Gray Man's story (finasteride, minoxidil, now Dutasteride)

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I just typed a huge post detailing every outline of my hairloss since I first noticed it until the male pattern baldness itch got unbearable in spring 2010, prompting me to start finasteride. I realized few people care to read an essay on this so I'll just post some short notes instead.

I've been very scientific about hairloss from the beginning, and I intend to continue to be as long as I am fighting it. Bogus supplements and "natural" hairloss remedies are repeatedly shown to fail and I have little to no interest in them.

--started finasteride May 2010, still a 'nw1', but diffuse and losing more on one side than the other

--whole hairline has moved back a little, but still decently low in the middle and NW1 shape

--my hair is not extremely dense, but it's wirey, creating the illusion of vast thickness if it's any length over an inch and a half

--noticed finasteride side effects: groin/ball ache, slightly lower libido

--August 2010: had a strange effect. my testicles started to pull up to my body. It was very obnoxious, but after about two weeks went back close to normal (though they never hung as low as they used to since, something odd--size has remained normal though. Never have figured out the reason for this.)

--Sex drive remains constant for a while, I increase finasteride doseage to 1.5 to 2 mg per day. By October I started to have "retrograde" ejaculation every once in a while--sometimes nothing at all. It was very annoying. I cut back on finasteride and everything seemed to return to normal. I upped the dose again and never had that problem, but sperm remained watery\less

--by January 2011 I noticed I had less feeling in the genital area. I didn't get morning wood anymore, though I did sometimes notice night time erections. I ran out of finasteride in mid-January, and my hair was doing great, so I decided to hold off on buying some more for a while.

--within three days (January 18 or so) my sex drive exploded and I had about two weeks of non-stop horniness. By the two week period's end it was the most terrible I've ever been in my entire life. It tapered off to about normal levels soon after (I have an extremely high sex drive before and when off of finasteride)

--noticed hair receding again by early March, felt the male pattern baldness itch returning, I got back on finasteride at the lower dose of 0.25 mg.

--Less sperm, but still decent amount, and slightly lower sex drive, and no morning wood\random erections. I did not mind this at all really, in retrospect. Hair slowly started to recover back towards the state it was in in January.

--ran out of the finpecia i bought in late July, but I found a pack of fincar I had missed from my first order. I started to take these until September 10th, 2011, in 1.25mg doses. I felt my testicles hurt when I first started, and everything seemed normal, but I slowly felt my sex drive going away more than ever. It was very, very annoying.

-I stopped finasteride when I ran out in early September

-sex drive exploded for a few days, then seemed to go in and out for the next 3 weeks. I was wondering if I would stay in this limbo or what, so I ordered some zinc pincolate to see if it was actually of any use. I took 50mg a day, 25mg in morning and 25 at night, and within three days my sex drive was 100% normal. Morning erections, random boners, etc.

-on the downside, hairloss has already started again (I had stopped minoxidil too because I was quite broke and couldn't afford any more. New job, though, so I ordered plenty)

-I know my DHT is definitely up. Hair loss, slight itch (though this might be from the minoxidil), and I've noticed some new small dark hairs growing on the back of my upper arm and my chest.

So, in conclusion, I have decided to run an experiment. I have ordered some dutasteride (0.5mg Dutagen from InHouse) and I am going to try it for a while. Over at the HLH forum, myself and poster DecadeTwo have noticed that in some individuals, dutasteride actually has less side effects than finasteride--or none at all. This does not seem to be the norm, but I have seen enough anecdotal reports of it to convince me to give it a try. Here at HairLossTalk.com, Monty has reported the same thing, though he seems to have had bouts with other stuff in the meantime, and had developed some sides.

I'm going to give it a shot. If I see sides and they don't go away, I'll definitely stop and get back on 0.25 mg of finasteride, which seemed to work the best for me so far. Tomorrow morning (10/26) I will be taking my first dutasteride capsule. I did not see any shedding on finasteride, and I'm hoping I won't see any on dutasteride either like some people have reported.

This almost ended up being an essay too. Wow. I'm very long winded, apparently.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
GrayMan - i know that you think it won't happen to you, but considering that you lost feeling in your genitals at one point - you could end up with severe, persistent side effects if you keep messing with finasteride.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Fincar18 said:
GrayMan - i know that you think it won't happen to you, but considering that you lost feeling in your genitals at one point - you could end up with severe, persistent side effects if you keep messing with finasteride.

Unlikely. I never lost all feeling, it was just less sensitivity. This is entirely expected when there is a loss of libido of any sort.

As I said, I am being extremely scientific about this. I am firmly against PFS being any sort of widespread syndrome because there are no statistics to back it up.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I took another this morning.

Only thing is possibly slightly lower sex drive, but I am not sure...will take more time to see. No ball ache yet, which really surprised me. This was one thing I was expecting but haven't seen. Always experienced on finasteride, especially first starting.

The male pattern baldness "itch" seems to be going away--it had come back with a fury since going off finasteride.

Other than that report, no side effects. My biggest worry is that the dutasteride is somehow fake! But I trust InHouse and don't see why Dutagen would be fake.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Fincar18 said:

Unlikely. I never lost all feeling, it was just less sensitivity. This is entirely expected when there is a loss of libido of any sort.

As I said, I am being extremely scientific about this. I am firmly against PFS being any sort of widespread syndrome because there are no statistics to back it up.

Fair enough.

I look forward to seeing how you and Monty do. I have been considering running finasteride again or even dutasteride and tapering off to see how my body reacts.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
So I thought my sex drive seemed down because i wasn't getting any randm erections or anything for a couple of days. However, everything is starting to feel perfectly normal again. Still no ball ache, semen is normal,etc. Did my experiment work and i have no sides on dutasteride?

Or is the Dutagen by Ranbaxy I bought from inhouse fake?

Any thoughts?

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Monty, will water clear that taste of Dutasteride when you bite the pill? I get my new supply tomorrow, but I buy it from someone I talked to online. Just want to know, cause I'll be on the street and wanna know if I should take some juice with me or something. Also, if I test it like that, does it get absorbed in your system?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I just took a second dutagen gel cap tonight to taste it. I poked a small hole in it then put it in my mouth and bit into it

GODAWFUL TASTE

it was almost like some kind of terrible....spicey taste.

Pretty sure it's legit. It better save my hair, I've shed a TON especially on the hairline since stopping finasteride....I was doing so good too. UGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Pictures?

It's interesting to see what you die hard finasteride/ dutasteride guys look like

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Well so far so good. I am not sure if my sex drive is slightly down or not, but sensitivity in the area is still 100%, no watery sperm, and even getting morning erections.

Never had a single one on finasteride.

I am pretty sure it is legit dutasteride though.

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Well so far so good. I am not sure if my sex drive is slightly down or not, but sensitivity in the area is still 100%, no watery sperm, and even getting morning erections.

Never had a single one on finasteride.

I am pretty sure it is legit dutasteride though.

Glad to hear it, I noticed an increased sex drive on dutasteride as well.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
My biggest fear right now is that the stuff isnt legit or not working since i always had some degree of sides on finasteride. Need regrowth! Only been on two weeks though, lol.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Alright cool. I am considering buying a month or two of dutas as well to see if it has the same lack of sides that this dutagen has.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I ordered 15 pills of Dutas from InHouse for $22.00. It will be here in two weeks. If you think it's the same kind of stuff I'll definitely taste\use it for a while myself and see if it is the same as the Dutagen.

I'm really so giddy over the idea of not having sides right now. It's amazing. I just need the hair to follow.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Same! Shedded a sh*t load while on dutasteride, but no side effects. Pretty sure it was good dutasteride I had as well. Now just gotta wait out.. and it sucks. How much regrowth cna I expect anyway? Will it just pop up out of nothing one day? All I see right now is loss, and I'm still shedding more hairs than I'm supposed to...

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
deadlocks said:
Same! Shedded a sh*t load while on dutasteride, but no side effects. Pretty sure it was good dutasteride I had as well. Now just gotta wait out.. and it sucks. How much regrowth cna I expect anyway? Will it just pop up out of nothing one day? All I see right now is loss, and I'm still shedding more hairs than I'm supposed to...

What is the baldness situation like in your family? I looked at your pics and it seems yours is pretty aggressive in the hairline area. Mine is trying to get that way, and coming off of finasteride really hurt my hairline--lots of miniaturization started and some shedding.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Mother's side: my grandfather (NW6, eventually), grandmother (wore an hair system, so I don't know), uncle (NW5 almost 6), and cousins (NW3). Cousins of my mother also lost their hair very young (one was 15, and horsehoe bald) and her older cousin is in his 60s and about NW4.

Father's side: Father has slightly worse hair than me, his father had good hair, probably a NW2 but he died young (before his 65th), and my father has 2 uncles who are NW3~4A and NW3, but they are both older than 60 for sure.

I do look more like the males on my father's side however. And yes, it's extremely aggressive in the hairline area. Or it was, I'm now seeing more diffuse thinning coming in, but it's just an overall big mess anyway.

Never thought it would hit me so early... Mostly cause besides my uncle from mother's side, I never saw any other male family member regulary. Also, I have about the thickest texture of hair of ANY of my family members.

But it's needless to say that I am the only one doing something about it all.. And so far I seem to fail... :( Very disheartening, cause I did experience at least SOME results before... Now it's all gone to sh*t. I really don't know what to do no more... Cause in many ways I just CAN'T lose my hair (really).

I'm also extremely stressed out. For months now really. Don't know how much that contributes to this all.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
So basically what you say is that if you don't get success right away, you'll likely won't get any success at all? :dunno: The biggest shed I had lasted for about 7~8 months, and started about a year a go. Couldn't ever afford anything better than this regime, not before it's too late anyway... Am I screwed now?

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
deadlocks your hair follicle could be inactive. im seeing new growth along my hairline which means those hairs where inactive for a long period of time. over time the hair follicle will die