hair transplant questions Armani Vs. Feller

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay I've been confused before but never when it had to do with a surgical procedure.

Here's the situation and I REALLY need your help.

Long story short, Armani says I need 3500-3800 grafts to fill in about a NW2-NW3 recession. Feller is quoting about 2000 grafts for the same hairline. Armani will ONLY do FUE. Feller will not do FUE for this amount of grafts, and says he will not split it up into two 1000 graft sessions. Here are my concerns:

I have very light hair, and so any redness will show through if I have a strip done in the donor area. I generally keep my hair at a grade 2 in the back which I can grow out to a grade four if necessary to try and cover the donor area.

This was what prompted me to pursue a FUE procedure with Armani, although I do feel that 3500-3800 grafts for my type of hairloss is a very large amount and I'm not sure it sounds right, even if I were going for super density I don't understand how it is justified.

Right now I am leaning toward the Strip procedure with Dr. Feller but I have a few concerns. My main question is this: How can a person go about hiding a strip scar if they don't have the option to grow their hair out passed a grade 4? I really can't have anyone know I had a hair transplant and a noticeable strip scar would be a dead giveaway.

Second question. How can Feller and Armani offer two very different density ratios and still promise a good result. Who has the better game plan?

The Armani people say a FUE can be done with a large amount of grafts and Feller says he has yet to see a FUE session with 2000 grafts or larger yield results that compare with Strip for the same amount of grafts. And I say, "Someone please give me a straight answer! It's my f*****g head here." I'm going to have to live with this and I want to make sure I make the right decision but I don't know who's giving me the best info.

Bottom line though if you choose to answer just one question. Is it possible to hide a strip scar as early as 3 weeks after the procedure? Note my hair will most likely be a 3 guard at this point in the back.

Please respond, as I have a limited time to consider feedback. I have an impending hair transplant with Feller in early March but if I get overwhelming feedback that I cannot hide the strip scar I will have to cancel that appointment and figure out a new plan of attack. I really appreciate all you guys can tell me, as always I am grateful for the wealth of advice and info I obtain from you all.

PS If anything needs to be explained further please let me know.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a pic of my hair in it's current recessed state.

Note: It looks a little diffused in this pic but it was taken about 3 weeks after starting Revita and I had a pretty bad shed. I am currently off Revita and on finasteride and it has thickened up since in the diffused areas. (All except the hairline of course which was bad in the first place.

s.a.f

Reaction score
You dont need 3800 grafts for that, bear in mind thats half your entire donor. If you then continued to lose hair you would be fucked. As for a strip scar as a virgin scalp you should be ok, but it all depends on your individual characteristics. I've seen some guys who have difficulty finding their scars but others are not so fortunate.
That amount of grafts with armani would take 3 sessions and cost an absolute fortune probably about 8/9 times the cost of 2- 2500 strip with Feller. But if you're really against strip why not insist Feller does the FUE over 2 sessions.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not completely against Strip I just need to know that I can hide the scar before I dive into it. Does anyone know of any cosmetics people have used i.e. cover up type stuff or Toppik or something like that? Even if it's a combination of things, just so long as it works.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah, alot of people use concealers post op to hide the scar.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far. I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead with Feller. S.A.F. is the Mr. Miyagi of hairloss.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should step back a bit and look into some other FUE docs out there as well. Get a few more opinions on the matter. From your tone you seem to be rushing a bit and you don't want to be unsure going into an hair transplant procedure.

Just out of curiosity, how did you narrow it down to Feller and Armani?

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I narrowed it down to Feller back in December, through consultations and patient results and the like. Although then I began to see some strip scar pics directly after the procedure and it threw me for a bit of a shock. It's funny even with all the research I'd done up till that point I decided to look into FUE a little more. It looked like the only one who would do FUE for that amount of grafts was Armani and I liked some of the hairline work he did. The problem was he severely over estimated the amount of grafts I needed in my opinion. And the process seemed a little questionable to me. I found myself negotiating graft prices like I was buying a car. How the hell does that work? First you start off at price X and then you go to price Y. It's a damned surgical procedure, either it's one price or it's not.

The bottom line was through all the consultations I went for Feller was the most straight forward and realistic.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
I think if you don't want to have a strip scar, you should consider other FUE docs perhaps. Docs are using smaller punches now with good success, and Feller doesn't really prefer to do FUE sessions, as he has openly stated. Also, I think he uses larger punches, like .9, as opposed to .75, which could potentially make a difference in your donor, not only in terms of scarring, but also in terms of doing damage to adjacent follicles. I have no idea what size punches Armani uses, and that's an issue too because he's so secretive about it all. A few docs like Harris, ********, and Wolf are using smaller punches and doing regular FUE sessions with solid results. Not sure where you are located though. Anyway, something to consider. If you are going for FUE, I would go to a Doctor who does it on a more regular basis. I don't think Feller really likes to do FUE..his posts on the subject have been lukewarm at best. Personal opinion of course.

Also, you have a difficult situation because if you were a little thinner, you could go for a really large strip session, which is probably always a good idea to get a nice 5k+ graft session with a thin strip scar first,that way you are getting the most bang for your buck, and might not need another session. If you get a smaller strip session, you might have to get another one later, which increases the chances of a wider scar. I like the fue option for smaller cases as long as the donor doesn't result in white dot scarring, because then you can never buzz it down too far if you want to just buzz it and be done with it. The strip option limits your future styling options also, which is something to consider. As as we know, thinning can often look better when it's buzzed down. So if you do FUE with the right Doctor, you still maintain the option to buzz it pretty low. And if you are going to go with strip, I wouldn't fool around- I would go to h&W w/out hesitation. They are the gold standard as far as I'm concerned- large sessions, and a clinic that is set up to produce consistent result after consistent result. Not that the other clinics are bad, but why fool around? Shapiro is also right there w/ H&W as far as solid work. Armani doesn't do strip anymore so that's out. Besides, Armani has a rep for being on the aggressive side. Not that Feller is bad, but I've just seen too many great H&W jobs out there.

Now, on the question of FuE: I live in the states and if I were going to get hair transplant for the first time and wanted FUE, I'd probably fly to Brussels and see ********. It may sound crazy, but he was trained by Cole, has Cole-esque hairlines, and uses small punches. His pre-op, intra-op, and post op photos are out there on other forums in high res and you should take a look first before you decide to pull the trigger. And ask some of these consultants too what they thing of him. Guys like Gillenator, B-Spot,and Hairtech who have been in the business for a long time and know what they are talking about. I have a bias because I met ******** in person and really liked his attitude, and I've seen a lot of his work online and really like what he's doing. Just saying it's worth a thought. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

s.a.f

Reaction score
DaveOne said:
I think if you don't want to have a strip scar, you should consider other FUE docs perhaps. Docs are using smaller punches now with good success, and Feller doesn't really prefer to do FUE sessions, as he has openly stated. Also, I think he uses larger punches, like .9, as opposed to .75, which could potentially make a difference in your donor, not only in terms of scarring, but also in terms of doing damage to adjacent follicles. I have no idea what size punches Armani uses, and that's an issue too because he's so secretive about it all. A few docs like Harris, ********, and Wolf are using smaller punches and doing regular FUE sessions with solid results. Not sure where you are located though. Anyway, something to consider. If you are going for FUE, I would go to a Doctor who does it on a more regular basis. I don't think Feller really likes to do FUE..his posts on the subject have been lukewarm at best. Personal opinion of course.

Feller has done literally 1000's of FUE sessions and uses the smaller .75 punches. He probably does just as many (if not more) FUE procedures than strip these days.He's just more realistic about using strip for bigger sessions.
I dont know where your info is coming from? :roll:
I'm sure that Spex could answer any questions you have on Fellers FUE ability since he had his procedure done with Feller 5yrs ago.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Last I heard He wasn't using .75 punches. I guess he made the switch to the smaller punch then?

G

Hi guys,

Hope all is well!

Feller does perform many FUE sessions on a daily basis - i do not know the details of your particular case Personguy so i can not comment on why Dr feller has favoured strip over FUE for YOUR personal requirements. Feller is one of the very best FUE docs out there today and the most experienced and is well known for telling it how it is with no frills. He only wants whats BEST for the patient LONG TERM, not short term. He performed a 1500+ FUE session on a UK guy only on Friday (one of many) He performs them on a very regular basis as i mentioned and often hits high numbers daily due to increased staff size. FUE is unpredictable though and just because one patient obtained 1500+ in a day doesn't mean everyone can.. especially not safely. We are all different WITH DIFFERNT long term requirements and this is something Feller is well aware of. Remember FUE is not access to a bottomless pit of donor supply... you will run out :( Donor management is a vital part of any patients planning.

He uses a variety of extraction tools varying in size from .75 - .9 - These are his own tools also which many other FUE clinics use to my knowledge. He also teaches many Doctor's how to perform FUE. Its all wall and good being taught it thought - performing it correctly requires a skill like no other hence why only very few clinics have the success he has with it.

Personguy - Its hard for people to comment accurately regarding your personal situ and why Feller recommended Strip for you - Only Feller can - There is obviously good reason though as he perfoms FUE very regularly - It would do you good to possibly organise another consult direct with the Doctor - to discuss YOUR concerns but as mentioned before Feller doesn't do it with frills or smoke and mirrors - he tells patients how it is and he more than likely feels that due to his vast experience with FUE that you do not appear a good candidate for it long term. If he wanted to just make money off you he could easily have you in the chair , along with many others.... but you need to understand that he must feel that you personally are not suitable. MANY clinic would have you in the chair and swipe that credit card before you could touch your toes - these clinics are well known for telling YOU what YOU want to hear - rather than what you really need to hear. ;-)
Feller has a great deal of experience with both FUE and strip as i am sure many know here, even his critics, but one thing he prides himself on is honesty and offering the patient the session that is best for them..not him. Trying to dictate your own surgery isn't often advisable, just because patients feel one type of surgery is better for them isn't necessarily the case.

EVERYONE wants FUE but some are just not FUE candidates unfortunately. Every email i get from guys looking into hair transplant's say "I feel i am better suited to FUE" - How they know this, i don't know.... They would ALL prefer it - but are they better suited to it...??

See below a recent FUE Feller discussion/post with Falceros to help gain further info on it and his thoughts.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/fo ... 3701081643

also this topic on FUE by Dr Feller.

http://www.regrowshair.com/hair-transpla ... ns-of-fue/

Also see a few recent FUE patients - Hopefully these can help you with info to discuss with the Doctor in person.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=75297

gasman - - http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... SGDBTABLE=

hairroot-- http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... SGDBTABLE=

Hope this info helps! - Take some of it with you to Dr Feller and discuss your concerns direct with him as he is the Doctor who will be able to explain why, for you. Also email me direct if i can help cast any further light on your situ mate !
Regards
Spex

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Both Doctor's got great skills, but when it comes to ethic, Feller won by far, no offsense to Armani fans.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IMO Feller doesn't split surgeries over 2 days for financial reasons i.e. he wants a new customer in the chair every day & earns more money that way.

You shouldn't make this choice out of a sense of coercion. Decide whether you want strip or FUE and then find a doctor who will give you what you want. If you want strip, fine, go with Feller, but if not look at Armani, or other doctors.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
global said:
IMO Feller doesn't split surgeries over 2 days for financial reasons i.e. he wants a new customer in the chair every day & earns more money that way.

Yea that makes a lot of sense, not !

1K FUE is $10,000 with Feller while 2K strip is $8500. He would also have another $10K surgery booked for the next day.

Believe it or not this guy has the patients best intention in mind.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
Long story short, Armani says I need 3500-3800 grafts to fill in about a NW2-NW3 recession. Feller is quoting about 2000 grafts for the same hairline.

This was what prompted me to pursue a FUE procedure with Armani, although I do feel that 3500-3800 grafts for my type of hairloss is a very large amount and I'm not sure it sounds right, even if I were going for super density I don't understand how it is justified.

The Armani people say a FUE can be done with a large amount of grafts and Feller says he has yet to see a FUE session with 2000 grafts or larger yield results that compare with Strip for the same amount of grafts. And I say, "Someone please give me a straight answer!

IMO opinion Armani's graft quotes have gone up considerably since he switched to FUE. I would guess he quotes at least 50% more grafts now to make up for the FUE which won't grow in his mega sessions.

Here are two Armani patients with before and 6 month shots. The first has 3200 strip and the second had 3K FUE. The strip patient's hair loss was MUCH worse than the FUE patients but yet he only got 200 more grafts. I would guess the strip patient would be quoted 5K FUE minimum.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/ga ... llery1.cfm

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/ga ... lery14.cfm

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/ga ... lery24.cfm

s.a.f

Reaction score
HT55 said:
global said:

Yea that makes a lot of sense, not !

1K FUE is $10,000 with Feller while 2K strip is $8500. He would also have another $10K surgery booked for the next day.

Believe it or not this guy has the patients best intention in mind.

Anyone who's had surgery with Feller will know that he's not in it purely to get rich (unlike Armani) Fellers prices are probably the cheapest of all the top docs and he is'nt ever short of custom.
He could probably easily increase prices by 10 or 20% without losing trade. And ask any of his patients if you go to him you always get some free grafts (ie if you get 3130 from your strip he'll only charge for the 3000).
The guy makes a decent enough living out of it and besides that he's a intelligent guy (he owns several patents) and I'm pretty sure he has money coming in from other investments and non hair transplant related schemes.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
PersonGuy said:
Long story short, Armani says I need 3500-3800 grafts to fill in about a NW2-NW3 recession. Feller is quoting about 2000 grafts for the same hairline.

The Armani people say a FUE can be done with a large amount of grafts and Feller says he has yet to see a FUE session with 2000 grafts or larger yield results that compare with Strip for the same amount of grafts. And I say, "Someone please give me a straight answer!

IMO opinion Armani's graft quotes have gone up considerably since he switched to FUE. I would guess he quotes at least 50% more grafts now to make up for the FUE which won't grow in his mega sessions.

Here are two Armani patients with before and 6 month shots. The first has 3200 strip and the second had 3K FUE. The strip patient's hair loss was MUCH worse than the FUE patients but yet he only got 200 more grafts. I would guess the strip patient would be quoted 5K FUE minimum.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/ga ... lery14.cfm

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/ga ... lery24.cfm

This post is very telling of the differences between FUE and Strip and only confirms what Feller had been saying all along. Simply that strip yields better overall results as far as grafts survival is concerned and so other docs have to compensate by taking double the amount of grafts. Had FUE been performed on the above strip patient it prob would have taken at least 6000 grafts. And most likely made his donor area more difficult to work with in the future.

To me this is proof of Dr. Feller being tremendously honest once again with regard to FUE and strip and the differences between both. No doubt for me anymore that Feller is the more ethical Doctor.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Armani told me I needed 3500 with a FUSS. Do I think he gave me 3500? Honestly, not really. But that's what he said he gave me.

I'm glad to hear he's not doing FUSS anymore, it's a shitty procedure, I wish I had the money to afford a FUE back then. I had to go back to work and turned my head a lot (truck driver at the time) so the staples ended up killing some hair follicles. Hurt too, and the shock loss was bad, took more than 3-4 months to fill in, that's for sure. More like I had two big bald patches for 2 months and then slowly filled in over the course of 8 months+. I will have to get a FUE to thicken that up where the staples killed some follicles, and I will need another surgery with less grafts to make my hairline look solid.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Feller is the Doctor to go with!