GoatsHair's Story - (PHOTOS INCLUDED - 35 years old)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: GoatsHair's Story - PHOTOS INCLUDED - Need help please.

big 3 is there to hold what you have left til something better comes out.

GoatsHair

Reaction score

Thanks guys for the advice so far...

How do I go about finding a good hair transplant Doctor? I tried searching under "Trichologist" but am not having any luck with my search yet...

metalheaddude

Reaction score

DoctorHouse said:
Metaldude, the fact that some never recover after losing lots of great hair on the big 3 is a big mystery I would love solved. Why would the hair not be recovered. It takes many cycles to become vellus hairs so how can one to three good sheds knock the thick hairs out or make them thinner. My theory is you stimulate a non stop chemical telogen effluvium or chronic telogen effluvium. The fear of stopping the medical treatment to see if everything gets better is a high gamble because if you were wrong then you could lose more than when you stopped. I went to once a day minoxidil for the past 5 or 6 months and things are now worse so now I have no choice but to go back to twice a day and see if things improve again. I agree with you Metaldude, if he definitely has a concrete diagnosis by a hair transplant expert like Rassman, I would just take Propecia and wait a year before he does any additive treatment. If I had a time machine, I would do the same. I hope Jayman is right. He said most likely in a year or two, I might get some thickness back again. I hope so. By the way if that is you in your avatar, your hair looks totally normal.

Hmm I think your theory is a possibilty. It is a great mystery. I mean honestly at the end of the day, no one really knows how finasteride or minoxidil works and there is no long term studies on its effects. In essence we are the guinea pigs. But I personally have not had "hair thickening" as a result of the big 3. Ive had alot of gereral thinning (particularily on the sides of my head above my ears, its almost bald there!) YET my crown has definately filled in and maintained. My mid scalp and donor region is thicker than ever! And my hairline is holding. So im not complaining, because with hair thickening products my hair can look pretty good at times. So overall my experience on the BIG 3 is positive, not negative, but the mechinisms of how this stuff works is bizzare, it definately has some kind of overall thinning effect. Its a total roller coaster. Ive had some incredible lows, where i just thought it was all over and I thought of abandoning my treatments, but i stuck with it and suddenly turned the corner Whats your experience Doctorhouse?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Metaldude, I have always been lucky to have full coverage and minor recession. I always had complements about my hair without even fishing for them. As I posted I started taking Propecia almost two years ago along with Rogaine and I would say my hair did have some sheds but nothing massive. Not until 2 months ago I switched to Proxiphen and now I have a lot of shedding in just mainly the areas I apply the topicals. So I know its the topicals causing the shed. But this shed is the worst of all because I can see my scalp more which I never had before as much. I have mild BDD so I did not like seeing my hair thinning and it was thinning probably due to using minoxidil before I even started Propecia. So I got concerned and went on Propecia. I did get some regrowth even and my hair did thicken for a while but then I had sheds but only in the same areas I used topicals. So I know I am causing a chemically induced telogen effluvium but it may no longer be short term but now long term. Now basically my hairs are dependent on these meds so I have no choice but to stay on them until something better comes along. s.a.f. was right about one thing, he said most people with BDD tend to have nice hair in some cases. I use hair thickeners like you do and my hair will look normal enough so no one has ever commented that my hair looks thinner except myself of course and I am not hallucinating and its not my BDD now, its a real reality check. So I know my theory about topicals is at least possible. So if any thing Goat should start on Propecia if he thinks he is starting to lose hair if confirmed by a hair transplant Doctor.

G

metalheaddude said:
Hmm I think your theory is a possibilty. It is a great mystery. I mean honestly at the end of the day, no one really knows how finasteride or minoxidil works and there is no long term studies on its effects. In essence we are the guinea pigs. But I personally have not had "hair thickening" as a result of the big 3. Ive had alot of gereral thinning (particularily on the sides of my head above my ears, its almost bald there!) YET my crown has definately filled in and maintained. My mid scalp and donor region is thicker than ever! And my hairline is holding. So im not complaining, because with hair thickening products my hair can look pretty good at times. So overall my experience on the BIG 3 is positive, not negative, but the mechinisms of how this stuff works is bizzare, it definately has some kind of overall thinning effect. Its a total roller coaster. Ive had some incredible lows, where i just thought it was all over and I thought of abandoning my treatments, but i stuck with it and suddenly turned the corner Whats your experience Doctorhouse?

Rogaine and Propecia don't cause hair thinning unless you have some incredibly rare and weird reaction to them. They've both been proven to grow hair in FDA studies. You have thin and thick cycles because these drugs can speed up cycles and also synchronize/desynchronize them so your hair can look thinner or thicker depending on the month. But when enough time passes(18 months+) on the two combined, you should see the hair reach at least its original state that it was pre-drugs, if not thicker(it gets thicker for a lot of people).

metalheaddude

Reaction score

JayMan said:
metalheaddude said:

Rogaine and Propecia don't cause hair thinning unless you have some incredibly rare and weird reaction to them. They've both been proven to grow hair in FDA studies. You have thin and thick cycles because these drugs can speed up cycles and also synchronize/desynchronize them so your hair can look thinner or thicker depending on the month. But when enough time passes(18 months+) on the two combined, you should see the hair reach at least its original state that it was pre-drugs, if not thicker(it gets thicker for a lot of people).

I agree with this. As i mentioend I believe I would be alot worse off I had I not been on these drugs, no doubt about that. But its these "thick and thin" cycles as you mentioned that can be really discouraging at times. So my advice to any novice users out there is NEVER EVER STOP the meds. Once you commit to it, its for life.

The only thing im possiblily considering is minoxidil once a day instead of twice. Im not really getting re-grwoth on my hairline with minoxidil, id be happy if i could maintain its current state with once a day application of foam..

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Metaldude, for me going to once a day Foam was ok for a while but after about 5 or 6 months I think my hair looked better on twice a day. I am going back to twice a day for now and re-evaluate in 3 or 4 months. I am hoping Jayman is right about this thick and thin cycle explanation because after this shed my hair better come back the thickest since this is my first major or massive shed.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

JayMan said:
metalheaddude said:

I totally agree, most of people didn't achieve rather satisfying results before they didn't give the treatment enough time to work.

GoatsHair

Reaction score

Based on my research so far, I think that Propecia would probably be the most effective treatment to avoid any more hairloss; however, I am very concerned about the short-term and long-term potential side effects; and, therefore, would like to try a topical medication instead.

Yes, pills would be more convenient and probably a bit more effective; however, the side effects and monthly financial commitment doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

I think a Topical DHT Blocker may be my best and safest route for my situation.... I don't really have a strong need to re-grow my thinning hairs... however, I do want to stop any more folicles from dying... what do you guys think? Is Topical spironolactone the best med for what I'm looking for? Or is there something better?

RaginDemon

Reaction score

give propecia a try, you will never know if its gonna give you sides unless you give it a try.