KapHow's Story - (24/ losing hair for 5 years)

KapHow

Reaction score
I'm 24 years old now and have been losing my hair for the past 5 years. I used to have a nice thick head of hair as a teenager and until I was 19 I never thought I would have to worry about it. My dad's head is very thick and he's nearly 60.

I think I'm a fairly attractive guy but lately I can barely even look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted at my hair. Everyone tells me that it's no big deal and just deal with who I am. But I have long hair and I love my long hair and I refuse to cut it short to deal with this. The only reason I would cut my hair much would be in the event I have a hair transplant which I would consider if I had the money. I am an artist and struggling with money as it is.

I feel like women don't look at me the same way because of my hair. Despite my younger face, people have told me before how much older they assume I am because of my hair, which has been going on for years. I've started to use Toppik recently which helps the top of my head but does nothing for my receding hairline.

I'm going in for a consultation with Bosley to see what they suggest. Does anyone know how it works financially? If there is a way to pay in installments or how long and how much would it cost to pay over time. Or any other suggestions for treatments to use? I've been very depressed for the past few months and I'm only feeling worse every day I have to look in the mirror.

photo34y.jpg

SunOfABeach

Reaction score
1. Cut that sh** !!!

2. Before you consider a transplant, get on finasteride and minoxidil and use it for at least a year. The generic stuff is cheap.

Good luck.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks rather far gone. You are a NW5 I think. Meds may help you maintain what you have.

As for hair transplant, I would suggest you search around carefully before deciding on a doctor. Hair transplant is permanent and a bad job will make you feel even worse.

KapHow

Reaction score
SunOfABeach - I've had bad side-effects from meds before that had to be corrected surgically, so I stay away from medications like Propecia due to doctor's suggestion. Also, of course I took a picture of my hair at its worst to demonstrate my issue. It doesn't look as bad as this normally and doesn't look as bad after it's brushed. I am very dependent on my hair for my personal confidence. I love to have long hair and I love the look of long hair. Don't tell me to cut it just because you don't like the style.

Vanzzzz-Thank you for your input. I'm not looking for medication as much as I would like to for the aforementioned reason. I have an appointment to consult with Bosley but that was an impulse to go to them for a consultation and I've gone onto "International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons" to look for a doctor. I have just contacted Dr. Pistone for an online consultation.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
It is good that you are searching around. However, most hair transplant doctors may require you to take medication anyway. To prevent further hair loss behind your hair transplant.

joshua88

Established Member
Reaction score
KapHow said:
SunOfABeach - I've had bad side-effects from meds before that had to be corrected surgically, so I stay away from medications like Propecia due to doctor's suggestion.

I don't know how seriously you will take this, but if you give up on propecia, you give up on your hair. It's as simple as that. You could try with a small dose, which will make a big difference on your DHT levels all the same.

If you are going to stay away from propecia, then get a wig, because DHT will continue to ravage mercilessly what's left of your hair.

PD: By the way, I presume we're talking about gyno here. I think with a smaller dose you might not experience it again. If I were you, I'd take the risk, because my hair is well worth the risk.

SunOfABeach

Reaction score
KapHow said:
Also, of course I took a picture of my hair at its worst to demonstrate my issue. It doesn't look as bad as this normally and doesn't look as bad after it's brushed. I am very dependent on my hair for my personal confidence. I love to have long hair and I love the look of long hair. Don't tell me to cut it just because you don't like the style.

It´s not that i don´t like the style, I used to have long hair too and i loved it. It looked at it as my identity and part of my personality, that´s why i kept it long even with diffuse thinning, which looked ridiculous of course.

There are times when you have to let go. This hairstyle will only emphasise your hairloss and make you look older than you are.

And no woman wants to see this. Sry bro.

grumps

Reaction score
Okay it's time for some tough love (and i do mean love) - keeping your hair long is not a good look on you my friend, it's reached the stage now where you MUST keep it short and tidy.

Basically what i'm saying is although you love your hair long, it doesn't do you justice anymore like it used to. I know it's hard to hear and you might think i'm being nasty but i promise i'm not, and i honestly think that if you picked a shorter style you would feel a lot more confident and look a lot more stylish.

Of course, this is only my opinion and you can choose to wave it if you want - you just have to do whatever makes you happy (but i think my suggest will leave you suprised if you take my advice)

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks like you would probably look good with a tan and a shaved head/buzzcut. Your hair is quite thin on top, kinda like mine was a few months ago. I stopped using Rogaine a few months ago and started shaving my head and I have lost a lot more hair since I stopped the Rogaine.

Long hair + thin hair will make you look much older than you are. If you shave it, you will have a renewed, youthful look!

Can we see more camera angles of your head to see how bad it is and to see your head shape?

KapHow

Reaction score
Now the problem with short or shaved head is I personally don't think I have a good head shape for it. I feel like I have bumps on my head here and there from getting banged up and also I have a large scar down the back of my head from brain surgery when I was a teenager. I feel like the only way to hide the scar is medium length hair or longer, though I personally much prefer longer cut.

I have been thinking of cutting it down to shoulder length lately and donating the rest. But I dont know how it would look shoulder length or what kind of styling I could use. At least with a longer style I can put it in a pony tail to look presentable.

I don't think that was being nasty grumps, it was being honest and giving me your opinion and I do take the opinion to heart from people who have gone through this before and appreciate when they are said without being rude.

Pardon the slouch, its hard to take photos from this angle on my computers camera...
photo40s.jpg

photo41o.jpg

KapHow

Reaction score
So I went for a consultation at Bosley. She loved my hair but said its one of the more severe hair loss she had seen from someone my age. NW5a going on NW6. Which in the end is going to cost between 11k-16k which is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

I've started to doubt getting a hair cut too only because i don't know if I have enough hair to pull off a shoulder length cut unless I leave enough to keep a ponytail. Again, buzz cut isn't an option for me really because of my scar.

Also, the Toppik I use when I go out works really well to hide the top of my head, so until I run out of hair to use it on, I'm not too worried about that.
The left is without Toppik, the right is with...
haircompare.jpg

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
In the very first photo, your hair looks very sparse and my first reaction is that it needs to be cut and something must be done!

BUT - in the later photos with the tie-dyed shirt, your look does not look that bad. The pics are taken from below so its a little hard to tell but I think if I saw you on the street I probably wouldn't think twice or be phased by your hair loss. You're a guy with a pony tail who has thinning hair. It's not as if it's an eye-sore or anything.

grumps

Reaction score
I personally think you could pull off a 'shaved' look with the face fuzz - would look kinda badass!

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah shame you have a scar because you completely have the facial hair to suit a shaved head.

KapHow

Reaction score
captain_que said:
BornIn89 said:
Yeah shame you have a scar because you completely have the facial hair to suit a shaved head.

who cares?

chicks dig scars!

If it had a cool story attached it would be one thing, but a disorder that required brain surgery is hardly sexy :sad:

Nene

Reaction score
I've actually worried about one day getting a brain tumor as if I go bald I won't be able to cover the scar. That sucks, but I don't think you have a bad head shape.