Has anyone used the following herbs?

docj077

Reaction score
So, basically this herb inhibits hypoxia-induced angiogenesis. However, the death of hair follicles is not due to hypoxia, but due to a lack of follicular cell proliferation. If there is a doubt about this, then what is needed is something like minoxidil, but it needs to be a herb or drug that won't make the hair follicles dependent upon exposure to it.

docj077

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post another interesting find. A different site put this together and it makes sense. It's different drugs or herbs that block each step in hair loss.

DHT inhibition- Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Rivoflavin, Green Tea Extract, Copper, Peptides, and Topical Bayberry Extract.

PKC down regulation - Grape Seed Extract, Resveratrol, Vitamin E, Soy Isoflavones.

TNF-a down regulation- Curcumin, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Stinging Nettle Extract, Green Tea Extract, Fish Oil, Borage Oil, Perilla Oil, and Topical Perilla leaf extract.

TGF down regulation- Curcumin, and topical Amacha.

I would think that using one herb or drug from each category would cover every known pathway of hair loss. It would allow for a complete treatment.

However, I'm not sure if every herb or drug listed is as efficient as one might desire.

CCS

Reaction score
excellent work!

so do we know for sure that the curcumin will not prevent bloodvessels from rise up to meet the new follicle at the beginning of anagen on the scalp?

docj077

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
excellent work!

so do we know for sure that the curcumin will not prevent bloodvessels from rise up to meet the new follicle at the beginning of anagen on the scalp?

I have to be honest. I have no idea. I've been looking and I can't find any information about the scalp or even any information about curcumin inhibiting angiogenesis around hair follicles. I really don't know.

I bought some curcumin today in the form of turmeric. The color of the herb will probably prevent anyone from using this as a topical during the day. I'm pretty sure you'd have to use this one at night.

CCS

Reaction score
it also is in GTE. I don't know the difference in concentration, or if the curcumin itself is yellow. I just can't imagine GTE hurting hair, when I know many people on here have experimented with it.

my apple poly arrived. They sent me some beta sis sterol with it for free. I put a capsule of apple poly in my minoxidil. I also have grapeseed extract in there, with grape skin extract, and 2g of borage seed oil.

It is important not to make the minoxidil precipitate out of solution, since it is close to its saturation point. so long as the stuff I'm adding is more soluble in the other parts of the mixture, it is OK. GSE is very soluble in ethanol, apply poly in water, and minoxidil in PPG. I guess the borage oil is soluble in PPG, but it can also help dissolve the minoxidil, so it should all stay in solution just fine.

If I added a lot of fat soluble powder to the mix, the minoxidil might crystallize out and fall to the bottom.

docj077

Reaction score
Just a little extra addition. Apparently, people with prostate cancer in England have been known to use curcumin to cure the gynocomastia that often comes along with the prostate cancer drugs.

I figure that it will probably also help people who have developed gyno while on Propecia or Avodart.

EDIT: Also, I really don't know a whole lot about mixing compounds together to make heterogenous or homogenous solutions/mixtures. Sorry, but I won't be much help there.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
interesting thread. bump.

CCS why did you come to the conclusion that essential oils don't work?

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Just thought I'd post another interesting find. A different site put this together and it makes sense. It's different drugs or herbs that block each step in hair loss.

DHT inhibition- Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Rivoflavin, Green Tea Extract, Copper, Peptides, and Topical Bayberry Extract.

PKC down regulation - Grape Seed Extract, Resveratrol, Vitamin E, Soy Isoflavones.

TNF-a down regulation- Curcumin, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Stinging Nettle Extract, Green Tea Extract, Fish Oil, Borage Oil, Perilla Oil, and Topical Perilla leaf extract.

TGF down regulation- Curcumin, and topical Amacha.

I would think that using one herb or drug from each category would cover every known pathway of hair loss. It would allow for a complete treatment.

However, I'm not sure if every herb or drug listed is as efficient as one might desire.

I'm coincidentally taking at least one from each step in hair loss except TGF down regulation. I don't know too much about curcumin. What's the word on that? I don't know if the list is 100% accurate b/c GTE by itself raises DHT levels unless combined w/ soy.