MSM...worth adding?

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
One of the known target genes of androgen receptor activation is insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-1).

Vertex balding, plasma insulin-like growth factor 1, and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3.
Platz EA, Pollak MN, Willett WC, Giovannucci E.
Source

Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

A recent report suggested that men with vertex balding have higher levels of plasma insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). The association of its major carrier protein, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3), with male pattern hair loss has not been examined.
OBJECTIVE:

We evaluated the relations of plasma concentrations of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 with vertex balding in middle-aged and elderly men.
METHODS:

Participants were 431 male members of the Health Professionals Follow-up Study who responded to a question in 1992 on their hair pattern at 45 years of age and who were 47 to 81 years old when they provided a blood specimen in 1993-1994. Odds ratios (ORs) of vertex balding associated with IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 were estimated from logistic regression models mutually adjusting for each other and controlling for age at blood draw.
RESULTS:

Of the 431 men, 128 had vertex balding at age 45. Compared with men who were not balding, for a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGF-1 level (72.4 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 1. 31 (95% CI, 0.95-1.81). For a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGFBP-3 (957 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 0.62 (95% CI, 0.44-0.88).
CONCLUSION:

Older men with vertex balding have lower circulating levels of IGFBP-3 and higher levels of IGF-1 when controlling for IGFBP-3 level.

Reduction of ventral prostate weight by finasteride is associated with suppression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-I receptor genes and with an increase in IGF binding protein 3.
Huynh H, Seyam RM, Brock GB.
Source

Lady Davis Research Institute of the Jewish General Hospital and Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Abstract

Finasteride, a competitive and specific inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase, is widely used in the treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia. We demonstrate here that finasteride, when administered in an in vivo experimental system, caused ventral prostate regression. Intraprostatic dihydrotestosterone levels decreased, whereas testosterone levels increased in a dose-dependent manner following finasteride treatment. Finasteride also inhibited the expression of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-I receptor genes in the ventral prostate. Finasteride significantly increased IGF binding protein-3 and slightly decreased IGF binding protein-2, -4, and -5 gene expression. Because IGFs are potent mitogens for prostate epithelial cells, this newly described activity of finasteride may contribute to its antiproliferative properties, particularly with regard to the inhibition of prostate growth seen clinically and in animal models.

... and how is this relevant to MSM?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
IGFBP-3 is a carrier for IGF-1, meaning that IGF-1 binds IGFBP-3, creating a complex whose combined molecular weight and binding affinity allows the growth factor to have an increased half-life in serum. Without binding to IGFBP-3, IGF-1 is cleared rapidly through the kidney, due to its low molecular weight. But when bound to IGFBP-3, IGF-1 evades renal clearance. Also, since IGFBP-3 has a lower affinity for IGF-1 than IGF-1 has for its receptor, IGFR, its binding does not interfere with IGF-1 function.

Free IGF-1= bad for your hair
Bounded IGF-1- Good stuff!

Low-glycemic diet and a diet low in saturated fat have all shown to increase circulating levels of IGFBP-3 as well as increase IGF-1. Many studies out there proving it.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:
One of the known target genes of androgen receptor activation is insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-1).

Vertex balding, plasma insulin-like growth factor 1, and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3.
Source

Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

A recent report suggested that men with vertex balding have higher levels of plasma insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). The association of its major carrier protein, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3), with male pattern hair loss has not been examined.
OBJECTIVE:

We evaluated the relations of plasma concentrations of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 with vertex balding in middle-aged and elderly men.
METHODS:

Participants were 431 male members of the Health Professionals Follow-up Study who responded to a question in 1992 on their hair pattern at 45 years of age and who were 47 to 81 years old when they provided a blood specimen in 1993-1994. Odds ratios (ORs) of vertex balding associated with IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 were estimated from logistic regression models mutually adjusting for each other and controlling for age at blood draw.
RESULTS:

Of the 431 men, 128 had vertex balding at age 45. Compared with men who were not balding, for a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGF-1 level (72.4 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 1. 31 (95% CI, 0.95-1.81). For a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGFBP-3 (957 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 0.62 (95% CI, 0.44-0.88).
CONCLUSION:

Older men with vertex balding have lower circulating levels of IGFBP-3 and higher levels of IGF-1 when controlling for IGFBP-3 level.

Reduction of ventral prostate weight by finasteride is associated with suppression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-I receptor genes and with an increase in IGF binding protein 3.
Source

Lady Davis Research Institute of the Jewish General Hospital and Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Abstract

Finasteride, a competitive and specific inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase, is widely used in the treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia. We demonstrate here that finasteride, when administered in an in vivo experimental system, caused ventral prostate regression. Intraprostatic dihydrotestosterone levels decreased, whereas testosterone levels increased in a dose-dependent manner following finasteride treatment. Finasteride also inhibited the expression of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-I receptor genes in the ventral prostate. Finasteride significantly increased IGF binding protein-3 and slightly decreased IGF binding protein-2, -4, and -5 gene expression. Because IGFs are potent mitogens for prostate epithelial cells, this newly described activity of finasteride may contribute to its antiproliferative properties, particularly with regard to the inhibition of prostate growth seen clinically and in animal models.

Why you have to be so annoying 2020? get lost

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:
Why you have to be so annoying 2020? get lost

how am I annoying? I asked a good question :whistle:

You asked an irrelevant question as per normal with you trolling around.. 2 members were inquiring about insulin/diabetes in this very thread.. Are you damn 18 years? Are you gonna cry your mom if I don't keep it on track with the thread title? use the search engine.. there is like millions threads about the subject.. go learn something and stop trolling. :smack:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
oh yeah 2020.. MSM help the permeability your cells and contain organic sulfur that your hair are made from.. is it relevant enough f*****g monkey? :shakehead:

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
oh yeah 2020.. MSM help the permeability your cells and contain organic sulfur that your hair are made from.. is it relevant enough f****ing monkey? :shakehead:

why are you always so angry? You should start treating that instead...

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:
oh yeah 2020.. MSM help the permeability your cells and contain organic sulfur that your hair are made from.. is it relevant enough f****ing monkey? :shakehead:

ROTFLMAO!!!!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:

why why why why why... this why!

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:

Source

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

OBJECTIVE:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSION:

Source

Abstract

because you midget fukcer he was helping someone in a post where insulin was mentioned. i, in return, in the following post inquired further on insulin more specifically. he answered elaborately. you know, it's what we do here. one member may ask a fukcing question and another member with more info answers it. something you're not accustomed since you keep it simple by posting garbage.

why oh why must you post the most retarded things. why must you troll everyone rather than contributing for once yourelf. you are hereby awarded with being a certified retard, so as hard as it may be, hold on to your extra chromosome next time and think about your post before you hit "send"

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Einstein said:
If insulin causes hair loss then why do many people taking hgh report hair growth/thickening?

Here is the answer:

Growth hormone induced increase in serum IGFBP-3 level is reversed by anabolic steroids in substance abusing power athletes.
Karila T, Koistinen H, Seppälä M, Koistinen R, Seppälä T.
SourceNational Public Health Institute, Laboratory of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Helsinki, Finland.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: Body builders may use growth hormone (GH) and anabolic steroids to increase fitness and muscle mass. GH increases serum concentrations of IGF-I and IGFBP-3. The combined effects of GH and anabolic androgenic steroids on IGFBP-3 and IGF-I levels are not known under authentic substance-abusing conditions. The aim of this study was to investigate this in substance-abusing power athletes.

DESIGN AND PATIENTS: Nine healthy, non-obese and non-competing male power athletes, all aggressive substance abusers, used GH and/or anabolic steroids independently of this study. Blood samples were taken both during and between the drug intake. Sixteen substance non-abusing wrestlers served as controls.

MEASUREMENTS: Serum IGF-I concentration was measured by radioimmunoassay and the IGFBP-3 concentration was measured by two immunofluorometric assays, one detecting proteolytic fragments of IGFBP-3. The capacity of serum to proteolytically cleave IGFBP-3 was studied by the proteolysis assay.

RESULTS: While growth hormone increased the IGFBP-3 and IGF-I concentrations, anabolic steroids decreased the same. Concomitant use of growth hormone and anabolic steroids decreased the IGFBP-3 concentration in five out of six abuse periods in spite of the fact that the IGF-I concentration remained elevated in four of them. However, in two men who were on low calorie diet both the IGF-I and IGFBP-3 concentrations decreased during combined GH/anabolic steroid abuse. No proteolytic fragmentation of IGFBP-3 was observed.

CONCLUSION: Massive abuse of anabolic steroids decreases both the basal and GH-stimulated IGFBP-3 concentrations, whereas its effects on serum IGF-I concentration are variable and affected by low calorie diet. This study demonstrates that detection of GH doping by measuring the IGF-I and/or IGFBP-3 levels has notable confounding factors.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Einstein said:
2020 said:
squeegee said:

Source

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

OBJECTIVE:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSION:

Source

Abstract

because you midget fukcer he was helping someone in a post where insulin was mentioned. i, in return, in the following post inquired further on insulin more specifically. he answered elaborately. you know, it's what we do here. one member may ask a fukcing question and another member with more info answers it. something you're not accustomed since you keep it simple by posting garbage.

why oh why must you post the most retarded things. why must you troll everyone rather than contributing for once yourelf. you are hereby awarded with being a certified retard, so as hard as it may be, hold on to your extra chromosome next time and think about your post before you hit "send"

f*****g LOL!! :punk:

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:

Wa haha haaaahahaha I'm still laughing at this ish!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

I am still laughing at that one!

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:

why oh why must you post the most retarded things. why must you troll everyone rather than contributing for once yourelf. you are hereby awarded with being a certified retard, so as hard as it may be, hold on to your extra chromosome next time and think about your post before you hit "send"[quote:3ibfmrgc]

I am still laughing at that one![/quote:3ibfmrgc]

@Squeegee I'm not laughing AT you as really I didn't even read your replies. I honestly don't even know what you said, that he responded to. So it's not you that I'm laughing at. I'm laughing at the sheer humor of his response alone. Just him saying that to someone, anyone, lol is just funny to me.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you. Sincerely not my intention.

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
actually it was pretty funny lol

on a serious note, since this thread is about msm, is it woth adding or not?