FingersCrossed's story

Reaction score
@Spanishpants123: Well, like I said before, I think the changes have been mostly only noticeable to me, which makes sense because when you are suffering from hair loss, any improvements at all seem extremely significant. But, I really do think the treatments are working and working well.

As for the Kirkland Minoxidil, I really don't like it as much as the Rogaine foam because the foam is just so quick and easy to use, but at the same time I think it works just as well, if not better because you are able to apply the solution more directly to the scalp. The dropper that comes with it is a little big and clumsy, so you may consider purchasing a thinner dropper from a drug store or some such place. It's fine for me because I keep my hair pretty short (#2 all over, though I may be switching to #3 as my hair is starting to look more even all the way around). Kirkland Minoxidil is just so much cheaper than Rogaine and that makes all the difference.

Reaction score
I just have to say, I am absolutely blown away by my results so far and it's been less than 2 months on the Big 3. I think you will all be very impressed when I take my 2 month update pics here soon. The diffuse thinning that was clearly present in my early pics is pretty much completely gone. The top is getting very thick and the crown is almost completely filled in. The vellus hairs around my temples seem to get longer and thicker every day. I don't know what else to say. My results have been more than I could have imagined. Obviously, I hope my hair continues to thicken and I am able to maintain the hair I currently have. If my hairline tightens up, I will be ecstatic. I don't really care if my hairline moves forward or not, I would just like to see it tighten up because that is really the only remaining thin area now. George Clooney, for example, has a slightly receded hairline, but his hairline is so thick and tight that it still looks phenomenal. I wouldn't mind his paycheck either.

My sister has a wedding coming up next month. I am planning on growing my hair out until then and getting a nice cut for the wedding. I ordered mousse a few weeks ago, hoping that within 6 months or so my hair would be improved enough to grow it out a bit and use the product. I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would be considering growing my hair to a styleable length so soon. I haven't had my hair longer than a 2 guard for several years!

I'm really pumped about my quick progress, but I'm also cautious. I am nervous that I could experience a big shed at some point (I'm looking forward to the 3-4 month mark), but I know that if I do it's only temporary and to just keep doing what I'm doing. Hope it doesn't happen, but I'm ready for the worst.

This calls for the use of my first ever smiley! :hump:

adrift98

Reaction score
Cool to hear your story so far. I may end up doing a plan similar to yours (which I realize is based on Peapoddy's regimen to some extant). My hairline is pretty similar to yours which I also keep buzzed to a 2 or under.

I'm also using Perfect Image Solutions 15%. I'm a bit over a month in with that product now. I didn't take very good baseline pics (which I may have lost anyways), so its hard to tell, but it seems like the crown has grown in a bit. I have Nizoral 2% in the mail. I got it cheap from some place in the UK, but the delivery date is still some 20 or so days away... Had I realized that upon ordering it, I would have looked for it someplace closer.

I received topical spironolactone yesterday, and was going to use that as my primary anti-androgen. I wasn't at all interested in taking finasteride because I just didn't like the idea of ingesting chemicals, but reading all of the great progress stories with it is making me rethink that position. I took it for a few months some years ago, and didn't notice any side effects, but quit it because my regimen wasn't very consistent and dealing with hair loss wasn't much of a priority at the time.

Anyways, I'm interested in your progress and think I'll follow along for awhile. :)

Reaction score
@adrift98: I guess the biggest thing for me when I decided to take the plunge and get on the Big 3, despite knowing of all the potential (and possibly persistent) side effects, specifically with finasteride, was that I know my own body and it has always been very resilient and resistant to illness/allergies/side effects. I actually believe some side effects can be avoided with a positive mental attitude about the whole situation, because I truly think that some if not most side effects reported from the use of Finasteride are fear-induced. Maybe, maybe not, but this type of thinking works for me so I'm going with it.

Best of luck, man! Let me know what you ultimately decide to go with for your anti-androgen.

EDIT: And just an FYI, I actually intended my initial regimen to be exactly like Peapoddy's, but I have simply tweaked it a bit to suit my needs. I wanted to be as aggressive as possible, so that's why I added the 15% solution into the mix.

Also, for anyone who wants to know, the shampoo I use on my Nizoral off-days is called VO5 Tea Therapy Smoothing Shampoo. It's just a cheap shampoo I picked up from Walmart, but it smells pleasant and seems to do the trick so I'll stick with it for now. I am now using nizoral once every three days. nizoral, VO5, VO5, nizoral, VO5, VO5, etc. I have also been using up the rest of my Nioxin conditioner on the VO5 days. I still have some Nioxin shampoo, so I will use that up as well at some point. So long as it serves its purpose and gets your hair clean, I think the secondary shampoo can be anything you like.

adrift98

Reaction score
FingersCrossed said:
@adrift98: I guess the biggest thing for me when I decided to take the plunge and get on the Big 3, despite knowing of all the potential (and possibly persistent) side effects, specifically with finasteride, was that I know my own body and it has always been very resilient and resistant to illness/allergies/side effects. I actually believe some side effects can be avoided with a positive mental attitude about the whole situation, because I truly think that some if not most side effects reported from the use of Finasteride are fear-induced. Maybe, maybe not, but this type of thinking works for me so I'm going with it.

I think you're right about that, and its probably the reason I started it the first time. I don't know though... I guess its less about side effects (though that's on my mind of course) than it is that I just don't like the idea of ingesting man made chemicals. Heck, I even avoid heavily processed foods when I can.

But ultimately I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. It'll definitely be interesting to track your progress.

Best of luck, man! Let me know what you ultimately decide to go with for your anti-androgen.

Well I'm going to finish this jar of spironolactone first... I might even just stick to spironolactone for the first 6-8 months or so just to see if I see any difference with it. If not, I'll bump it up. The hair ain't going anywhere drastic in the next year I don't think so I got some time to play around.

Reaction score
@adrift98: You definitely have a good attitude about the whole process. Everyone is different, so you may find that spironolactone works wonders for you and people on these forums will be modeling their regimens after yours! Let's hope so. If I was a betting man, I'd wager that most of the high quality anti-androgens out there yield comparable results to one another anyway.

Also, don't underestimate the merit of having a positive outlook. Sometimes, I talk to my vellus hairs. I give them words of encouragement. :woot:

RSR38

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing you mentioned about being excited to use styling products really hit home with me. After balding for several years in a very diffuse pattern, I started on the Big 3. I never expected to grow back enough healthy, dense hair to style it with product. But it worked and within a year I was using styling products on my hair with a big smile. Sounds kinda goofy, but it is a victory over hair loss. I'm about 20 months into treatments now and hair is still getting better each month!

Reaction score
@RSR38: That's great to hear, man! It feels good to get your hair and confidence back. I hate my hair loss. I look around at other 26 year old guys and it seems like 75% of them have a better head of hair than me. It makes you feel awful. I keep thinking I'm on a bad episode of the twilight zone or something and one day I'm going to wake up and look in the mirror and all of a sudden have a NW7 and lose all of my progress with the Big 3.

It's funny because only a few months ago I would constantly have dreams about losing my hair or balding really badly. But recently I have been having dreams about having a very thick shock of hair and the only trouble is not knowing how to style it! I'll take that problem any day!

triplethreat

Reaction score
hey man.. been following your story.

Im just finishing up my first month now on minoxidil and nearly 2months on finasteride so im not too far into my regimen like you. Well done on your progress so far. looking forward to seeing your new pics. Im going to post my 1month photos up tomorrow so check them out. I have been shedding badly but seeing regrowth as well so still not holding my breath about the whole thing but being positive anyways.

Good luck in getting to the stage of wearing gel! go for it man

Reaction score
First, I want to say a few things. I'm sorry about the length discrepancy, but I want to grow my hair out at least until my sister's wedding (10/22/11). After that, I think I will cut it with a #2 again to get some better comparison pics, but I think you can still notice a pretty significant difference. Still not perfect, as there is still a little thinning near the crown and on top, which is still noticeable to me when my hair is wet, but I'm very pleased with the progress so far. So without further ado...

Pics on left are baseline. Pics on right are from today, 10/06/11.

1728_thumb.jpg
1921_thumb.jpg

1729_thumb.jpg
1922_thumb.jpg

1730_thumb.jpg
1923_thumb.jpg

1731_thumb.jpg
1924_thumb.jpg

1732_thumb.jpg
1926_thumb.jpg

1733_thumb.jpg
1927_thumb.jpg

1839_thumb.jpg
1925_thumb.jpg

Plasticman82

Reaction score
well done, looks awsome - you must be well pleased:) Do you think thats from the finasteride? if so for only 2 months that is amazing. Im on my 3rd month but not results yet:(

Reaction score
Wow, great success! Your hairline & hair reminds me quite a bit of mine ('specially since mine is shaved to a 2 as well) and your results give me a lot of hope!

I have a few questions for you...Where did you apply the minoxodil and how, as far as just using the dropper or rubbing in, etc.? I know for me, my main focus is on the hairline. so I tend to apply more of it to there than to the top of my head. Did you follow a similar approach?

Also, about when did you start to notice that hair was growing and what did it look like?

Thanks!!! And I hope for your continued success bro!

Reaction score
@Plasticman82: Thanks man! Keep your head up and just stick with it. As for your question, I would say it's nearly impossible to determine for sure what works best for me without trialing the products individually, but if I had to guess I would say that finasteride is the cornerstone to my success. I say this because I have seen the thickness improve all over the scalp, but I don't apply minoxidil evenly all over the scalp. I focus mostly on the hairline.

@Spanishpants123: Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your support. As for your questions, I mostly apply the minoxidil to the hairline. I would say I use approximately 0.25 mL on each side of the hairline, if not a little more, 0.25 on the crown and the rest on the scalp. I'm less concerned about the scalp because I think finasteride will help the most with that, so I have been really hammering the hairline with minoxidil. I have also neglected the crown quite a bit, but I make sure I get at least a small bit on there each application. My process is to start with 1 mL in the dropper and basically create a small triangle on each side of my hairline with the minoxidil, using about 0.5 to 0.75 mL total for the hairline. If you look at my pics and imagine a mostly straight across hairline with just a slight widow's peak, that's basically how I form the triangles on either side. I focus the dropper the most near the edges of my existing hairline where I can see tiny little vellus hairs still hanging on for dear life! Once I create the Minoxidil hairline of my dreams, I use a bit right in the middle of the crown. Whatever's left I use on the scalp. Usually there's only enough left to do a line right down the middle of the scalp, but sometimes there's enough to sort of zig zag from side to side, back to front, if that makes sense. Once the solution is completely out of the dropper, I gently massage it into my scalp, starting at the temples and working it in making small circles with my fingers. In this manner, I try to spread the solution out a little more with my fingers to cover the parts of my scalp I may have neglected.

For your second question, I noticed hairs were springing up right at the edges of my existing hairline. Some of them seemed to sprout out of nowhere to a full quarter inch over night, although I know that probably didn't happen. With each evening application of minoxidil, I examine my hairline very closely where I am massaging it. This helps me to notice subtle changes. I noticed that when I started I had tiny little nearly invisible hairs near my hairline, so I always focus the minoxidil on those hairs first. Before I started treatments, I distinctly remember 2 hairs near my hairline that I used as my "markers." They were very easy to pick out because they were both very dark hairs and they stood straight up. The first of the 2 was about 1/8 inch off my hairline and the second of the 2 was another 1/8 inch past that. Since then, I have been able to see many hairs pop up between my hairline and that first "marker" hair. I'm hoping the hairline keeps improving and reaches the second "marker" hair. Only time will tell. Just take a really close look in the mirror at your existing hairline. Try to see if you can find any tiny colorless hairs there. If you can, try rubbing the minoxidil into those hairs each night as you look closely for them in the mirror and just keep taking mental notes on how those hairs are looking.

I hope all this helps! Best of luck!

Reaction score
I'm really debating whether or not to cut it back down to a #2 before the wedding. I think it will actually look worse at a #2 right now than at its current length because I won't get as much temple coverage. At a #2 there's no way to "disguise" hair loss. But, at the same time, I will get a much better idea of how I am progressing.

Tentatively, my plan is to go to a salon and get a low fade or some other short cut and to have them dye it my natural color to get the grey out. I'm torn. I could use some opinions.

Reaction score
I know I haven't posted any progress in a while but it's because my personal life has been crazy lately. I recently started a new job in Columbus. Actually, it's a new job but it was also my old job before I started my last job. I made a move from Texas to Ohio and am currently living in an extended stay hotel where, sadly, I cannot get internet for some reason. I am posting this with my phone. Alas, I cannot upload my 3 and 4 month pics until I move into my new apt January 6 or shortly thereafter.

Hair is sill going strong. Just recently added fish oil to the regimen and I am only using 5% minoxidil once a day now. I discontinued the 15% (for now) but I plan on adding it again in the future once I have a permanent address! Occasionally I will still do 2 applications of 5% but my hair has been looking great in the morning when I get out of the shower so I don't usually mess with it.

Will update when I can. By that point, I will have 3, 4, and 5 month pics!

Reaction score
So I have a nice little success story to tell. I was recently having dinner with one of my best friends, who had been my roommate for two years prior to my move to Texas, and his wife. We were eating at a place in Columbus and I had only seen him on one other occasion since moving back to Ohio. I noticed him glance at my hair a few times and he finally asked me, "what is the opposite of receding?"

I smiled because I had been hoping for just such a moment. I replied, "I don't know, proceeding."

He said, "I think your hair is proceeding." So I told him about the products I was using and he was shocked at how well it was working. He was under the belief that Rogaine and Propecia didn't really work and it was all just a bunch of hype, a common misconception, I think, because I felt the same way before I did my research. He later told me, after I had showed him my before pics, he thought I could make some money if I did a commercial for Rogaine.

The change in my hair, though not immediately noticeable to most, was obvious to him because I had lived with him for two years. I have noticed other family members glancing at my hair but no one else has asked about it. Another friend of mine asked if I was dyeing my hair because it is in fact noticeably darker, and although I did dye it for my sister's wedding, I told him no because it is back to natural now after a couple haircuts.

Things are looking up! Hair felt very thick today. I actually threw in some American crew and styled it into a sort of faux hawk. Temple coverage was awesome today with just a little product.