Londo's story - (45 years old, new pics added 9/14/07)

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I posted a couple of pics in the success stories section, but this is where I'll keep posting updates.

I'm 45. My hair started receding rapidly in my late twenties. That scared me because it happened so fast, but it stabilized

In my thirties I started getting comments on my diffuse bald spot. I didn't think that much of it. What could I do? I tried Minoxidil for a bit. It did some good, but back then it was much more expensive, only 2%, and I had a lot less money, so I gave up on it. It was a hassle too.

Now in my forties. The bald spot got bigger and was looking pretty bad to me. I saw the top of my head in a video monitor and really hated that. I've worn my hair parted down the middle and that kind of hid the thinning that was going on in the front. I had my hair cut and took a good look at the top and front and thought OMG, I'm really going bald now.

My Mom and Dad have fine hair. High foreheads run in my Dad's family. Dad managed to keep most of his hair and took a long time to gray. An uncle on my Dad's side was pretty thin on top, I think. My Mom's brother was very thin on top the last time I saw him. I shouldn't be suprised that my hair is getting thin, but I think looking at actors makes you think your hair will last forever. This seems to be a young board. Believe me, no one wants to lose their hair no matter how old they are. I feel for you guys losing your hair in your twenties.

I started Propecia and 5% Minoxidil January 29, '07. I had no expectations, but have been very pleased with the results. I didn't know about this site and wish I'd found it a long time ago.

Here are some baseline and 4 month pics. This is using only Propecia and 5% Minoxidil. The hair is longer in the after pics, but there was a substantial improvement.

1/29/07 - I think the hair on top is about 3/4 inch long and 1 1/2 at the vertex:
12907x4smallkh6.jpg

Ewwwww! I hate that diffuse thinning!

6/2/07 - I think the hair on top is about 1 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 at the vertex:
6207x4smallme5.jpg

9/14/07 - The hair on top is 3/4 inch again and 3/4 at the vertex:
91407x4smallrz2.jpg

I think the the Propecia is responsible for making my individual hairs darker, thicker, shinier, and healthier looking.

Since the 4 month mark and finding this site I've added Nizoral shampoo and omega 3 in the form of flax seed oil and walnuts since I get very little omega 3 in my diet. I have my hair buzzed now. I'll take some more pictures soon.

Oh, I've had no sheds and very little side effects. Propecia made my nuts sore for a week or so. My libido went up for a bit, but has gone back to normal. My self esteem has gone way up :)

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Nice results, congrats!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your hair looks hella better after 4 months, congrats!

badasshairday III

Established Member
Reaction score
Great results man. You are still very early and treatment and should experience some more regrowth hopefully.

:shock:

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I just went to my hairdresser to have my #3 buzz cut cleaned up. She was like, "Wow, what are you using again?".

If any newbies are reading, remember to take pictures as is recommended by this site. You WILL want the pictures later. Also remember to put Minoxidil anywhere you want hair. I initially put minoxidil on my hair on my temples and up front. I now am also putting minoxidil about 1/2 inch forward of the hairline and am getting a little regrowth.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Londo said:
Thanks everyone.

I just went to my hairdresser to have my #3 buzz cut cleaned up. She was like, "Wow, what are you using again?".

If any newbies are reading, remember to take pictures as is recommended by this site. You WILL want the pictures later. Also remember to put Minoxidil anywhere you want hair. I initially put minoxidil on my hair on my temples and up front. I now am also putting minoxidil about 1/2 inch forward of the hairline and am getting a little regrowth.

You did apply it on your crown too didnt you?

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon, yes I put minoxidil on my bald spot, down the middle, temples, and on the front. Basically everywhere I wanted more hair. I just wanted to emphasize that minoxidil isn't just for the crown like they say on the package and like I've had drummed into my brain since minoxidil came out. Thanks to this site and my experience I can attest to minoxidil working pretty much anywhere you put it.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I see, good to know treatments are working for you.

btw you look like you are in good shape at your age!

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon, thanks. You haven't seen the rest of me though :) God (if he exists) gave me huge trapezius muscles. I don't do anything for those. I have some weight to lose, but I'm basically lazy and this Georgia summer heat is not helping me be active.

Whoever said your body is a temple wasn't lying. Choices you make when you are younger will effect your overall health when you are older, and you will get older. Believe me, the 20 years that have past since I was 25 have gone by in a flash.

For younger guys I would recommend moderate exercise, don't smoke, a good diet, watch your blood pressure, and stay out of the sun. Over excercise or extreme sports will result in cumulative damage to your body. My Dad never let my brother and I play football and I'm thankful now. My brother ended up messing up his knee playing baseball though and he'll feel that injury for life. High blood pressure overworks your heart, again leading to cumulative damage. Too much sun causes wrinkles and damages the skin. Fortunately, we have lots of good sunscreens out there. Use them. Don't overdo the sunbathing and consider self tanning lotions if you want to get some color.

This doesn't mean you can't have fun. Just don't overdo it. When I was about 30 I was benchpressing until my right pec failed. I couldn't bench the 45 pound bar for 3 months. Visually, you can't tell any damage happened. I'll never be the same as before though. I would guess my right pec is about 2/3 as strong as my left now.

Listen to Papa Londo :wink:

Thanks again for the compliment. I think I'll go lift some weights now.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Londo said:
RaginDemon, thanks. You haven't seen the rest of me though :) God (if he exists) gave me huge trapezius muscles. I don't do anything for those. I have some weight to lose, but I'm basically lazy and this Georgia summer heat is not helping me be active.

Whoever said your body is a temple wasn't lying. Choices you make when you are younger will effect your overall health when you are older, and you will get older. Believe me, the 20 years that have past since I was 25 have gone by in a flash.

For younger guys I would recommend moderate exercise, don't smoke, a good diet, watch your blood pressure, and stay out of the sun. Over excercise or extreme sports will result in cumulative damage to your body. My Dad never let my brother and I play football and I'm thankful now. My brother ended up messing up his knee playing baseball though and he'll feel that injury for life. High blood pressure overworks your heart, again leading to cumulative damage. Too much sun causes wrinkles and damages the skin. Fortunately, we have lots of good sunscreens out there. Use them. Don't overdo the sunbathing and consider self tanning lotions if you want to get some color.

This doesn't mean you can't have fun. Just don't overdo it. When I was about 30 I was benchpressing until my right pec failed. I couldn't bench the 45 pound bar for 3 months. Visually, you can't tell any damage happened. I'll never be the same as before though. I would guess my right pec is about 2/3 as strong as my left now.

Listen to Papa Londo :wink:

Thanks again for the compliment. I think I'll go lift some weights now.

Thanks Papa Londo, I really appreciate your advice. I agree with what you say. Exercise but do not over exercise. I used to treat 3 hours a day, (45 mins cardio, 30 mins for abs, and heavy lifting for two muscle groups); 4-5 days a week. I was big, I was fit and ladies loved it. As I grow older, but body started to fail to keep up with my mind. I am just not as motivated and I would have to spend more time studying for a better career. I still manage to go to the gym 3 times a week, I still do cardio and such, but I dont seem to be lifting extreme weights like I once did.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I am 27... and I have been losing my hair for 3 yrs now. :(

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh... 27, I remember it well. I recommend you stop aging there :)

Have you posted pics anywhere? How is your fight going? My late twenties was when my forehead turned French on me and started retreating towards the back of my head. I don't mind the high forehead that much. It was the general thinning I hated the most.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Londo said:
Ahhhh... 27, I remember it well. I recommend you stop aging there :)

Have you posted pics anywhere? How is your fight going? My late twenties was when my forehead turned French on me and started retreating towards the back of my head. I don't mind the high forhead that much. It was the general thinning I hated the most.

I haven't been taking pics of my progress. I think I should be doing that though. My hairline receeded as well but my most concern is the overall thinning as well.

TA45

Established Member
Reaction score
pictures

Whats up RaginDemon?

How is your fight going? Have you taken any pics yet? I think many of us would like to see what your dealing with? Later-Tim

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: pictures

timallen45 said:
Whats up RaginDemon?

How is your fight going? Have you taken any pics yet? I think many of us would like to see what your dealing with? Later-Tim

I will try to get some pics soon...my hairline isnt that bad, but the overall density is quite awful.

bold

Reaction score
could you take a better pic at your temples? Like pushing the hair away to see the hairline?

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at month 6 now. No sheds that I can tell.

bold, you are right, I blew it not taking temple or hairline shots.

My hair is about a #3 (3/8 inch) buzz now. I'll wait until the hair gets to the same length as one of the previous sets of pictures to add new pics.

After my fourth month on finasteride and Min I started putting Minoxidil ahead of my temples and hairline. I'd guess I've only gained about 1/8 inch on them since I started 6 months ago. I guess minimal regrowth is to be expected since these areas haven't had hair on them for 10 years or more. There are some vellus hairs above my temples that I hope will become terminal. My hairline hasn't bothered me so much.

I ordered some Tricomin that I'll add to my regimen when it comes in.

Edited to add: Here is a #3 buzz cut temple pic from August 5, '07 (6 months):

There are a couple rogue terminal hairs growing in the temple area. I wish I knew how to wake their friends up.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hair looks pretty good, doesnt look bald at all.