gtorres's story (8 month update on finasteride with PICS 5-18-2007)

gtorres

Reaction score
Well hello all. first off i'm 32 and i have been thining/losing my hair for 3 years. it wasnt till the other day when it hit me.
My sister says, hey you need to do something and grow some hair back its getting too thin.

So i said she's right ! NOW i got my RX for Propecia but what else should i start on at the same time?
Also i got 3 months worth of propecia,can i buy it anywhere else cheaper?

Thanks for any help it is appreciated.

G

I'm just going to paste you a post that I made a while ago because I don't feel like typing it all out. It should help you:

Oggy I am just going to paste you a post that I made for someone awhile ago who asked the same question. It's very long but informative:

"If you want to start finasteride,

You have a choice of Propecia or Proscar. Propecia is the 1 mg form of finasteride prescribed for hair loss, and Proscar is the 5 mg form of finasteride typically prescribed for benign prostatic hyperplasia.

Propecia you can just take 1 mg a day of, and Proscar you can cut into either 4 or 5 pieces, so you'll be taking either 1.25 mg a day or 1 mg a day. There's virtually no difference in effectiveness between 1.25 mg a day and 1 mg a day.

Now as for where to get it, you have a few options for where to get it. You can get your dermatologist to prescribe Propecia for you, but that's expensive. It will run you upwards of $700 a year. Or you could ask your dermatologist to prescribe you Proscar to save you money, and you can cut the pills yourself with a pill cutter into 4 or 5 pieces. That will run you around $270 a year. There is a generic Proscar available in the United States right now for around $230 a year. No generic Propecia available yet in United States pharmacies that I know of.

If you don't want to go the doctor route, then there are TWO reputable pharmacies online that I know of that don't require prescriptions.

These sites, in addition to carrying brand name Propecia and Proscar, also carry cheaper generics made in places like India that are just as effective.

Here are the two pharmacies that have been found to be reputable by people on this forum and others:

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com

If you want branded Propecia(1 mg), you can get it at these links:

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/Propeci ... s_p_8.html

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/propecia.html

If you want branded Proscar(5 mg), you can get it at these links:

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/Proscar ... s_p_9.html

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/proscar.html

If you are willing to try an Indian generic of Propecia(1 mg) which will save you a ton of money, here is a good one available at both sites. It's called Finpecia:

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/Finpeci ... p_343.html

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/finpecia.html

If you want to try an Indian generic of Proscar(5 mg) and save you even more money than the generic Propecia, because you will be cutting the pills yourselves with a pill cutter, go to one of these links:

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/Fincar_ ... p_346.html

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/fincar.html

Here are some estimates for prices:

A year's supply of branded Propecia will run you a bit over $700. A year's supply of branded Proscar will run you about $270 from a US pharmacy with a doctor's prescription. A year's supply of generic Proscar from a US pharmacy will run you about $230. That takes care of the various versions of finasteride available from US pharmacies.

As for online,

You can get a year's supply of branded Propecia for a bit over $700 as well. You can get generic Proscar somewhere in the $200s at the two sites.

You can get generic Propecia(Finpecia) for around $150 a year from United Pharmacies including shipping. You can get generic Proscar(Fincar) for around $80 a year from United Pharmacies including shipping.

So it comes down to your budget. If money isn't an issue then you can go to your Doctor, get a prescription, and get some US Propecia. Or you can use one of the sites above and save up to 80% on your finasteride.

Use Nizoral shampoo every 3 days and leave it in your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing. Follow it up with a good conditioner. You can get Nizoral 7 oz bottle at your local pharmacy or supermarket in the US for 15 bucks. Use a teaspoons worth each time so the bottle should last you about 2 and a half months or so.

Hold off on the Rogaine for now because Propecia may regrow some of your hair. If you aren't satisfied with the regrowth in a year or year and a half then add Rogaine.

gtorres

Reaction score
Wow this is really sad. I will post some pictures when i arrive from Work so you have an idea of where i'm at as far as male pattern baldness.
Also will the generic Propecia cause massive shedding like i read? Also i can see my scalp cause its thin should i start Rogaine 5 % to get some regrowth? :(

G

gtorres said:
Wow this is really sad. I will post some pictures when i arrive from Work so you have an idea of where i'm at as far as male pattern baldness.

okay

gtorres said:
Also will the generic Propecia cause massive shedding like i read?

It won't cause any more shedding than brand name Propecia. It's the same thing, assuming you get it from one of the two reputable pharmacies above, Inhouse or united. Generally if you start shedding after going on Propecia, and it's attributable to the drug, it's a sign that you will be a good responder to the drug. The drug is pushing your telogen phase hairs out a nd they will grow back in within a few months/

Also i can see my scalp cause its thin should i start Rogaine 5 % to get some regrowth? :(

I would honestly wait because Propecia can maintain that hair for you and it may be able to regrow some hair on your scalp. If you commit to Rogaine now at the same time you start Propecia you will never know which product is giving you the regrowth results. Rogaine does nothing for some people so it would suck to have to apply it forever if you don't need to. Taking a pill is obviously much easier so I'd start with the Propecia and if you aren't satisfied with your regrowth after a year then start Rogaine. You don't have to start Rogaine now for it to be effective. It will be just as effective in a year assuming you STAY on Propecia. Don't get off it or you will lose the hair it was holding in for you.

so i'd do propecia for a year and if you aren't happy with your regrowth from that then add minoxidil(rogaine). don't add minoxidil now because if you get regrowth then you won't know which it's from and you'll be forced to continue taking minoxidil. so start with propecia then a year from now decide whether or not you think you need minoxidil.

and use nizoral shampoo every 3 days. leave it in your hair for 5 minutes then wash it out.

what i said above is why people generally recommend not adding more than one treatment at a time. you may be using unnecessary things at the moment and once you start and see results you can't stop them for fear that the one product you want to stop was the one working for you and maintaining/regrowing your hair. but if you add them incrementally then you don't have the concern, because you know exactly what each product did for you. you know what im saying?

but start propecia before rogaine because propecia inhibits DHT which is the main cause of balding. All rogaine does is stimulate growth- it doesn't stop the balding process or stop other hairs from falling out.

JayMan

gtorres

Reaction score
well here is the pic, the lighting sucks sorry. as you can see i'mlosing it only in the front.

TopScalp.jpg

gtorres

Reaction score
just started Propecia today,other then nizoral should i just use these to for one year to see if there are any results?

G

gtorres said:
just started Propecia today,other then nizoral should i just use these to for one year to see if there are any results?

yes see my post above where i talked about it. i would stick with those two for now and after a year re-evaluate. you may not even need minoxidil. it's important to figure out which treatments work for you and if you add two at once, you won't know which is doing the trick. it could be one, it could be the other, or it could be both combined. but if propecia doesn't regrow any hair for you after a year it probably won't at all- and then you can try the minoxidil.

gtorres

Reaction score
ok, well we will see what happens as i will keep posting from now on. I there any thing other then minoxidil if Propecia doesnt do enough?

gtorres

Reaction score
WOW. Finpecia will save me a ton of cash>has anyone here orderd Finpecia? and isit a legit exact copy of Propecia?

G

ok, well we will see what happens as i will keep posting from now on. I there any thing other then minoxidil if Propecia doesnt do enough?

yeah you could add copper peptides like Tricomin which have been proven to grow hair in minoxidil trials. I would wait on that as well for the same reason as the minoxidil. Folligen is another copper peptide product. there is also dutasteride(brand name Avodart) which has been proven in FDA phase II trials to regrow more hair than propecia.

gtorres said:
WOW. Finpecia will save me a ton of cash>has anyone here orderd Finpecia? and isit a legit exact copy of Propecia?

yes beaner and others have used it on here. thousands of people do. beaner is a user here who has been taking it for a few months from united pharmacies. he says it has done wonders for him. i would order it from there too- hard to beat a year's supply of propecia for around $150. and no cutting required.

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
gtorres said:

Im a proud user of finpecia. Yes it is the same as Propecia.

gtorres

Reaction score
Do you guys recommend just propecia for now or use dutasteride at the same time?

Hawaii male how has finpecia worked for you?

G

gtorres said:
Do you guys recommend just propecia for now or use dutasteride at the same time?

Don't take both at the same time unless you suspect the dutas is fake. Dutas 3x a week is much stronger than taking propecia every day so it will overpower the propecia and you'd be wasting money.

G

gtorres said:

Dutasteride 3x a week is much stronger than taking propecia every day so it will overpower the propecia and you'd be wasting money.

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
gtorres said:

Hawaii male how has finpecia worked for you?

Lets just say I would be dead without it.

gtorres

Reaction score
Thanks for all the support ..!! I will post pics at 3 months to see if the finasteride and nizoral are helping. :)

gtorres

Reaction score
1 week on finasteride & nizoral

i bought the Nizoral shampoo, what does this do? it says its for Dandruff?

gtorres

Reaction score
8 months on finasteride

Well have been away for a while but i will post some pics when i get home, finasteride has really done wonders as you all will see its been about 8 months.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would say you are a NW3 at start...if you thicken up the centre and get it to creep forward a bit them you could get to NW2. Good to hear it working at 8 months as I am at 6 months and very disappointed as still losing. Several people now said 8 months so maybe that's where I need to get to...

Will be good to see your improvements..nice one.