How Many Grafts To Achieve This Look?

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this website. I have a question about how many hair grafts it would take to make a Norwood 6 look like the man in the pictures below. I'm not saying he has had a hair transplant but I have a similar bald pattern as well as density, texture, color and waviness but I am completely bald on top. It has been the same for years and I just want modest results from a transplant. I don't take any hair medication and can't due to other health issues.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I know results vary but I just want to know if I can come close to this man and if so, how many grafts it would take.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't show an image of his crown area that shows how thin it is. But as you can see, it is quite thin. I'm okay with that, I'm just curious about how many grafts it would take to give me an appearance similar to this. Thanks
image.jpg

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's about 3500 grafts depending on the quality of your donor hair.

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's about 3500 grafts depending on the quality of your donor hair.
Thank you so much!!! My hair is very much like his on the back and sides, thick, wavy, and dark brown. Thanks again, that's a huge relief, I thought it would be something outrageous like 7000 grafts.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you do a high hairline and evenly spread it then 3500 will come close to his. His donor hair looks very good so if yours is like that then you should be fine.

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you do a high hairline and evenly spread it then 3500 will come close to his. His donor hair looks very good so if yours is like that then you should be fine.
Are you considering his hairline to be high? That's my goal is his hairline and his overall look. Thanks

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you considering his hairline to be high? That's my goal is his hairline and his overall look. Thanks
Also, when you say evenly spread, do you mean over the whole area or just the front half where his is much thicker than the crown area?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He doesn't have a dense frontal hairline, it is thin and maintains that going back. Some doctors would put in a dense hairline and taper it back, but I don't think it would look good from the side. The 3500 would cover about what he has and nothing more, with a more even spread among the grafts.

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
He doesn't have a dense frontal hairline, it is thin and maintains that going back. Some doctors would put in a dense hairline and taper it back, but I don't think it would look good from the side. The 3500 would cover about what he has and nothing more, with a more even spread among the grafts.
Ohhh, I see what you mean, thanks. I guess I'll get a quote from a Doctor and show him these pictures so he knows what I'm wanting. If it doesn't turn out decent like this, I guess I could go back a year later and get more grafts done too. Thanks again!

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
3k-4k grafts would do that.
Is that including the crown area which is very thin but still has some hair? Also, for my additions sake,(and mental), how many grafts per square cm does the frontal area of his scalp appear to be in your opinion? Thanks

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you want a diffused top appearance 3500 grafts but why? I would go for more dense appearance and fill in the front third if your going to go for a transplant.
I look way to "dangerous" with a shaved head and I don't want that look anymore. It gets old having women clutch their purses when they see me or when people cross to the other side of the road when I go for a walk. I also don't want the hair on sides bald on top look either being that I'm only in my early 30s. I also don't want a huge gaping bald spot with no hair at all and have a dense area up front because it stands out too much(in my opinion). Basically, I just want to disappear into that "average human" category. I don't need to be gorgeous with long wavy hair like I was when I was younger. And I don't want to look dangerous/scary anymore. I just want to feel comfortable walking into my kids school without frightening the teachers(shaved look), nor do I want to be the "old guy" with the bald on top look either. With hair like the guys in the picture, it wouldn't look like I'm trying to cover up my hair loss, it would just look like over the years it's thinned and that I don't care. Also, if I absolutely needed to look like a 10/10, I could just use toppik or something like that. Maybe for a picture or wedding or anything else fancy. Thanks for your suggestion though.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I look way to "dangerous" with a shaved head and I don't want that look anymore. It gets old having women clutch their purses when they see me or when people cross to the other side of the road when I go for a walk. I also don't want the hair on sides bald on top look either being that I'm only in my early 30s. I also don't want a huge gaping bald spot with no hair at all and have a dense area up front because it stands out too much(in my opinion). Basically, I just want to disappear into that "average human" category. I don't need to be gorgeous with long wavy hair like I was when I was younger. And I don't want to look dangerous/scary anymore. I just want to feel comfortable walking into my kids school without frightening the teachers(shaved look), nor do I want to be the "old guy" with the bald on top look either. With hair like the guys in the picture, it wouldn't look like I'm trying to cover up my hair loss, it would just look like over the years it's thinned and that I don't care. Also, if I absolutely needed to look like a 10/10, I could just use toppik or something like that. Maybe for a picture or wedding or anything else fancy. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Most people say this and then later down the track get second and third transplants. You will get hair greed unless you go all out. Get an FUT with 6k grafts and cover the whole lot and with a good hairline.

shookwun

Reaction score
Always maximize graft count at the front, and work backwards with remaining donor availability.

Problem with crown loss is that if you focus grafts within this area, and still bald you will have an isolated area that resembles a bald crown with a ponytail. The crown area is large, and requires to many grafts when emphasized on. Which would would leave your donor area over harvested to the point where you dont have an edquate amount of grafts remaining to fill in the front.

High norwoods should never focus on the crown, and always work on maximizing the front, and parietal part of the scalp.

the pictures provided are a good example of someone who has a lack of self-awareness on how ridiculous he looks. Sides are separated, see through hairline, and a norwood 7 in formation.

A good surgeon can properly map, and transplant a NW5-7 strategically, which wouldnt follow conventional transplants of early norwood - grafting entire scalp for density.

FUHT-2015-30.23-L-R-ExtremeWeighting.png

resu

Reaction score
At that point buzzing the head is the only look that's suitable so no FUT, most docs would place all the grafts on the hairline but I think an higher hairline and a sparser mid/crown would be a better solution.

shookwun

Reaction score
At that point buzzing the head is the only look that's suitable so no FUT, most docs would place all the grafts on the hairline but I think an higher hairline and a sparser mid/crown would be a better solution.
Lol buzzing does not work with a diffuse scalp, and transplant hair. Looks like see through cobwebs with a dense horse shoe.

Its either 0 guard - 1 week stubble or grown out.

resu

Reaction score
Lol buzzing does not work with a diffuse scalp, and transplant hair. Looks like see through cobwebs with a dense horse shoe.

Its either 0 guard - 1 week stubble or grown out.

That's what I mean by buzzing, no guard, the metal combs can be adjusted.

shookwun

Reaction score
That's what I mean by buzzing, no guard, the metal combs can be adjusted.
My hair at the moment looks like see through pubes under incandescent lighting. All though when I had it at 0 guard I fealt good about myself, comparable to a grown out layered style.

Buzz cuts simply dont work unless you have good density. it's either 0 guard or grow it out, and utilize a volume, and layering technique.

resu

Reaction score
My hair at the moment looks like see through pubes under incandescent lighting. All though when I had it at 0 guard I fealt good about myself, comparable to a grown out layered style.

Buzz cuts simply dont work unless you have good density. it's either 0 guard or grow it out, and utilize a volume, and layering technique.

With that density it's always to be see through, you're just making it look tidy. It's funny that when I 0 guarded my hair for the first time the first thought I had was that if I could tattoo some dots in the crown and midscalp my hair loss wouldn't be too noticeable but now after seeing some of the results of SMP I come to the conclusion that it's not a very good solution.

HThopefully27

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people say this and then later down the track get second and third transplants. You will get hair greed unless you go all out. Get an FUT with 6k grafts and cover the whole lot and with a good hairline.
I am aware of this hair greed, and if I get this look done like the guy in the picture, at least I will still have 1500-2500 grafts left should I ever feel this hair greed. However, I am a huge car guy and that has been the only thing that has kept me from being transplanted in the past(money). I just want "some" hair so I can drive with the top down and not feel stupid.