Is male pattern baldness Is The Worse Thing That Can Happen To A Young Man

IS male pattern baldness the worst thing to can happen to a young man?

• Total voters

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoy your posts as well Doctor! and, thank you!

as for IDwalker, I intended for you to suspect my ambitions to commence with harvesting your organs and... oh f*ck it man. Just come over and listen to some records. I promise I won't eat your kidneys or confine you to my crawl space.

Get some rest ol' boy,
We'll listen to your 78's
and maybe cut the rug another night
if your clever set -up still stands. :rolleyes:

Sweet Dreams

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
To Bucky(oh, and nameless too), with love I dedicate this video:

Last edited:
D

DBW

Within reason, I'd say yes, yes it is. I lost all my hair (NW6) just before my 20th birthday and whilst I certainly wouldn't consider it be on par with anything like blindness or cancer, the toll its taken has been severe. When my hair began to evaporate I became severely depressed, socially anxious and borderline sociopathic. I was lucky in many ways to have an incredibly supportive close friend and girlfriend at the time: without their interventions I would very likely not be here to post this today. The close friend is still with me, but the girlfriend jumped ship to Tinder when my hair loss became more aggressive. It was a combination of my declining mental health but also, she admitted, a loss of much of her physical attraction to me, that drove her away. Since then, I have tried a great number of treatments both for my depression and baldness, none with any success. In fact, rare side effects to these have left me facially disfigured and impotent. That's just a small sample of some of the trauma my hair loss has subjected me to over the last year or so. So yes, I do consider it one of the worst things that can happen to a young man. The fallout (no pun intended) from it can be devestating.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Within reason, I'd say yes, yes it is. I lost all my hair (NW6) just before my 20th birthday and whilst I certainly wouldn't consider it be on par with anything like blindness or cancer, the toll its taken has been severe. When my hair began to evaporate I became severely depressed, socially anxious and borderline sociopathic. I was lucky in many ways to have an incredibly supportive close friend and girlfriend at the time: without their interventions I would very likely not be here to post this today. The close friend is still with me, but the girlfriend jumped ship to Tinder when my hair loss became more aggressive. It was a combination of my declining mental health but also, she admitted, a loss of much of her physical attraction to me, that drove her away. Since then, I have tried a great number of treatments both for my depression and baldness, none with any success. In fact, rare side effects to these have left me facially disfigured and impotent. That's just a small sample of some of the trauma my hair loss has subjected me to over the last year or so. So yes, I do consider it one of the worst things that can happen to a young man. The fallout (no pun intended) from it can be devestating.
welcome to the mile high club of being one of the handful of fully bald posters here

norwood 6 here at your service lol. i was 20-21 same as you when it went fully. diffused in high school, sucked *** having ppl ask if i had cancer :/

sorry about the gf, ive never had a gf so in a way its made the impact easier

D

DBW

To be fair, it took her a while and she didn't specifically cite the hair loss as the source of it. The impact it had on our relationship was interesting. I was very upfront with her right when I first met her. I told her I was losing my hair, though it was barely visible at the time, and she wasn't bothered, in fact she found my honesty endearing. The issues arose when I made the decision to buzz it instead of continuing with the hairspray-dependent hatchet-job of a combover I'd begun sporting after the loss really started to show. Again, I'd given her plenty of warning in advance, but it did little to soften the blow. Her reaction upon seeing me was one of disgust and revulsion; she concealed it well but it was there. This would've been about our 5th date or something and we spent most of it in silence. I did my best to try and ward off the souring atmosphere, joking about my new hair do and trying to initiate some physical contact, but the warmth was gone. At the end of the date, I confronted the issue directly and apologised for cutting my hair so short. She actually responded well to this, laughed and ordered me (with tender reproachfulness!) to let it grow a little bit longer and kissed me. I managed to bring her round, but it took a lot of effort and charm to do so. My hairloss was actually not much of a problem between this date and when we started university together, the issues were more the result of its impact upon my behaviour and personality, as opposed to my appearance.

Before I go into any more detail on our relationship however, I should probably qualify all this with a bit of key context. Firstly, I was this girl's first boyfriend, her first 'love', her first everything actually. She hadn't even kissed a guy before me (which I still can't get my head round because she is now a professional model) and was therefore likely always going to be a heck of a lot more lenient than I'd imagine most girls would be. Secondly, she went to an all-girls school and didn't really know that many guys. Again, with little competition, I was always going to be allowed a bit more leeway. Thirdly, and most importantly, we got on incredibly well. I've never actually had such a connection with anyone before, to the extent that I can honestly say she was my best friend as well as my romantic partner. Given all this, I don't know how much can be extrapolated about the reactions of girls generally in response to such a drastic appearance change. My baldness certainly wasn't appreciated. I'd often catch her instinctively reaching for a forelock that just wasn't there when we were kissing and she even started researching treatment options, though this was just as much to try and lift my mood and support me as it was for her own benefit. As I've said, it was only really at university that it became a serious issue - and obviously, for most of that 5th date.

I'm happy to chart out the whole relationship, and its subsequent breakdown, if anyone's interested. It's relatively cathartic for me and could provide some useful insights into the damage which hairloss can do. I've also got a lot of advice I'd like to give people on how best to deal with it all, what I would have done differently etc. (and there's a lot).

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
To be fair, it took her a while and she didn't specifically cite the hair loss as the source of it. The impact it had on our relationship was interesting. I was very upfront with her right when I first met her. I told her I was losing my hair, though it was barely visible at the time, and she wasn't bothered, in fact she found my honesty endearing. The issues arose when I made the decision to buzz it instead of continuing with the hairspray-dependent hatchet-job of a combover I'd begun sporting after the loss really started to show. Again, I'd given her plenty of warning in advance, but it did little to soften the blow. Her reaction upon seeing me was one of disgust and revulsion; she concealed it well but it was there. This would've been about our 5th date or something and we spent most of it in silence. I did my best to try and ward off the souring atmosphere, joking about my new hair do and trying to initiate some physical contact, but the warmth was gone. At the end of the date, I confronted the issue directly and apologised for cutting my hair so short. She actually responded well to this, laughed and ordered me (with tender reproachfulness!) to let it grow a little bit longer and kissed me. I managed to bring her round, but it took a lot of effort and charm to do so. My hairloss was actually not much of a problem between this date and when we started university together, the issues were more the result of its impact upon my behaviour and personality, as opposed to my appearance.

Before I go into any more detail on our relationship however, I should probably qualify all this with a bit of key context. Firstly, I was this girl's first boyfriend, her first 'love', her first everything actually. She hadn't even kissed a guy before me (which I still can't get my head round because she is now a professional model) and was therefore likely always going to be a heck of a lot more lenient than I'd imagine most girls would be. Secondly, she went to an all-girls school and didn't really know that many guys. Again, with little competition, I was always going to be allowed a bit more leeway. Thirdly, and most importantly, we got on incredibly well. I've never actually had such a connection with anyone before, to the extent that I can honestly say she was my best friend as well as my romantic partner. Given all this, I don't know how much can be extrapolated about the reactions of girls generally in response to such a drastic appearance change. My baldness certainly wasn't appreciated. I'd often catch her instinctively reaching for a forelock that just wasn't there when we were kissing and she even started researching treatment options, though this was just as much to try and lift my mood and support me as it was for her own benefit. As I've said, it was only really at university that it became a serious issue - and obviously, for most of that 5th date.

I'm happy to chart out the whole relationship, and its subsequent breakdown, if anyone's interested. It's relatively cathartic for me and could provide some useful insights into the damage which hairloss can do. I've also got a lot of advice I'd like to give people on how best to deal with it all, what I would have done differently etc. (and there's a lot).

I'd love to hear more about this. Not trying to brag whatsoever but I'm lucky enough To have quite a good looking girlfriend. I'm also unlucky enough to be losing my hair very quickly and I'm worried how this is going to affect our relationship. Like you, not just with the physical attraction aspect, but with how it is affecting me. We have been together three years and she is a great girl but sometimes I think about giving her an out, telling her to leave me because I know I'm going to be bald by 30, 26 now and finasteride isn't helping and I can't get my hands on a script for dutasteride.

I also find myself thinking about leaving her, because she doesn't deserve to be in a relationship with someone she isn't attracted to. I know she is too good of a girlfriend to leave me for balding but I fear her resenting me.

It sucks

T

tellersquill

Hey, KO21, some women really don't mind hair loss that much. My best friend is married to a woman who told me that she would prefer him with hair but it doesn't really fuss her that much because she is attracted to him with or without hair.

Also, some women are into bald men.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, KO21, some women really don't mind hair loss that much. My best friend is married to a woman who told me that she would prefer him with hair but it doesn't really fuss her that much because she is attracted to him with or without hair.

Also, some women are into bald men.

Yeah, it's more of a personal thing I suppose, it's just so hard being young and losing hair fast.

The worst part of it all, I've been using concealer and she's been commenting lately how it looks like the finasteride is working , when really it's not and my hair is getting worse fast. Gunna have to come clean soon. It's scary.

I've went from Norwood 2.5 to a 3 within the past couple months. I don't know what's going on but it's accelerated like crazy.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
decent quality to post rate on this page

@DBW you have really bad things happened in your life, keep posting here, this forum helps to vent :)

D

DBW

decent quality to post rate on this page

@DBW you have really bad things happened in your life, keep posting here, this forum helps to vent :)

Not compared to people in Syria, child cancer sufferers and rape victims etc, but you're right, the last few years have been rough ones for me. Probably the most difficult thing about all of it is that many of my problems are genuinely solutionless. The likes of tquill and N003 may chose not to believe me, but I really have been trying to find some as well, obviously without luck. I'm just in the middle of making an extended post about my experiences on my own thread. It'd be great if you guys could read it abs give your thoughts and advice (including tquill and others) :)

T

tellersquill

DBW, I wish you the best of luck no matter what happens.

I think what seems to be common on these boards is that a lot of the people who struggle to deal with it are those who lost a lot of hair quickly before the age of 21. And I admit that must be tough.

The reason I argue against having a pity party though is because it serves no positive outcome. It literally helps nobody. All we can do is focus on the things we can change and try to make the most out of life. Because the alternative is depression and a life not lived and none of us want that.