Need support!!! Decided on finasteride + story + questions

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
DON'T SCROLL DOWN TO THE PHOTOS!!! I am kidding, you can but please feel welcome to read my story.

Do you remember in high school or college that guy with the big afro whether he was black, hispanic or a white dude with a red 'fro? (yeah they exist). Well, that was me! Unfortunately, that person is now dead.

Fast forward ten years later, now I am a 25 year old NW1.7 + severe thinning on the top with no life whatsoever. That guy who used to skateboard, listen to the Deftones, cry while listening to his favorite anthem Stay Together For The Kids, partying like crazy, skipping class guy no longer exists. Now I just don't feel like going out anymore, I occasionally have a beer with a couple of friends or my own brothers (and I avoid it at all costs), skip the gym most of the time, smoke weed alone in the house, I'm also currently developing severe depression and anxiety issues, etc; So yeah I am literally gone, finito.

I used to date all the time, hell, one time a chick told me I had the ugliest and most ridiculous hair ever and I still banged her like there was no tomorrow. Fortunately, I have been with the same girl for 4 years now and she pretty much know all about my condition, fu*king hair loss that is. She knows that is affecting me, but not how much it actually is (depression, anxiety, shamefulness, etc). And I have not told her just yet that I am planning on doing a transplant in the future nor that I was already checked at a clinic.

For now, I am going to use minoxidil or finasteride, but even though I was initially inclined for minoxidil I think the ultimate safe bet is finasteride. So I'll start next week, will check on prices and supplies here in my region and just carry on with the experiment.
Regarding that, I can certainly use ALL advice as I can on how to start the treatment.
- I want to know for sure, if I take finasteride, at was dose I should start? (1 mg every other day /0.5 mg per day?)
- How long, if presented, the shedding will last? At what stage it normally manifests? And, is it just shed only or shed + noticeable recession?
- Do I need to see a doctor when doing this?
I am aware of the sexual side effects so I'll probably take something for testosterone/libido along with it (if it's a good idea).

Anyway, I want all the responses I can get. To prove my authenticity I'm posting my pics from when I was an actual spirit and now that I have become nothing more than a shell.

Pre.jpgPost.jpg

I am devastated but goddamn I will not give up to this horse****. I will fight 'till the last follicle and I will keep you posted brothers. Cheers.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First of all my hairstructure is even worse. To get to the question you should first start with 1 mg also don't take something for testosterone but first see how your body reacts to finasteride there is 98% chance that you don't experience side effects. How long the shedding will last etc depends on the person.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
You seem to have a lot of hair, albeit miniaturized ones. If you are an average responder to finasteride and min, you could get your afro back!
Give it one year with finasteride and min, and don't bother with supplements for libido. Most people don't get any sides, and there is no reason why you should be so unlucky. Just don't psyche yourself out.
Don't be scared of shedding. It would have happened with or without treatment.

In the mean time, try to get out of your funk, knowing that you are doing all that you can. Start lifting, it helps to see positive changes in your body, and hopefully your hair will follow.

You are 25 and your hairloss is not too bad. I believe that you could get it all back without hair transplants. Just be consistent.

Go to your doctor and try to get 5mg pills perscribed, and take any dose above 0.5mg. Won't really make a difference. If he does not want to, go see a derm. In the mean time, you could ask the doctor who refused to prescribe you one month supply of Propecia which is much more expensive, but just so you are not wasting your time trying to get the cheap pills.

Lastly, buy minoxidil foam and liquid. I would go for Kirkland minoxidil and Rogaine foam. The foam is pretty much undetectable so you can use it in the morning, and Kirkland minoxidil at night which is really cheap. Get 5% versions. Start asap. If you get an itchy scalp, and it doesn't get better for a few weeks, drop the liquid and use the foam twice daily.

Take pictures every month and be patient. I really think you have a lot to save :)

Can't wait to see your fro in a year.
Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don't forget the nizoral shampoo twice a week. Keeps your scalp clean and healthy, and there is some evidence that it works as an antiandrogen.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
start at 1mg or 1.25mg daily but it doesn't really matter much.

IDK, maybe if you see a hairstylist they can do something with your hair to make it look better

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
@2bald2young I really appreciate the feedback man, but the fact that your condition is worse does not make me feel better at all. I don't think I'm competing against balding guys, if I am competing is with those who don't have a receding hairline, bald patches, thinning hair, etc.

@eenrak Whoa, you pretty much told me what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot! I'll try combining these products, I had no idea you could and I will definitely publish my progress.

@zzzzz I think I'll go with the buzz cut, it's terrifying because I never had, never had to. I just hate to see that thin area on the front.

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hairline seems pretty intact. Have you considered cutting your hair really short? Like anywhere from a 1 to a 3?
There might be less contrast that way. It will also make applying minoxidil much easier.

okay, nevermind. I see you wrote that you might go with a buzz cut.

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe try toppik or another hair concealer for your hair. I personally think it would make a big difference for your hair :)

This is a great suggestion If you end up not buzzing your hair. Hair fibers work great especially for curly hair. It won't fight hairloss, but it will bring back some of that confidence.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks peeps. I'll have this in mind after trying the buzz cut, I'm very sure I won't like it at all but I feel oblige to try it anyways.

My finasteride arrives today... I'm having a buzz cut... I will hit the gym rigorously from now on... Sh*t, I just realized I'm at war! Wish me luck.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
So, on my third day with finasteride and had a buzz cut. I'm definitely balder than I thought and this has me scared shiitless to be honest.
buzz 1.jpgbuzz 2.JPGbuzz 3.jpg

albionlad

Reaction score
You look to have a good coverage and in tact hairline. I look forward to seeing how finasteride works for you :)

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
One month in:
1 mg finasteride every day. I've been taking a local brand Alfilo, but had to move out so I'll use the other box I had for this month and then jump to Propecia the following month. Also, I will reduce my dose starting now because of sides, 1 mg eod.
I added Nizoral shampoo 2% 3 times a week (eod or e2d) at the 18 day-mark. No significant changes whatsoever only that it does take care of my oily scalp :)

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
What sides have you been experiencing Mr. Patches?

Slight decrease in libido and watery semen. The jizz thing was resolved by taking zinc supplements (it really works). However, I've been experiencing really bad ball pains, the last one in particular was almost unbearable and it freaked me out so I lowered the dose to take precautions.

Your are doen't look so bad, with the big 3, i'm sure you'll get your hair back, you'll see!!

Thanks, I'm not using minoxidil though. I'll try finasteride and nizoral alone and hopefully see some results but I'll save it for later, I might need it.

Toms

Established Member
Reaction score
Are your ballaches over? I'm also about to start finasteride.

Damn dude, good luck on your regimen, hope to see your afro. ;)

viet nom nom

Established Member
Reaction score
The good news is that you look A LOT better now that you've cut it short. Even if you don't get all the way back to fro status, even a little regrowth will put you in pretty good shape.

albionlad

Reaction score
Keep fighting the good fight, would love to see you get some long term success given your story on the first post