Heretogrow's story - Hairloss From Early 20's

Heretogrow

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My hairloss started from when i was around 20, or possibly earlier. Iam 23 now, and have been putting off any treatments due to fear of side effects.

My hair has been thinning out gradually (I have been taking pictures since May last year), and was mostly in the crown area, but has now progressed to the front of my head! I want to start on a programme ASAP, but am unsure what to do.

I have read that the Big 3 (finasteride, Rogaine and Nizoral) is the way to go, however i have also read the many people have had bad side effects from being on finasteride. I am considering replacing finasteride with Revivogen? What do you guys think? Has anyone here had visible success with Revivogen?

Heres what I am considering:

Revivogen
Revita Shampoo
Rogaine Foam - Morning
Rogain Liquid - Night
Nizoral Shampoo

What do you guys think? Your Feedback will be much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• May Top.jpg
    May Top.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 292
  • May back.jpg
    May back.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 257
  • October Top.jpg
    October Top.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 245
  • October Back.jpg
    October Back.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 274

kjamo1212

Reaction score
Re: My Story - Hairloss From Early 20's

Gotta get on the propecia ASAP! Ive been on it for the last 8 years, and it works wonders. No side effects here.

dinosaur_sr

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My Story - Hairloss From Early 20's

Side effects are rare and in most cases reversible - speak to a doctor if you're really worried, I guess. Definitely go with Propecia first, you don't want to regret not saving more hair if Revivogen doesn't work for you.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,

As other has said getting finasteride is your best change to keep your hair. You can read that many people has said that they have sides and it will destroy your sex life and so on... I was also scared about sides so much that I even thought not to get finasteride. Anyway I got finasteride and I've been on it 0.5mg/day for last 10 days without any sides.

Only "side" is the good feeling that I'm doing all I can to prevent further hair loss. Now I can live my normal life again. I spent last 3 months worrying about my hair so much that it affect my daily basis. I spent like an hour per day only watching mirror and thinking how screwed up I will be in the future because of my hair.

finasteride won't regrow your hair so if you want regrow I recommend you to try minoxidil as rogaine or something similar. Foam is easy to apply and it will become your routine as brushing your teeth. Actually I do it at the same time when I brush my teeth twice a day and it takes like a minute more.

I mean I can't guarantee that you won't get sides because everyone is an individual but at least you can't know if you don't try. In my case I thought that I will regret it more if I don't try and in the future I would have known that I might had a chance to prevent the loss and that was the trigger to got me trying and to be honest I couldn't be more happy about that decision at the moment.

I know how devastating it is to notice hair loss. I knew that day would come at some point but this early as I'm 23.. Jeez this sucks. I can't even think how you have felt since you were 20. Wishing a best of luck to you mate!

Heretogrow

Reaction score
Thanks for the reponses guys! The thing is i read that someone got impotent from going on finasteride! That really scared me out of it. I will be seeing a doctor anyway to find out more. Any more responses will be appreciated! :)

T

TravisB

You will find plenty of stories like that on the internet :mrgreen:

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
As you can read on latest label of propecia/proscar etc. They have added something like "erectile dysfunction may occur even quitting the drug" the label chanced at summer 2011. Anyway there isn't enough data to research what's the % of occurring.

As the researchers doesn't know the exact mechanism how 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor affect to other things than only DHT because there was a chain how it will affect like three or more hormones etc. I'm sorry I'm too lazy to explain but google will help you out on this one.

Anyway the cases where people suffer permanent erectile dysfunction or other sides is pretty small because they couldn't notice that on clinical trials before FDA approved the drug.

When I consulted my doctor about 2 to 3 weeks ago about propecia and possible sides he basically just said that kind of sides are probably just mentally ( well I disagree on that ). He explained how people use even 5mg daily dose without sides and eventually he just encouraged me to try if the drug is or isn't for me. Happily I can say I don't suffer any kind of sides at least not yet ( 10 days on finasteride ) and as far as I'm aware that if you are going to get sides you should get 'em pretty immediately.

As you mentioned that you have read stuff about internet I'm sure there is at least twice as much positive stories than negative. But in the end it's impossible to guess or predict if you will get sides or not. Only way is to try and find out.

Heretogrow

Reaction score
Hey thanks heaps for your post mate, think I will try finasteride and see how it goes. Anyone here been on finasteride for over a year without side effects?

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are a few member who have used finasteride over 10 years and then you should check http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=56072&st=0&sk=t&sd=a story he has been on finasteride over 2 years, he had some sides but they went away. Then you can many users who has been on finasteride 1 to 7 years and so on...

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70054&st=0&sk=t&sd=a This guy has done his homework really and you should read his posts. You will probably find a lot answers to your questions about finasteride in that topic. There is at least different research data's etc.

Heretogrow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So im definitely going to go through with the big 3, and now im deciding what and where to get them from.

I will have to go with finasteride (5mg) and cut it down to 4 pieces, as it much cheaper. Has anyone had issues with this?

Also Iv read people use both rogaine foam and liquid, (liquid in the nights) as the liquid lasts longer? What are your thoughts? Im thinking of buying it off ebay, Im not in the US.

Heretogrow

Reaction score
So bit of an update:

Got my prescription for finasteride today! Kinda nervous, hard to think about popping a pill everyday for the rest of my life!!

Ordered a years worth of rogain liquid! And 8 months worth of foam.

Hopefully will start finasteride and Nizoral on Monday plus a haircut.

Will get the same haircut everymonth along with pictures, same lighting, same room.

Hopefully this year will end with lots of hair :)

Do you guys know when the best time is to take finasteride? Morning or nights? My wake up times are fairly inconsistent so will night be better? Cheers guys :)

Heretogrow

Reaction score
So a bit of a dilemma, iv got my finasteride and nizoral. But in the last week iv noticed that im only loosing 5-10 hairs in the shower, I'm not on anything at the moment.

What do u guys think? Should I start finasteride? Or just go on rogaine?

thinningcrown

Reaction score
Heretogrow said:
So a bit of a dilemma, iv got my finasteride and nizoral. But in the last week iv noticed that im only loosing 5-10 hairs in the shower, I'm not on anything at the moment.

What do u guys think? Should I start finasteride? Or just go on rogaine?

Dont be stupid and start finasteride as soon as possible.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep you should start finasteride if you want to keep your hair.

Time of day doesn't really matter. I used to try really hard to take it the same time every morning, but now I don't really care.

Don't stress too much about the finasteride, stay fit and healthy while you're on it, I reckon you'll be fine. I've been on it for ~16 months, no sides.

(I had initial nut-ache on and off for 1-2 days which never came back).

Good luck I think you'll do well and you're lucky to have caught it early.

Heretogrow

Reaction score
Ok so I am going to start my treatment today. Have not received my rogaine yet, so it will be this for now:

Morning (or when i wake up)
# Multivitamin
# Vitamin E

Night
# Finasteride (5mg tablet cut into 4 pieces) - 1.25mg

Weekly
# 2% generic Ketokonazole twice a week

Other
# Protein shakes twice daily (on gym days)
# 5 gym sessions a week (1.5 hours approx)
# 3 eggs and cereal in the morning/arvo
# Try to eat healthy except for weekends, where diet goes out the window.

I will be taking photos every month, with the same haircut (18mm clipper setting), same lighting, same location.

Here are my baseline photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 177

Heretogrow

Reaction score
Update:
So i recieved my rogaine foam today, and have started taking that.
2 days on finasteride so far and no issues.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Glad you decided to go through with it, its the only proven way to prevent hairloss so if you want to stop it its wise to try. I remember when I took my very first pill the immediate moment I swallowed it I had my first panic attack for about 10 years, how absurd is that! I let myself get worried about it because id literally been reading about a story 2 mins before took it. Ive been taking it for 8 months since, no sides whatsoever.

i genuinely believe that in some cases guys who receive sides get them because of what they have read on some of these sites. The stories of Sexual sides on here remind me of the thing about a 'pink elephant', tell yourself not to think about one and you will.

I wish you all the best, with the amount of hair you have left, you will hopefully get some good regrowth