ITCH STATUS : GONE

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you, but I think your attitude sounds much better than mine. I haven't posted on HerAlopecia in ages; I rarely visit either. It's the same old thing there, and you're only allowed to be just so negative. There's much more information here and freedom to express yourself on any and everything. I'm glad you ended up here too. You're intelligent and an asset. Androgenetic Alopecia in men and women runs on both sides of my family, so that bullet just could not be dodged. I started 25 mgs. of spironolactone in September and increased to 50 mgs. about two months ago. In the last few weeks, I've noticed stomach bloat, and when I weighed myself last week, I had gained about five pounds. Unacceptable! For a week and a half, I've been eating very little, and I cannot lose the weight. I stopped the spironolactone last week because I read about a lot of women who experienced the same thing while taking it. I have never had a problem losing a few pounds here and there, until now. Fat is not an option for me, so we'll see if the spironolactone was the culprit. I'm not in a wig yet, but I know that day is coming soon.

I do hope your treatments work for you, even if it's just maintaining what you have or slowing things down dramatically. :)

Hey Joan, I had a similar problem when I was taking Propecia (amidst several other problems). I developed excess body fat despite doing more jogging and cardio than I had in over a decade. I knew it was a result of the drug.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Joan, I had a similar problem when I was taking Propecia (amidst several other problems). I developed excess body fat despite doing more jogging and cardio than I had in over a decade. I knew it was a result of the drug.

I remember you mentioned that you had sides. How long were you on finasteride, and how long after stopping it did it take for you to lose the weight? As you well know, even five pounds on a slim body looks pronounced, especially when it's all in the midsection.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember you mentioned that you had sides. How long were you on finasteride, and how long after stopping it did it take for you to lose the weight? As you well know, even five pounds on a slim body looks pronounced, especially when it's all in the midsection.

Hey Joan, I would say that it took about 6 months before all of that excess belly fat subsided. Maybe I'll PM you the rest of my full story since I feel uncomfortable sharing it in front of everyone. Ironically though, I started running because I thought at the time that the sweating and healthy lifestyle actually made my hair look fuller.

So how is your son handling finasteride? I feel terribly for him that he has to suffer from hair loss at such a young age. Although I suffered from side effects (and I believe the low side effect ratio that Merck proposes is completely false), I see plenty of people on here who got on finasteride and it helped them tremendously (and they did not experience side effects).

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, six months--yikes! Well, I've read about women who never lost the weight, so I guess I need to be patient, if that's indeed the reason for the weight gain. Yes, I'd really be interested in hearing your full story.

Thank you for asking about my son. I checked with him last week (via an email I sent him of a "very specific" HairLossTalk.com thread on sides, since it'd be weird for both of us to discuss that face to face), and he said all's well--but I know things can change at any time.