long run though.

Reaction score
Just wanted to make an interesting note: Since I've been using Rogaine I've noticed an immediate difference in the amount of shedding that occurs when I brush my hand over and through my hair. Where before there would be probably hundreds of hairs all over my sink after running my hands through my hair several times, now there are next to ZERO! I'm actually quite amazed. I used to run my hands through my hair just so that I could freak out a little when tons of hair kept falling out. It was like watching a train wreck for me... I didn't really want to do it, but I couldn't stop. It really scared me how much hair I was shedding before when I would do this. It seemed like I would lose 50 hairs at a time and if I did this 10 times a day, I would lose 500 hairs.

So today, I tentatively ran my hands through my hair very softly, because I haven't done this in a while and I was scared to see what would happen. No hairs on my hands. I then massaged my scalp a little more vigorously. Not a single hair. So then I went to town on my scalp, brushing pretty roughly with my hands to see if I could get any hair to fall out. I counted 3 small hairs in the sink. It made my day!

I think if this continues I will take it as a good sign, and if the shedding picks back up again I will also take it as a good sign. I'll just continue to be optimistic about this process.

Reaction score
Well today I received my order of Finpecia in the mail and popped my first pill. Wish me luck! Will update as I go along.

Reaction score
Also, I just ordered the 15% concentration of Minoxidil and 5% Azelaic acid solution from Perfect Image. I plan on using it at night in conjunction with the Rogaine 5% foam, which I will use in the mornings. So, my regimen is as follows:

Finpecia (Finasteride) - 1 mg every morning
Rogaine Foam (5% Minoxidil) - 1 application every morning
Perfect Image Solutions (15% Minoxidil, 5% Azelaic acid) - 1 mL every night
Nizoral (2% Ketoconazole) - 4-5 applications weekly
GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin - Once daily

dboy

Reaction score
fingerscrossed..

have you tried the 15% at night....any side effects, itch, redness, etc? I'm thinking bout getting that one but it has ppg which makes me itch...so I may get the dual gen 15 without the ppg....

let me know

Reaction score
@dboy: Tonight was my first time using the 15% as I just got it in the mail today. I will keep you posted though! I haven't had any trouble with the 5% foam, so we shall see. Also, I haven't had any side effects so far on any of my other treatments, so let's hope that continues.

Reaction score
It has officially been 30 days that I have been using the Big 3 together. I haven't skipped a single treatment/dose. So far, no side effects except for severely decreased shedding. I did go through what I would call a mini shed that lasted maybe 2-3 days, but now I lose maybe 1-2 hairs on the towel when I dry my hair vigorously.

Current regimen:

Finpecia (Finasteride) - 1 mg every morning
Rogaine Foam (5% Minoxidil) - 1 application every morning
--will be switching Rogaine Foam for Kirkland (5% Minoxidil)
Perfect Image Solutions (15% Minoxidil, 5% Azelaic acid) - 1 mL every night
Nizoral (2% Ketoconazole) - 3 applications weekly
GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin - Once daily

And finally, some updated pictures after 30 days of treatment. The pictures on the left are baseline.

1728_thumb.jpg
1835_thumb.jpg

1729_thumb.jpg
1836_thumb.jpg

1730_thumb.jpg
1837_thumb.jpg

1731_thumb.jpg
1838_thumb.jpg

1732_thumb.jpg
1841_thumb.jpg

1733_thumb.jpg
1842_thumb.jpg

The overhead pics make it look like my hairline moved forward a bit, but it's because of a slightly different angle. My hairline is really about the same.

Reaction score
Also, a bonus picture of the crown with the flash on. The picture on the left was actually taken on 08/20 instead of baseline, but I didn't take a baseline pic of the crown with the flash on so I figured better late than never.

1839_thumb.jpg
1840_thumb.jpg

I think I see some definite progress, but I guess only time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Just a quick check in. So far so good on all my treatments. No truly discernible side effects, although I did experience some slight ball ache today after working out but it lasted maybe 2-3 seconds, so nothing to get too worked up about. I also experienced this on one other occasion right after I started taking finasteride. I wouldn't really consider it a true side effect though because it hasn't affected me negatively and I suppose some mild side effects can be expected while taking finasteride. I will keep a close eye on it anyway to make sure it doesn't get any worse but as of right now, it really wasn't even worth mentioning but I figured I would document every little minor side effect I can, even if they are potentially paranoia-induced (although I'm really not paranoid in the least about any potential side effects, but considering there are so many potential side effects out there, one has to wonder how much the human psyche can play a factor). Other than that, sexual arousal/function has been completely normal, no itchy or red scalp, no man-tits, no brain fog, etc.

I will be making a couple minor changes to my regimen soon. I'm eventually taking Rogaine foam out completely and slowly replacing it with generic Kirkland Minoxidil. I have been using the foam about every other morning and using the Kirkland minoxidil on the opposite days and once the foam runs out I will simply use the Kirkland from then on. Also, my GNC multivitamin is being replaced with a whole food multivitamin because I read some recent information that claims that chemical vitamin tablets are little more than placebo and your body doesn't absorb them as well as when those same vitamins and minerals are found in natural whole foods, hence the whole food multivitamins. Seeing as how I don't get enough fruits and veggies as it is (and I also read that the vitamin and mineral contents of fruits and veggies have dramatically decreased over the years due in part to all the chemicals being used in modern fertilizers and pesticides, etc.) I figure I might as well get the next best thing.

As far as my progress goes, I think I have been seeing some rapid changes recently. I think my hairline is tightening up quite a bit and my diffuse thinning is getting a lot less diffuse. Of course the changes would be subtle and maybe unnoticeable to someone not keeping a close eye on my hair health, but to me the changes seem dramatic and are substantial enough to give me a nice boost to my ego. I feel better about the way my hair has been looking recently. When I look at it under bright light in bathrooms, it's clearly not as thin on top and brittle looking. Before I started treatments, there was starting to form a sort of island of hair on my head where the hair towards the top-front was beginning to appear noticeably thicker than the top-back and top-sides where the hair was diffusely thinning. Now my hair is starting to look relatively homogenous all the way around. The thinning is much less pronounced, and I'm hopeful that this trend continues. My hair feels so much softer and healthier. It's also darkened up a bit, which I think contributes to making my hair look fuller and healthier. To put it mildly, I'm very pleased so far and I want to encourage anyone considering taking up the fight against hair loss to start as soon as possible. Worst case scenario: nothing works for you, but you will sleep better at night knowing that you did what you could while you could do it.

New pictures to come soon, but it hasn't even been two months yet, so I'm just waiting a couple more weeks. My plan is to post monthly pics as I go along. Staying hopeful. Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Wow, that's friggin' unbelievable for having been such a short time. Congrats man!

I'm not sure how long you've been using the Kirklands 5%, but how do you like it so far? I just ordered some off of Amazon which should be coming in on Friday and I don't know what to expect. Got any tips?