Omega 3 or Omega 3 6 & 9?

Sean68

Reaction score
thanks for the responses guys. ive obviously got the worst fish oil available they were about £1.50 for 30! i do think theyve been helpful but
im not keen to take them in the long term after reading what everyones
said. i think ill have a look in holland and barretts and for the carlssons
ones.

Sean68

Reaction score
Strange Days said:
Sean68 said:
ive been taking omega 3 fish oil(1000mg)

Two things you need to look for:

1.) The EPA/DHA content of the capsules you're taking. Those are the actual omega 3 acids. The '1000mg' aspect is meaningless if there's a miniscule amount of those two acids.

2.) Fish oil should be molecularly distilled in order to remove toxins.

I see you're in the UK, unfortunately there's not as much choice here unless you import from an online U.S. store.

According to this table, some of the Holland & Barrett ones are ok.

theres some good options online. naturesbest.co.uk sell purified fish oil and they have what look like the carlson ones at healthspan.co.uk. pretty
good prices as well.

Strange Days

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with Holland & Barrett, that table is only for mercury/dioxin content of the fish oil.

It doesn't factor in the oxidation process. And H&B store their fish oils in plastic bottles at room temperature in their stores. They do add in some Vit E to their capsules but from my new research it appears they use the most ineffective kind.

Jm0311

Reaction score
i want to get some fish oil for my dad.. i dont know which to get.......do these all have alot of cholestoral and fats? im really confused here

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
i want to get some fish oil for my dad.. i dont know which to get.......do these all have alot of cholestoral and fats? im really confused here

Of course, these are FATS, but they are the healthy form of fats, that promote health.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
johnnyseville said:
I add in some gamma tocopherol caps

Is it gamma tocopherol, or gamma tocopherol acetate, or what, exactly?

Bryan

Not the acetate. All are tocopherol/tocotrienol.

BTW, I would consider not using BHA in your mixture, too much literature over the years pointing to long term carcinogenicity, just google it, the ascorbyl palmitate is fine.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
Not the acetate. All are tocopherol/tocotrienol.

They're un-esterified? Where did you get them? Virtually all such products use acetate or succinate forms.

johnnyseville said:
BTW, I would consider not using BHA in your mixture, too much literature over the years pointing to long term carcinogenicity, just google it, the ascorbyl palmitate is fine.

It's BHT that I use.

What you say is controversial, of course. There's even evidence that BHT and BHA are ANTI-carcinogenic in some situations. I've seen the decline in stomach cancer in America since World War II attributed to the use of BHT in our food. And did you know that Pearson & Shaw (authors of the book Life Extension) were at least at one time (and propbably still are) taking 2 grams of BHT every day as a supplement, apparently to good effect?? That's about 1,000 times the amount that the average American was getting in his diet during the period of peak use of that antioxidant! :freaked: They also talk about a friend of theirs who was taking 6 grams of BHT every day, which is an astonishing amount.

In any event, the danger of oxidized fat is FAR greater than the judicious use of antioxidants like BHT and BHA.

Bryan

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
They're un-esterified? Where did you get them? Virtually all such products use acetate or succinate forms.

They are a formulation sold by Life Extension, Gamma E Tocopherol/Tocotrienols.

Bryan said:
What you say is controversial, of course. There's even evidence that BHT and BHA are ANTI-carcinogenic in some situations. I've seen the decline in stomach cancer in America since World War II attributed to the use of BHT in our food. And did you know that Pearson & Shaw (authors of the book Life Extension) were at least at one time (and propbably still are) taking 2 grams of BHT every day as a supplement, apparently to good effect?? That's about 1,000 times the amount that the average American was getting in his diet during the period of peak use of that antioxidant! They also talk about a friend of theirs who was taking 6 grams of BHT every day, which is an astonishing amount.

In any event, the danger of oxidized fat is FAR greater than the judicious use of antioxidants like BHT and BHA.

I am aware that these were originally advocated by Pearson and Shaw as preservatives and oral ingestion, but are you aware that in studies conducted by the National Cancer Institute, BHT, was found to be carcinogenic in mice, contributing to tumors of the liver and sarcomas of multiple organs. It was also found in other studies to be a catalyst when combined with known carcinogens through enzyme action. The World Health Organization has classified BHT to be possibly carcinogenic to humans. Incidentally, BHT is banned in England. IMO, with so many options available, substances such as BHT and BHA should be avoided in favor of safer alternatives. I go as far as avoiding any dog foods that contain these, why take chances with their health either.

Polish

Reaction score
http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/04/14/f ... hair-loss/

is it possible that fish oil or flaxeeds oil causes hair loss ?
The doctor says he doesn't think it would cause hair loss. But if you look at all the comments left underneath the doctor's response a lot of people complain about hair loss after taking fish/ flaxseed oil.
I take 1000 mg of Fish oil twice daily ,is it safe ?