How do I look with a shaved head?

Boondock

Reaction score
red_pill.jpg

"Neo, do you choose to take the red pill, the blue pill, or the finasteride 1mg? The finasteride 1mg is not an easy path. Some will say it is a road one such as yourself should not embark upon - that you will not be able to handle its effects. You may feel brain-fogged for a while, while you adjust to what is in truth the unmasked face of reality. But, in this pill, lies the choice, the knowledge, the power to throw your hands up in the air and proclaim: 'I am...the Norwood One'. But I can only show you the door. It is you that has to walk through it."

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hope4hairRedux said:
I dont have a hatred of bald people. I do shudder at the thought of becoming like some of them though. Some look sub-human, disgusting, hideous. It scares me. How far they have let themselves go. So its a fear, and yes I admit it can manifest into hatred - hatred for these bald(ing) look like sh*t type men. The hatred is really internal - hate and fear because I see so many bald look like sh*t types that I wonder if that is my destiny.

But really, I dont hate bald people. I get scared when I see the types Ive described, I feel angry sometimes. Because it reminds me of the ever changing nature of life. The fact that one day I could be nw5, horseshoe etc. The fact that Ill go longer be young or striking.

These are just normal guys, if you think that in your 30's and 40's you'll have the time to juggle a career, paying the mortgage and probably having a normal family life with still working out and staying in shape like a 20 yr old. The fact is most guys just cant do it and they get to that age and they've had enough of all the effort and just want to relax without having to compensate their appearance. And yeah many of them will look in the mirror see their horseshoe and think f*** it man.

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope4hairRedux said:
I dont dislike beards or moustaches on bald people because I outright hate bald people. I hate them because they show one thing - a pathetic effort of compensation that everybody can see through. it looks scruffy and tasteless if you ask me.

I constantly switched off between full beards and goatees BEFORE I started losing my hair. I love how it looks and I'm not going to stop loving it just because some prick might think I'm trying to compensate for something.

:smack:

Boondock

Reaction score
To be fair to H4HR, it seems like he knows his hatred is not real hatred, but a projection of the fear he himself experiences. He's scared of what he might become, and when he sees it in the reflection of others he hates it. It's not about hating on people, but being scared of a fate you may face and therefore developing hostility towards it.

In my view, if the facial hair w/ bald look works for you, do it. Nobody except hair loss sufferers will be thinking "ooo, he's compensating for the lack of face-framing by adding facial hair underneath." Hell, look at Michael Eavis - he looks pretty silly, but before I had hair loss I didn't think anything of it.

Reaction score
As everyone else said, it honestly looks good, man.

And somehow, it looks better than the pics of you with a buzz. Your head looks rounder, your face looks younger, you look more fit.

You are definitely set with the head shaving. GL.

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
To be fair to H4HR, it seems like he knows his hatred is not real hatred, but a projection of the fear he himself experiences. He's scared of what he might become, and when he sees it in the reflection of others he hates it. It's not about hating on people, but being scared of a fate you may face and therefore developing hostility towards it.

In my view, if the facial hair w/ bald look works for you, do it. Nobody except hair loss sufferers will be thinking "ooo, he's compensating for the lack of face-framing by adding facial hair underneath." Hell, look at Michael Eavis - he looks pretty silly, but before I had hair loss I didn't think anything of it.

Boondock - I'm grateful that you understand my frame of mind, whilst articulating what I was trying to express with a greater clarity.

I by no means hate bald people outright. Its all to with inner fears which I project onto others.

Whatever. If a beard works for people then I dont give a f***, it seems some people are quite offended by my remarks. Its nothing to do with being a norwood spotter or an obsessed/neurotic type, I just feel that having a completely shaved head with facial hair looks a bit wierd/sh*t. Ie take Bruce Willis - with facial hair or without?

Of course, without. If you have shave your head low grade but not completely then having some facial hair a similar low grade can look cool - I just believe there needs to be some sort of equilibrium. For example; Jason Statham, Wesley Sniejder, the Barcalona manager. These are all examples of guys who have some facial pattern but also have a low grade on their heads.

That looks totally cool. The type of undesirable looking baldy types I was refering to are the sort you get on slybaldguys forum. Its that generic, blobby, bloated look. Usually with a goatee or a beard. Yeah dude, that really f*****g rocks. Get a grip.

Thats what initially irritated me - that someone said he should grow facial hair, as if thats going to improve on how he looks. He doesnt need facial hair/beard goatee. That is completely buzzed down and you need to face to follow suit. Most guys with facial hair are crap fat looking loser bald men. Most good looking bald men keep their faces clean and sharp along with their heads.

girl1 'oh look at that bald guy over there''
girl2 'uhh gross'

girl1 ' oh look at that bald guy over there, look at that great goatee/beard hes sporting'
girl2 'oh my god hes so sexy'

I mean, wake the f*** up.

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with not having a goatee or a big beard. I think a clean look is more stylish than what you said. Goatees are ugly no matter if the guy has hair or not.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
haha you guys

some people suit facial hair some dont

i personally look 10x better with it. i trim it constantly however always to perhaps a grade 1 - it short, distinguished and designer :)

all about keeping tidy of course:

neil-strauss-before-and-after.jpg

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the five o'clock shadow looks well with a short buzz, IE jason stathome.
Not everyone can grow facial hair like that though. It's the only way I'd wear it , mustache and goatee are too generic with bald men and many women don't like it.

SPX-018305.jpg

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
I always have a semi type beard. I don't (yet) have the full facial beard, but whenever i let it grow for 2 or 3 days (starts to look bad after that) i think i look great. I actually hate having it shaved, but i have to coz my crummy work demands it.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I might try and shave it every few days now because I think it looks better than the balding buzzcut. I'll also try and get a tan. I don't know what to do with the facial hair though. I'll probably experiment with what I have. I can't yet grow much facial hair on my cheeks, and my moustache has only just joined the stubble on my chin.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it impacts on my social life, especially in Asia. Maybe I'll be forced to grow it back if it really does make me a social pariah over there.

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
So how´s it going with your head shaved?

You don´t look like you have an horseshoe with your head shaved even if you are a NW3 and you look better without hair!

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
The 5 oclock shadow, a must for all younger bald guys imo. When I shave my head, I simply run over my face at the same time, same grade, every 2 days. Beyond 32-35 men generally look like tramps with it.

Ps. Im not as impressed with the shaved picture as others are, maybe bald people dont suit being happy?!

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
FabioM said:
So how´s it going with your head shaved?

You don´t look like you have an horseshoe with your head shaved even if you are a NW3 and you look better without hair!

It's going good, but I don't know how it will affect me socially until next month. I've started getting into shape and working on my tan as well.

I think the close shave looks better than the balding buzzcut, but there's no doubt I'd look better with hair (a full head of hair).

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
BrightonBaldy said:
The 5 oclock shadow, a must for all younger bald guys imo. When I shave my head, I simply run over my face at the same time, same grade, every 2 days. Beyond 32-35 men generally look like tramps with it.

Ps. Im not as impressed with the shaved picture as others are, maybe bald people dont suit being happy?!

It's hard to tell if I suit a shaved head or not from a forum. The responses are positive, but maybe that's because I'm on a hair loss website. I won't really know until next month when I move to Asia, because at the moment I'm not really going out anywhere.

The few times I've been into town there have been no negative reactions e.g. staring or expressions of disgust. However, as with the buzzcut, I get no second glances/smiles from women etc, which I used to get when I grew my hair out.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
No, this is the first time I've shaved my head completely bald. I did ask how my buzzcut looked a while back though.

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
You didn´t answered if you have a bald spot or notice a horseshoe with your head shaved.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no I don't show a baldspot or a horseshoe because I've never developed one. My hair is receded to a norwood 3+ and my hair is quite thin on top, but I've managed to avoid a baldspot so far. It's probably only a matter of time though.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Beard with a bald head looks good IMO. Do we have to have such self-loathing about whether its compensation or not? People compensate all the time without even realising it most times - case in point redheads almost exclusively wearing black or white or green (at a push) cos every other colour does not suit them.