Hair And There's Story - (29 /Updated Monthly Pics)

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I'm 29(30 in August) and have been receeding since about the age of 20. I have a relatively weak crown area as well which becomes more evident as my hair gets longer. I aim to regain a bit of my lost temple hair and thicken up the crown.

REGIME - 1.25 Fincar daily
5% Kirkland Minoxidil liquid
2% Nizoral every other day
Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo on the other days

RIGHT TEMPLE (MAY 09)
100_2222.jpg

RIGHT TEMPLE (JUNE 09)
100_2488.jpg

RIGHT TEMPLE - Distance (MAY 09)
100_2221.jpg

RIGHT TEMPLE - Distance (JUNE 09)
100_2491.jpg

LEFT TEMPLE (MAY 09)
100_2223.jpg

LEFT TEMPLE (JUNE 09)
100_2494.jpg

LEFT TEMPLE - Distance (MAY 09)
100_2220.jpg

LEFT TEMPLE - Distance (JUNE 09)
100_2495.jpg

TOP FRONT (MAY 09)
100_2224.jpg

TOP FRONT (JUNE 09)
100_2496.jpg

TOP BACK (MAY 09)
100_2226.jpg

TOP BACK (JUNE 09)
100_2498.jpg

BACK (MAY 09)
100_2225.jpg

BACK (JUNE 09)
100_2500.jpg

OLDEST PIC I HAVE WITH ME THAT SHOWS A BETTER HAIRLINE (I'm on the right:))

n626930443_1373462_7351.jpg

Reaction score
Re: G's Story - (29 /Updated Monthly Pics)

So any help and advice please guys, also what am I on the Norwood scale? Cheers

Boondock

Reaction score

Perhaps a Norwood 2? It looks like a fairly good hairline with the buzzcut, and I'm sure if you grew it out you could do plenty with it. So at the moment your hairline's in pretty good shape.

If this has been happening for quite a while, the other piece of good news is that the rate of progression is likely quite slow. This also counts strongly in your favour.

If you want to fight it, the classic recommendation would be the "big 3" - propecia, minoxidil, and nizoral shampoo. All pretty cheap, and all pretty effective (for most people). Some people get bad sides on propecia, or don't respond well to it, and look into alternatives.

Reaction score

Hi Boondock, thanks for the reply mate. I decided on the buzzcut as I understand there will be some serious shedding if I respond well to the meds, is that right? Also my hair tends to blow around a helluva lot when windy and undoes all my efforts to disguise the recession areas which really hits me hard and makes me very paranoid. I have to say the buzz cut took some guts as my ears stick out also which affects my confidence ( Oh well, lets hope it will all be worth it)

I'm in the UK so do I have to get Propecia prescribed? Also, where do I get Nizoral from and are there different strengths, if so which one should I go for? Finally, any ideas on a good supplier for minoxidyl?

Thanks.

Boondock

Reaction score

Hey mate, no worries. I'm in the UK as well, so I know a bit about getting hold of this stuff.

Right, so nizoral shampoo you should be able to get from Boots. It'll cost about a tenner, and will probably last you a couple of months.

Minoxidil you can also buy in Boots, but it's damn expensive. You're better off buying generic minoxidil (I buy Kirkland), which you should be able to find on a google search. Alternatively, you can buy authentic minoxidil online for cheaper than pharmacies if you want.

Propecia is the slightly trickier one. You will need to get it prescribed, and in its normal form it'd cost you about £30 for a montht's supply. However, there are two other options. One is to get your GP to prescribe you proscar, which is exactly the same chemical only it was marketed for prostate problems and its patent has expired. It's a larger dose (5mg), but if you cut it into quarters you're getting a propecia-type dose and you're looking at around £10-a month. If you can't get that prescribed, you can also buy online through various pharmacies without prescription, and a search on here for what people have tried will ensure you get something reliable.

You may or may not get a shed when starting treatment. Most people do, but some don't. In any case, I totally back doing a buzz cut, though, because it keeps your mind off things, and lets you know that actually going with a clean dome can be kinda cool.

Finally, you should be aware that some people do experience side effects from propecia, and research this before you try it. This isn't necessarily a reason not to take propecia, it's just something you should always be aware of when making the decision.

Reaction score
Does Nizoral come in different strengths and if so, which do I go for? I have an appointment with my GP next Monday morning at which point I will ask to be prescribed either propecia or proscar. I'm currently on benefits, will I get this prescription free does anyone know who is based in the UK? Cheers for any help guys.

Reaction score
Well, I just had my appointment with my female GP. She was actually very well informed about male pattern baldness which reassured me. Her take on it was that by looking at me, it is male pattern baldness, but she wants me to take a mandatory blood test ( Wednesday) to check for any possible thyroid problems. Following those results which take less than a week, if nothing is found, she will have no problem prescribing the propecia/proscar and minoxidil :punk: so it looks like I'm very close to starting my fight :) Also booked in for a stop smoking appointment so, for a guy coming up to his 30th year on this weird little planet, I'm on the case :) I'll update when I have the results and start the meds.

COULD SOMEONE ANSWER MY QUESTION IN THE ABOVE POST- Is there different strengths of Nizoral and if so, which one should I opt for...thanks :)

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck mate, I did the whole GP thing initially but then bought a load of generic propecia after three months as I wouldn't have been able to sustain spending £90+ every three months. That's been a godsend for me to be honest.

As for the Nizoral, there's 1 & 2% versions, obviously the 2% is better but from what I've read and seen, the differences are minimal and using the 1% will be sufficent....that's what I've been using anyway.

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but I thoroughly recommend using alpecin shampoo on the days that you don't use nizoral (you shouldn't be using this more than 3 times per week).

dazzerler

Reaction score
hey man your hair looks very similar to mine good to hear your getting on the treatment by the looks of it at your age and the rate you have gone you stand a good chance of maintaining what you got. Im having quite a bit of growth at the temples which is great and like i said my base lines exact as yours im 27. def look in the the generic minoxidil its way expensive in the chemists here in the uk i got a six months supply of kurklands (same stuff as regaine) for about less than 40 quid inc delivery on ebay. and my generic finasteride in the foam of fincar from inhousepharmarcy on the net oh and my nizoral 2 % from there so all in all it cost next to nothing the ciz is the most expensive bit
all the best bud

Reaction score
Ok well I have been on Nizoral 2% for a week (3 washes) and have already noticed my scalp is alot less shiny, even in this glorious UK sunshine we are having at the moment. I recieved 3 months worth of 5% Kirkland Min today and applied it to both temple areas and the crown massaging in at all three points and will do so again tonight. I only have to wait until my Monday appointment with my GP when I will be starting Propecia/Proscar whichever she prescribes. So, as from Monday I will officially be on the big 3 and I can really start the fight :punk: As promised, I'm going to do monthly updates with pics no matter how little difference there is. Look forward to seeing you all again soon and heres to hair being regrown :)

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
Good to hear from you mate, looking at your pics of your shaven head, I wish I had your hairline to pull that off at the minute! Mine would probably be a similar shape but more receeded I guess, making it seem a bit intimidating to do it!

Reaction score
Hey Fluff, to be honest mate the hairline looks worse in person than the photos show....especially as it gets longer. I don't regret buzzing it as I start this regime i'm on(even though the old ears stick out:)) It's easy to apply the min and I'm not paranoid about the wind blowing hair from my temples. Remember, confidence comes from within and albeit hard, if you are happier and confident people around you won't give a flying feck if you are balding/bald/receeded.

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
I suppose that is one good thing with summer and the likes in that you can buzz it down, get some colour on you and it wouldn't seem as bad than if you do it in winter and you're pale and suffering from wind stroke! ;)

Reaction score
:) Fluffy.....ok, update as stated previously, I had an appointment with my GP this morning to get the results of my blood test- the usual, just checking I had no thyroid problems and that nothing else could be attributed to my hairloss. This all went fine and then she said "Ok, so anything else I can help you with?" I'm thinking....well yeah can you now get on with prescribing the finasteride? :woot: I asked her this (albeit in a nicer way) and she said "I hesitate to do so as you have started the minoxidil...I need to see how you react to that first, speak to a dermatologist and assess the situation further!!" WTF!! I then stated that I was using Nizoral as well and she said "Why is that?" I had to explain the theory/benefits behind it and she seemed to take that on board but it's a no go on the finasteride and I'm gutted :( Someone please advise of the cheapest place to get it online baring in mind I'm in the UK. I want to give this little fight my all and not be held back by misinformed female GPs. Looking to order it asap.

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score

Hair And There said:
[...] I understand there will be some serious shedding if I respond well to the meds, is that right? [...]

Not necessarily. I've been using Proscar 1/4 for 13 years or so and there was no shedding.

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question. Basically as you already know, I've now been using the min 5% for just one week and the nizoral/alpecin for 3 weeks. I kid you not, I have loads of little blonde hairs which basically fill out both temples where my original hairline used to be. These have actually, seemingly grown and if I place my fingertips on those areas I can feel them which previously was not possible!!!! Is this normal? Am I imagining it? And what is the process if hair does regrow? Do these hairs grow longer and then shed with a pigmented hair coming through.....I need answers please so if anyone could oblige that would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

Reaction score
I'm still looking to get answers or help from my above post please people. Last night I ordered fincar. It's a 30 tablet pack, each with 5 mg per tablet so I will be dividing them into quarts at 1.25mg strength each. This therefore means , that when they arrive(within the next couple of days) I will be on the big 3 :punk: I'm hoping introducing the finasteride might accelerate things and help me maintain what I have. The vellous hairs are still there in my temple regions and I feel the left temple is responding alot better with longer vellous hairs than the right side. No massive change in my hair so far, but definitely feels in much better condition and is alot more bristley to the touch (its still a buzz cut) I'm just hoping that I respond to this stuff :)

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have something similar from time to time with small blonde hairs and also what I could call stubble but lighter if that makes sense? As in the hole where a hair should be but isn't....I don't know whether thats a good thing or not.

In an ideal world, those blonde hairs will shed and come back stronger but unfortunately it's just an individual thing as far as I'm aware...it's something anyway :)