Mohyla103's Story

mohyla103

Reaction score
When I was a teenager I always had a high hairline. It was quite high on the forehead and had a bit of a widow's peak. However, it was still within normal range, and my father at nearly 50 years old had exactly the same kind of hairline. His hair is fantastic in fact. By 50 he had no visible loss and almost no grey either. So I always assumed I just had his "strong" hair... even though my mother's father is NW6 and a couple of my dad's brothers have thinned to NW3 or 4.

My hair was always very fine and limp and impossible to style into anything nice so I always kept it short as a teenager and in my early 20s. I did let it grow out longer once when I was 19, but I didn't style it and didn't really pay attention to how thick or thin it looked. I just liked the feeling of longer hair. Besides this short period, it was always short. Unfortunately, I think this stopped me from noticing the early stages of thinning because frankly it still looks quite good cut short.

Late 2009, I was 24, and still hadn't noticed any thinning. I decided I was sick of short hair and I wanted a longer style, so I started to grow it out. My friend was looking at the back of my head one day and said "you're going bald". I thought he was joking, because he likes mean jokes like that, and he was just looking at the "whorl" in the back, where you can always see a bit of scalp. I felt it with my fingers though and I was surprised that it seemed a lot thinner than before. Just the whorl, though, I thought.

As I grew it out a bit longer, I noticed in the shower that it felt different than when I had longer hair at 19. I thought it was the texture... thinner, or more brittle, and just less volume in general. Strange... but I still didn't think of balding.

Finally I noticed that my bangs were just not covering the temple areas even though they seemed to be long enough. At this point I finally realized that the temples were bare because... there just wasn't any hair coming out of there! The front was still where it had always been but the temples were creeping up. Finally I put it all together and realized.. uh-oh... it's happening already!

As I started researching and reading about miniaturization, I realized this explained the thin feeling of my hair in the shower and in the whorl. It also explained the temples. I probably hadn't noticed anything the past few years because my hair is blonde and fine anyway... so miniaturizing temple hairs barely contrasted with the rest of my hair. Now I could see a completely bare spot where there used to be hair, and the hair behind that was thin, short and sparser than it should be.

I have immediately jumped on finasteride, minoxidil and Nizoral. I'm hoping I've got it early enough to strengthen some of the temple hairs and get a thicker feeling back on top. If that doesn't happen, thankfully my hair could still look good styled short as is.

I'm a little unsure of what Norwood rating I'm at. My sides have gone way back and I've lost the low temple protrusion of hair that even some NW5 or 6 still have... but my front peak has not receded AT ALL (compared to pictures of when I was 18) and is still quite WIDE. The temple loss is deep but not very wide yet. I guess I'm a 3...

Attachments

• dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 217
  • short-right.jpg
    short-right.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 210
  • food-thumbs-up.jpg
    food-thumbs-up.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,772

mohyla103

Reaction score
Here are some more pictures of my hairline from years past before the temples really started thinning.

Attachments

• grad.jpg
    grad.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 207
  • brandon.jpg
    brandon.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 209
  • old-left.jpg
    old-left.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 2,725
  • old-right.jpg
    old-right.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 2,748

mohyla103

Reaction score
Here are recent pics I took on the first day of my regimen. Hopefully in future months these will start to look better.

What is this? About NW3?

Attachments

• initial-left.JPG
    initial-left.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 235
  • initial-right.JPG
    initial-right.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 218
  • initial face.JPG
    initial face.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 208
  • initial frontal.JPG
    initial frontal.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 224
  • initial-vertex2.JPG
    initial-vertex2.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 2,749
  • initial left temple.JPG
    initial left temple.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 213
  • initial right temple.JPG
    initial right temple.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 198

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeh you are deifinitely losing it at the front.
I am glad you have jumped onto the big three, because the earlier your start it the better it wll be for you...

The hair around your ears seems to have been effected as well, so I'd talk to a hair stylist or doctor about that.

As for the crown, that looks fine. It is completely normal to have a crown that size, but I would keep a close eye on it...

My advice would be to keep on the Big 3!

But also jump onto some concealers such as Jason's Thin To Thick, maybe get some shampoo's with emu oil in, as well as biotin and ketoconazole just to ensure you have that thickening effect.

Good luck!

mohyla103

Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
The hair around your ears seems to have been effected as well, so I'd talk to a hair stylist or doctor about that.
But also jump onto some concealers such as Jason's Thin To Thick, maybe get some shampoo's with emu oil in, as well as biotin and ketoconazole just to ensure you have that thickening effect.

Good luck!

My stylist must have just cut it that way around the ears, because if I look now that's all filled in already. I had just had a haircut a few days before those pictures.

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into another shampoo and this Jason's product...

Good luck to you too!

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
Your temples have receded but this could also just be a Maturing hairline. Going off your fathers photo at the age of 49 he has a very high temple area.

Fact of the matter is some ppl just have a very high mature hairline in the temple areas but are not really going blad.

The photo of the crown is a bit hard to go by as you have longer hair so the hair would lay outward plus your crown had an obvious spiral as alot of guy do. This will cause some scalp to always show in that area if the hair is styles in the direction of the spiral.

My advice if your really worried about going baled start taking a low dose daily regime of finasteride 0.25mg would be a good start. Keep in mind that 0.25mg of finasteride or 1/4 of a propecia is 80% as effective as the whole pill.

Treat your temples with a 5% minoxidil solution 2x a day for 12-18 months.

Just stick with it even if you hit a bad shed. Its common so dont freak out

mohyla103

Reaction score
adolobe said:
Your temples have receded but this could also just be a Maturing hairline. Going off your fathers photo at the age of 49 he has a very high temple area.

Fact of the matter is some ppl just have a very high mature hairline in the temple areas but are not really going blad.
My advice if your really worried about going baled start taking a low dose daily regime of finasteride 0.25mg would be a good start. Keep in mind that 0.25mg of finasteride or 1/4 of a propecia is 80% as effective as the whole pill.

Treat your temples with a 5% minoxidil solution 2x a day for 12-18 months.

Just stick with it even if you hit a bad shed. Its common so dont freak out

I will definitely stick with it to see if there is any change. The thing that worries me is that the hair in the temples is already quite high and behind that, the remaining temple hair is very very thin, sparse, and not growing as long as the rest of my head.

When I go back home in a couple months I'll have to compare to my Dad and his balding brother closer.

Thanks for the advice :)

tdawg7669

Reaction score
It COULD be a mature hairline. My story is similar to yours. Virtually the same hairline(mine is a little better but you said you always had a big forehead), no crown loss and my dad has the same hairline as your dad. I saw a dermatologist who told me Ill never be bald but that my hairline loss was unpredictable and prescribed me finasteride. The thing that I have noticed that separates those who recede to a Norwood 2/3 and stop there and those that go past that, is the crown loss. You dont seem to be losing at your crown, so I think you are more likely to end up like your father than a Norwood 4/5/6/7. That being said, it doesnt hurt to stay on finasteride. Im on finasteride, as if I AM balding(my dad's dad was bald but there is little hair loss on my moms side) I want to know I did what was reasonable to keep my hair.

DarkSockedFox

Reaction score
Good on you for getting it started pretty early. I have a similar hairline to you, it's been high since I can remember. Makes it hard to track/identify male pattern baldness lol.

Anyhows, welcome to the board and I hope you see some good results!

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oarf11 said:
andrei_eremenko said:
you're balding...it is not a mature hairline...
What a douche.

yea actually looking at the first images...and then at the first one from the second raw....it looks a huge difference...in density and so on...it is ok to tell it ...I was thinking too that it is a mature hairline...but it wasn't...I am a diffuse thinner...this is it!

grumps

Reaction score
Hey, you stole my hairline!

Seriously though, from looking at your fathers hairline it could just be your hair falling into place (excuse the pun).

What makes it worse for people like us is:

a. High forehead
b. Light hair

....buuuuut on the flip side, it's not even really that bad so try not to worry too much at this stage of your life!

mohyla103

Reaction score
tdawg7669 said:
It COULD be a mature hairline. My story is similar to yours. Virtually the same hairline(mine is a little better but you said you always had a big forehead), no crown loss and my dad has the same hairline as your dad.
The thing that I have noticed that separates those who recede to a Norwood 2/3 and stop there and those that go past that, is the crown loss. You dont seem to be losing at your crown, so I think you are more likely to end up like your father than a Norwood 4/5/6/7.

Yes, it's always been high. If I compare to 17 year old pictures and look at muscle lines though I can see it hasn't receded one bit in the middle, only the temples. Same as yours?

The crown seems OK by sight but it honestly does feel a lot thinner than it used to, hence my staying on finasteride :)

It would be nice to know beforehand just how far and how fast male pattern baldness could progress for each individual, wouldn't it lol...

mohyla103

Reaction score
grumps said:
Hey, you stole my hairline!

Seriously though, from looking at your fathers hairline it could just be your hair falling into place (excuse the pun).

What makes it worse for people like us is:

a. High forehead
b. Light hair

....buuuuut on the flip side, it's not even really that bad so try not to worry too much at this stage of your life!

Haha well it's nice to see a sense of humour!

I'm not too worried but I am not just ignoring it until it gets to a point where I can't help but worry and then it's too late!

mohyla103

Reaction score
One month update

The really low temple area looks fuller now but I think it's just because that hair has grown out slightly.

The scary part is the overhead view where it looks like I've started shedding lots in the temples. Thankfully it doesn't look like that normally, only when I pull my hair far back for a picture. But wow.. it wasn't that bad a month ago.

But that probably means in a few more months it could look better than before :)

Attachments

• onemonth-vertex.jpg
    onemonth-vertex.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 184
  • onemonth-frontal.jpg
    onemonth-frontal.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 188
  • onemonth-face.jpg
    onemonth-face.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 179
  • onemonth-right temple.jpg
    onemonth-right temple.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 203
  • onemonth-left temple.jpg
    onemonth-left temple.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 178
  • onemonth-right.jpg
    onemonth-right.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 176
  • onemonth-left.jpg
    onemonth-left.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 179

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair line is very similar to mine too wtf!! :woot:

Except mine is perhaps slightly lower than yours, cos Im a NW2 at the moment. I myself am on finasteride and nizoral (2%). Lets hope our regimens will help us at least maintain our current hair, which I feel is not really THAT bad.

As for the maturing hairline part, dude I wont sugarcoat anything, but your definitely have male pattern baldness, which can been seen from your thin temples. I dun think mature hair line have such thin temples. I paid $120 for the derm to tell me I have male pattern baldness and my case is slightly better than yours, so I would think you have male pattern baldness...

On a lighter note, both our crowns are pretty thick which can only be a good sign rite?? :punk:

mohyla103

Reaction score
Vanzzzz said:

Except mine is perhaps slightly lower than yours, cos Im a NW2 at the moment. I myself am on finasteride and nizoral (2%). Lets hope our regimens will help us at least maintain our current hair, which I feel is not really THAT bad.

As for the maturing hairline part, dude I wont sugarcoat anything, but your definitely have male pattern baldness, which can been seen from your thin temples. I dun think mature hair line have such thin temples. I paid $120 for the derm to tell me I have male pattern baldness and my case is slightly better than yours, so I would think you have male pattern baldness...

On a lighter note, both our crowns are pretty thick which can only be a good sign rite?? :punk:

You have any pictures up yet? You're right it's not that bad... I didn't even notice it at all with my hair cut short. If we can stay like that for a long time that's amazing.

I never doubted it was male pattern baldness exactly because of the thinning. Others have said it might not be, but I'm sure it is.

Thank god for the intact crown, yes! :woot:

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
mohyla103 said:
Vanzzzz said:

You have any pictures up yet? You're right it's not that bad... I didn't even notice it at all with my hair cut short. If we can stay like that for a long time that's amazing.

I never doubted it was male pattern baldness exactly because of the thinning. Others have said it might not be, but I'm sure it is.

Thank god for the intact crown, yes! :woot:

Yes I do have pics up, which you can see in my thread from the same forum :) .