Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

truking10

Established Member
Reaction score
ok guys the stress i had was pretty major...heres a timeline

since 2003 been delaing with panic attacks and depression like alot
heres the kicker
2004 in august i began worrying i had cancer ok not just any cancer penile cancer which can lead to amputation!
every day i was a wreck as you can imagine i was constantly seeing docs and self checking it was horrible but mostly all in my mind!
So from august to november i was a complete MESS
then in november i had serious alchol poising throwing up probably 30 times 2 days straight till i had to go to the ER to get IV done.

Now i dont know how that looks to you guys but for me those were just the really hard months with all my anxiety and depression i cant believe im not slick bald!

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
follow up.
well i said i would post anything new and useful i learned from the Doctor...unfortunately not much to add. as has been echoed here a lot, derms don't really focus much on men's hair loss...they just smile and say try propecia.

but i was told that 300 hairs a day is more than one i slikely to shed with male pattern baldness and that there is usually a pattern...that the diffuse like mine is more often the way women exhibit balding. if it is Telogen Effluvium, there should start to be a lot of small shorter hairs appearing all over your scalp a couple months after you get rid of the stress or otherwise inducing factor.

the rec was to take propecia for 6 months and see if it improves, if so, stop taking propecia and see if it gets worse again. if not, it was Telogen Effluvium, if it doess fall out again upon stopping pro, then it is male pattern baldness and you should go back on propecia...

anyway...that's what i got to add.
good luck to us all.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Chew have you especially got thinning in the centre parting? Just because i have and the crown area.I was ready to jump on finasteride.But i waited a while to see if it would improve and now i have regrowth coming through it takes a while for it to sprout up.So give it a few months and if then no change then consider propecia.GOOD LUCK :)

truking10

Established Member
Reaction score
so do u guys think taking propecia for the next 3 months while im recovering from Telogen Effluvium is a good idea to see its just Telogen Effluvium or Telogen Effluvium to male pattern baldness???? make sense

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
though none of the derms i have talked to seem to know much about this, i did find this on Dr. Bernstein's new site...and if it is accompanied by an intro Telogen Effluvium, it might explain some diffuse hair loss...

Diffuse Patterned and Unpatterned Alopecia

Two other types of genetic hair loss in men not often considered by doctors, “Diffuse Patterned Alopeciaâ€￾ and “Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia,â€￾ pose a significant challenge both in diagnosis and in patient management. Understanding these conditions is crucial to the evaluation of hair loss in both men and women, particularly those that are young when the diagnoses may be easily missed, as they may indicate that a patient is not a candidate for surgery. (Bernstein and Rassman “Follicular Transplantation: Patient Evaluation and Surgical Planningâ€￾)

Diffuse Patterned Alopecia (DPA) is an androgenetic alopecia manifested as diffuse thinning in the front, top and crown, with a stable permanent zone. In DPA, the entire top of the scalp gradually miniaturizes (thins) without passing through the typical Norwood stages. Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia (DUPA) is also androgenetic, but lacks a stable permanent zone and affects men much less often than DPA. DUPA tends to advance faster than DPA and end up in a horseshoe pattern resembling the Norwood class VII. However, unlike the Norwood VII, the DUPA horseshoe can look almost transparent due to the low density of the back and sides. Differentiating between DPA and DUPA is very important because DPA patients often make good transplant candidates, whereas DUPA patients almost never do, as they eventually have extensive hair loss without a stable zone for harvesting.

The progression of male hair loss in Diffuse Patterned Alopecia (DPA) and Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia (DUPA). In DUPA, the sides thin significantly as well.

this is from:
http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-lo ... cation.php

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
Chew have you especially got thinning in the centre parting? Just because i have and the crown area.I was ready to jump on finasteride.But i waited a while to see if it would improve and now i have regrowth coming through it takes a while for it to sprout up.So give it a few months and if then no change then consider propecia.GOOD LUCK :)

yes, the center part does seem to show it the most.
the derm has told me to try propecia for 6 months as i said in the earlier post, but i would obviously prfer i didn't have to do that.

how long from when you noticed the "exagerated centre part" untill it grew back in?

i hope i am as lucky.
thanks for the thoughts.

G

Sorry for the noob question, but could someone explain to me what Telogen Effluvium is? And not just what it stands for, but what it actually is. Thanks.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey said:

yes, the center part does seem to show it the most.
the derm has told me to try propecia for 6 months as i said in the earlier post, but i would obviously prfer i didn't have to do that.

how long from when you noticed the "exagerated centre part" untill it grew back in?

i hope i am as lucky.
thanks for the thoughts.

My Telogen Effluvium started in November and a bit of regrowth in that area started sprouting up about April time.But the main bulk of it started to come through in the past month so its still visable but its gradually improving.

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey,
do you have any male pattern baldness-ness with it, or did your problem turn out to be Telogen Effluvium only? I do hope that Telogen Effluvium is all that I've got going on, but I have also heard Telogen Effluvium and male pattern baldness can go hand in hand.

I first noticed my bigger part back in September or October...so I am taking a bit longer to fill in.

When it started filling in, did you see lots of new short hairs all at once, or just gradually adding short hairs over time?

and finally, did you use any treatment. You mentioned no propecia, but were there topicals or vits that might have helped.

thanks again.
chew

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
I was told its Telogen Effluvium ? I noticed a bit of regrowth in the centre parting and a bit at the front around april which is still doing well.But over the past 4-6 weeks the centre parting has a load of new hairs and stubble coming through.Also have short regrowth crown area and the vertex has stubble.The front has a fair bit of regrowth coming inThe only part which hasnt got any signs of regrowth is a patch behind my ear.The only things i have taken is multi vitamins biotin msm brewers yeast and nizoral.

G

chaotic646 said:
Sorry for the noob question, but could someone explain to me what Telogen Effluvium is? And not just what it stands for, but what it actually is. Thanks.

please? :)

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey,
thanks also.

I will watch for some regrowth. I do seem to have quite a few hairs that are about an inch long in my part...the rest is more like 4 or 5 inches long. i haven't noticed any stubble, but at this point it is still falling out in rather large amounts. my hope is when the shedding stops the stubble will appear.

i haven't noticed any of the hairs that fall out being thinner than any of the others--and that gives me some hope. i have noticed an occasional hair being "kinkier" than the rest, but maybe some have always been like that and I just didn't scrutinize (sp?) them.

truking10

Established Member
Reaction score
hey mickey or chew did any of you just wait out your Telogen Effluvium before using treatment ??? if so did it thicken up if so in which areas...? is there anything to use to help my Telogen Effluvium

A

Administrator

I know guys who've had thinner hair than this their whole life, and are not experiencing male pattern baldness. However only he knows how thick it used to be. We don't.

Propecia 1mg daily should keep you satisfied for a good 10 years to come. You have no worries.

Please ... please don't overdo it like some guys and just throw the whole kitchen sink at it at this stage though.

Admin

truking10

Established Member
Reaction score
hey admin quick question .....my doctor just called to answer some of my concerns, i asked about my hair turing into mbp after my Telogen Effluvium is finsihed and he said well its possible to get MBP or bring it on quicker because of the Telogen Effluvium but he told me i dont need propecia or any treatment because he doesnt think i have male pattern baldness so he said "THE BEST THING I CAN DO IS FIX THE STRESS AND PAY AS LITTLE ATTENTION TO MY HAIR AS POSSIBLE AND IT WILL RETURN TO CLOSE TO NORMAL IN A FEW MONTHS"....any response to that or suggestions?

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
i guess i have attempted waiting it out over the past 7 or 8 months...and have just decides in July to try treating it...i'm also working on removing some of the stress in my life.

my hair is also still thicker than a lot of people without male pattern baldness...but it is only about 75% of what it was a year ago, and the widening part is a little distressing. the fact that male pattern baldness is progressive by nature is a lot more of my worry than how it looks now.

i basically just wish there was a good test that could be done to let you know if you have Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness...at least knowing which would make me more confortable in my regiment.

truking10

Established Member
Reaction score
chew i know ive been back and forth with this Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness sh*t for too long

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
I made up my mind to wait the full 12 months before i consider any treatment except vitamins and nizoral.I might be taking a risk but doctor said it usually takes a full year sometimes longer before you begin to see results.And now as im nearly in month 10 of it and im seeing regrowth im just going to wait and see what the outcome is before i commit myself to anything. :?