Hair Transplant Related Questions And Pictures

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Here is my hair:
http://imgur.com/a/aDowT

I am considered NW2 by my dermatologist. I am interested in filling in my temples, but have a few issues:

1. I am not on any medication, but my hair loss seems very slow, if it is even active at all. How problematic would this be in the context of getting a transplant? I have medical reasons that make using finasteride unwise, minoxidil I don't consider great in my case either, but I would hop on it right away if my crown started thinning.

2. How many grafts would I likely need to lower the hairline a little bit and fill in the corners, all with ideal density?

3. 5-6 months from now, ideally, I'd be in a position where I no longer looked off(red/shaven/whatever), just like I do now, hair wise, say I got a transplant 2.5 months from now, is that viable? How long does redness typically persist, and can I camouflage it somewhat? What's the likelihood of shock loss ruining that plan?

4. Do you think I am a good candidate for a transplant?

5. Ideally, I'd do one in Europe, but I'm very willing to travel across the globe to go to the best. I really like Hasson and Wong's results. Any recommendations for top docs in general, particularly in Europe?

6. Both my dad and maternal granddad are NW3's, my dad was NW2(similar to me now) at age 45. I am only 24, but seem to have maintained my current hairline for the last 3 years. Is it highly likely that I'll be able to make a decade after this transplant without needing any revision? I'm quite optimistic if I can make 10 years some superior treatment will be out. I also intend to get use histogen's product after getting a hair transplant.

7. For anyone who keeps an eye on the new research/tech section: How likely is it that Histogen's product would make me go down a norwood, in your opinion, would it be foolish to bank on that?

8. Does the use of other cosmetic procedures (under general anesthesia) increase the risk of shock loss?

9. I need to wean off thyroid medication, any predictions regarding the risk of telegon effluvium with that? Would it be very foolish to get a transplant before having completed that?

Thanks!

-CV

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think you are too early in your hairloss for hair transplant. You have, literally, a ton of hair. I am not sure hair transplant would do you much good right now.

There is zero need for a transplant here.

I realize my hair is not in a bad place, but I would think I'm somewhat of an ideal transplant candidate: no aggressive baldness, no crown thinning, no obvious miniaturization past the hairline, just a bit of solid recession that could be filled in with a transplant.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have the money, time and desire to get a hair transplant on a NW1.5 go get er done lol.

No way in hell I'd be spending any time or money on hair like that.

But if you're insecure for whatever reason, all the power to ya.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I realize my hair is not in a bad place, but I would think I'm somewhat of an ideal transplant candidate: no aggressive baldness, no crown thinning, no obvious miniaturization past the hairline, just a bit of solid recession that could be filled in with a transplant.

ohhhh man... this is EXACTLY what I thought too. Let me guess, early thirties? You don't know how aggressive your baldness is, until it becomes aggressive. Get an hair transplant, and you will see how aggressive it will be, because chances are you will get telogen effluvium from the procedure. I didn't even realize I had male pattern baldness. I looked exactly like you, and two years later? I have horrible diffused thinning around a patch of thick transplants. I am NOT trying to scare you, but you need to be ONE HUNDRED percent sure you either a) don't have ANY male pattern baldness AT ALL or b) have sustained for years on medication before you even CONSIDER an hair transplant.

PLEASE think this through. you DO NOT want to end up like me. I wouldn't wish my situation on my worst enemy (my actual hair transplant surgeon excluded).

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
ohhhh man... this is EXACTLY what I thought too. Let me guess, early thirties? You don't know how aggressive your baldness is, until it becomes aggressive. Get an hair transplant, and you will see how aggressive it will be, because chances are you will get telogen effluvium from the procedure. I didn't even realize I had male pattern baldness. I looked exactly like you, and two years later? I have horrible diffused thinning around a patch of thick transplants. I am NOT trying to scare you, but you need to be ONE HUNDRED percent sure you either a) don't have ANY male pattern baldness AT ALL or b) have sustained for years on medication before you even CONSIDER an hair transplant.

PLEASE think this through. you DO NOT want to end up like me. I wouldn't wish my situation on my worst enemy (my actual hair transplant surgeon excluded).

Thanks for sharing!

I hope you're at least maintaining on meth these days.

Joking aside, I'll definitely consider a bit more. The telegon effluvium "shock loss" thing definitely concerns me.

What was the hair of your dad and maternal granddad like?

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
A frontal photo would be more telling , I take pics from the side and I'm like hey I don't even have hair loss.. then look front on again and remember I do...

shookwun

Reaction score
A transplant for what?

hair is fine

dr. cole

Reaction score
These are all good points. You seem to have fine hair. You might do well with 200 grafts each side, but why to bother. Your loss is minimal, and you can wait. I love the points made by buckthorn. Could it be that hair transplants accelerate hair loss? I certainly think this is possible in some. When you have hair loss, you have to accept this risk, but with your present situation, I'm not convinced that hair transplants make sense. I most certainly would avoid strip harvesting at this point. I would also be hesitant to engage in any form of hair restoration. Hold off. To me, you are developing a mature hairline and nothing more. Your fine hair makes it all look worse than it is, but it's fine. Men with hair loss will be envious, and girls will love your hair. I wish all people could be as lucky as you to have such luxurious soft hair in all the right places.

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
A transplant for what?

hair is fine

Well, it's not ideal. Excessive upper third height in the context of my not optimally developed mandible throws my harmony off a little. Morphs lowering the hairline improve facial aesthetics. But I see the point, it may be adequate. Hope it at least stays like this until Tsuji will give me that slick NW0 with sea otter density.

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
These are all good points. You seem to have fine hair. You might do well with 200 grafts each side, but why to bother. Your loss is minimal, and you can wait. I love the points made by buckthorn. Could it be that hair transplants accelerate hair loss? I certainly think this is possible in some. When you have hair loss, you have to accept this risk, but with your present situation, I'm not convinced that hair transplants make sense. I most certainly would avoid strip harvesting at this point. I would also be hesitant to engage in any form of hair restoration. Hold off. To me, you are developing a mature hairline and nothing more. Your fine hair makes it all look worse than it is, but it's fine. Men with hair loss will be envious, and girls will love your hair. I wish all people could be as lucky as you to have such luxurious soft hair in all the right places.

200 grafts on each side? That's much lower than I had thought. I considered I'd need at least 2000 to achieve my goals. Thank you for sharing your perspective though. The possibility of the transplant triggering telogen effluvium, especially given I'm in a medical situation that increases risk for that anyway, makes me more inclined to just accept my hair as it is for now.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Look, you can do whatever you want and I bet you can find someone to take your money, but everyone here is giving you very good advice.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Erdogan would probably quote you 3200 grafts

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
http://imgur.com/a/rKub4

More pics.

I'd like some additional input, I am really quite unsatisfied with how my current hairline combines with my facial skeleton/shape. I don't have the face for baldness, while I am not overly low in overall dimorphism, something about my asymmetrical mandible makes me particularly un-equipped aesthetically to deal with hair loss(based on morphs).