Make Pattern Baldness Or Itching-related Hairloss?

Is it make pattern baldness or from excessively scratching an itchy scalp?

• Male pattern baldness

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Quit scratching your head

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KPetrosha

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope everyone’s staying safe. I’m a 20 year old male that’s experiencing some thinning of the crown. As the title says, I’m not sure if it’s because of genetics or because I’m fiddling my scalp too much. The reason I have this doubt, as you might see in the photos, is that I think I’m losing hair on only one side of my crown.

My paternal grandfather is bald (unknown what age he started balding), my dad is balding (he started around 45), and maternal grandfather is not bald.

I seem to have an itchy scalp that comes and goes during the day. I notice white flakes and sometimes smaller yellow flakes as well. Naturally, I scratch my scalp when it itches but, I also catch myself fiddling around with and pulling at my hair and scratching my scalp mindlessly.

In short, I’m trying to figure out if I’m balding due to male pattern baldness or if it’s due to consciously/unconsciously scratching at my scalp too much.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

P.S. I cut my hair short because it’s summer here and also because why not.

Attachments

• EF61538F-81F9-4E48-BD14-AEFF5FCB1CEC.jpeg
    EF61538F-81F9-4E48-BD14-AEFF5FCB1CEC.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 198
  • B21DA1DE-1C5F-4F0D-A90F-7AD1F8367D0F.jpeg
    B21DA1DE-1C5F-4F0D-A90F-7AD1F8367D0F.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 43BFBEE8-9577-4F79-B355-5D73FB46631B.jpeg
    43BFBEE8-9577-4F79-B355-5D73FB46631B.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 212

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like thinning but the lighting does not mate it look better either. A combination of phone/laptop cameras plus lighting can make things look way worse they they are in reality. If you really want to know, go to a good dermatologist who can take a proper look with a magnifying glass or you can even take a more advanced test like a trichology one for example, that can spot any signs of miniaturization.

Now regarding the itching it can be caused by male pattern baldness and many people who suffer this condition have the itching coming and going, some have it worse some have it lighter, it depends on a lot of unknown factors... What i have seen to ameliorate it, from my personal experiences of course is diminishing the stress levels through exercise of course, not washing my hair with shampoo more than once or twice a week, being very careful of what i eat, taking some magnesium and vit d, c and even if my baldness hasn't stopped, the itching is almost completely gone, i haven't had it in a while now after long periods of having it constantly, especially in the zones where i was and am balding...

It's complicated and as i said, there are a lot of unknown factors, seek a good dermatologist and get a proper exam, it could save you a lot of stress and you could take action sooner than others, maybe he will even prescribe you some keto shampoo to wash your head with it 2 times a week, i think it cleans the scalp very well and ameliorates the itching to.

KPetrosha

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like thinning but the lighting does not mate it look better either. A combination of phone/laptop cameras plus lighting can make things look way worse they they are in reality. If you really want to know, go to a good dermatologist who can take a proper look with a magnifying glass or you can even take a more advanced test like a trichology one for example, that can spot any signs of miniaturization.

Now regarding the itching it can be caused by male pattern baldness and many people who suffer this condition have the itching coming and going, some have it worse some have it lighter, it depends on a lot of unknown factors... What i have seen to ameliorate it, from my personal experiences of course is diminishing the stress levels through exercise of course, not washing my hair with shampoo more than once or twice a week, being very careful of what i eat, taking some magnesium and vit d, c and even if my baldness hasn't stopped, the itching is almost completely gone, i haven't had it in a while now after long periods of having it constantly, especially in the zones where i was and am balding...

It's complicated and as i said, there are a lot of unknown factors, seek a good dermatologist and get a proper exam, it could save you a lot of stress and you could take action sooner than others, maybe he will even prescribe you some keto shampoo to wash your head with it 2 times a week, i think it cleans the scalp very well and ameliorates the itching to.

Thank you so much for your insight! I exercise daily and eat healthy, but I think I wash my hair too often and with the wrong shampoo (I use this "5-in-1" shampoo that I noticed has SLS and all these notorious skin drying agents in it). I'll be sure to contact a dermatologist should I find it necessary. Thanks again Lord Voldemor- I mean, Tom Riddle

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your insight! I exercise daily and eat healthy, but I think I wash my hair too often and with the wrong shampoo (I use this "5-in-1" shampoo that I noticed has SLS and all these notorious skin drying agents in it). I'll be sure to contact a dermatologist should I find it necessary. Thanks again Lord Voldemor- I mean, Tom Riddle

WE DO NOT SAY HIS NAME IN HERE :D

No worries friend glad if i could be of help. And yes, usually shampoos with parabens and sulfates do not do good on a scalp that is prone to male pattern baldness or other types of alopecia including a variety of scalp skin conditions that could also be triggered by harshly and frequently washing. It's not a must but when you see it with your own eyes on your hair and scalp, when you see studies and literature that also points to it, and when you see also so many user experiences that are the same and that repeat the same thing over and over again, it means that it must be something about it

From what i have read they say that the itching, oily scalp, pimples and so on could happen because of the overproduction of the sebum glands, things saw in people who experience male pattern baldness, or it could be because of extra dry scalp, from the over washing of the hair with these shampoos that have detergent in them, or it could also be folliculitis ( Folliculitis is the infection and inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin except the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. The rash may appear as pimples that come to white tips on the face, chest, back, arms, legs, buttocks, or head ) also because of those extra working sebum glands and many other things, like maybe inflammation from diet or from stress or from whatever it could be.

Try maybe an 1% ketoconazole shampoo without any parabens or sulfates like Regenepure DR for example, it has some saw palmeto in it also, but there are a couple of more so you could look into them if you don't like or want that one. Remember tho that you only need to do it at a maximum of 2 times per week also it could also trigger dry scalp or damaging of the hair, Keto being harsher with it. The thing with washing your hair daily with shampoo is that your sebum glands try to compensate the dryness done on your scalp by shampooing daily. Those detergents in shampoos are very harsh and clean very well but overusing them and you will mostly have and oily head of hair at 2 days max of not washing it, and it takes minimum a year of non washing it daily to revert to normal, if it ever reverts.

KPetrosha

My Regimen
Reaction score
WE DO NOT SAY HIS NAME IN HERE :D

No worries friend glad if i could be of help. And yes, usually shampoos with parabens and sulfates do not do good on a scalp that is prone to male pattern baldness or other types of alopecia including a variety of scalp skin conditions that could also be triggered by harshly and frequently washing. It's not a must but when you see it with your own eyes on your hair and scalp, when you see studies and literature that also points to it, and when you see also so many user experiences that are the same and that repeat the same thing over and over again, it means that it must be something about it

From what i have read they say that the itching, oily scalp, pimples and so on could happen because of the overproduction of the sebum glands, things saw in people who experience male pattern baldness, or it could be because of extra dry scalp, from the over washing of the hair with these shampoos that have detergent in them, or it could also be folliculitis ( Folliculitis is the infection and inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin except the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. The rash may appear as pimples that come to white tips on the face, chest, back, arms, legs, buttocks, or head ) also because of those extra working sebum glands and many other things, like maybe inflammation from diet or from stress or from whatever it could be.

Try maybe an 1% ketoconazole shampoo without any parabens or sulfates like Regenepure DR for example, it has some saw palmeto in it also, but there are a couple of more so you could look into them if you don't like or want that one. Remember tho that you only need to do it at a maximum of 2 times per week also it could also trigger dry scalp or damaging of the hair, Keto being harsher with it. The thing with washing your hair daily with shampoo is that your sebum glands try to compensate the dryness done on your scalp by shampooing daily. Those detergents in shampoos are very harsh and clean very well but overusing them and you will mostly have and oily head of hair at 2 days max of not washing it, and it takes minimum a year of non washing it daily to revert to normal, if it ever reverts.

Excellent! I'm considering using a baby shampoo that is free of parabens and sulfates and monitor the itchiness of my scalp. I can completely relate to my hair feeling oily 2-3 days after not washing, although I used to shampoo only once or twice a week. I have an oily scalp and I think washing my hair close to twice a week with a heavy detergent shampoo did a number on me, especially after doing so for years on end. If I am prone to male patter baldness, I certainly think that using heavy shampoos frequently in this manner did not help.

Thank you so much again! I'm excited to see if this change in regimen will help hair regrowth!

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Male pattern baldness and seb derm. Your scalp looks super red and irritated. Start off rotating tgel and nizoral but then go see a dermatologist because that looks super bad.

Start reading up on propecia too...

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Male pattern baldness and seb derm. Your scalp looks super red and irritated. Start off rotating tgel and nizoral but then go see a dermatologist because that looks super bad.

Start reading up on propecia too...

do they lose their effects if you just keep using them? a dermatologist I went to told me that nizoral doesn't stop working even if I use it forever