I want shampoo with Piroctone Olamine

CCS

Reaction score
Micheal Berry posted a study showing it works just as good as keto. I want synergy. Putting zink on your head is bad, BTW.

Anyone know where I can buy the chemical or a shampoo that has it? http://www.newdirectionuk.com has a shampoo with it in it, and very gentil detergents. I just don't know the Piroctone Olamine concentration, and they don't respond to my emails, and there are a lot of essential oils in there too, which might burn. They also have a hair stimulant shampoo, which has cedar wood essential oil and other essential oils in it that I saw in a study. 500mL for $18.

I'm thinking that anti-septics that are non human toxic are good for fighting male pattern baldness, though anti-oxidant and anti-androgen properties are good too. So maybe tea tree oil is good. It is super cheap, easy, and good smelling. Just two drops in my shampoo and a big bottle is $10.

mattg817

Reaction score
Do you live in the U.S? I do, and I wanted to find a piroctone olamine shampoo I could rotate with Nizoral 1%. The only one I was able to find in a store is the Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo from the Body Shop. Only problem is, it doesn't list exactly how much is in it, but it's relatively close to the top of the ingredients list. If you are in Europe or Canada they should be relatively easy to find.

liquidfirex

Reaction score
"Forty-four ketoconazole users and forty-three zinc pyrithione users completed the 6 month study period. Analysis of the different parameters shows that the hair diameter gradually increases with chronic ketoconazole use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter shows a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%). The sebum excretion rate is reduced with ketoconazole (-6.54%) while it increases with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period is reduced by 16.46% with ketoconazole and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months. Finally, the percentage hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% and 8.4% respectively during the study time. Except for the percentage of hairs in anagen, which showed no difference between the two groups, all other parameters were significantly different in favor of the ketoconazole shampoo."

- http://www.hairlosshelp.com/html/nizoral1study.cfm

CCS

Reaction score
liquidfirex said:
"Forty-four ketoconazole users and forty-three zinc pyrithione users completed the 6 month study period. Analysis of the different parameters shows that the hair diameter gradually increases with chronic ketoconazole use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter shows a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%). The sebum excretion rate is reduced with ketoconazole (-6.54%) while it increases with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period is reduced by 16.46% with ketoconazole and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months. Finally, the percentage hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% and 8.4% respectively during the study time. Except for the percentage of hairs in anagen, which showed no difference between the two groups, all other parameters were significantly different in favor of the ketoconazole shampoo."

- http://www.hairlosshelp.com/html/nizoral1study.cfm

Nice, but that is not the one I remember reading. There is one that compared keto to zink and Piroctone Olamine. The keto and piro both did just as well for hair count and diameter. The zinc did not do well. keto and piro are second generation drugs that are non-toxic and non-inflammatory. Zinc is poisonous if swallowed, which is why they have a warning.

I'll look into the Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo from the Body Shop. I hope it does not have SLS, though. You should get shampoos with glucoside instead. Capric glucoside is the best.

CCS

Reaction score
Ingredients
Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone Propyl PG Betaine, Honey, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Salicylate, Methylparaben, Glycerin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Birch Bark, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Citral, Citronellol, Oakmoss, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol.

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS

T-Gel anti dandruff for greasy hair has got piroctone olamine, the others T-Gel just zinc pyrithione. T-gel is made by Neutrogena, which I think is part of Johnson and Johnson, US brand, you should be able to find it in the States, then.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ccs weren't you looking to create you're own shampoo?

CCS

Reaction score
Jacobo said:
CCS

T-Gel anti dandruff for greasy hair has got piroctone olamine, the others T-Gel just zinc pyrithione. T-gel is made by Neutrogena, which I think is part of Johnson and Johnson, US brand, you should be able to find it in the States, then.

thanks. I just hope it does not have SLS too. I wish I could just buy and mix my own ingredients.

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
SLS is not in the ingredients list of mine (Sodium Laureth Sulphate, innit?)
Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo greasy hair, that is the one I got with Piroctone Olamine and no SLS.

BTW, SLS is included in Nano Shampoo. If Dr Proctor is not worried about it, why should we? :)

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
I was posting about the benefits of Piroctone Olamine years ago!
Its finally catching up. LOL

However I have a different take on what *may* help people topically.

Regards
Pete

CCS

Reaction score
Pete said:
However I have a different take on what *may* help people topically.

I'm listening.

And I'm not making my own shampoo. I'm adding my own active ingredients to an existing shampoo.

My plan is to rotate on a 4 day cycle:
*the Ginger Piroctone Olamine shampoo (or maybe the Neutragena. I need to look into it). (proven)
*Nizoral 1% (proven)
*To baby shampoo, add 1% spironolactone, 0.75% vitamin C, 0.25% quecerin, 0.05% BHT (0.1g), B6, some propylene glycol, and a little retin-A. This is my acidic shampoo. It must be refridgerated, and only 1 oz taken out each week and kept in the bathroom. (doubles as face wash)
*To another baby shampoo bottle I will have 1% GTE, 1% apple poly, some propylene glycol, a few drops of tea tree oil, and 3 drops of rosemary oil. That is my near nuetral shampoo (pH 5.5 or higher). I might be adding 0.5% minoxidil to this. (can be used as a body wash and face wash only if no minoxidil in it)

CCS

Reaction score

kilgore

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
http://www.blushingbuyer.co.uk/Product/74/991016/bb/neutrogena-tgel-anti-dandruff-shampoo-greasy-250ml.html

costs less than the Ginger stuff, and it is known to have 1% piroctone olamine. At least someone said so.

CCS,
I think this is the european t/gel, there is no north american version of this I'm afraid. I'm also looking for a cheap, easy to find piroctone olamine based shampoo. Do you import this from the UK?

CCS

Reaction score
Have not yet bought it, but will. I know MooGoo does not ship to the US from australia. But that Ginger Shampoo with Piroctone Olamine does. I'll order the TGel today, and suspect that it ships to the USA too. Yes, I don't mind paying shipping. I think Shipping will be about $9.

CCS

Reaction score
shipping was $20. But the shampoo is like $15. I wish I could pay $20 shipping for that moogoo.

CCS

Reaction score

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is the one you really got to worry about. The Laureth is less than half as bad. But if you can get any kind of glucoside, which is a next generation foamer, that is better.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is the one you really got to worry about. The Laureth is less than half as bad. But if you can get any kind of glucoside, which is a next generation foamer, that is better.

Well at least H&S shampoo with Sodium Lauryl Sulphate helped my scalp itching a bit instead of increasing it. How come H&S would have something that only adds to the irritation?

CCS

Reaction score
considering that some sources say baby shampoo does not clean that well, I'm not so sure I want capric glucoside and these very non-irritating shampoos. I just have enough fear to stay away from the top two.