Norsk's story - (diffuse, NW2.5 , age 25, now 26)

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 25 years old from Norway. According to this thread http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?t=42646 (with pictures) I seem to be NW2.5 diffuse. My family history isn't very encouraging. My father, paternal uncle and paternal grandfather are NW7s. I have more hair than they had at 25, though, which gives me some hope. My father have said that he was bald at 26-27. My maternal grandfather was NW6 or NW7.

I'm not sure when I started losing my hair, but I guess it was some years ago. I didn't really notice before recently, though. My receding temples used to be covered by a fringe and I didn't pay much attention. Some time last year I noticed that my crown seemed thin, but I convinced myself it wouldn't get worse and forgot about it. A few months ago I looked at myself with 2 mirrors and couldn't deny any more the fact that I was going bald. And looking more closely I also realized I have thinning over a larger area on top of my head.

I started reading about male pattern baldness on the internet, and found this site. Decided to get on the big 3. Started on liquid Rogaine and Fungoral (supposed to be the equivalent of nizoral) about 2 months ago. Started on 1/4 proscar 52 days ago. Noticed on day 2 on proscar my libido was drastically reduced. It has perhaps improved a little bit recently. No other sides. Switched from liquid Rogaine to Rogaine foam about a month ago.

I haven't noticed much change in my hair yet, except for the fact that I have buzzed it shorter and shorter. Applying liquid Rogaine made my hair look thinner than it already was. Looking in the mirror got too depressing, so I figured buzzing it would give me some piece of mind. I may try to grow it out again now that I have the foam.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Norsk's story

I'm currently only applying the foam to the back of my head. Because my thin crown bothers me more than my recession, and because temples are supposedly harder to regrow, especially considering the fact that I don't know how long ago I lost them. Would you say this is a good or bad idea?

G

Re: Norsk's story - (NW2.5 , 25 years old)

I don´t understand the point of applying Reogaine only to the crown. Yes, the hairline is harder to regrow, but why not try it? Lack of money? Many also witness thickening of their existing hair which should also be considered a success.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

I'd rather have lots of thickening on my weak crown than small improvements on both crown and hairline. I could of course just use even more foam, but I worry about getting side effects if I overstep the recommended dosage.

G

Using 1 ml on the crown only is quite a lot I think. if I remember correctly I read some where on the leaflet that a larger dosage doesn´t give you more success.

growffs

Reaction score

Mitt hårtap er omtrent identisk med ditt. Jeg er også en såkalt "diffuse thinner". Og jeg kjører på med rogaine over hele hodet. Driter i anbefalt dose egentlig. Så lenge jeg ikke får bivirkninger tenker jeg ikke over mengden, men bare at jeg får dekket området hvor jeg mister hår.

Lykke til!

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm also a bit worried about having massive sheds on my hairline caused by the minoxidil, since I still consider it decent. My crown is bad enough that I'm willing to get worse to get better later.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

do it, not everyone will experience an initial shed though

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

Some pictures showing my crown. Sorry I haven't been very consistent with lighting, angles etc. My hair is longer in the oldest picture, but approximately the same length in the two most recent pictures (about 5 weeks of growth). I don't think I'm either improving or deteriorating significantly. Obviously not a super responder, but still good chances of regrowing some of it, right? I am tempted to switch to Avodart at some point if my crown stays this weak, though.

Libido sides unfortunately never seemed to improve, but didn't get worse, either. Tried l-arginine capsules for some weeks. 3-4 mg pr day. Seemed to have some positive effect, though not as much as hoped. Now trying horny goat weed instead. Can live with the sides, I think.

November 4, 2007 (day 32 on proscar)

December 23, 2007 (day 81 on proscar)

February 22, 2008 (day 142 on proscar)

IBM

Reaction score
Re: Norsk's story - (diffuse, NW2.5 , 25 years old)

You're funny! You look like Taug.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

IBM said:
You're funny! You look like Taug.

Was it suppose to be a compliment?

RaginDemon

Reaction score

He is MUCH better looking than Taug come on.

Taug looks like a troll with that long hair of his.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

I quit Proscar because I fear I'm developing gyno. (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44848) Still not completely sure, but I don't want to risk it. Instead I'm going to try Revivogen twice daily, and Minoxidil 1-2 times daily. Maybe I'll add topical spironolactone later. I at least want to wait until the finasteride sexual sides disappear, so that if spironolactone gives me sides, I'll know it. Here are some pics, taken today, of my hair (about an inch long) at its Revivogen baseline (which is about identical to my Proscar baseline 6 months ago).

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Norsk said:
I quit Proscar because I fear I'm developing gyno. (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44848) Still not completely sure, but I don't want to risk it. Instead I'm going to try Revivogen twice daily, and Minoxidil 1-2 times daily. Maybe I'll add topical spironolactone later. I at least want to wait until the finasteride sexual sides disappear, so that if spironolactone gives me sides, I'll know it. Here are some pics, taken today, of my hair (about an inch long) at its Revivogen baseline (which is about identical to my Proscar baseline 6 months ago).

Honestly I had gyno at the beginning a little also, but it goes away. Your body just needs a little more time to adjust. I think going off finasteride or dutasteride is a bad idea. You can also do a few things to help prevent the gyno like hitting the gym doing bench presses and staying fit. If you sit at home on your *** all day then you will definately get gyno.

amsch

Reaction score

metalheaddude said:
Honestly I had gyno at the beginning a little also, but it goes away. Honestly I had gyno at the beginning a little also, but it goes away. Your body just needs a little more time to adjust. I think going off finasteride or dutasteride is a bad idea. You can also do a few things to help prevent the gyno like hitting the gym doing bench presses and staying fit. If you sit at home on your *** all day then you will definately get gyno.

I'd NEVER suggest that to anyone.. to risky.

metalheaddude

Reaction score

amsch said:
metalheaddude said:
Honestly I had gyno at the beginning a little also, but it goes away. Honestly I had gyno at the beginning a little also, but it goes away. Your body just needs a little more time to adjust. I think going off finasteride or dutasteride is a bad idea. You can also do a few things to help prevent the gyno like hitting the gym doing bench presses and staying fit. If you sit at home on your *** all day then you will definately get gyno.

I'd NEVER suggest that to anyone.. to risky.

Are you being sarcastic? The gyno does go away after a while, but besides all that i think a little gyno is a small price to pay for keeping your hair.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry Norsk for hi-jacking your thread, but I had to ask this from metalheaddude: what exactly is the mechanism behind bench presses' gyno-preventing effect? I'd assume that it would only make it worse since you'd had the fat flappers sitting on top of the muscles which would only exaggerate the gyno.

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score

ghg said:
Sorry Norsk for hi-jacking your thread, but I had to ask this from metalheaddude: what exactly is the mechanism behind bench presses' gyno-preventing effect? I'd assume that it would only make it worse since you'd had the fat flappers sitting on top of the muscles which would only exaggerate the gyno.

not bench press specific, but lower levels of bodyfat = reduced oestrogen levels. Staying healthy and keeping your bodyfat low is definately a valid approach to lowering risk of gyno.