How to beat anxiety?

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Anxiety is a terrible thing.

I was always a terribly anxious person, even as a child but I never did anything about it. I just suffered in silence and felt guilty. :(

Here's a pathetic example. When I was a kid, my mother forced me to attend the local music conservatory (even though I hated it and had no talent whatsoever) and I remember these horrible auditions we had: I knew my music really well, but when the time came to perform I was too nervous and made a complete fool of myself. This happened countless times.

More recently, I've suffered from sexual performance anxiety: I'm always able to obtain a great erection really fast but I sometimes lose it just before penetration because I feel too anxious.

Today, I want to change that. There is, however, a big problem: most anxiolytics cause erectile dysfunction. I've already tried trazodone but side effects (fatigue, sudden loss of pressure) were unbearable. I also tried an oxytocin nasal spray but I didn't like it: it didn't help my sexual performance and I was too numb and sedated. Actually, oxytocin may have done more harm than good.

I'm going to try SEREDYN. It is a natural supplement, it has no side effects and some of its ingredients may even improve sexual performance (L-theanine, passion flower).

Any ideas, guys?

cuebald

Reaction score
Number 1 by far is alprazolam

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a massive question, it can't be answered just like "thake this and you'll be allright".

I say that, for a start, avoid caffeine and all stimulants and anything that can raise your levels of cortisol. White tea contains theanine and very little caffeine and this is another starting point. If you can buy GABA off the shelf in your country this is another good supplement. I cannot unfortunately, so I have to use taurine and glutamine.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
I can tell you about anxiety, I've just arrived home from my driving exam, which I have failed for the second time. My hands and legs were trembling during the whole thing and I was told that my driving was too hasty :(
During practice I perform really well, driving is not difficult for me at all. I'm already afraid of performing the exam, redoing it is quite expensive. Not even with my hairloss I feel this depressed.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol#F ... sol_levels

Factors affecting cortisol levels
Caffeine may increase cortisol levels.[44] Sleep deprivation increases cortisol levels.[45]
Intense (high VO2 max) or prolonged physical exercise stimulate cortisol release in order to increase gluconeogenesis and maintain blood glucose.[46] Proper nutrition[47] and high-level conditioning[48] can help stabilize cortisol release.
Val/Val variation of the BDNF gene in men, and the Val/Met variation in women is associated with increased salivary cortisol in a stressful situation.[49]
Magnesium supplementation decreases serum cortisol levels after aerobic exercise,[50][51] but not in resistance training.[52]
Omega 3 fatty acids, in a dose dependent manner,[53] can lower cortisol release influenced by mental stress[54] by suppressing the synthesis of interleukin-1 and 6 and enhance the synthesis of interleukin-2, where the former promote higher CRH release. Omega 6 fatty acids, on the other hand, acts inversely on interleukin synthesis.[citation needed]
Hypoestrogenism and melatonin supplementation increases cortisol levels in postmenopausal women.[55]
Burnout is associated with higher cortisol levels.[56]
Music therapy can reduce cortisol levels in certain situations.[57]
Massage therapy can reduce cortisol.[58]
Laughing and the experience of humour can lower cortisol levels.[59]
Subcutaneous adipose tissue regenerates cortisol from cortisone.[60]
Makeup reduces cortisol levels in a mental stress situation.[61]
Anorexia nervosa increases cortisol levels.[62]
Black tea may speed up recovery from a high cortisol condition.[63][64]
The serotonin receptor gene 5HTR2C is associated with increased cortisol production in men.[65]
Soy derived Phosphatidylserine interacts with cortisol but the right dosage is still unclear.[66][67]
Vitamin C may slightly blunt cortisol release in response to a mental stressor. [68]
Oral contraceptives increase cortisol levels in young women who perform whole-body resistance exercise training. [69]
Commuting increases cortisol levels, related to the length of the trip, the amount of effort involved and the predictability of the trip[70]

^ Lovallo WR, Farag NH, Vincent AS, Thomas TL, Wilson MF (March 2006). "Cortisol responses to mental stress, exercise, and meals following caffeine intake in men and women". Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 83 (3): 441–7. doi:10.1016/j.pbb.2006.03.005. PMID 16631247.
^ http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2068517
^ Robson PJ, Blannin AK, Walsh NP, Castell LM, Gleeson M (February 1999). "Effects of exercise intensity, duration and recovery on in vitro neutrophil function in male athletes". Int J Sports Med 20 (2): 128–35. PMID 10190775.
^ Gleeson, M (Mar 2006). "Can nutrition limit exercise-induced immunodepression?". Nutrition reviews 64 (3): 119–31. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2006.tb00195.x. ISSN 0029-6643. PMID 16572599. edit
^ Kraemer WJ, Spiering BA, Volek JS, et al. (January 2009). "Recovery from a national collegiate athletic association division I football game: muscle damage and hormonal status". J Strength Cond Res 23 (1): 2–10. doi:10.1519/JSC.0b013e31819306f2. PMID 19077734.
^ Shalev, I; Lerer, E; Israel, S; Uzefovsky, F; Gritsenko, I; Mankuta, D; Ebstein, Rp; Kaitz, M (Apr 2009). "BDNF Val66Met polymorphism is associated with HPA axis reactivity to psychological stress characterized by genotype and gender interactions". Psychoneuroendocrinology 34 (3): 382–8. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2008.09.017. PMID 18990498. edit
^ Golf, Sw; Happel, O; Graef, V; Seim, Ke (Nov 1984). "Plasma aldosterone, cortisol and electrolyte concentrations in physical exercise after magnesium supplementation" (Free full text). Journal of clinical chemistry and clinical biochemistry. Zeitschrift fur klinische Chemie und klinische Biochemie 22 (11): 717–21. ISSN 0340-076X. PMID 6527092. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/s ... rn+50-23-7. edit
^ Golf, Sw; Bender, S; Grüttner, J (Sep 1998). "On the significance of magnesium in extreme physical stress". Cardiovascular drugs and therapy / sponsored by the International Society of Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy 12 Suppl 2: 197–202. doi:10.1023/A:1007708918683. ISSN 0920-3206. PMID 9794094. edit
^ Wilborn, Cd; Kerksick, Cm; Campbell, Bi; Taylor, Lw; Marcello, Bm; Rasmussen, Cj; Greenwood, Mc; Almada, A; Kreider, Rb (Dec 2004). "Effects of Zinc Magnesium Aspartate (ZMA) Supplementation on Training Adaptations and Markers of Anabolism and Catabolism" (Free full text). Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 1 (2): 12–20. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-2-12. PMID 18500945. PMC: 2129161. http://www.jissn.com/content/1/2/12. edit
^ Bhathena, Sj; Berlin, E; Judd, Jt; Kim, Yc; Law, Js; Bhagavan, Hn; Ballard-Barbash, R; Nair, Pp (01 Oct 1991). "Effects of omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E on hormones involved in carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in men" (Free full text). The American journal of clinical nutrition 54 (4): 684–8. ISSN 0002-9165. PMID 1832814. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view ... id=1832814. edit
^ Delarue, J; Matzinger, O; Binnert, C; Schneiter, P; Chioléro, R; Tappy, L (Jun 2003). "Fish oil prevents the adrenal activation elicited by mental stress in healthy men" (Free full text). Diabetes & metabolism 29 (3): 289–95. doi:10.1016/S1262-3636(07)70039-3. ISSN 1262-3636. PMID 12909818. http://www.masson.fr/masson/MDOI-DM-06- ... 1019-ART12. edit
^ Cagnacci, A; Soldani, R; Yen, Ss (Mar 1997). "Melatonin enhances cortisol levels in aged women: reversible by estrogens" (Free full text). Journal of pineal research 22 (2): 81–5. doi:10.1111/j.1600-079X.1997.tb00307.x. ISSN 0742-3098. PMID 9181519. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/s ... rn+50-23-7. edit
^ Wingenfeld, K; Schulz, M; Damkroeger, A; Rose, M; Driessen, M (Mar 2009). "Elevated diurnal salivary cortisol in nurses is associated with burnout but not with vital exhaustion". Psychoneuroendocrinology. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2009.02.015. PMID 19321266. edit
^ Uedo, N; Ishikawa, H; Morimoto, K; Ishihara, R; Narahara, H; Akedo, I; Ioka, T; Kaji, I; Fukuda, S (Mar 2004). "Reduction in salivary cortisol level by music therapy during colonoscopic examination" (Free full text). Hepato-gastroenterology 51 (56): 451–3. ISSN 0172-6390. PMID 15086180. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/colonoscopy.html. edit
^ Field, T; Hernandez-Reif, M; Diego, M; Schanberg, S; Kuhn, C (Oct 2005). "Cortisol decreases and serotonin and dopamine increase following massage therapy". The International journal of neuroscience 115 (10): 1397–413. doi:10.1080/00207450590956459. PMID 16162447. edit
^ http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeti ... cts/946.11
^ http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/cg ... ct/58/1/46
^ http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 5/abstract
^ http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstrac ... 08.26958v1
^ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5405686.stm
^ http://www.springerlink.com/content/m226111566k24u65/
^ New Clues about Genetic Influence of Stress on Men’s Health
^ Hellhammer, J; Fries, E; Buss, C; Engert, V; Tuch, A; Rutenberg, D; Hellhammer, D (Jun 2004). "Effects of soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex (PAS) on the endocrine and psychological responses to mental stress". Stress (Amsterdam, Netherlands) 7 (2): 119–26. doi:10.1080/10253890410001728379. PMID 15512856. edit
^ Starks MA, Starks SL, Kingsley M, Purpura M, Jäger R (2008). "The effects of phosphatidylserine on endocrine response to moderate intensity exercise". J Int Soc Sports Nutr 5: 11. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-5-11. PMID 18662395.
^ Vitamin C: Stress Buster Psychology today
^ Oral Contraceptive Use Impairs Muscle Gains in Young Women
^ http://www.utrc2.org/research/assets/74 ... eport1.pdf

barcafan

Reaction score
I think if you are really good at something that you're proud of, it would greatly reduce your general life anxiety. I.E sports, music whatever

cuebald

Reaction score
it's very good at reducing anxiety but it does make you feel highly drugged.
I can't imagine wanting sex while on that drug, so as a cure for performance anxiety specifically, I'd have to say it's no good :(

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Alprazolam (Xanax) is good -but- can be especially sedating early in the course of treatment. Everyone is different but it can take a while before your body adjusts to alprazolam to the point you can function during the day.

Alprazolam is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines and comes in .25mg; .5mg; 1mg; 2mg doses. People with servere anxienty can take up to 6mg or more per day but during the early phases of treatment you'll start at .25mg and slowly work your way to a theraputic dose.

Now, if it were up to me, as far as benzodiazepines are concerned: I would look into clonazepam (Klonopin). Also in the benzodiazepine family, clonazepam isnt nearly as sedating. At first clonazepam, like alprazolam, will knock you on your ***. However, for me anyhow, it is much easy to 'adjust' to and function with clonazepam. I also find it to work better for anxienty. Of course every person's body is different so what works for you may not be the same that works for me or others.

cuebald

Reaction score
Kava does work if you make the tea (the capsules are too weak), but it tastes like crap (this is subjective) and leaves a nasty aftertaste.

It is kinda nice and sedating, almost opiate like, I sometimes have some in the 'eve to chill out.
Best thing is that it's nice and legal :eek:)

Not a drink to drink in the morning (it would be like having a pint of beer for breakfast)

Kratom is also quite cool, reminds me of Tramadol. Beware that it is addictive, you build up a tolerance and go through withdrawal like a mild morphine withdrawal.

I'd still recommend to the OP to try exercise like Cassin suggested, and maybe see a doctor (try CBT?) before hitting any medicines. You can get CBT (which is like a psychiatrist changing your thought patterns, it works better than medicine for some people, not so well for others) for free on the NHS.

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
Dont know why Im bothering to post in an off topic thread but hey, guess I really have little to do at the moment !

What people have already said about cardio is basically the best advice, if you want to treat anxiety in a physical way then cardio is the best way to do that.

However IME, I had to go through some very stressful times, where I suffered from paranioa, panic attacks and general anxiety. I was told a technique that helped me get change my though process towards my fear and gave me tools to start afresh, and I succesfully became stronger.

Its not revolutionary advice by any means, in fact its quite simple, and I think its the simple advice that we often shrug off - in a modern technological age, ancient and simple ways to treat problems aren't really looked on as proper.

Anyway, this is what helped me; you have to go into your fear. For example 'Oh my god, I am worried that my heart is going to explode!'. In this case, you would say 'well, come on heart, explode!'

By doing this your fears evaporate. If you run from your fear, and try to 'combat' or overcome it then you will lose. You have to face your fear full on and accept it. Its only when you go into it and accept what ever fear you have when it evaporates. Same with baldness for example! Its only when you look into a mirror and can 'surrender' and accept when your worry about it goes. Not that its an overnight way to do it, its a long process, but its the only way.

I used to have a lot of fear, and I was a hypochondriac. It took me a while to gain more control of my mind, but in the end it was a lot simpler than I thought - the tools are so easy to use, you dont have to be that intelligent to face your fears. I remember the first time when I really implemented this tool. The fear of death and come into me - like a dark clowd covering a sky, and instantly I was overcome with fear and terror. But after a few seconds, I said 'alright then, lets die right now. Right this second! Come on, fear, you said I was going to die, so lets die!' and as soon as this happened, I begun to smile and was at ease and relaxed. I just was able to go with my fear, not to turn against it, but to accept my fear and what it was saying.

I highly recommend trying this. I enjoyed sharing this, I hope you can solve your anxiety like this !

Mane Man

Reaction score
Hey dude,

Have had anxiety previously. For me it was generally adrenal related.
Low cortisol would result in high adrenaline, and hypoglycemia. Also was low in vitamin D3 in winter.

Try diet free of high GI foods, good sleep, and supplement with B5, Vit C, B Complex -100, sea-salt, D3.

Dont know if it will work 4 you but did wonders 4 me!