Making topicals - reasons and methods

still_trying

Reaction score
Bryan said:
collegechemistrystudent said:
Minoxidil has propylene glycol in it primarily to make the skin more permeable (causing irritation is some people)...

Well, you wouldn't even be able to HAVE a 5% minoxidil solution, without the propylene glycol. The maximum solubility of minoxidil in pure ethanol is only about 2.9%, while it dissolves to about 7.5% in pure propylene glycol. So its role as a solvent in Rogaine is critical, for all those users out there who play the minoxidil "Numbers Game"! :)

Bryan

then how does dr lee make minoxidil without PG at a 5% concentration??

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
He substitutes glycerin for the propylene glycol.

CCS

Reaction score
so diluting rogaine with isopropyl alcohol preciptites minoxidil

So I advised some people to dilute their rogaine with 70% isopropyl alcholol if they can't stand the irritation, rather than just not use it. But these people are going to precipitate some of the minoxidil when they do this. I guess 2.9% is better than nothing.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
If people are sensitive to propylene glycol, they should just use Dr. Lee's PPG-free version.

CCS

Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score
another vehicle

http://www.herbalremedies.com/dmso.html ... atch_type=

this is supposed to be a good vehicle, or might need to be combined with emu oil. I'm really starting to doubt enough dutasteride or finasteride is absorbed through the skin. very annoying. still researching. i'm squirting tablets in anyway, though. I have the money.

Kiem

Reaction score
College, i usually just suck on the Proscar pill, to get rid of the coating, then crush it into a fine powder and then drop it into my Kirklands 5%. Will my method work or am I just ruining the minoxidil and proscar. Thankyou for your time.