Lex808's story

Lex808

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm 23 and new to the forum. I first noticed that I was losing hair back in 2005 which I just attributed to stress, and so did my doctor. However, my hairloss has gotten progressively worse with diffuse thinning. With every hair that falls, a bit of my confidence falls with it.

I have no family history of hairloss. My testosterone and thyroid levels are normal, and my doctor claims I'm perfectly healthy. HELP! I'm so frustrated and confused. I need to know what you guys think. Thanks!

Attachments

• hair1s.JPG
    hair1s.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,537
  • hair2s.JPG
    hair2s.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 1,540

MSU4life

Reaction score
Yea it looks like you have a little crown thinning. Does your Dr. insisting that your normal mean that he won't perscribe you finasteride? If not get on the big three.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
It looks like male pattern baldness to me. You are positive you have no family history of Male Pattern Baldness at all?

you are showing early sign of it, if its male pattern baldness, you can use finasteride, minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo.

Lex808

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Yep, the doctor prescribed propecia. Should I start rogaine to or hold off on it so I can see what propecia does first?

Thanks guys

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I personally will suggest you to hold off foam for now, just use finasteride for 6 months to see how it helps.

Lex808

Reaction score
I think I trust the advice given on this board more than my doctor, who doesn't really care about it.

Yes, nobody in my family is balding at all....cousins, uncles, grandfather, great grandfather, dad. So that's why I have been in denial.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
I personally will suggest you to hold off foam for now, just use finasteride for 6 months to see how it helps.

I agree with this statement to some extent. Since your loss is located mainly at the vertex (where finasteride has the consensus of working the best) I would just use finasteride and nizoral for a year then reasses. If you do not see the amount of regrowth you desire, add in rogaine. See where the simplest regimen can take you, then move on up from there. Good luck man

Lex808

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Diabetes runs on one side of my family. Has anyone heard of or experienced hair loss as a result of diabetes?

I still don't know if I have male pattern baldness, so I'm trying to assess all other possibilities.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Lex808 said:
Thanks for the advice.

Diabetes runs on one side of my family. Has anyone heard of or experienced hair loss as a result of diabetes?

I still don't know if I have male pattern baldness, so I'm trying to assess all other possibilities.

judging from the crown shot, I will say you most likely have male pattern baldness.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Lex808 said:
Thanks for the advice.

judging from the crown shot, I will say you most likely have male pattern baldness.

Lex808

Reaction score
My hair seems so weak. I can see the hairs flying off my head from the force of the wind. Is that normal?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Lex808 said:
Is rogaine as time sensitive as propecia? (i.e. the earlier you start the better)

yes, it works the same for all hair loss treatments, the earlier you start, the better the chance to recover.

Lex808

Reaction score
so I should start rogaine now, instead of waiting after 6 months or a years as some posters have suggested?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Lex808 said:
so I should start rogaine now, instead of waiting after 6 months or a years as some posters have suggested?

if you start both treatments as once, you won't know which one works for you.

Your hairline seems to be fine, I think you can just go on finasteride for now, try it for at least 6 months and evalue the changes.

finasteride works very well in the crown area which is where you need the most.

GL!

MSU4life

Reaction score
I didnt start rogaine right away and I regret. Its inexpensive, and now I'm just catching up to where I should have been three months ago. If the idea of taking it and being consistent with it doesnt bother you, I would start now.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
You have minor crown loss. Stick to the finasteride for one year then re-acess your situation. Leave the foam up your sleeve for later.

Lex808

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Greatly appreciated.

It seems like after starting propecia, I no longer see minutely thin hairs anymore. Does propecia cause you to lose/shed all the hairs affected by DHT? And right now those damaged follicles are trying to rebuild itself before reemerging again? If it is, then I think it's a good sign.

I'm just trying figure out what is going on.

How exactly does rogaine work that it regrows hair compared to the maintenance properties of propecia?

You guys are the experts.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
actually even the medical experts dont know exactly how rogaine works but they explain it by it helps to thicken the shaft of the hair and turn small vellous hairs terminal again. So it can really help. But with conern to propecia, yes it can cause you to shed a lot of fine hairs and even some that arent so fine. If you go through a shed for the first few months dont stress a bit, even if it looks like its getting thinner its no big deal, things will thicken up and you will stabilize, so yeah, its pretty much a good sign. Just dont dump it if you start getting thinner, it will come back.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Propecia wont make you lose more hair, the real concern about Propecia is if you will get sides from it.

Best of luck!