High Dose Niacin for Hair Loss - working for me

Zeruko

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for another cure over the last year and a half or so.

Initially Minoxidil worked very well for 3 or 4 years and then the dreaded itch returned.
Stumbled upon Zix from a thread here and then that worked for me for another 2 years until the itch returned again.
Hair loss is a progressive disease in my experience and it seems like I need to adjust my regime every few years.
I've lost a fair bit of density over the past year and a half due to not being able to find something that works consistently.
Sometimes I think I've found a cure and after some initial success (scalp massages seemed to help slightly etc) my itchy scalp and hair loss comes back.
I refrain from posting about these until I've seen consistent success for months, and now it looks like I've found something that might really help some people; so I've created this thread.

I enjoy studying supplements in order to optimize my health.
In that journey I came upon the works of Dr Abram Hoffer & Andrew W Saul, and this book in particular- Niacin: The Real Story
It extols the benefits of high doses of Niacin B3 (flushing kind) and I was intrigued by the health benefits (not for hair loss in particular)

I've been taking it for the last 3 months and my itchy scalp has completely gone away!
I started small with 250mg a day as Niacin B3 creates a flushing sensation which is very intense initially.
Slowly have worked my way up to 2g a day (1g morning, 1g at night on an empty stomach).

It worked on it's own but combining it with microneedling (0.75mm with a Dr Pen device) has really skyrocketed the results.

Others will definitely be able to come up with better/science backed theories as to why this works.
My own thoughts is that it helps due to it improving circulation and most importantly it aids hugely in angiogenesis (Niacin is a precursor to NAD which is a very powerful anti-ageing molecule that promotes the formation of new blood vessels and improves blood supply).
After microneedling, dramatically improving your bodies ability to create new blood vessels and thus blood supply/oxygen/nutrients, cannot help but massively help with hair loss.

I've learned about a lot of helpful treatments for hair loss from this forum which has allowed me to stave off the worst of hair loss, which is why I'm trying to pay it back now by posting this.
Everyone's body is different, which is why treatments will work for some and not others.
This one is cheap and worth a try. Even if it doesn't work for you, high dose Niacin is well worth taking for its other health benefits.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ll have to look at it.. It makes sense by increasing blood flow.. Have to look at if forms new blood vessels..
The reason for baldness in males is of course male hormones which affect the tissues around the hair follicles. Slowly calcifying/fibrous strangling the blood /nutrients from reaching follicles. This tension we hear about.. Usually lowering the DHT will stop/slow down the balding.. But if the tissues aren’t dealt with.. If the tension isn’t dealt with—the balding will continue.. Minoxidil affects the tissues around the follicles..
So it might be worth trying..

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, come on. Niacin was discovered about 100 years ago and you are far from the first person to try it in high doses and if it promoted new growth, we learned about it long ago.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So Zeruko is really Saul or Hoffer? Or is just impressed with Niacin possibilities?
Whatever…
If we are talking about blood flow Niacin certainly dilates arteries.. I get flush in my skin.. But never tested it for hair growth.
Niacin B3 also aids in creating new blood vessels .. as does B1 & B12…
Niacin aids in keratin formation which is what hairs are made of..
So I think it’s worth a 30 day test…