Getting amazing results with my regimen, but have questions?

Paladine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Up until November of last year I had long hair, but came to terms with the fact that it was thinning really badly and it looked pretty bad. It was literally so thin it had the texture and weight of cobwebs, and even the slightest breath of wind would send it flying straight up. I could see my scalp clear as day. So I decided to buzz it off to a #1 and with the New Year, start on a hardcore regimen to try to get it back.

In just over 4 months it has made a HUGE turnaround as it grows back out and is now as thick as I remember it ever being. I'm so stoked because I'll be able to grow the good-looking mane of long hair I've always wanted now! I do have some questions though about the results I've gotten (and results in general)...

First of all, when somebody gets uncommonly fast results like I have, do the results tend to taper off quickly or can I expect my hair to improve even more over the next few months/couple of years? It seems to be commonly accepted that the average person won't see results for a few months, but being that mine were almost immediate I'm wondering if they'll continue to build and improve. I don't want to seem "greedy" but even though I'm thrilled with how my hair is now, I'll literally take as much thickness and density as I can get!

Second, my results came about in a rather "interesting" manner, in that it seems like one part of my head at a time showed the most regrowth. For example, first the left side of my head started thickening and densing up much more, then a few weeks later the right side went into a growth spurt, leaving the very middle of my head the sparsest. Then the middle went into its spurt and now only the very front tip of my hairline and a small area in the crown are still a touch sparse (though the crown area is MUCH thicker and denser than it was). Is that common when hair regrows and improves? Also, my hair is noticeably darker than it was before, I'm assuming due to how much thicker and better-textured my follicles are now.

Third, I have new growth in the temple area where I've NEVER had hair before. I've always had this same naturally high hairline/big forehead even as a kid, and now there are lots of intermediate hairs in new places there. They've kinda stalled out and stayed the same over the last couple months, but can I expect them to continue to grow and fill in in time, altering my hairline for the better?

Here are some pictures -- The first one is of me with my thin, lousy long hair back in October of 2010, and the 2nd and 3rd are of my hair progress taken 2 days ago (hair parted down the middle), 4.5 months of growth from my final #1 buzz on December 31st of 2010:

Then:

Thinlonghair.jpg

Now:

Front

May2011.jpg

Back

May2011a.jpg

Looking forward to your thoughts and input. Thanks guys!

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd guess

Generic 5% minoxidil twice daily
Nizoral 1% shampoo 3 times per week (was 2x but upped to 3 recently)
Saw Palmetto Berry Extract
Nettle Root Extract
Biotin
MSM
Fish Oil
Cayenne Pepper (ingested)
Orange Triad multivitamins
DE (just started taking it recently but have been inconsistent)

I also just started using MN (monistat) recently so hopefully it'll further enhance the growth and results.

but not everybody (including myself) keeps their regimen up to date, click [view my regimen] ;-)

btw i can't really notice that much of difference because of the angles of the photos and the hair length.

Paladine

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
btw i can't really notice that much of difference because of the angles of the photos and the hair length.

Yeah sorry about that, the angles aren't consistent in those pics... they are just my latest so I posted them first but here are a few other pics starting from when I last buzzed my head and began my regimen. Hopefully these will show my progress a little better:

January:

MeJan.jpg

MeJanBack.jpg

February:

MeFebTop.jpg

MeFebSide.jpg

April:

Menew1.jpg

Menew.jpg

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
ah yes that's fuckloads better!

It's probably you'll get further improvements, as to how long they stick around people can maintain of just finasteride alone for years and years and years.

If your loss happened gradually, then by the time things are going wobbly i'd expect their to be new treatments available

Actually i've noticed your not on finasteride, that'll definitely effect how long you get the benefits for.

Paladine

Reaction score
Thanks! :)

It seems to have been very gradual over the last few years... though during my stressful divorce a year and a half ago it seemed to have gotten noticably worse.

I'm combining the Saw Palmetto Berry Extract with Nettle Root Extract to work in place of finasteride... since I'm getting such good results I figure I'll stick with this and someday if things start going south again despite this regimen I'll use finasteride instead.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Hair's looking good man :)

I've been thinking of using the same regimen actually - an azole and minoxidil, basically! Seems like a good combo.

and yeah man it SUCKS when long hair thins (like mine too).. my sympathy is also very much with those with DREADS who start losing hair damn that must suck >.<

It's soooo not fair.. I hate male pattern baldness ._.

Awesome you've done so well - I would say keep at it and if you want to increase results, then perhaps add Folligen or if you're feeling experimental perhaps CB-03-01 if you want to particularly nuke androgens! It depends if you feel your hair would benefit more from more stimulation to grow (Folligen) or more blocking of androgens.

Also a daily azole (ketoconazole or miconazole) will do more good that twice or three times a week IMO, but unfortunately mico is a nitrate which means you can get nitrates building up in the body, and I still am not convinced any amount of ketoconazole is good for the liver. That aside though, I do believe they're both brilliant for hair growth.

You can probably expect a bit more growth, but adding one of the above especially in the areas where you want to actually stimulate very weak follicles to grow I think would help you greatly. minoxidil seems to work well on me too.

Good luck dude and I'm also glad to find someone else on here who shares my love for having long hair! haha :)

Hope the good results keep coming and only get better for you! ^_^

Paladine

Reaction score
Thanks Hoppi! Appreciate the comments, especially from a fellow longhair who's in the same boat. Hopefully your regimen is going well so far.

Yeah actually I am using Azoles almost daily, if you glanced at my regimen you'll notice I started using Monistat (Thanks to the LHC forum for that idea haha) and I use it on days that I don't use Nizoral. I just started the Monistat recently though so it's too early to see potential results from it.

It's nice to have some actual weight and mass to my hair now. When it gets long again it should look really good. My pictures don't do justice to how nice the texture and color looks now. Can't wait!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Paladine said:
Thanks Hoppi! Appreciate the comments, especially from a fellow longhair who's in the same boat. Hopefully your regimen is going well so far.

Yeah actually I am using Azoles almost daily, if you glanced at my regimen you'll notice I started using Monistat (Thanks to the LHC forum for that idea haha) and I use it on days that I don't use Nizoral. I just started the Monistat recently though so it's too early to see potential results from it.

It's nice to have some actual weight and mass to my hair now. When it gets long again it should look really good. My pictures don't do justice to how nice the texture and color looks now. Can't wait!

That's awesome man :)

And good to hear about the mico/Monistat. Unfortunately the mico cream I'm using is only 2%.. is Monistat 4%?

I reckon you've got something good there tbh. Alternating keto and miconazole is probably a very good idea. Hell, for some a daily use of either of them is probably enough to stop hair loss (I have heard of at least one case of that).

At some point I may just bite the bullet and start using topicals all over (at the moment I have only been using them on my hairline because I've been pursuing a health-based approach of tackling things like Candida in my body). It's good to know the options are so strong when/if I decide to do it :)

I love living in the age of the internet xD

porter44

Reaction score
Paladine said:
I'm combining the Saw Palmetto Berry Extract with Nettle Root Extract to work in place of finasteride... since I'm getting such good results I figure I'll stick with this and someday if things start going south again despite this regimen I'll use finasteride instead.

Your results look good.

What brand of Saw Palmetto and Nettle Root are you using and what dosage per day of each. Some people will say brand doesn't matter but there's been a few times where I've found a significant difference in similar styled supplements.

Paladine

Reaction score
Hoppi - I'm using the 2% right now. I initally tried the 4% but it made my head itch like crazy so I'm doing the 2%. No itch or headaches.

Porter - Thanks! I'm actually just using CVS store brand Saw Palmetto. Nettle Root is the NOW brand. 320mg of Saw Palmetto either once or twice daily depending on how lazy I am and 500mg of Nettle Root twice daily, same "laziness factor" applies as I take it together with the Saw Palmetto... haha.

I think the important thing with Saw Palmetto is to make sure it's the berry extract, 85-95%. It comes in other ways but they're supposedly not as effective.

Paladine

Reaction score
Here's another shot from today... I'm parting my hair now and I'm entering the "awkward stage" of long hair growth since my hair is getting shaggy around my ears and neck haha. Gotta love the devil horns.

Awkward1.jpg

I'll have to play around with random hairstyles as it grows out... should be fun!

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Paladine,

I'm glad you've found great results without finasteride, as i've kindof felt like i'm alone in not taking it. I too take minoxidil with Saw Palmetto. Can you clarify something for me ...

This Saw Palmetto ...

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... d=49&sid=0

is better than this one ... ?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... d=49&sid=0

I ask because i bought the second one only yesterday and you mentioned that the one with berries is stronger! I'm so pissed right now if you confirm i've bought the crap stuff, lol.

Paladine

Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding - Haha thanks brah. I'm taking Creatine Mono (Allmax creapure), White flood, Purple Wraath for my lifting routine plus the Orange Triad Multi and Fish Oil from my hair regimen.

ukmale - Hate to say it but from what I understand the Berry Extract (standardized 85-95%) is the more effective stuff because it's concentrated I think? Not sure how much of the type you bought you'd have to take to get the same effect... sorry mang! I think I read that it can still work but you have to take a lot more of it... don't quote me though cuz I'm not positive on that.

Either way I'm glad this is working out so well without finasteride... two main reasons:

1) I'm paranoid about the sexual side effects... lol.

2) I still have finasteride in my back pocket as a "Hail Mary" if things taper off with this regimen.

Good luck!

Hoppi

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend finasteride. It DEFINITELY gave me sides, no question. And they're possibly still lingering a bit.. I definitely think they are.

Stick to topicals and that man :)

I grabbed some keto shampoo today so I'll start to ease myself back into a all-over topical regimen I think!

EDIT -- Oh also, how do you use the Monistat? I have a miconazole 2% cream here (Daktarin which is supposed to be for athlete's foot or something lol, but they all do the job) and... all I can think to do is squeeze some in water and shake it up and then apply it like that. Is the Monistat you have a cream as well, or do you have an easier / less messy way to apply it through hair?

Cheers dude :)

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi,

I've been looking up Monistat and it seems to me it's just 2% MN anyway. I use the same cream you use currently (Daktarin for Athlete's foot) Have you noticed a different with yours yet? I just apply the cream without mixing it with water. I'll keep persisting but i have heard of bad side effects, the main one being increased shedding when use of it is stopped. Also I have Daktarin Gold which is Keto 2% cream.

Thanks Paladine, I think I'l get the better Berry extracted SP, along with the Nettle root.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I wouldn't recommend finasteride. It DEFINITELY gave me sides, no question. And they're possibly still lingering a bit.. I definitely think they are.

Stick to topicals and that man :)

I grabbed some keto shampoo today so I'll start to ease myself back into a all-over topical regimen I think!

EDIT -- Oh also, how do you use the Monistat? I have a miconazole 2% cream here (Daktarin which is supposed to be for athlete's foot or something lol, but they all do the job) and... all I can think to do is squeeze some in water and shake it up and then apply it like that. Is the Monistat you have a cream as well, or do you have an easier / less messy way to apply it through hair?

Cheers dude :)

stopping the Miconazole will only mean losing what extra it give you. I just stick the Daktarin straight on the scalp where I need it, no mixing. Some people mix it with minoxidil and put that solution on but I've read the Miconazole may act as a barrier so I stick the minoxidil on first and then the miconazole.

thinninghairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
When did you start taking Purple Wrath ?

im wondering if this has anything to do with the hair thickness/regrowth as its a high quality BCAA product , i took it a while ago and my hair was looking amazing round that time ...

Paladine

Reaction score
Hoppi - I pretty much do the same thing. It's too hard for me to put the cream directly into my hair, almost feels harsh when I try like it's pulling at the hairs, so I mix it with a tad of water and apply it like one would apply Rogaine Foam... haha. Just dump it on my head and work it in.

However, the hairline and whorl on the back of my head I apply the cream directly to since it's easy.

ukmale - No problem and good luck!

thinninghairsucks - I started using it in like February I think. Haven't used it consistently though, couple weeks on couple weeks off that sort of thing. Interesting theory though maybe I should give it a go full-time!

Hoppi

Reaction score
shineman921 said:
stopping the Miconazole will only mean losing what extra it give you. I just stick the Daktarin straight on the scalp where I need it, no mixing. Some people mix it with minoxidil and put that solution on but I've read the Miconazole may act as a barrier so I stick the minoxidil on first and then the miconazole.

Well, I'm only using it to help minoxidil (and Folligen and stuff) regrow my hairline for now, but I would definitely consider it all over.

And thanks Paladine that's helpful! I'll probably start using 2% miconazole on my off days from keto shampoo as well, that's a good idea!

I gotta do something really as my hair is looking fairly thin around the top but not QUITE yet noticeable I don't think, and my hairline is a little wartorn but holding on. I need to kick my topicals up a notch if I wanna ensure this one stays under control!! :)