MSM...worth adding?

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
What exactly is MSM and what does it do?

I'm already taking biotin, would it be worth adding msm as well?

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to take MSM years ago when I first started to recede, I didnt notice much difference in my hair. It supposed to speed up the rate of growth of your existing hair.

nwa101

Reaction score
yes ive been taking msm 1000mg 8 times a day llol
the best one out there that actually helps is Life Brand' look it up on internet and buy it locally good luck :)

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you guys drink that stuff without vomiting? I tried powder msm once with water and I barfed. I think mixing it with something else might help. Then I switched to horse sized msm pills swallowing 8 at a time

Jacob

Reaction score
Einstein said:
How do you guys drink that stuff without vomiting? I tried powder msm once with water and I barfed. I think mixing it with something else might help. Then I switched to horse sized msm pills swallowing 8 at a time

It's not bad just putting the powder in your mouth and drinking a glass of water to wash it down. Sometimes have to swish it around a bit..but it's a lot better than trying to drink it down mixed in water or any other drink..imo. I do this with "green" drinks etc as well.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
Einstein said:

It's not bad just putting the powder in your mouth and drinking a glass of water to wash it down. Sometimes have to swish it around a bit..but it's a lot better than trying to drink it down mixed in water or any other drink..imo. I do this with "green" drinks etc as well.

That might work. I was mixing it with 8-12oz of water. Was awful lol

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
hairhoper said:
Christ squeegee you'll buy any old sh*t.

LOL.. I tried different MSM powder on the market.. Was curious about this one.. :punk:

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes I do MSM and I noticed when I used it sparingly at the time, my shed was reduced some. Then I realized, it was the msm. I was just trying it, not expecting alot. So therefore, I take it daily now.

I'm now up to 2000mg. I know one person who has male pattern baldness like us through a women's disease called pcos and she takes 3-4000mg daily along with pumpkin seed and borage oil to combat her hair loss. The borage oil has the anti androgen gla but borage oil is to risky to the liver for me to take.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
Yes I do MSM and I noticed when I used it sparingly at the time, my shed was reduced some. Then I realized, it was the msm. I was just trying it, not expecting alot. So therefore, I take it daily now.

I'm now up to 2000mg. I know one person who has male pattern baldness like us through a women's disease called pcos and she takes 3-4000mg daily along with pumpkin seed and borage oil to combat her hair loss. The borage oil has the anti androgen gla but borage oil is to risky to the liver for me to take.

Take borage oil with Omega 3 they work together to fight inflammation. You need more Omega 3 than borage oil. PCOS is just like male pattern baldness. just a different name. same f*****g symptoms except for the ovaries. Insulin resistance=androgen excess. Take metformin a drug to lower the % of insulin in your body, you dropped DHT. Still don't know why people don't the connection.. too focus on DHT itself and androgen I guess!

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
rwhairlosstalk said:

Take borage oil with Omega 3 they work together to fight inflammation. You need more Omega 3 than borage oil. PCOS is just like male pattern baldness. just a different name. same f****ing symptoms except for the ovaries. Insulin resistance=androgen excess. Take metformin a drug to lower the % of insulin in your body, you dropped DHT. Still don't know why people don't the connection.. too focus on DHT itself and androgen I guess!
Also I'd be scared to lower insulin as that could increase the risk for diabetes right?

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
If insulin causes hair loss then why do many people taking hgh report hair growth/thickening?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
One of the known target genes of androgen receptor activation is insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-1).

Vertex balding, plasma insulin-like growth factor 1, and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3.
Platz EA, Pollak MN, Willett WC, Giovannucci E.
Source

Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

A recent report suggested that men with vertex balding have higher levels of plasma insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). The association of its major carrier protein, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3), with male pattern hair loss has not been examined.
OBJECTIVE:

We evaluated the relations of plasma concentrations of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 with vertex balding in middle-aged and elderly men.
METHODS:

Participants were 431 male members of the Health Professionals Follow-up Study who responded to a question in 1992 on their hair pattern at 45 years of age and who were 47 to 81 years old when they provided a blood specimen in 1993-1994. Odds ratios (ORs) of vertex balding associated with IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 were estimated from logistic regression models mutually adjusting for each other and controlling for age at blood draw.
RESULTS:

Of the 431 men, 128 had vertex balding at age 45. Compared with men who were not balding, for a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGF-1 level (72.4 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 1. 31 (95% CI, 0.95-1.81). For a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGFBP-3 (957 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 0.62 (95% CI, 0.44-0.88).
CONCLUSION:

Older men with vertex balding have lower circulating levels of IGFBP-3 and higher levels of IGF-1 when controlling for IGFBP-3 level.

Reduction of ventral prostate weight by finasteride is associated with suppression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-I receptor genes and with an increase in IGF binding protein 3.
Huynh H, Seyam RM, Brock GB.
Source

Lady Davis Research Institute of the Jewish General Hospital and Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Abstract

Finasteride, a competitive and specific inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase, is widely used in the treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia. We demonstrate here that finasteride, when administered in an in vivo experimental system, caused ventral prostate regression. Intraprostatic dihydrotestosterone levels decreased, whereas testosterone levels increased in a dose-dependent manner following finasteride treatment. Finasteride also inhibited the expression of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-I receptor genes in the ventral prostate. Finasteride significantly increased IGF binding protein-3 and slightly decreased IGF binding protein-2, -4, and -5 gene expression. Because IGFs are potent mitogens for prostate epithelial cells, this newly described activity of finasteride may contribute to its antiproliferative properties, particularly with regard to the inhibition of prostate growth seen clinically and in animal models.