Here's Where I Am At 50. Am I A hair transplant Repair Candidate?

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
You could rock the bald look really well in my opinion. You have great skin too! I would say you're in your late 30's if I didn't know you're 50.
You could try derma-rolling and Vitamin C to reduce the scar, it's not going to disappear completely but it can improve.

Here's a very detailed explanation of what I'm talking about.
http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

Also I think you should email your pictures to Hasson and Wong. They give their opinions for free, just make sure to follow their guidelines when you take the pictures.

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers sunchyme1,
Thanks for your input. I agree that just having thick sides and back with a scraggily top of hairs would look bad. Like a comb over! :eek: I think even if I cut my hair really short it would still look disproportionate between the top and the back and sides. If I buzzed it right down, well, I may as well just shave it then and be done with it.
Thanks for the tips regarding the dermaroller too Folliman! I'll look into this and thanks for the link. At this stage I'm still meeting with a couple of hair transplant surgeons but I'm now more inclined to look at having FUE into the back scars (maybe even excise the larger back scar like I did with the one above it) and see if I can do something to improve the front scar. I actually do like the look with the wig I'm just so over the hassle of it. Anyway I'll keep everyone updated and stay strong guys! :)
Cheers,
Oncall.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey sunchyme1,
I know you are right. This might sound weird (or sick but I hope not) but I have actually thought of going to a burn's victim ward just to remind myself to be 'grateful for everything I do have in life beyond hair loss (my health, friends, my job, etc, etc) I know where you are coming from and you are 100% correct. There's also an English actor named Tommy Flanagan who had his face glassed really bad in a pub. He's in 'Braveheart' and the English Lord had the right to shag his wife on his wedding night early in the film and he's also in 'Gladiator' as Cicero who plays Maximus' helper. I know I do need to try and change my attitude and accept the scar. I am fully aware that it's only a big deal to me and no one else. I used to identify with my hair as I always had long, curly hair when I was younger (up until about 23) that the chicks always commented on. Back then you really only had Bruce Willis in Pulp fiction that looked good shaven. Now you need a suit to shave your head. Lol.
When I see the two Doctors next week I'll check out if there is anything that can be done to just improve the hairline scar. It's been over ten years since I've looked into it. Again thanks for the heads up and the reality check man!
Kind regards,
Oncall.

man i looked up that guy you mentioned tommy flanagan. thats so fucked up what happened to him. f*****g little shits gave him a 'Glasgow smile' when he was coming home after djing in a pub in scotland. bastards

but to be fair to him, he used it to his advantage. he decided to become an actor after that. good for him. im not sure i could have done that. he seems to be living a great life now. guys like him should definitely give you inspiration to accept and embrace your scar man. if he can do it, anyone can.

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep Tommy Flanagan has guts alright. I don't know if the glassing happened before or after he started as an actor. I just know how it occurred listening to Ridley Scott commentating on him in the director's cut of Gladiator.

This morning I received an email reply from a marketer for Hasson and Wong after sending them the pics I have put up on here. He has stated that they feel I am likely a good candidate for hair restoration and believe I need something around the 4,000 graft range. However going on my photos alone will not be enough to assess my case which I understand. I have to send better pics and additional photo's of my donor area to reveal more of my donor scar area. Also they want video's of me showing my laxity of my scalp.

They state, assuming I have good laxity (which I don't believe I have) and density (which I think I may have) that they should be able to cover most of the hairline scar on the left, but not the right (their words and I'm assuming by styling the hair to come forward??). Also I should get 'some' decent mid scalp coverage. My donor hair would have to be 'exceptional' to get much, if any crown coverage.

My first response to this is not about me but to all the young guys out there, most importantly those around 18 - late 20's. Learn from my mistakes not yours, for f***'s sake! You do not want to be making decisions like this still at the age of 50!!! You only have one chance to get it right and that means stick with the meds (if they agree with you) and stay on them! Do not start carving up your scalp with a hair transplant until the very last stages of trying everything! There is no way at 18 I would have considered being seen wearing a wig for dead! At 25 Dr Richard Shiells (now retired), Australia's best surgeon when all we had were still punch grafts and mini grafts (same thing really) said to me if I gave him a million dollars he would not touch my scalp (this is pre FUE/FUT). I have so much respect for his honesty. He recommended that I see a person he knew about hair pieces. For some reason the idea seemed ok at 25. I even had a 'wig party' with my friends the night after I had it fitted!:p:D Anyway I'm digressing but my point is that you may be shitting yourself now about seeing yourself bald in years to come but your thinking DOES AND WILL CHANGE about worrying about 'will I go bald or not? You just can't see it let alone believe it even if you could see it when you are that young. Coming from me that's a huge call!

So getting back to Hasson and Wong. I know myself pretty well and I'm pretty hard on myself. I can imagine after flying over there all the way from Melbourne, having shelled out more than $15,000 (and more with flights, etc) plus all the post op down time, then the 12 months of a shaved head waiting game to see the outcome which I don't think will be enough. Their is no way that they could fill in all the crown. And having half a head of hair would look sh*t to me (even at age 50). I would also have to go back to being self conscious of hiding the scar with what little hair that I have. Look, it may not be that bad but the problem is that I won't know until after I've gone through it all and once again putting my life on hold (mentally) for another year!:rolleyes:
Like I said I will go through with sending them more visual information and demand to look at comparison patients like myself to get an idea on what results I could expect. But having just received the email today, my immediate gut feeling is not one of excitement (which it should be) and also of finally putting this thing to bed. My main wish is for others young enough and virgin scalped to learn from this too. Wishing everyone well.

Kind regards,

Oncall.

Last edited:

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just a short update. A few days ago I chatted on the phone with Joe Tillman (The Hair Transplant Mentor) about my situation who gave me a lot of sage advice. That aside, I have just come back from a consultation with a Dr Vikram (who works with/under Dr Knudsen here in Melbourne). I asked about a million questions for an hour and a half. The skinny of it is that it was great to glean information from a 'current' hair transplant surgeon (compared to the butcher who fucked my scalp at the age of 20 with punch grafts) however I wouldn't have one done here in Australia.
Dr Vikram checked my back donor region and said if he were to perform a hair transplant he would start using a strip and add in FUE (if necessary if he couldn't get enough grafts). He suggested that I start doing scalp stretching exercises in this back donor region. The next day after doing the frontal hairline and mid region he would perform another operation to use body hair FUE for the crown region and in ten months assess the results. If I still had good laxity or if FUE was a better option he would fill in more if I wasn't happy and wanted more thickness/coverage.
To be honest this could all be just bull sh*t, but it was 'so uplifting to my self esteem' to hear that I may not be the total write off I thought I always was when it came to going back to corrective hair transplant surgery. I asked him about the calibre of my hair and he said it was thick too. There was no 'hard sell, trying to book me in today sh*t' either. He answered God knows how many questions I threw at him for an hour and a half and just said to get back to him if I decide to go through with it. I'll keep you all updated guys as I look for better doctors overseas and remember to be gentle on yourselves. We are our own worst enemies.
Kind regards,
Oncall.

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I sent an email with my story and some photos to Dr Bhatti in Chandigarh, India. He has since replied back requesting better photos and some more of my beard under my chin and chest. This Sunday I have a friend who is a professional photographer so I will get these done and send them to Hasson and Wong also as well. I've also sent an email to Dr Jerry Cooley.
If anyone can think of other top doctors please feel free to chime in. Their may be hope for me yet and I will keep everyone updated. Stay well everyone.
Kind regards,
Oncall.

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just an update guys. I've decided that after seeing several hair transplant surgeons, emailing some good ones that do body/beard hair transplant (and with still a few more consultations to come) that I've decided to go ahead and go for a hair transplant/s!!! I'm very realistic about what I want and to for it to be age appropriate. My one bit of advice for 'anyone living in Australia' is DON'T EVEN BOTHER to get work done here! It's not even about the money they want! They are so full of sh*t just by challenging them on their experience, number of body hair/beard work they have done, etc.
I had another consultation to judge a surgeon in Melbourne where I was told by one surgeon (a real car salesman) that they don't do beard donor grafting, only to have the head surgeon come in (that I actually had the appointment with) tell me he could get 2,000 grafts from my neck/under my lower jaw line, etc. I was so pissed at this first guy who lied that I walked out, threatend to sue him for wasting my time and I refused to pay. I told him that it's people like him that have caused me to be in this situation I am in now.
The main message I want to send to you younger guys on here is 'PLEASE' do lots of homework. This is such an emotional experience when you are 17, 18, 19, 20,.................................. etc. I never had the option of meds that we have today when I was butchered at 18. PLEASE use them (if you can tolerate them) and remember that a hair transplant should be your last resort! Anyways, I am continuing to do more thorough due diligence and research and I will 'only commit' when I am 'absolutely satisfied' with the answers to the questions I have answered, etc. I am more than happy to walk out on guys younger than me to talk to me like I'm a dog being shown a card trick in this industry!
There's no rush guys (and I'm 50!!) so get it right the first time. Like the old saying, measure twice and cut once. Not the other way around. I'll keep everyone updated to when I decide on who I choose and how I progress. Take care everyone.
Kind regards,
Oncall.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no rush guys (and I'm 50!!) so get it right the first time. Like the old saying, measure twice and cut once. Not the other way around. I'll keep everyone updated to when I decide on who I choose and how I progress. Take care everyone.
Wise words.
50 or 51 makes no difference as long as you're ok with your head at 60, 70, 80

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hey @Oncall,

I think you are doing a good thing by doing a lot of research but you know what, sometimes a common, less famous doctor can produce great results. I think you should consult this Doctor Gaurang Krishna, Delhi , India.

https://www.practo.com/delhi/doctor/dr-gaurang-krishna-aesthetic-surgeon#recommended

i am not marketing anyone but i recommend this Doctor after watching this guy's videos on his transplant with a lot of updates. The results were outstanding.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJaB5IXaXWZZU9I9ZtkNYHQ/videos

we have already discussed about his videos in this forum.
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/norwood-3-4-comments-on-his-transplant-result.102620/

plus he does beard transplant

will never know about his result tho because there are no videos of him. Probably, he went back to USA forgot everything with his new hairstyles who knows.

But you should also consider him.

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto and Captain Rex for the heads up.
I'll look into this surgeon. I actually have a consultation with Dr Bhatti from Chandigarh who I'm meeting in Melbourne actually in 4 weeks who does body hair donor hair transplantation. I'll keep everyone updated.
By the way I am not tempted by cheap prices in India or Turkey (where their are hundreds of very cheap 'chop shops'). Their are however a couple of very good, recommended surgeons in these countries too having said that. The more involvement the surgeon has in teh total procedure the better in my book.
I am just after the best in this field for my situation. for example I contacted Dr Umar and I was put off by the 'early bird' discount if I had my surgery in the next four weeks, etc. I have encountered a lot of this marketing in my research and these are all 'red flags' guys if you are considering hair transplants (which should be your last resort after everything else has failed).
Kind regards,
Oncall.

Last edited:

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto and Captain Rex for the heads up.
I'll look into this surgeon. I actually have a consultation with Dr Bhatti from Chandigarh who I'm meeting in Melbourne actually in 4 weeks who does body hair donor hair transplantation. I'll keep everyone updated.
By the way I am not tempted by cheap prices in India or Turkey (where their are hundreds of very cheap 'chop shops'). Their are however a couple of very good, recommended surgeons in these countries too having said that. The more involvement the surgeon has in teh total procedure the better in my book.
I am just after the best in this field for my situation. for example I contacted Dr Umar and I was put off by the 'early bird' discount if I had my surgery in the next four weeks, etc. I have encountered a lot of this marketing in my research and these are all 'red flags' guys if you are considering hair transplants (which should be your last resort after everything else has failed).
Kind regards,
Oncall.
I think in your situation, the best thing is to wait and pray for tsuji. The affected area is too large.

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
FutureSaitama what is tsuji?
Cheers,
Oncall.
Strange, don't you know there's a cure for male pattern baldness in the near future?
please do check the New Research Section.
Here's everything about Tsuji
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/news/new-research/kyocera-regenerative-hair-loss-treatment/

that guy is a hero in hairloss industry and he is worshiped like a God.
His method produces unlimited donor hair.

here's an extract from the article related to your condition

"HAIR FOLLICLE MORPHOGENESIS - It is exactly this process that they are going try to mimic. How are they going to do this? Well first it will require a small specimen sample of the back of the head. The hair follicle will be then dissected to obtain these 2 types of stem cells. After this they will be put in a culture to let both cells multiply. When that is done the cells will be put together in a 3D environment to mimic the skin.

Just like in the prenatal period these cells should then communicate with each other to form the very beginning of a hair follicle, a so called “follicular primordium”. A ton of these hair follicular primordiums would then be ready to be delivered into the scalp where they should grow into a fully functional healthy hair. This way even a Norwood 6 or worse should be able to get back to a full head of hair
."

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I were in OnCall'S shoes I would not wait for Tsuji. He will probably be the Hair Savior, but really when at what price nobody knows...

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I were in OnCall'S shoes I would not wait for Tsuji. He will probably be the Hair Savior, but really when at what price nobody knows...
If you're going to invest big money in a body hair transplant, might aswell wait and see an estimated price and date for Tsuji's procedure. I really don't think it will be over 20k, just my gut feeling.

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Yes I have looked into hair cloning, stem cell research, growing hair and human ears on a mouse, etc. The funny thing is though that for the past twenty years something of this nature pops up in the media and it always is said to be 'five years away.' Then five years lapses and another break through comes out that we are getting closer and again we are told that it will be five years away, etc. I don't know why this is but 'five years' seems to be the magical number! Lol.

Yes this will be available but on some authority I've been told that it will be about 20 years from now which is of no use to me. Even if it was released tomorrow, fully packaged and marketed with hair transplant surgeons ready to jump on board, I would still hold off for a while. Remember the end to baldness came in the mid 1970's in the from of 'punch graft' hair transplants and everyone who could afford them jumped on board and today (like myself) they are all left butchered (or have had them surgically repaired). Their could be issues with the cells becoming tumorous, etc and a whole host of things that you would want to be road tested on 'humans' for several years. I personally think the answer will come from gene editing. Anyway I'm digressing.

I'm still researching and looking at some good work on Norwood 6 patients as well as some good work in hybrid hair transplants. I won;t pull the trigger until I'm satisfied but I will keep everyone updated. Take care all!

Cheers,
Oncall.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Yes I have looked into hair cloning, stem cell research, growing hair and human ears on a mouse, etc. The funny thing is though that for the past twenty years something of this nature pops up in the media and it always is said to be 'five years away.' Then five years lapses and another break through comes out that we are getting closer and again we are told that it will be five years away, etc. I don't know why this is but 'five years' seems to be the magical number! Lol.

Yes this will be available but on some authority I've been told that it will be about 20 years from now which is of no use to me. Even if it was released tomorrow, fully packaged and marketed with hair transplant surgeons ready to jump on board, I would still hold off for a while. Remember the end to baldness came in the mid 1970's in the from of 'punch graft' hair transplants and everyone who could afford them jumped on board and today (like myself) they are all left butchered (or have had them surgically repaired). Their could be issues with the cells becoming tumorous, etc and a whole host of things that you would want to be road tested on 'humans' for several years. I personally think the answer will come from gene editing. Anyway I'm digressing.

I'm still researching and looking at some good work on Norwood 6 patients as well as some good work in hybrid hair transplants. I won;t pull the trigger until I'm satisfied but I will keep everyone updated. Take care all!

Cheers,
Oncall.
I think five years is a period of time that is distant enough to make you think everything can change, but not too far so that you think it's not worth the wait.

keep

Reaction score
Well... if I were you, i would definitely try SMP with a good doctor and go with the bald look. I've seen some good results with dr. Rassman William / Jae Park. I think it's safe for now... and in the future it will also make your hair look fuller.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey oncall thanks for the wise words . Would you use dutasteride ( which is a stronger version of propecia and can give gynecomastia ) if you could come back in the past to save your hair no matter what ? sorry to ask you this , but this is because i am 23 and really deseperate , because propecia is not working for me , and i don't wan't to have a hairpiece ( but i am also frightened of having a gynecomastia ) . thx

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Roberto_72,
At my age 5 years is a vary long time compared to when I was say 20. I realize that it's all relative however the reason is because I have less of it at my age than I did when I wast 20. One thing that happens in life is that the older you get the more responsibilities you have and the faster it goes. Also the earlier I move on this the sooner I move on. I am of course still doing my due diligence but I do understand what you mean.

Hey keep,
I would go the trichopigmentation path if that was a look that I was after. I have a scar running along my top hairline and I am hoping to style my hair in bangs so that it can cover, or partially cover that scar. SMP, etc, would look silly having it done that low in my hairline to cover the scar. I saw a guy two days ago at my most recent consultation and it looked ok. Cheers.

michel sapin,
I would definitely use dutasteride despite any potential side effects listed. Look what I did to my head at 18! Lol!!!. But seriously, I would definitely take it and remember just because a side effect is listed does not mean you will be affected by it. You have to way up the pros and cons but speaking personally I wouldn't hesitate. Their are far more side effects when it comes to hair transplant surgery (necrosis, infection and just plain bad luck). Even the best hair transplant surgeons like Hasson and Wong, etc have the occasional hair transplant shitty result. In fact all of the best would have to have had one. The risks are just minimized down to slightest risk. As I've said before, surgery should be your very last option after you have exhausted everything else available. If I'm not 100% satisfied after consultations and meeting patients of doctors like Dr Bhatti and Dr Reddy who specialize in hybrid hair transplants, I'm walking. There is no point in jumping out of the pan into the fire. This may come as cold comfort, but there is more to life than hair. My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer two weeks ago and has been told he has two months to live. I mention this just to put things in perspective. When you are 18 you cannot see the trees for the forest and you become severely depressed, or worse, when it comes to hair loss. If you ride it out you will see over life's journey that you can overcome sh*t that comes your way. I don't say this to diminish the enormous pain that early hair loss has on a person's self identity, self esteem, etc. I WAS one of those guys and at 18 I had the worst looking hair transplant which for the rest of my life afterwards I have regretted. Despite this, I can say I have had a hell of a life 'in spite' of it. I learned to make jokes about my wigs, freak people out who never knew I wore a wig, etc. You have to try and dig deep and find a way of turning the tragedy of life into a comedy that makes life worth more than just living, but one that should be celebrated. It is after all a short one. Be kind to yourself,
Kind regards,
Oncall.