my latest plans

CCS

Reaction score
Oleic acid is beneficial, but I think it is better if you add a tiny amount of lye to make it less acidic, and I don't think you have the ability to add the right amount. I don't think oleic acid is very strong, and I think other stuff is more important.

If they did not have propylene glycol, you could just use your minoxdil.

Here is my regimen advice:

Buy 5% minoxidil. Use a bottle at night, perhaps by itself, incase is made ineffective by other stuff. Probably not, though.

Have a separate bottle for the morning, which you may wear to work. Dilute it with everclear. Do 36mL of minoxidil to 24mL of everclear. That gives you 3% minoxidil in a vehicle that dries fast, and maybe almost as strong as the 5%. Add 2 borage seed oil capsules to it. They will help your scalp tolerate the alcohol, and will fight inflammation, and give your scalp some good fatty acids. You can put some capsules in the 5% to help inflammation there too if you are sensitive to propylene glycol. To the morning bottle, add 500mg of apple poly, 500mg of green tea extract, and 240mg of grapeseed extract, and maybe a little SOD if you want. That combo will fight hair loss in many ways even after some DHT lands on the androgen receptor. If you can buy some DMSO and octyl salicylate and add 2 mL of each to your mixture, that will greatly increase absorption and take it deep. Quirt 2-4 avodart in there. That is your powerful mixture, and your 5% minoxidil stays clean except for the borage oil so you know it will work. If you can buy PG, you can make your own separate mixture for the night as well, and apply it after the minoxidil, since they are not likely to react fast enough to be a problem on the scalp.

Take dutas. I think it may be better to take 3 per week, and put some on your scalp, so you don't get the big testosterone spike, but still get your scalp taken care off. This is based on the spike being caused by brain DHT dropping and the brain telling the testes to make more testosterone. Grapefruit juice saves money by letting the dutasteride build up.

eat tumeric powder. and drink green tea. all this stuff is needed everywhere in your body. the same stuff that attacks hair may hurt your body too.

docj077

Reaction score
That's a fine treatment plan. Let us know how everything goes. Hopefully, all of us will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

CCS

Reaction score
thanks for all your research. glad to have a future doctor on board, though I still stand by what I told Lookinggood! that only doctors who actively research this stuff will know the answers, and the rest will not have hair treatments in their curriculum.

docj077

Reaction score
Just thought I'd tell you something I just found. According to my research, the TGF-beta signaling pathway is one of the pathways that scientists are looking at for drugs to help stop the formation of beta amyloid in the brain and the development of Alzheimer's. Apparently, TGF-beta target beta amyloid to the brain and assists with its uptake into neurons.

Once again, one heck of a reason to take Turmeric as a supplement.

CCS

Reaction score
I bought 16oz for $3.49.

docj077

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I bought 16oz for $3.49.

I guess that I don't know if that's good or not. I just bought the 95% curcumin root extract with 285/300 mg being pure curcumin. I'm popping two of them a day. One in the morning and one at night.

We'll see how it goes.

CCS

Reaction score
that may explain your more dramatic results

CCS

Reaction score
curcumin in tumeric root does block 5ar, but that is not the main reason, and that is mostly only topically. After androgens bond with the androgen recepter, a chain of chemical pathways is started before the real destruction begins. the curcumin interfers with some of these, giving you a second defense. these pathways happen everywhere in the body, causing damage everywhere, so eating curcumin can keep you healthy.

docj077

Reaction score
I don't know if the statements this site makes are legit, but it was interesting. Apparently, piperine has been found to increase the absorption of curcumin and many other drugs. This supplement has a ton of curcumin and piperine along with it. Check this out and let me know what you think CCS when you have the time.

http://www.health-marketplace.com/Curcumin-Bioperine.htm

Bertie

Reaction score
Everclear is not available for sale in my state (by law). I guess I could investigate online sources or drive to the next state, but is there a substitute for using Everclear as the vehicle?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bertie said:
Everclear is not available for sale in my state (by law). I guess I could investigate online sources or drive to the next state, but is there a substitute for using Everclear as the vehicle?

DMSO. It will make your minoxidil dry much quicker, plus it enhances it's penetration.

The only problem with adding GSE & GTE to minoxidil is it makes it go on a brownish color. If you have brown hair, it's no problem though. I had to really massage it in after adding GTE to keep my scalp from looking stained.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm so lucky. Not only do I not get side effects from anything, be it nizoral, propylene glycol, or high doses of dutasteride, I can put full strength folligen and or any other stuff in my hair and it just is not noticeable. When it drys in my hair, the dry powderiness may not look too good, so I have to rinse it out, but when it is wet, it looks like gel or grease or something.

I think I'll rub it in at night, and during the day I'll just draw fine lines 1/4 inch appart, so it does not get on the hair shafts.

I think one advantage of long hair is it is easier to part so you can go down a ridge with the dropper. I don't go down ridges, I just move the dropper along and memorize where it had been. the key is being able to put out a slow, continuous stream.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS - are you going to try the dermaroller or Novaderm Scalp & Skin Roller to get enhanced minoxidil penetration? I figured if anyone would be up for something like that, it would be you.

I've been contemplating making a dermaroller myself. I bought the diabetic lancets last night. Just need to figure out how to make the penetration not more than 1mm.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
College, do you think that it would be of any benefit to put some green tea caps and grape seed caps in some emu oil as a topical?

Do you think that it would do anything or would it have to be combined with alcohol or some other carrier?

CCS

Reaction score
blueshard said:
College, do you think that it would be of any benefit to put some green tea caps and grape seed caps in some emu oil as a topical?

Do you think that it would do anything or would it have to be combined with alcohol or some other carrier?

I don't think green tea extract is oil soluble. The grape seed extract should be, or at least it is alcohol soluble. I don't know how good the penetration of emu oil is.

CCS

Reaction score
Harie said:
CCS - are you going to try the dermaroller or Novaderm Scalp & Skin Roller to get enhanced minoxidil penetration? I figured if anyone would be up for something like that, it would be you.

I've been contemplating making a dermaroller myself. I bought the diabetic lancets last night. Just need to figure out how to make the penetration not more than 1mm.

I never heard of those. Why only 1mm? The follicle is 7mm deep. I don't want systemic absorption of minoxidil, but I do want more absorption. It is hard to predict what will happen. I think the octyl salicylate will slow absorption some, and as long as I still have a decent amount of PPG, I will have some delay. Does the PPG evaporate or does it all go into the skin?

Maybe I should do 3.5% minoxidil, with 42mL of 5% minoxidil, 2mL each of DMSO, borageseed oil, oleic aicd, and octyl salicylate, and 12mL of everclear. Not sure what that will do.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Just thought I'd tell you something I just found. According to my research, the TGF-beta signaling pathway is one of the pathways that scientists are looking at for drugs to help stop the formation of beta amyloid in the brain and the development of Alzheimer's. Apparently, TGF-beta target beta amyloid to the brain and assists with its uptake into neurons.

I heard it great for arthritic joint too! :freaked:
Once again, one heck of a reason to take Turmeric as a supplement.

CCS

Reaction score
I bought everclear, 750mL for $15 after taxes. I could get a gallon for $40 if I go 4 miles farther, but I don't feel like doing that now, since 750mL will last me a long time.

I'll make up my mixtures tonight and add in the DMSO and octyl salicylate when they arrive, and the oleic acid a bit later after I raise it's pH. I still need to order the borage seed oil. I have not done that since I'm not sure if I should buy a gallon for $120, and split sell it to others to save money, or if I should get 16oz for $40, which is twice the price per oz. Right now I'm just using up my borageseed oil capsules I bought before I knew about bulk prices.