FlamingPie's Story (UPDATE PAGE 6)

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
ONE YEAR update on the page 3

alrighty so i am 22 years old and i am fearful of male pattern baldness. Right now i am probably a nw2, with frontal thinning. I recently started using rogaine foam and nizoral in hopes of maintaining what i have and maybe thicken up. I started my regime 3 weeks ago, and attached are pictures from the day i started. The first picture is taken right after i got out of the shower with my hair combed back, the second picture is with my hair towel dried, combed back.
I will update in 3 months, maybe even sooner if i see results.

How do you think my hairloss is? Also, does anyone think i should add tricomin?

Attachments

• P1020705.JPG
    P1020705.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 288
  • P1020713.JPG
    P1020713.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 294

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: just started rogaine+nizoral w/pics

hey man, I've been on your same regime for about 3 months and my hair has thickened up a bit :D

imo don't add anything and just see how it works out for you

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: FlamingPie's Story (age 22)

hey so its been almost 8 weeks so i figured id give a little update.
Its weird using the foam, as my hair has its good days and bad days. Some days i look in the mirror and think im seeing new, tiny hairs growing on my hairline. Then there are other days were the foam makes my hair so greasy that you could see straight through to my scalp.
Im pretty confident that im having tiny hairs popping up around my temples, but also the rest of my hair is feeling thinner at times. Im hoping this is just part of the dreaded shed that everyone talks about. Anyone else have this problem?
Im not letting this shed bother me though, as i am optimistic that within the next two months i will start to have visible regrowth.
Hopefully within the next six weeks i can post new photos to see if anyone else notices a difference.

tooyoungforthiscrap

Established Member
Reaction score

I've never used rogaine, and since I have thin hair all over the top I'd fear it would make my hair look horrible unless I buzzed it, so I can imagine how you feel on those "bad hair days". Have you considered using finasteride (propecia/ proscar) rather than minoxidil? (Or in addition to it)

It's supposed to be stronger than just using rogaine, and it's a hell of a lot easier to use. (pop a pill every day) I really wouldn't consider trying to fight my hair loss without it.

You still have a lot of hair and it's pretty thick, good job catching it early! Mine's a LOT thinner than yours and I'm just 19, but since we both have hair all over our heads we can hope for good thickening up! To the untrained eye, that 2nd pic looks like a normal head of hair with a slightly more than mature hairline! I bet you'll be able to keep it all for a long, long time.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

flame

it wouldn't hurt to see your "facial profile"
to see how far back your temples go

i suspect your still an NW2 and not past that

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

ok so its been 3 months so i figured id give an update with pictures. Personally i think the regime has been working great. Not only does my hair feel thicker, but i am no longer shedding. Before the regime when i would shampoo my hair i would find like 50 hairs in my palm. Now its only like 1 or 2. So here are some pictures so you be the judge.

Attachments

• P1020814.JPG
    P1020814.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 227
  • P1020815.JPG
    P1020815.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 244

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score

yup it's working. Although you are not protecting your hair from DHT. You should put a dht blocker in your regimen, pill or topical. Good results though!

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

damn, im starting to shed again.
I had great great results between month 3 and month 4. Now im between month 4 and 5, and im starting to see my hair fall out a lot more now.
Is it too soon to add another product to my regime, or should I wait till at least month 6 before i do that.
If i were to add another product it would either be topical spironolactone or folligen.
Which would you use? Any success stories with either product?

Reaction score

Ahhm... neither, I would use finasteride....Are you really shedding that bad? Your hair looked great in the last couple of photos, thinning was hardly even that evident at all....You're just on minoxidil with no DHT blockers that can address the purported root cause of the problem...I'm not cognizant of any studies on the efficacy of topical spironolactone; I think if they do exist, they are pretty antiquated....I think if you get on some finasteride, your little problem will become stable as the DHT levels will be blocked to a certain extent and it will give the minoxidil a chance to do it's thing.....I would've tried the finasteride first, then added the rogaine later on; that was the same mistake I made....

The shedding you're experiencing can't be THAT bad right?

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

nah the shedding isnt that bad, im probably just freaking out over nothing lol.
its just that there was a good month or two where it seemed i had absolutely NO hair falling off my head, something i havent experienced in a long time. Now im starting to see little amounts of hair in my palm when i shampoo, and i guess im getting a little paranoid even though nothing is wrong.
Ive considered finasteride, but i really dont wanna mess with hormones and side effects.

Im kinda hoping i can get some great results/maintenance with a topical only regime....something tells me thats just wishful thinking.

Reaction score

The frontal loss that you probably partially reversed will last longer if you get on finasteride, I think......you probably won't get sides, call it a hunch...if you do, you can just stop and they will subside.....Plus finasteride works all over the head instead of one particular region, but is purportedly most effective in the crown area....

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

Ok so its been over 6 months so i figured id give an update

Even though the temple regrowth i saw at the 3rd month has kinda faded, i am still thickening up everywhere, which i see as a huge success.
Before starting treatments i could no longer grow my hair long because it would look too thin and look like a bad frontal comb over. You be the judge with the picture below, but i feel that i can pull it off now.

Im still considering adding spironolactone real soon....need a dht fighter.

Attachments

• P10300491.png
    P10300491.png
    556.8 KB · Views: 238
  • P10300531.png
    P10300531.png
    470.6 KB · Views: 284

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score

yeah I'd say those are real good results, there is no visible thinning anywhere anymore. you can pull off the long hair no problem

couple questions: do you use minoxidil twice a day? any sides?

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score

Good stuff, man, congrats.

Just wondering though, how long can one expect to keep maintaining on minoxidil or minoxidil/finasteride?

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

to oarf,

from what i read, long term maintenance with only minoxidil is hard/rare to achieve. Which is why i need to find something to add to my regime soon.
While im not a fan of finasteride, there are many people who've had very long success/maintenance with the finasteride+minoxidil combo.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score

Wow those are some great results, if you achieved that just with minoxidil then adding finasteride will keep you set for a long time.

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

So its been 9 months now on the foam. The experience has had its ups and downs, but i there is definitely still a great improvement.
A little over a month ago I added revita shampoo and i have been using it twice a week, with nizoral another 2 days a week. At first there was a terrible shed everytime i applied it, but it has recently stopped and im hoping if anything revita can give me a good cosmetic effect.

Look at the pictures and judge for yourself, but i think my progess has been pretty stable since the last time i updated 3 months ago. If you look at my hairline you can see all those tiny, thin hairs. They were a result from the foam but they arent getting any thicker. Do you think spironolactone will help thicken those up? I would have added that to my regime months ago but this site is always sold out of it.
Ive also added a pic of how i style my hair to see if you think i conceal it well.

Attachments

• P1030080.JPG
    P1030080.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 216
  • P1030097.JPG
    P1030097.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 225
  • P1030092.JPG
    P1030092.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 253

Hoppi

Reaction score

This is cool man well done, your hair looks wicked! I am thinking of using Revita and Spectral DNC together and a few other bits n bobs, I have heard very mixed things about Revita, to be honest I think it really does need to be used with something else like straight minoxidil, xandrox, spectral, spironolactone or something like that, or on it's own it doesn't fully seem to be able to pull it's weight. I like the look of it though :)

Regenepure is another big maybe! :)