Negatives on MSM?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
anecdotal responses from the forum(s) all seem to agree tha MSM does make your hair and nails grow faster - and I don't recall anyone ever claiming regrowth.

joints, bone and pain wise - also good stuff. I forget if mentioned it in this thread or not - but shortly after starting on MSM - this rotator cuff pain I'd had for a long long time just disappeared.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wolfdude said:
Does anybody know of a study done on it or have hard evidence of it working with out other hair growing variables?

http://www.hairloss-research.org/february3.html

A recent, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot trial, performed by Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D., showed that 100% of the subjects on MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane), a nutritional supplement that provides biologically active sulfur, showed increased hair growth compared to the group on placebo.

[...]

The hair trial involved a total of 21 patients — 5 women and 16 men. Data was collected by certified cosmetologists under the direction of Dr. Lawrence. The trial parameters included hair length, brilliance, and diameter of the individual hair shafts using industry standard measurement scales.

Wolfdude

Reaction score
-wookster-
Thanks for providing the info on the MSM study. There weren't very many subjects involved in the trial and I'm not sure of the credibility. But hey it's better than nothing. I guess most people agree that MSM helps. Plus, two of the best success stories on this forum (English & Joeb) used MSM. So I guess thumbs up for MSM! :)

Also, I would like to add that I think stinky farts are a side effect of MSM.
Since I started using MSM I've had more than usual. Not as bad as eating a big bowl of beans but nonetheless worse than normal. I would chalk this one up to the sulfur in it...just like beans have sulfur.

Wolfdude

Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
is MSM mostly for diffuse and crown thinners or what?
I don't think MSM discriminates based on the pattern of hair loss. I believe it helps all hair of the body to grow faster, longer, thicker, and appear healthier. Of course I could be totally wrong. It's hard to think straight with that *** hanging out on your Avatar. :lol: