KapHow's Story - (24/ losing hair for 5 years)

KapHow

Reaction score
Nene said:
Also, don't even consider getting work done with Bosley.

I don't plan on it. It all sounds good on paper and sounds good coming from the salesperson, but that's all it is, a sale. Unfortunately I know that it will cost twice as much to go to someone qualified and I would barely be able to afford this. :thumbdown2:

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're a NW5 or NW6 now and you're only 24, its only gonna be worse when you're 30. There's no way a hair transplant can put enough hairs on your head to cover the whole area, could they? Can NW6's get hair transplants?

I have some scars on my head. I just ignore them. Noone really says anything. Depending on how bad your scar is, I would consider shaving it. If you aren't comfortable shaving it then don't. I was a hermit for the first few months I shaved it.

KapHow

Reaction score
At least Bosley says they can do transplants for anyone who still has enough hair along the back and sides of their head. But for more severe cases, you have to be realistic about the outcome. Meaning, don't expect a full head of thick hair if you start with nothing, but you can come out still with something.

My scar is a straight vertical scar about 3.5-4 inches running around the middle of the back of my head down to my neck. I have no idea what it looks like nowadays as I've had long hair since my surgery. I don't really wanna risk the look because once I cut my hair, I'm stuck with it until it would grow back.

Also, I really like how my hair looks in a bandana when its long. I wear a lot of tie dye so I can get away with a bandana usually.

This pic was taken a couple years ago, but this is the look I have a lot when I'm not wearing a pony tail...
bandana.jpg

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are gonna hit Norwood 6 or 7, transplant should not be done. You will end up with very sparse hair across your entire head. Not sure if that is better than balding.

KapHow

Reaction score
Well, I just donated 11 inches of my hair yesterday. I feel like it looks horrible but people say I look okay. I'm just so used to my old hair, it feels really weird to just have it all gone after growing it out for 6 years. I still have medium length though, so I can tie it back. My stylist agreed because of my scar I should have a little length and be able to tie it back.

Then I was shaving and I coughed and cut off half my goatee and ended up shaving off everything... I haven't seen my chin in 7 years! I barely recognize myself anymore :ermm:

20100611105633.jpg

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You look good man (no :gay: ) just shave it all off.... as for the scar, i say give the shaved look a go, if you like it then keep it, if you like it but the scar is the only reason you dont shave, then you might talk with a dermatologist to get that fixed somehow. and if you dont like it all you can always grow it back...

anyway, you should eas with the hair transplant idea, some of the guys on here that gave you advice regarding the hair transplant, know more then most doctors and will give you much much better advice regarding it then a Bosley sales-woman...

Jersey

Reaction score
Think you made the right decision to go with the new look. I have long hair too and started on finasteride and Minoxidil about 3 months ago. I am not in your situation quite yet, but I know that my hair looks kind of funny because of the thinning. So far, the meds are starting to work and I am going to give it some time before I decide to cut my hair short. I absolutely understand why you want to keep your long hair. I had long hair since just after high school. When I was your age, I used to wear it in braids and it kind of becomes a part of who you are. I think part of wanting to keep it long is that we don't want to let hair loss win. However, there comes a point when we have to be realistic about our options and I think in your situation, you did the right thing. I hope things work out for you and good luck in the future!

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Why can't this guy do a transplant? Couldn't he do one in between his excisting hair? Sure he'll end up with more than he has now right?

@ OP, since how long have you been taking medications? I'm 19 at the moment, and experience slight diffuse thinning and quite some receding in the hairline. Just to figure out what my chances for survival are...

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
deadlocks said:
Why can't this guy do a transplant? Couldn't he do one in between his excisting hair? Sure he'll end up with more than he has now right

The only issue I see with getting a hair transplant is the scar. If he is dedicated to the fight and knows for sure he will never shave his head then yea, a hair transplant would be great. I was fighting from age 19 to 24 and then decided to shave it all off. I'm glad I never got a hair transplant because if I did I would have a happy face scar ear to ear on the back of my head. Either that or I would have countless red dots (it depends on the hair transplant method right?)

Anyone else care to comment on it? That's just my $0.02.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
sandovalusa said:
deadlocks said:
Why can't this guy do a transplant? Couldn't he do one in between his excisting hair? Sure he'll end up with more than he has now right

The only issue I see with getting a hair transplant is the scar. If he is dedicated to the fight and knows for sure he will never shave his head then yea, a hair transplant would be great. I was fighting from age 19 to 24 and then decided to shave it all off. I'm glad I never got a hair transplant because if I did I would have a happy face scar ear to ear on the back of my head. Either that or I would have countless red dots (it depends on the hair transplant method right?)

Anyone else care to comment on it? That's just my $0.02.

You know that there are 2 methods for hair transplants right? A scar isn't always needed, as you have FUT, and FUE techniques. FUE (without scar) is a newer technique though, so it's not unexpected you wouldn't know about it.

And aren't hairtransplants just for those people who will never shave their heads? Really, what's the point in transplanting if you don't want to have hair anyways? :laugh: I mean, I wouldn't even take medication if I was ok with a bare head.

EDIT: Oh, I mis-read your post I believe. But is it true then? That you'll have red spots for hair when you shave it all off after doing a FUE transplant? Why is that?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I hate to say it dude but you're probably going to have to shave it. I think you'd look fine that way despite your objections so far.

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
deadlocks said:
And aren't hairtransplants just for those people who will never shave their heads? Really, what's the point in transplanting if you don't want to have hair anyways? :laugh: I mean, I wouldn't even take medication if I was ok with a bare head.

No. Medication and hair transplants aren't just for people who will never shave their heads. For me, medication was great for 4 years. After 4 years the hair loss got so severe that shaving was right for me.

If I had gotten a hair transplant when I was 20 then I would have looked good for a few years but I would look horrible today. Practically the only hair left on top of my head would be the transplanted hairs! That would look hilarious. I want KapHow to think about the long run and whether a hair transplant is right for him or not.

deadlocks said:
EDIT: Oh, I mis-read your post I believe. But is it true then? That you'll have red spots for hair when you shave it all off after doing a FUE transplant? Why is that?

I was under the impression FUE left dot scars but the other method left a big strip scar. I haven't done much research so take these words with a grain of salt.