KGF Serum

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently come across this "Hair Serum" with KGF(Keratinocyte Growth Factor) activator in it from SkinActives for $51.
I have read some forum posts of users who claim to have success with it so I decided why not.

I don't have a camera so I cannot take pics at the moment. I am using a once a day application after showering and immediately massaging into the scalp (temple and vertex). The serum is kind of a brown goo and has to be refrigerated for the KGF to activate properly. Currently I am using a minoxidil dropper to stir the mix and then apply to the scalp.

On top of this my regimen consists of the following:

1.25mg Generic Proscar Daily
5% Kirkland minoxidil Twice a day
Saw Palmetto - 200mg a day
Niacin - 1g every other day
MSM - 875 mg
Vitamin C - 100mg
Green Tea Extract - 500 mg
Biotin - 5000 mcg

Current Baldness Pattern: Diffuse
Current Norwood Scale: About 3.5-4.0

Current Diet Consists of:

Breakfast: Cigarettes + soda
Lunch : Cigarettes + old pizza
Dinner: More pizza + soda

Exercise Consists of:

Wii Boxing
Pushups/Situps

I believe I currently have Telogen Effluvium on top of male pattern baldness because I have had a severe bout of depression for the past 6 months which has led to very poor diet and exercise (I also started smoking heavily). Since the onset my hair has been extremely thin and fragile and is falling out in large numbers - the hairs are very thin and have a white bulb at the end. I never experienced this before 6 months ago.

If I see success in a few months after my health changes I will not attribute any gains to the serum unless I see hair growth in the temple area where there was none before 6 months ago. If see any substantial growth during my recovery I will note it as well.

I'll make any updates to my diet/exercise patterns, with any difference in hair quality noted.

Will let you all know how it goes.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
If you think vitamin C will help, you could safely increase the dosage. I take 500 mg per day, but not to grow hair. I know many people take several grams per day.

MSM is useless; besides, your dose is pretty low. Not to suggest that increasing it will make any difference. I'd spend the money on something else. Biotin does nothing either, unless you're deficient (then again, with the diet you've described, you might be the first person who actually is). I'd add Nizoral to the regime.

How on earth do you manage 1g of niacin every other day? I mean the niacin flushes.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
How on earth do you manage 1g of niacin every other day? I mean the niacin flushes.

I actually like the niacin flushes because I have bad circulation and it makes me feel warm. Anyway, if you take them with meals and about a week and a half after taking them - they go away.

I have read your conclusions about MSM and Biotin. I would say for sure that Biotin would have a reaction only in recipients who have a rare deficiency, however I thought I would give it a try anyway as my hair seems to be falling out unnaturally. MSM on the other hand, I would agree with your assertion according to the study conducted on the blog as it seems to be biased towards the LIGNISUL MSM product. I also trust your personal experiment.

I have been using the above mentioned routine for approximately three weeks now and have noticed a sharp increase in shedding immediately most likely due to rubbing my hair with minoxidil. On the other hand I have noticed that my hair is in fact a little 'rougher' and not as thin as it was even though it is still sparse in many areas. It's hard to say whether this is attributed to any supplements I'm taking. I have adjusted my diet for the period this week to include a variety of meals. However, I feel it's far too early to assume that this change is what's causing my hair to become slightly healthier.

On the other hand my hair has grown back from a previous haircut at a much faster rate. I would attribute this to the MSM but still I am unsure due to the previous studies. It's possible the green tea extract and SP are doing something.

On another note, since I've been using the KGF serum I have noticed a sharp decrease in oil buildup on my scalp. It's much more clean now - at least after I use the serum.

As far as new hair growth - none to be seen yet.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Update*

- Dropped cigarettes completely.
- 4-5 Meals per day of healthy stuff, mostly veggies/fish/ fruit
- Dropped all vitamins (they aren't doing sh*t), except niacin
- Maintain minoxidil foam, 1.25mg finasteride, and once day application of KGF serum
- Added Olive Oil to routine starting today
- Added Aerobic Exercise to routine starting today

I have been using the KGF serum religiously on the temple area and I am noticing hairs sprouting up along the temple. these are not tiny blonde hairs but dark hairs.

I am still shedding hairs but not like before when I was smoking.

Does anyone know if you have a bunch of these tiny blonde hairs does that mean the follicle is still alive and able to be rejuvenated? I have these all over the scalp.

ethan

Reaction score
Hey man,

Just wondering what KGF serum you use?

There's one on the skinactives site that is for hair specifically, which looks good and I am thinking of buying.

Cheers.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
simbolx,

why dont you use a "keto" and or Piroctone Olamine shampoo? that would handle your oil-sebum scalp problem besides having an antiinflamatory effect...plus their regrowth actions.

In regards to supps and diet, have you looked into Omega3? there are various studies that relate them to having a very positive effect on mood disorders including depression. It is a potent anti-inflamatory as well which is good for skin/scalp:

http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/fish-oil-to-treat-depressio

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Ethan,

I have been using that one from skinactives. I'm not sure if that's what's working but it def. seems like it. I have also been using minoxidil on the temples so its possible that's working as well. Doesn't hurt to try though, it's not too expensive. I only have been using these things for like one month now, and that is quite impressive that i'm already seeing temple growth. That's a good sign for more things to come.

As far as the shampoo i'm not real interested at this time. I already have a bunch of goop going into my hair as it is. So i'm done adding things to my routine.

As far as omega 3 supps, i already eat a lot of fish regularly in my diet so i don't think it's necessary. I eat at least one filet of salmon every few days. The other day I had some mako shark which will fill you up nicely as well. Ive read somewhere that fish can impact hair, so maybe all of this is having a synergistic effect. Hard to say.

devilsrule2004

Reaction score
wow this looks good..
sbiggrin.gif
does this stuff smell bad?

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
wow this looks good.. does this stuff smell bad?

Yeah it smells kind of funky. It's alright though. I just put it in my hair once a day at night when no one can notice ;).

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Seeing some solid temple growth. Has to be the serum. I have been using it religiously on the temples but not the middle or back. Have seen excellent results on temples including hairs growing that have not been there in years. In the middle and back not much regrowth. Here's a pic, taken from my camera phone low res, sorry. Hopefully it's a baseline for future pics from a better camera.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6383/0413092028.jpg

ethan

Reaction score
symbolx said:
Ethan,

I have been using that one from skinactives. I'm not sure if that's what's working but it def. seems like it. I have also been using minoxidil on the temples so its possible that's working as well. Doesn't hurt to try though, it's not too expensive. I only have been using these things for like one month now, and that is quite impressive that i'm already seeing temple growth. That's a good sign for more things to come.

Thanks for the reply symbolx! I think I'm gonna purchase.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
This stuff continues to work on the temples - I am seeing small dark hairs sprout up all over. I have seen at least a 3/4" improvement in temple regrowth in the last month alone - noted that density is not yet like the rest of the head. I had lost about 3 inches of hair in the temple area. I am also seeing improvement in the middle section now. At this rate I estimate about 4 months before I see total temple regrowth - that assuming we are seeing linear progression. Worst case scenario it could take a full year to see the temple area rejuvenated.

Unfortunately, I am still losing hairs in the back although at a reduced amount. This stuff appears to not be as effective in the vertex area. Either that or I am struggling with that area of my hair right now (could it be the minoxidil foam interfering?). I was shedding a lot of these hairs in the back for a long time, and have not been able to stop shedding them completely.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Ethan have you started using this stuff yet. If so, let us know by posting any comments here. So far I am still gaining growth on temples and shedding in the back. Hair is getting more volume. Tiny hairs on temple are taking awhile to grow in, but it's coming. I give it about 5 months or so.

G

Hey symbolx, continue to keep us updated, this sounds interesting!

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Well update to my thread.
So far temples are still coming in slowly.
I have abandoned finasteride for good now. Apparenly I'm growing tits and my sperm count is extremely low, and im suffering from impotence, and I grew eyelashes. Seriously f*** this drug. Never using it again. I hope to god I recover from the side effects.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Update

Recovering from finasteride side effects. Started taking zinc supplements as suggested by someone else on the forum. Seems to be working. Hair did not suffer any major damage.

Still using KGF serum and minoxidil. Temples are still recovering well.
Will give a final update when they are filled in which should still be a few months off.

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
Lash product-$9.50

Distilled water, sea kelp bioferment, L-acetyl carnitine, niacinamide, soy isoflavones, saw palmetto, grape seed proanthocyanidins, coconut endosperm, chrysin, nettle extract, L-arginine, L-glutamine, glucose, Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF), superoxide dismutase, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben (and) Propylparaben

Hair care serum-$45.00

Distilled Water, Sea Kelp Bioferment, L-Acetyl Carnitine, Niacinamide, Soy Isoflavones, Saw Palmetto, Grape Seed Proanthocyanidins, Coconut Endosperm, Chrysin, Nettle Extract, L-Arginine, L-Glutamine, Glucose, Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF), Superoxide Dismutase, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben (and) Propylparaben

--------------------

I guess you could consider the lash product at Skinactives a trial size of the hair serum. I bought the lash gimmick a while back but never really used it. I went through a phase of getting the KGF BT and making my own little serum but eventually couldn't get past the fact that the KGF probably isn't passing through the skin due to its molecular size.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Where can I buy this serum? Any links?

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
I went through a phase of getting the KGF BT and making my own little serum but eventually couldn't get past the fact that the KGF probably isn't passing through the skin due to its molecular size.

Hm that's interesting. I'm not real knowledgeable in this realm, but if that's the case I'd imagine some other ingredient is having an effect then. Perhaps its the sea kelp bioferment or soy isoflavones or the combination of other ingredients.