My Propecia plunge 2morrow first a few questions!!!!!

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BATTLETIME said:
Ok after much deliberation i am finally buying Propecia tomorrow for the first time. Im in Ireland & my Doctor has prescribed it & the chemist are making a special order for me.
I'm Irish and this is very interesting. First time I've heard of a doctor in Ireland prescribing it ...was it just a local GP? 'Special order' suggests they still aren't stocking it in pharmacies

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Don't worry about the shedding hair, it's usually a sign that it's working. I shed like CRAZY both when starting finasteride, and 3 years later when I upped it to a 1.25mg dose.

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
In response to Nashville Hairline yes it was a GP that prescribed it. I rang my usual guy & he told me to stay away from it. The other guy was fine even though i am his first Propecia client.
Anyone else think that you dont need to take it every day just maybe a few times a week?
Hey Rawshtak, did your sheds grow back afterwards? When you shed was it very noticeable to you?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
It was noticeable to me, but everyone is going to pay more attention to their hair than other people will. It came back, both times. You can read my whole success story here. Feel free to ask question in that thread so that I can keep track of it :)

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65594

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
OK latest update & i definitely feel i am going through a shed. This is starting to pull me apart now. As of this week ive upped the dose to roughly 0.33 mg of Propecia. I got my hair cut short a week ago & it looks thinner than when i got it cut 2 months ago. Also a little further info here, when i started taking Propecia (also on Rogaine for 15 years & started Nizoral every 3 to 4 days 2 months ago.) I would say that i had about 30% of my hair on top left when i started on Propecia maybe more, what i do is i have it swept forward & i keep it to a number 3 or 4 on the sides every few weeks & let the top grow for about 2 months whilst keeping the remaining fringe trimmed. It gives the feeling of the hair on top thickening as the weeks go by but i never let it get to a ridiculous combover or obvious "hes trying to hide it" syndrome. I have a bit of body on top so whats the harm in being creative? Anyway i felt in the last 3 weeks that the body has got much thinner & im worried. Surely this is the dreaded shed ive heard about? Please tell me this will come back? I just want coverage for my wedding early next year. How long does an average shed last? I will be on Propecia for 2 months on November 5th.
One other thing ive noticed is that when i wash my hair with Nizoral i find it maybe limpens the hair & i feel a bit down but when i use a volumising shampoo my hair feels more silky & fuller (obviously) & im in better mood.
BTW one of the best products i ever came across was that Loreal Elvive thickening shampoo for men in the grey bottle. Cant find it in Ireland as often anymore but boy was that stuff sent from the Gods.
Maybe the fact my hair was cut really short this time is ticking me off & a month of growth will sort it out, but my horseshoe is primed & ready for take off.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just buy the shampoo off the web? it is stocked on a number of stores. The internet is a fantastic resource when it comes down to buying particular products for just about.. Anything.

http://www.jinnysmall.com/products/Lore ... 400ml.html

Have you experienced any side effects from the finasteride? have you informed your wife to be that you are taking it?

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
Yeah she knows im taking it & knows the story but she doesnt know the full story of Propecia, its like girls taking the pill for their guys yeah whatever.
I had a bit of ball ache over an hour ago (i last took 0.33 mg about 2 hours ago). In the first week i had a bit of ball ache but i could handle it. Sex life is fine to now & the old masturbation life is fine although i wouldnt be going 2 times in a row now if you understand. When i was taking 0.25 mg i was fine after a few days, no ball ache but my big thing was depression or brain fog (im prone to depression & anxiety so if you give me something to worry about ill do it).
Yeah must look that shampoo up online.
One extra thing is touching your hair repeatedly bad for it cos i have an insatiable habit of feeling my hair volume cos im afriad that this is the last time i will ever feel it this way? Its a vicious mental cycle.
Finally any hairs ive niticed on my desk at work this week all have bulbs or roots at the end of them & its usually after ive been picking at it.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Am i right in assuming that you are not too concerned about the possibility of persistent side effects? i personally have been suffering severe side effects after using finasteride. Over the last year or two, the dangers of finasteride have became more well known in the UK and in Ireland.

Dr Andrew Rynne - a GP based in ireland has warned young men not to touch finasteride

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4391

http://doctorrynne.blogspot.com/2011/03 ... lasia.html

UK victim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXWVTStnHs

UK victim 2 on radio 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szAACtbdYdM

I am just taking time to spread awareness here. I was in a very happy relationship, probably like yourself and finasteride destroyed it. I only had ball ache and watery semen ON the drug, but coming OFF it was when the real issues started and still persist. It would be a shame if you couldn't get it up on your honeymoon because of a pill for your hair. We get out women to go on the pill so that we can enjoy carefree, amazing sex - one of the best things in life. Finasteride is hardly like the pill, you are taking a very powerful hormone altering drug that is well documented to cause sexual side effects amongst other horrible problems for some hair.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
To go with fincar18's comment, there are many people (all but a very very small portion) who do not get sides at all, let alone persistent sides.

I was in a great relationship before starting finasteride, I never got a single side, and am still married btw.

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
OK guys thanks for the comments & all is welcome, but can someone now maybe respond to the post i made a few back regarding the shedding & touching damage possibility? I dont want this thread to get too derailed.

Thanks.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
On touching. It wont make your hair loss worse, though pulling on the hairs may make hairs already destined to fall soon fall sooner. Also it makes your hair greasy(it does mine) and thus look thinner. Try to fight the urges as much as possible, but it wont make you more bald than you already are.