Has anyone tried changing lifestyles and getting healthy?

redskins1111

Reaction score
I'm just curious. I seem to read a whole lot of stuff outside this messageboard on the internet about being healthy, eating certain healthy foods, and maintaining that healthy lifestyle to regrow hair. I tried the Propecia and Rogaine thing for a few months and decided to give up because I didn't feel like dealing with any of these nasty potential side effects I've read about. Has anyone who used to lead a lazy and unhealthy lifestyle make the 180 without regrowing any hair? I am just asking because I've had a horrible lifestyle since my hair's been thinning. I smoke cigarettes, marijuana, occasionally do other drugs, I drink alcohol and eat extremely unhealthy.. usually never anything good. I don't exercise either. Anyways like I said before. I'm wondering if anyone has actually turned their life around with no benefit to their hair?

Hoppi

Reaction score
I'm trying to correct my gut flora and cleanse my digestive system :) I think digestive health is a HUGE player in hormonal disorders among many other things.

At the moment I'm focusing on colloidal silver and digestive enzymes, but about a week ago I got a colonic lol ... eep! xD

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Michael Jordan, Kelly Slater (best surfer), Magic Johnson, Andre Agasi, Peyton Manning, All healthy, All Bald.

waldo

Reaction score
i didnt do that 180° turn, but i always lived as healthy as you possibly can. no smoking, very moderate drinking (~5 beers a month at max), daily cardio, fiber rich & protein rich foods, only complex carbs and high quality fats, no processed foods, lots of fruit and vegetables, lots of water, lots of natural sun...

yet i am balding quite rapidly and have been for the last 5-6 years (nw3-4 atm)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Again, the background biology isn't necessarily the same for everyone :)

Additionally many people who look healthy can still have a hormonal imbalance for some reason. I still very much believe Candida/dysbiosis is a huge part of it for many.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day it's all about the hormones. At least that's what the current science says.

Lifestyle does have an effect on our hormonal levels.

Lifestyle won't save your hair, but exercise can burn some of the DHT and the nutrients in your blood stream can feed the hair follicles more efficiently. So, it can slow down hairloss.

Lifestyle hasn't been proven to completely prevent hairloss, but some studies suggest it may have an effect.

I personally believe lifestyle has an effect. Last year I was under physical stress, I used to get up at 6am every morning, do 3 night shifts a month, etc. I was getting burned out and my hair also suffered. My hair strands were thinner. This year, my hair is thicker, I'm not saying I have more hair follicles, it's just that what I have is healthier.

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day its all about genetics, nothing more, nothing less.

DHT + inherited sensitive follicles = male pattern baldness.
DHT + non sensitive follicles = lucky bastard, healthy or not.

Seriously, the sooner you "healthy" guys get past the denial stage of grief, the quicker you can slow/stop your hair loss. If you want to blame something, blame your parents.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
keepinthehair said:
At the end of the day its all about genetics, nothing more, nothing less.

DHT + inherited sensitive follicles = male pattern baldness.
DHT + non sensitive follicles = lucky bastard, healthy or not.

Seriously, the sooner you "healthy" guys get past the denial stage of grief, the quicker you can slow/stop your hair loss. If you want to blame something, blame your parents.

Actually, my parents have beautiful hair. My uncles went bald in their 40s-50s. On the other hand, one of my cousins is going bald in his 20s, and I had a mature hairline in my 20s and I'm Norwood in my 30s.

I do not argue that it's not genetics, but the mechanics of it boil down to the hormones and how they affect the follicles.

If my uncles went bald in their 40s, then how come we are going bald in our 20s and 30s???

Lifestyle affects our hormones.

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Testosterone = Testosterone
DHT = DHT for modern man or cave man.

There are several loci or genes now identified on different chromosomes (I believe up to 6-7) that indicate future baldness. Baldness is a dominant trait, therefore it only takes one gene for male pattern baldness and it will eventually show up. Just my perspective, but a person inheriting a greater number of genes for male pattern baldness from various family members will result in a higher level Norwood. The males, grandfathers, great uncles, uncles and father on both sides of my family vary greatly. I have two other brothers and we are all different.

The X chromosome has been studied and mapped for male pattern baldness, google it.
For example, you have inherited one X chromosome from your mother. She has inherited two. One is from her father and the other from her mother. Your maternal grandmother also carries two X chromosomes and so forth. So, you may end up like maternal grandfather, or maternal greatgrandfather, maternal great great grandfather. That is just two generatins of X chromosomes from one loci (gene). My background for like 4 generations is entirely from Anglo Saxon, I dont stand a chance to beat the odds.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I still believe the reason lifestyle affects our hormones and basically I believe has the potential in many to entirely make or break male pattern baldness is because the liver and our digestive tract becomes toxic as it reaches it's maximum capacity for removing toxins. I no longer believe that the liver in this case usually becomes DAMAGED (as if this were true why do so many homeless alcoholics have great hair?) but simply that through many factors usually associated with overeating bad food (that is - dysbiosis, leaky gut, candida, body fat, mucus, intestinal build-up, etc) the liver reaches maximum capacity for dealing with toxins and/or cannot dump anymore into your digestive tract for removal. Then, it cannot regulate your hormones properly, your androgens fall out of balance, and your hair starts reacting to the disrupted androgenic balance.

This model is actually spectacularly simple and logical. It does not explain male pattern baldness for everyone as I believe different people's hair follicles have different androgenic "thresholds" dictated by their genes. However, I believe that through digestive cleansing and balance, many could correct male pattern baldness.

At present my focus is on colloidal silver (to gradually but efficiently correct dysbiosis and candida) and enzymes (to gradually but efficiently cleanse the intestines :) ). Other things like colonics, vitamin D, pectin, malic acid, probiotics, etc, may also be useful but are probably not essential for most people. I have heard a case of someone with very probable gallstones having male pattern baldness, so I would personally be suspicious of that too as of course anything that hinders the liver's ability to detox (which it does through bile) is a potential factor.

Simple and easy, as far as I can tell :)

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
At present my focus is on colloidal silver

Be careful with that colloidal silver. Too much of it and you could turn blue :shock:

bluemanj.jpg

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/22536241/ ... kin-color/

Hoppi

Reaction score
balder said:
Hoppi said:

Be careful with that colloidal silver. Too much of it and you could turn blue :shock:

haha yeah too true man :)

That was actually why I was recently leaning towards alternatives for killing bad stuff in my system, like oregano.and grapefruit seed extract. However... I think silver is a bit special. It seems to truly kill everything - bacteria, viruses, parasite eggs, and it's also a great healer I believe. Additionally, I believe/hear that these things don't develop immunity or resistance to silver, as they might with oregano or GSE.

I think that as long as colloidal silver is consumed within sensible limits (220ml a day of 10-15ppm CS seems to be a reasonable maximum amount) and is ideally a good quality (low-ish particle size, high purity rods, distilled water, that kind of thing) it should be ok. Additionally, one can apparently supplement with things like selenium (and I think vitamin E) which is supposed to help maintain good selenium levels in the presence of silver and aid with it's chelation. I tend to try to get more brazil nuts in my diet when I'm taking CS :)

I have heard countless positive and quite often amazing stories about CS. In my own experience so far, I believe I felt a very good die-off reaction when I first took it (ran to the loo xD and digestive system seemed a bit healthier afterwards) and I think I noticed generally a calmer digestive system while I was on it. Less bloating and gas and discomfort. As soon as I came off it, those feelings returned. Hopefully long term controlled use will slowly correct my probable dysbiosis (Candida or otherwise) and probably even encourage my gut wall to heal :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Cassin said:
balder said:
Hoppi said:

Man...with all due respect....you're batshit insane.

Actually, my interest in it was renewed when a VERY hairy 50 year old hippy said he and his wife took glasses a day of tap water grade CS and said he never felt better than when he was taking it (similar I guess to me saying it made me feel good, but I only took it for a matter of weeks at a time). They actually didn't know what argyria was and were a little shocked when I told them, but of course neither of them had a hint of blue on them that I could see despite those years of fairly heavy fairly poor quality CS use. I think the argyria thing is considerably overblown. It may even be exaggerated by FDA scaremongering, but that's a conspiracy theory ofc and therefore largely irrelevant to my point! :)

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
The liver has nothing to do with hair loss. It is the only organ humans have that can regenerate itself, up to 90%. Take home message, drink up my friends.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course. I eat healthy for other reasons. I haven't had a "sweet" food since 2009. My shedding however has become noticeable.

Eating healthy is a nice addition but it's not going to stop hair loss.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Additionally many people who look healthy can still have a hormonal imbalance for some reason.

why are u so determined to think male pattern baldness is caused by a imbalance, or abnormality, or toxic effect.

for 99% of us , its a perfectly natural, normal biological process. That happens to not fit in with our social beliefs. and aesthetics.

i used to think there was something wrong with me to, and spent years trying to find it, but sooner or later youll have to conclude that its not due to a imbalance, or toxin, its just the way it is.

maybe its from cross breeding different cultures, and in the future we will all evolve into identical hairless aliens with a blend of all languages !
(im joking, its from a southpark episode)

And by the way, what a dumb question to ask 'has anyone tried getting healthy?'

i would say millions have tried that. probably everyone here has tried that.

Hoppi

Reaction score
keepinthehair said:
The liver has nothing to do with hair loss. It is the only organ humans have that can regenerate itself, up to 90%. Take home message, drink up my friends.

yeah exactly - that's why I no longer believe it's usually liver DAMAGE that does it, but instead the liver either reaching it's limit in terms of toxin removal (due to leaky gut or candida or a very toxic environment, etc), or being unable to properly dump it's toxins into the intestines due to fat, stones, toxic intestinal tract, etc.

Just my view that's all, and of course I believe it's only one possible path to male pattern baldness (albeit a very common one IMO). Other reasons for some I think are genetically VERY sensitive follicles, and use of androgen containing or stimulating foods/supplements/medicines, for example. I also am suspicious of the prostate and dairy, as dairy contains estrogens which seem to be able to enlarge the prostate, and the prostate is packed with DHT. But I'm not so sure about that one atm :)