Latisse

bababooey

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there were some discussions on this but I couldnt find..

Is anyone trying bimatoprost aka latisse aka lumigan?
I am very tempted to get lumigan and testing it on thin spot near the thinning lobes in the front. minoxidil isnt cutting it and I think it is causing me to have sinus problems...

Now, to find a doctor who will prescribe it to me :shakehead:
Latisse is too expensive, Lumigan I can get for free with my insurance.

bababooey

Established Member
Reaction score
So, there are a few families of this glaucoma drug that has a side effect of increased eye lashes.

Bimatoprost (Latisse, Lumigan)
Latanoprost (Xalatan)
Travoprost (Travatan)

They all list thickening eye lashes as a side effect.

Since Bimatoprost is the first one being sold as eyelash drug, I'll try to get a scrip for Lumigan since its cheaper.

Funny thing is, I cant seem to find the % solution information of Latisse. Lumigan lists it as 0.03% bimatoprost, I bet its the same dose.
Can anyone here find the info and put up the link?

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I am surprised nobody is giving this a shot. Considering the side effects of minoxidil for some, you would think there would be more interest. If I can get a hold of this, I give it a 6 month trial.

bababooey

Established Member
Reaction score
OK so I finally received the Bimatoprost from alldaychemist.com.
I was being skeptical since placing order since it only cost $10 a bottle(I ordered 3)
and I read somewhere that fake drugs were rampant..

I inspected the packaging very carefully and it looks pretty legit.
Unless it is an elaborate Bimatoprost selling scheme.. i would believe it.

Imma try it on a spot of my thinning area and see wat happens :dunno:

bababooey

Established Member
Reaction score
thread bump / update

Otis, I am using it on my front right region where it is thinning.
about 3 drops on the spot per day.
these 3ml bottles is too little for daily use all over the scalp.
so right now I will just use it on a small area.

roi

Reaction score
careprost (generic bimatoprost) tablet form

Hi everyone!i was searching a lot to find places that sell bimatoprost in a tablet form and i found two..its careprost(generic bimatoprost) and much cheaper and i am thinking of making a topical with the tablets..
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:MP ... clnk&gl=gr

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Bk ... clnk&gl=gr

also i read this one: Scientists stumbled on the hair thickening properties of prostaglandin F 2? analogs while researching their use as an intraocular pressure (IOP)-lowering drug for use in patients with glaucoma and ocular hypertension. Prostaglandin F 2? analogs have the following general chemical structure wherein the dashed bonds represent a single or double bond which can be in the cis or trans configuration:

For example, latanoprost [(1R, 2R, 3R, 5S)3,5-dihydroxy-2-[(3R)-3-hydroxy-5-phenylpentyl]cyclopenty l]-5-heptenoate], marketed by Pfizer as Xalatan® is a prostaglandin analog in which R is H, B is —CH 2 —, n is 0, X is OCH(CH 3 ) 2 , and the dashed bonds represent a double bond. See U.S. Pat. No. 6,262,105, issued to Johnstone. Although Johnstone reported the stimulating effect of this drug on eyebrow and eyelash hair growth and pigmentation, Latanoprost works poorly on eyelashes.

Another example, is bimatoprost (cyclopentane N-ethyl heptenamide-5-cis-2-(3?-hydroxy-5-phenyl-1-trans-pentenyl)- 3,4-dihydroxy, [1 ? , 2 ? , 3 ? , 5 ? ], sold by Allergan, Inc. of Irvine, Calif. as Lumigan®, a 0.03% ophthalmic solution for treating glaucoma. Bimatoprost is a prostaglandin analog in which R is H, B is —CH 2 —, n is 0, X is NHC 2 H 5 and the dashed bonds represent a double bond (U.S. Published Application No. 2003/0147823). Bimatoprost, which also has been found effective to increase the growth of eyelashes when applied in the FDA approved manner, dissolves best for use on eyelashes but has negative side effects, such as, for example, redness and discoloration along the periocular skin; eye irritation; and foreign body sensation. In addition, bimtoprost has the highest incidence of hyperemia.

Another synthetic prostaglandin analog used for treatment of glaucoma is isopropyl (Z)-7-[(1 R ,2 R ,3 R ,5 S )-3,5-dihydroxy-2-[(1 E ,3 R )-3-hydroxy-4-[(?,?,?-trifluoro-m-tolyl)oxy]-1-butenyl]cy clopentyl]-5-heptenoate, or Travaprost (TRAVATAN® Alcon), which is available as a 0.004% ophthalmic solution. Travoprost is a prostaglandin analog in which R is H, B is O, Y is CF 3 , X is OCH(CH 3 ) 2 , and the dashed bonds represent a double bond. Travaprost does not work well for eyelash growth, taking longer than other like products.

Therefore it is an object of the present invention to provide prostaglandin analogs that will promote appropriate hair growth when applied topically to subjects in need thereof without causing significant undesirable side effects.

it says that travoprost and latanoprost dont work for eyelash growth..for latanoprost i read also about a study that happened for eyelash growth which 26 people applied latanoprost to their eyelashes and only one showed some results.. thats why i tried to find bimatoprost cause also dr bauman tested it but he said that they need to been done trials in higher concetrations...

your opinions please..

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bababooey,

any update on your experiment with bimatoprost?

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: careprost (generic bimatoprost) tablet form

roi said:
Hi everyone!i was searching a lot to find places that sell bimatoprost in a tablet form and i found two..its careprost(generic bimatoprost) and much cheaper and i am thinking of making a topical with the tablets..
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:MP ... clnk&gl=gr

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Bk ... clnk&gl=gr

also i read this one: Scientists stumbled on the hair thickening properties of prostaglandin F 2? analogs while researching their use as an intraocular pressure (IOP)-lowering drug for use in patients with glaucoma and ocular hypertension. Prostaglandin F 2? analogs have the following general chemical structure wherein the dashed bonds represent a single or double bond which can be in the cis or trans configuration:

For example, latanoprost [(1R, 2R, 3R, 5S)3,5-dihydroxy-2-[(3R)-3-hydroxy-5-phenylpentyl]cyclopenty l]-5-heptenoate], marketed by Pfizer as Xalatan® is a prostaglandin analog in which R is H, B is —CH 2 —, n is 0, X is OCH(CH 3 ) 2 , and the dashed bonds represent a double bond. See U.S. Pat. No. 6,262,105, issued to Johnstone. Although Johnstone reported the stimulating effect of this drug on eyebrow and eyelash hair growth and pigmentation, Latanoprost works poorly on eyelashes.

Another example, is bimatoprost (cyclopentane N-ethyl heptenamide-5-cis-2-(3?-hydroxy-5-phenyl-1-trans-pentenyl)- 3,4-dihydroxy, [1 ? , 2 ? , 3 ? , 5 ? ], sold by Allergan, Inc. of Irvine, Calif. as Lumigan®, a 0.03% ophthalmic solution for treating glaucoma. Bimatoprost is a prostaglandin analog in which R is H, B is —CH 2 —, n is 0, X is NHC 2 H 5 and the dashed bonds represent a double bond (U.S. Published Application No. 2003/0147823). Bimatoprost, which also has been found effective to increase the growth of eyelashes when applied in the FDA approved manner, dissolves best for use on eyelashes but has negative side effects, such as, for example, redness and discoloration along the periocular skin; eye irritation; and foreign body sensation. In addition, bimtoprost has the highest incidence of hyperemia.

Another synthetic prostaglandin analog used for treatment of glaucoma is isopropyl (Z)-7-[(1 R ,2 R ,3 R ,5 S )-3,5-dihydroxy-2-[(1 E ,3 R )-3-hydroxy-4-[(?,?,?-trifluoro-m-tolyl)oxy]-1-butenyl]cy clopentyl]-5-heptenoate, or Travaprost (TRAVATAN® Alcon), which is available as a 0.004% ophthalmic solution. Travoprost is a prostaglandin analog in which R is H, B is O, Y is CF 3 , X is OCH(CH 3 ) 2 , and the dashed bonds represent a double bond. Travaprost does not work well for eyelash growth, taking longer than other like products.

Therefore it is an object of the present invention to provide prostaglandin analogs that will promote appropriate hair growth when applied topically to subjects in need thereof without causing significant undesirable side effects.

it says that travoprost and latanoprost dont work for eyelash growth..for latanoprost i read also about a study that happened for eyelash growth which 26 people applied latanoprost to their eyelashes and only one showed some results.. thats why i tried to find bimatoprost cause also dr bauman tested it but he said that they need to been done trials in higher concetrations...

your opinions please..
So, the Lumigan would have the basic same side effects, or potential side effects of minoxidil- rapid heartbeat, lowered blood pressure, etc? What a drag. I thought this would be an alternative, but it sounds like a "me to!" drug.

I have naturally low blood pressure, and minoxidil gives me a rapid heart beat after a while. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this do the same?

roi

Reaction score
it deppends on each person actually..personally i have tried minoxidil 3 times for a short of time and the first time a had the rapid heartbeat u are saying the second i didnt had the rapid heartbeat but i had irritation and the third time i tried it i didnt had anything...also all the drugs have side effects for some people thats why they are called drugs..the point is when u are using something if u experience any side effects these side effects to be reversible when u discontinue..the good thing of minoxidil for example is that if u experience any side effects u stop it and the side effects stop too..

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone else can help me out here? No offense, but I am confused by Roi's answer. Does Bimaprost lower blood pressure?

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to join in here because I am quite excited about this drug. I hesitate to share this online because I like to stay anonymous, but I was recently recruited for a clinical trial testing Bimatoprost for male pattern baldness. Unfortunately I was not selected because my hair loss is more diffuse, and they couldn't find a 1-inch spot that would be easy to track. Still, the way the researcher was talking they were quite excited about the potential for scalp hair growth. They are using the same strength as that used in Latisse. This was a major medical center and the head researcher is very well known. Anyways, I haven't tried anything new for hair loss for years becaue I am very skeptical of unproven treatments, but I decided to order some Bimatoprost to see what happens. So I bought some generic from this site and got it yesterday:

http://www.4rx.com/online-pharmacy/cate ... prost.html

I will be starting out applying it to a small spot once a day to see if it does anything. If it actually works and I wanted to apply to my entire scalp it will get very expensive. Even if I would only use .5 ml/day that comes out to nearly $100/month. I saw the earlier post about buying generic pills and making your own solution. Is this something that is feasible? It looks like the inactive ingredients are benzalkonium chloride; sodium chloride; sodium phosphate, dibasic; citric acid; and purified water. I don't know how to go about making a solution even if I had all the ingredients, though.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
^Be sure to keep us up to date on your progress! Don't disappear when you regrow all your hair :)

roi

Reaction score
luke77 i think its feasible to make your own solution..bimatoprost is dissolved in alchohol easily from what i read..
as for the inactive ingredients i believe that they r not necesseery...i dont think that they have a synergestic effect with bimatoprost that can help hair loss.
also first of all the concetration 0,03% isnt that powerful according to alan baumans test..it needs a higher concetration for sure..i wanna test it with 0,05% cause in one study this dose applied to bald monkeys and they had moderate to marked regrowth..
second its expensive as u said ant the ml are to less..u must be careful with each drop!!!!
with the pills that are 200mg all together--->each pill 2mg---->100 pills, u can make a 400 ml topical for a concetration of 0,05% and that will last u at least 6 months

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks roi,

I saw the thing about the concentration not being enough, but the trials using this stuff are using the 0.03% percent concentration, so they must think that this is more than adequate. I tend to trust them, since it would not be at all hard to do the trials at a higher concentration if that's what they thought was needed.

Regarding making my own topical, do you know how I would go about getting detailed instructions for making a topical on my own that would be properly made? I don't want to just buy a bunch of stuff and mix it together without knowing whether the stuff is properly dissolved or being absorbed properly.

Thanks,
Luke

roi

Reaction score
i believe for the absorbation issue that u dont need a delivering agent..thats a scam story from companies that they wanna make profit..watch minoxidil or other topicalsthat we use in our life for other purposes..they adsorb properly..i have talked with a doctor about this and he told me this things i m saying..thats my opinion..
as for the dissolve issue i have read that bimatoprost dissolves really good in pure alchohol..i dont know fluently english and i cant understand very well whatever i m reading from patents..thats what i m searching for...i will probably buy the pills and after i m gonna put 2-3 pills and ia little alchohl and see if it dissolves well

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool. Do you know if those sites that are linked to selling the pills are legitimate? Also if you can post links to patents that you're having trouble with the english I can read...I am a native speaker.

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

luke77 said:
Thanks roi,

I saw the thing about the concentration not being enough, but the trials using this stuff are using the 0.03% percent concentration, so they must think that this is more than adequate. I tend to trust them, since it would not be at all hard to do the trials at a higher concentration if that's what they thought was needed.

Regarding making my own topical, do you know how I would go about getting detailed instructions for making a topical on my own that would be properly made? I don't want to just buy a bunch of stuff and mix it together without knowing whether the stuff is properly dissolved or being absorbed properly.

Thanks,
Luke

Luke,

Are you sure the trials are using the 0.03% concentration of bimatoprost?

FYI...Dr. Rassman stated that he has heard that bimatoprost does not work to promote scalp hair growth.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2009/12/10/b ... the-scalp/

I am pretty sure he was eluding to the use of the 0.03% concentration. Also, I believe Dr. Bauman stated that a higher concentration was needed too. Thus, I am not sure why a study would be conducted solely at a 0.03% concentration.

TheDude

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it is driven by profit margins. Basically, they are selling it to women at that concentration for an outrageous price, compared to the generic price for the same stuff. If it turns out that it works on a man's hair, but it needs higher concentrations to be effective, it is kind of hard to say "ladies, your one ounce bottle costs $ 125.00 per month, but the gentleman's five ounce bottle of Latisse at five times the concentration costs the same!"

Now this is assuming it works on a man's hair, in the first place. I am hopeful that it works and doesn't cause the same effects that minoxidil does, as I am susceptible to the side effects (I have low blood pressure, and minoxidil gives me heart palpitations). Of course, who knows what a high dose of this stuff does, and it could have across the board higher side effects to all users. It would be nice, however, to have some legit options, with FDA testing.